dark666wulfdark666wulf Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 6 Arc User
edited April 2015 in Bug Reports (PC)
Sadly i don't get any error messages and a fresh wine prefix dose not help :-(
Post edited by dark666wulf on

Comments

• Options
    iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Yeah somebody asked panderus about this and all he could tell them was that they don't support it and to try asking on the STO and CO forums :<
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    If anyone uses codeweavers (pay for wine) could they let us know if that works?
  • Options
    jay7njay7n Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I have same problem on fresh ArchLinux (
  • Options
    sheronissheronis Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    charononus wrote: »
    If anyone uses codeweavers (pay for wine) could they let us know if that works?

Doesn't work. I'm using CrossOver Mac.
  • Options
    failedsomuchfailedsomuch Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    according to the posts it seems to crash on many (all ?) wine configuration, both linux & mac.

I understand the point of dev, but please keep in mind neverwinter was working fine on wine before mod4. And that brought to neverwinter many players who wouldn't have come otherwise.

Wine & logs give quite no information, everything seems to be trapped by the cryptic error handler. So without some help from dev / support tech, diagnostic is like bingo.
  • Options
    catsofultharcatsofulthar Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Ubuntu 14.04, Wine 1.7.22 here, was working before the new module, I logged in fine before yesterday's downtime/patch, not since :(
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    sheronis wrote: »
    Doesn't work. I'm using CrossOver Mac.

Too bad, I know that it's just slightly different than the wine release so I was hoping it did something just different enough to work.
  • Options
    two30two30 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,168 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    It's still possible to launch Owlbear (NW.15.20140707a.17) through Wine, so you can do comparisons of "+relay" logs.

Having done so, a big difference that leaps out is:
    0041:Call KERNEL32.MultiByteToWideChar(0000fde9,00000000,11021ebd "2014-08-15 13:22:57 PROGRAM ASSERT OCCURRED! Unknown video card vendor!\n",00000048,00337ce2,00000049) ret=011de202

My theory is that Module 4 is using a slightly different method of identifying the video card, and fails. However, the failures aren't vendor-specific (people are crashing with both NVIDIA and ATI).
    Neverwinter Tools for evaluating boons, mounts, dyes, etc.
  • Options
    stretch611stretch611 Member Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    This is affecting me as well. I have tried on two separate installs (which were both working in the past.) I even attempted to run with virtualbox. However nothing seems to work.
    @stretch611

Murphster - SS CW | Jennsen Rahl - MoF CW
    Taarna - GWF
    Eowyn - Protector OP | Leela - Devoted OP
    Mara Jade - TR
    Leeloo - Tempt SW | Kahlan Amnell - Fury SW | Galadriel - Damnation SW
    Sturm Nightblade - GF
  • Options
    panderuspanderus Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,007 Cryptic Developer
    edited August 2014
    One of our graphics programmers is also a Linux guy, he took a look during his lunch and is trying to track down a cause. No promises, but we are looking into it.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    panderus wrote: »
    One of our graphics programmers is also a Linux guy, he took a look during his lunch and is trying to track down a cause. No promises, but we are looking into it.

This is greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Great news, if he needs any details or error reports let us know we'll be happy to send them in.
  • Options
    dark666wulfdark666wulf Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2014

I did some debugging but all i could find was the same thing two30 found, i hope your Linux guy will fix it :-) it would not be nice to have the money me and some other linux users spend would be lost ;-)
  • Options
    crypticcliffcrypticcliff Cryptic Developers Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Sorry, guys. We changed up a bunch of stuff about how we compile shaders since the last release, and the WINE stuff never got tested. Mostly because our "Linux testing" setup consists of my (personal) old laptop and we've all been pretty busy the last few months so I haven't booted up the game on it in a while.

I'll try to look into it, assuming they let me take the time to do it, but there probably won't be a solution this weekend. :[
  • Options
    zomdzomd Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Sorry, guys. We changed up a bunch of stuff about how we compile shaders since the last release, and the WINE stuff never got tested. Mostly because our "Linux testing" setup consists of my (personal) old laptop and we've all been pretty busy the last few months so I haven't booted up the game on it in a while.

I'll try to look into it, assuming they let me take the time to do it, but there probably won't be a solution this weekend. :[

Unrelated to linux, but related to graphics. Any idea why the eight core fix for AMD processors resulted in jittery looking framerates for some of us? I disable 4 cores and it runs smoothly. It's weird.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Update: I think I have a fix for this, but there's still no way it's getting in before the weekend. I will beg and plead to get it in ASAP starting Monday.

Sorry for you guys who can't play over the new content over the weekend. I'll try to get this fix pushed through soon.
  • Options
    hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,462 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Does the fix involve any changes to getting mouse and keyboard input? I've verified that if I force user32.RegisterRawInputDevices() to return 1 instead of 0 then loading completes without a crash, but then the game won't respond to any mouse or keyboard events (because I don't have any raw input devices for it to use). Is there a way to get the game to use DirectInput8 *without* always using raw inputs from user32?
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    hustin1 wrote: »
    Does the fix involve any changes to getting mouse and keyboard input? I've verified that if I force user32.RegisterRawInputDevices() to return 1 instead of 0 then loading completes without a crash, but then the game won't respond to any mouse or keyboard events (because I don't have any raw input devices for it to use). Is there a way to get the game to use DirectInput8 *without* always using raw inputs from user32?

Try with this command line parameter: "-enableRawInputSupport 0"

Alternatively, you can force it to think it's running under a different WINE version. The game disables raw input support for versions of WINE early enough to not support it (earlier than 1.5.13, I think). So you can try this command line parameter: "-fakeWineVersion 1.5.12"

(Without the quotes, of course.)

Right now raw input is the only thing that it makes any decision based on version for, so the only difference is whether something is before or after 1.5.13.
  • Options
    kiffehz278kiffehz278 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I shall remain faithful to the developers, hopefully this issue gets resolved. I am quite new to the game and am enjoying the game. One of the firsts games where i can play for 8 hours straight without getting bored.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Update: I think I have a fix for this, but there's still no way it's getting in before the weekend. I will beg and plead to get it in ASAP starting Monday.

Sorry for you guys who can't play over the new content over the weekend. I'll try to get this fix pushed through soon.

You are wonderful.
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Alternatively, you can force it to think it's running under a different WINE version. The game disables raw input support for versions of WINE early enough to not support it (earlier than 1.5.13, I think). So you can try this command line parameter: "-fakeWineVersion 1.5.12"

Right now raw input is the only thing that it makes any decision based on version for, so the only difference is whether something is before or after 1.5.13.

Trying it. Do I run "GameClient -enableRawInputSupport 0" or "Neverwinter -enableRawInputSupport 0"? I'm actually trying this on Windows 2000 (a version that I've patched myself and always worked before last night). I have the raw input API's present as stubs in user32 as adding the "real" versions from XP would involve a ton of additions to win32k.sys, which would not be an easy task (especially since I'd have to expand its internal dispatch table, which is a nightmare).
  • Options
    pointsmanpointsman Member Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited August 2014

Thank you very much! It is greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Give that man a raise.
  • Options
    stretch611stretch611 Member Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    charononus wrote: »
    Give that man a raise.

I'd buy you a beer, but my guess is that you are on the opposite coast. (Im EST).

I appreciate the effort, and I look forward to not using the 8yr old XP machine again.
    @stretch611

Murphster - SS CW | Jennsen Rahl - MoF CW
    Taarna - GWF
    Eowyn - Protector OP | Leela - Devoted OP
    Mara Jade - TR
    Leeloo - Tempt SW | Kahlan Amnell - Fury SW | Galadriel - Damnation SW
    Sturm Nightblade - GF
  • Options
    kn1ghtscrosskn1ghtscross Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited August 2014

Please Help
    For those of us that are not computer literate

where do we put what ?

I've never done more than turn on pc, play, fall asleep, play some more :)

the more detail the better, like your training a dog lol

thx for your time

:)
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Please Help

where do we put what ?

thx for your time

Mac user? If not I recommend taking your system to the guy who set it up for you as going from scratch like that on a linux system is a long lesson on computers.
  • Options
    aderonzaderonz Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 120 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    hustin1 wrote: »
    Trying it. Do I run "GameClient -enableRawInputSupport 0" or "Neverwinter -enableRawInputSupport 0"? I'm actually trying this on Windows 2000 (a version that I've patched myself and always worked before last night). I have the raw input API's present as stubs in user32 as adding the "real" versions from XP would involve a ton of additions to win32k.sys, which would not be an easy task (especially since I'd have to expand its internal dispatch table, which is a nightmare).

i think he's refering to the command line in the launcher's option.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    aderonz wrote: »
    i think he's refering to the command line in the launcher's option.

using the command line it the launcher is the same as launching gameclient from command line with those options. At least it was last time I needed to mess with it back in CB.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Sorry. I was referring to the command line in the OS (cmd.exe). I didn't even know that the launcher had a command line option, but I'll try that now. I've also started investigating porting XP's raw device API to 2k, but that won't be easy. I've ported a ton of things to 2k already (which is why I can run Neverwinter at all), but expanding win32k.sys is never an easy task.
  • Options
    kn1ghtscrosskn1ghtscross Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Please Help

where do we put what ?

thx for your time

sry for wasting your time, I think I'm in the wrong thread as I'm running Win 7
    my problem is game freeze ( although the game is still running ), black screen
    and game crash, since the new session update