What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

After MOD4 update NW crashes on wine/linux

Comments

• Options
    hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,462 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The command-line options don't work for me. The fakeWineVersion one causes the game client to immediately crash and the one that shuts down raw input support doesn't have any effect. I really need a way for it to run in Windows without relying on raw input support.

Or I need to port raw input support to 2k, but I can't guarantee that. I'll try :(
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • Options
    aderonzaderonz Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 120 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    hustin1 wrote: »
    The command-line options don't work for me. The fakeWineVersion one causes the game client to immediately crash and the one that shuts down raw input support doesn't have any effect. I really need a way for it to run in Windows without relying on raw input support.

Or I need to port raw input support to 2k, but I can't guarantee that. I'll try :(

I dont think there is much to be done since the bug is in game's code , with little luck we might be able to play next week , unti then dont forget there is the gateway to keep professions rolling
  • Options
    crypticcliffcrypticcliff Cryptic Developers Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    hustin1 wrote: »

Well, you aren't going to get much help about a Windows specific problem in a thread about WINE crashes. The instructions I gave were specifically for working around raw input issues in WINE because I believed you were running under WINE because you were posting about it in a WINE thread.

Anyone who isn't having an issue with WINE should probably not be in this thread.
  • Options
    ansuz4221ansuz4221 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Try with this command line parameter: "-enableRawInputSupport 0"

Alternatively, you can force it to think it's running under a different WINE version. The game disables raw input support for versions of WINE early enough to not support it (earlier than 1.5.13, I think). So you can try this command line parameter: "-fakeWineVersion 1.5.12"

(Without the quotes, of course.)

Right now raw input is the only thing that it makes any decision based on version for, so the only difference is whether something is before or after 1.5.13.

I tried both parameters and both didn't change the problem.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    ansuz4221 wrote: »
    I tried both parameters and both didn't change the problem.

That answer I gave is unrelated to the main WINE problem, which is in gpu detection for shader compiling. There's no easy workaround for the problem that's keeping people from playing entirely under WINE.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    That answer I gave is unrelated to the main WINE problem, which is in gpu detection for shader compiling. There's no easy workaround for the problem that's keeping people from playing entirely under WINE.

Sorry, missed that one.
  • Options
    zekethesinnerzekethesinner Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 805 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I just did dualboot for this one freaking game, but its not solutions, its just wasting of feaking time, not saying about all those ugly stuff beeing part of windows like broken internet adapter drivers ( LOL LOL LOL, linux community driver for my wi-fi card works better than one samsung made, with samsung one i need to sit next to router, outherway i have only limited access on my internet connection, well done windows/samsung programmers, well done, u r officaly on lvl of NW devs).

Cheers! And i sugest u all to make dualboot for now, and yes, i know how awful it sounds.

• Options
    failedsomuchfailedsomuch Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Sorry, guys. We changed up a bunch of stuff about how we compile shaders since the last release, and the WINE stuff never got tested. Mostly because our "Linux testing" setup consists of my (personal) old laptop and we've all been pretty busy the last few months so I haven't booted up the game on it in a while.

I'll try to look into it, assuming they let me take the time to do it, but there probably won't be a solution this weekend. :[

Cheers & thx for looking into it.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Cheers! And i sugest u all to make dualboot for now, and yes, i know how awful it sounds.

Currently I'm trying to pass my graphics cards into a virtualbox installation. Hope it works, because I'd rather quit NW than using dualboot ;)
  • Options
    blueboxerblueboxer Member Posts: 34
    edited August 2014
    Sorry, guys. We changed up a bunch of stuff about how we compile shaders since the last release, and the WINE stuff never got tested. Mostly because our "Linux testing" setup consists of my (personal) old laptop and we've all been pretty busy the last few months so I haven't booted up the game on it in a while.

I'll try to look into it, assuming they let me take the time to do it, but there probably won't be a solution this weekend. :[

I stumbled across this thread while searching for a dev response to another thread, and frankly I'm quite surprised. I'm a software developer myself, and a fairly basic tenet is test your product on the fragile systems before you go live. The WINE environment is a perfect testbed, because it offers fairly strict checking and excellent error reporting. If your product runs well on WINE, it will probably run flawlessly on nearly all Windows systems. If it doesn't run well, it give reasonably indication what the problem is in many cases.

And clearly this bit you (plural, not you personally Cliff :-) it sounds like you are on our side in this), in the thread I came from there are a dozen pages of Windows users very unhappy with Cryptic over this bug.
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?729081-game-crashing-on-cryptic-loading-screen-on-start

Linux isn't the bulk of your business, but it's a great canary in your coal mine.

It's also smart to not alienate any segment of your population as thoroughly as this bug alienates Linux users. As a highly social game, Neverwinter draws people who want to play with their friends, and if their friends can't play, they'll go elsewhere. They'll *all* go elsewhere. I can tell you that first hand, because tomorrow our guild will be having our weekly run in another game because some guild members can't play Neverwinter. This is the first Sunday run since May where Neverwinter isn't the game.

Hopefully this came across well, but it's just text so I'll take a minute to clarify - Cliff, I'm responding to your post because it sounds like you've got the biggest clue here, I'm trying to help you with supporting arguments and proof of customer concern, not because I am unhappy with what you personally have done. In fact, I thank you for using your personal resources (laptop and lunch break) for the good of the game.

Thank you!

P.S. - you might want to suggest some dev pull on an asbestos helmet and poke their head into that other thread, it's gone unanswered for more than a dozen pages and it's getting ugly. Lots of pitchforks and torches ...
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    blueboxer wrote: »
    I stumbled across this thread while searching for a dev response to another thread, and frankly I'm quite surprised. I'm a software developer myself, and a fairly basic tenet is test your product on the fragile systems before you go live. The WINE environment is a perfect testbed, because it offers fairly strict checking and excellent error reporting. If your product runs well on WINE, it will probably run flawlessly on nearly all Windows systems. If it doesn't run well, it give reasonably indication what the problem is in many cases.

And clearly this bit you (plural, not you personally Cliff :-) it sounds like you are on our side in this), in the thread I came from there are a dozen pages of Windows users very unhappy with Cryptic over this bug.
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?729081-game-crashing-on-cryptic-loading-screen-on-start

Linux isn't the bulk of your business, but it's a great canary in your coal mine.

It's also smart to not alienate any segment of your population as thoroughly as this bug alienates Linux users. As a highly social game, Neverwinter draws people who want to play with their friends, and if their friends can't play, they'll go elsewhere. They'll *all* go elsewhere. I can tell you that first hand, because tomorrow our guild will be having our weekly run in another game because some guild members can't play Neverwinter. This is the first Sunday run since May where Neverwinter isn't the game.

Hopefully this came across well, but it's just text so I'll take a minute to clarify - Cliff, I'm responding to your post because it sounds like you've got the biggest clue here, I'm trying to help you with supporting arguments and proof of customer concern, not because I am unhappy with what you personally have done. In fact, I thank you for using your personal resources (laptop and lunch break) for the good of the game.

Thank you!

P.S. - you might want to suggest some dev pull on an asbestos helmet and poke their head into that other thread, it's gone unanswered for more than a dozen pages and it's getting ugly. Lots of pitchforks and torches ...

Just as a note it's not just linux users effected, it's also mac users that use wine, which means that it could be a significant minority of players that use wine.
  • Options
    hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,462 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Thanks for the support. In my case, I'm running Win2k. For me the crash is due to the fact that I have DirectInput8 support but not raw-input device support. Those are two *entirely* different API's, and just because we support one doesn't mean we support the other! I can't help but wonder if this is causing at least some of the WINE crashes.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • Options
    jeeptyjeepty Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited August 2014

This is good stuff. A dev responding to a linux thread is is something new in my book. Been playing the game awhile on linux, I don't mind waiting a weekend for some real Dev support. Kudos.
  • Options
    kiffehz278kiffehz278 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    jeepty wrote: »
    This is good stuff. A dev responding to a linux thread is is something new in my book. Been playing the game awhile on linux, I don't mind waiting a weekend for some real Dev support. Kudos.

I agree. It's tough enough to find games that have Linux support.
  • Options
    thorsungthorsung Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Have the same issue, glad I found this thread before I posted some where else. Thank you to the devs for looking into it for a fix.

Before NW I was playing FW when it became available in North America with wine under Arch linux. I just couldn't get into it, but find NW lots of fun for me in comparison. Now I run NW under Manjaro Xfce with current wine (1.7.24) of the moment.

I for one out of curiosity would like to know how many people actually play NW under wine, don't you?
  • Options
    wormrunnerwormrunner Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    thorsung wrote: »

I for one out of curiosity would like to know how many people actually play NW under wine, don't you?

If everyone who did posted here, it would probably overfill the thread, but I am another one. Debian Sid, wine 1.6.2, worked fine right up to the update.
  • Options
    anub1sanub1s Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Any updates on this issue. Mac and Linux users have been waiting for 4 days to play the new MOD!
  • Options
    dark666wulfdark666wulf Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    anub1s wrote: »
    Any updates on this issue. Mac and Linux users have been waiting for 4 days to play the new MOD!

Relax, also devs need a weekend and a dev who had a good weekend is a wizard of the code ;-)
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    I am a dev as well just not for this game or games in general.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    anub1s wrote: »

normaly we will have to wait untill thursday when the usual patchs are releasead , but considering the numbber of bugs and that even window's users are having sharder compilation issues , a maintenance happening before thursday is highly expectable.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    If you scroll back and read a bit, monday update was possible, I am just looking for an update about the issue. Even if it's that we have no hope what so ever. Just something, anything.

The projects I am involved in won't be released before testing. In neverwinter, you lose money with every day that it's offline.
  • Options
    maor1357maor1357 Member Posts: 13
    edited August 2014
    I'm a developer aswell, I'm into CMS and online softwares, and even my works are not released until i tested them to satisfation... but I don't always work with a deadline for my releases... so it's a different story.

Again, as crypticcliff said before:
    Update: I think I have a fix for this, but there's still no way it's getting in before the weekend. I will beg and plead to get it in ASAP starting Monday.

Sorry for you guys who can't play over the new content over the weekend. I'll try to get this fix pushed through soon.

Getting it in ASAP starting from Monday.
    It's not even work time at PW, so let's have patience. :)
  • Options
    inkrunnerinkrunner Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I use WINE to play STO, CO, and NWO.

STO and (pre-Mod4) NWO work best, CO crashes about every 15 minutes or so (still have no idea why most of the time) and I can't change graphics settings without crashing unless I use slash commands (trying to get it out of fullscreen will crash it no matter what).

There is a problem that all three games share, though: Occasionally while moving my character around, I'll lose control of it. It'll spin around on its own, my 'w' and 's' keys will reverse or my 'a' and 'd' key will both turn it to the right, I'll run forwards or backwards arbitrarily and be unable to stop, and keyboard input to the game will become intermittent. It's not an issue with my keyboard, either: it works fine for the other games I play.

So I was wondering, do you guys have any similar issues, or better yet fixes for them?
    2iBFtmg.png
  • Options
    thimoteusthimoteus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    inkrunner wrote: »

STO and (pre-Mod4) NWO work best, CO crashes about every 15 minutes or so (still have no idea why most of the time) and I can't change graphics settings without crashing unless I use slash commands (trying to get it out of fullscreen will crash it no matter what).

There is a problem that all three games share, though: Occasionally while moving my character around, I'll lose control of it. It'll spin around on its own, my 'w' and 's' keys will reverse or my 'a' and 'd' key will both turn it to the right, I'll run forwards or backwards arbitrarily and be unable to stop, and keyboard input to the game will become intermittent. It's not an issue with my keyboard, either: it works fine for the other games I play.

So I was wondering, do you guys have any similar issues, or better yet fixes for them?
    I've had similar issues with STO, specifically I'll be in an STF when suddenly almost every key will send a "turn right" signal. I switched desktop environments and that seemed to have solved it, at the very least, the bug never happened when I played under Openbox and happened way too often under Unity.
  • Options
    jeeptyjeepty Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited August 2014

I never had any issues running Neverwinter under wine. Most of the play was on Ubuntu 64 bit, with ubuntu wine (1.6 I believe?) The arc launcher never worked but there was a workaround for that. Game play was perfect adn faster then the windows 7 machine sitting next to the linux box. I recently discovered a Playonlinux method that gets the Arc launcher working, which rocks.

I switched to Neverwinter from DDO ebberon, wich was a horrible linux experience. Many times it was so glitchy that it was unplayable. I think it took three weeks of tweaking in my spare time to get that one to run on Ubuntu 10 (feels like forever ago). Actually, it was more like it "walked" on ubuntu 10. Neverwinter has been a dream for me (pre mod 4 of course).
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    jeepty wrote: »
    I switched to Neverwinter from DDO ebberon, wich was a horrible linux experience. Many times it was so glitchy that it was unplayable. I think it took three weeks of tweaking in my spare time to get that one to run on Ubuntu 10 (feels like forever ago). Actually, it was more like it "walked" on ubuntu 10. Neverwinter has been a dream for me (pre mod 4 of course).

Heh that one just limped on windows too unless you had an ssd and a 64 bit system, even though it had worse graphics and lower system reqs.
  • Options
    edited August 2014

I used to have some keyboard issues but since i started using a virtual desktop for both sto and NW , not only the keybard bugs are gone but the fps increased to , the only cons is not being able to play in full screen but i use a maximised window.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Committed, merged, and waiting to be included in a release build.

As always, remember to run with 2>/dev/null to reduce all the error spam from the raw input system (this error output actually slows down your frame rate).

Good luck!
  • Options
    skit93skit93 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2014

As always, remember to run with 2>/dev/null to reduce all the error spam from the raw input system (this error output actually slows down your frame rate).

Good luck!

Great news, thanks a lot. :)
    Hope the next release will be soon!
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Good luck!

You are my hero! And if it really works we'll all bow before you ;)