What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

After MOD4 update NW crashes on wine/linux

Comments

• Options
    jeeptyjeepty Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I gave it a shot on the preview server. Logging in was slow but that may be because it was the Preview server (I've never used it before). It seemed like it hung on the Neverwinter winter load screen for about 10 minutes (though that is a common glitch for me when first logging in after a new patch).

Thanks Crypticcliff and Panderus. You just won some serious brand loyalty from my end.
  • Options
    ruut68ruut68 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    stretch611 wrote: »
    Well, this thread has almost 5,000 views right now. That puts it very high on the "I am interested in this thread" list (page 7 of 525 page of bug threads when listed by views, and this thread is less than a week old.) While I am sure that some of the people looked at the thread without realizing what Linux/Wine is, I think it also means that many people are interested and actually do play the game on Linux/Wine (or Mac/Crossover as suggested in an earlier post.)

Crypticcliff... I appreciate your work, it is obvious from others that they do as well. THANK YOU. May you get some positive recognition for your efforts.

Panderus... I do not expect linux to ever become "officially supported"; Just supporting all the flavors/hardware combinations of windows is a nightmare without supporting a lot more. But hopefully, you can use this thread as evidence that a linux/wine test environment would be beneficial in internal testing and to validate efforts at keeping linux a viable option even if not officially supported. (and hopefully get CrypticCliff's current and future efforts funded.) Also thank you for your efforts in seeing this fix get this far. (I am a developer myself, and I know if management does not care about an issue, it does not matter if the devs know how to fix it.)
    I have to add +1 to this post.
    Please Cryptic start to think about a support to a linux client.
  • Options
    ansuz4221ansuz4221 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    ruut68 wrote: »

A Linux client would be great. But as long as it's working well with Wine I'm happy with it. So keep using this "isWine" setting ;)

(...currently patching :D )

EDIT: Finished patching - login works, loading works, playing works :D
  • Options
    kiffehz278kiffehz278 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    How do i patch it? it wont patch for me automatically.

Edit: lol never mind i got it figured out.
  • Options
    stretch611stretch611 Member Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    ruut68 wrote: »
    I have to add +1 to this post.

For the record, I am not suggesting that a linux client be created or even that Wine gets supported. I understand that both are expensive to do, and while I would love this to happen, it is easier to enlighten people will little changes over time than to expect a full 180.

I am suggesting that a linux/wine client be used in regular testing to make sure it works and is not broken with future changes. It would also be nice for cryptic to explain how they created the wine environment, in order to allow others to create a similar wine environment to play the game. If support stops at this level it should be fine for most of the linux community.

Many linux users are familiar with tweaking their computers already and many linux users are actually developers as well. They rarely need hand holding, and what support they need they usually can get through forums from others. The idea of "we tested in wine and it works with these options..." is more support than most get and I believe it is enough to go a long way in the linux community.
    @stretch611

Murphster - SS CW | Jennsen Rahl - MoF CW
    Taarna - GWF
    Eowyn - Protector OP | Leela - Devoted OP
    Mara Jade - TR
    Leeloo - Tempt SW | Kahlan Amnell - Fury SW | Galadriel - Damnation SW
    Sturm Nightblade - GF
  • Options
    inkrunnerinkrunner Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    jeepty wrote: »
    I gave it a shot on the preview server. Logging in was slow but that may be because it was the Preview server (I've never used it before). It seemed like it hung on the Neverwinter winter load screen for about 10 minutes (though that is a common glitch for me when first logging in after a new patch).

Thanks Crypticcliff and Panderus. You just won some serious brand loyalty from my end.

That first time hanging on the Neverwinter screen is, at least according to a dev from the STO forums, not a glitch. What's happening is you're loading shaders during that time, which always causes slowing. As you play the game and move the camera to new textures, you may at first experience lag spikes, but they'll go away once the shaders have finished loading and are stored in a cache, ready to be used again.

This is old info, however, so if I misunderstood it or it is not correct, please correct me.
    2iBFtmg.png
  • Options
    kaithankanatharkaithankanathar Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'm sorry, I'm new to this whole Wine thing and new to NWO as well. How do you access the Preview Server?
  • Options
    maor1357maor1357 Member Posts: 13
    edited August 2014
    stretch611 wrote: »
    For the record, I am not suggesting that a linux client be created or even that Wine gets supported. I understand that both are expensive to do, and while I would love this to happen, it is easier to enlighten people will little changes over time than to expect a full 180.

I am suggesting that a linux/wine client be used in regular testing to make sure it works and is not broken with future changes. It would also be nice for cryptic to explain how they created the wine environment, in order to allow others to create a similar wine environment to play the game. If support stops at this level it should be fine for most of the linux community.

Many linux users are familiar with tweaking their computers already and many linux users are actually developers as well. They rarely need hand holding, and what support they need they usually can get through forums from others. The idea of "we tested in wine and it works with these options..." is more support than most get and I believe it is enough to go a long way in the linux community.

Well said! That would be an awesome turning of events!
  • Options
    kenjitamura5kenjitamura5 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'm sorry, I'm new to this whole Wine thing and new to NWO as well. How do you access the Preview Server?

http://nw.perfectworld.com/preview

You might want to just wait for the patch tomorrow. Nothing you do on the preview shard affects your character on the regular servers. It's for testing purposes only, no character advancement.
  • Options
    kaithankanatharkaithankanathar Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Thanks Kenji. Yeah I figured that was the case, but even playing on the preview server helps to manage the withdrawal ya know?
  • Options
    vascodergamervascodergamer Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Hi all,

the game works again under Linux using Wine so a big thank you for fixing that! Even though I don't play regularly under Linux (Performance is too low for a Dungeon), logging in to pray and to look into the AH without a reboot is very cool.

Thanks again,
    Vasco
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Hi guys, it seems I may be having some problems I had not before... now game starts without a problem but freezes on loading screen, plus sometimes makes the "window" invisible, I can't see it at all (even thou it's running).

Anybody knows how to solve theese minor issues?
    I tried all configurations that I'm aware of, but still no result.
    (Also tried reinstalling both wine and Neverwinter)

Currently running on Ubuntu 14.04 wine 1.7.24 (tried even with 1.6.2) with a GeForce 560 Ti
  • Options
    crypticcliffcrypticcliff Cryptic Developers Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    maor1357 wrote: »
    Hi guys, it seems I may be having some problems I had not before... now game starts without a problem but freezes on loading screen, plus sometimes makes the "window" invisible, I can't see it at all (even thou it's running).

Anybody knows how to solve theese minor issues?
    I tried all configurations that I'm aware of, but still no result.
    (Also tried reinstalling both wine and Neverwinter)

Currently running on Ubuntu 14.04 wine 1.7.24 (tried even with 1.6.2) with a GeForce 560 Ti

I'm not sure what's going on with your window not showing up, but the first time you load the game, the loading screen will take a long time. It needs to compile shaders when you run it under WINE, but it saves them so you won't have to sit through it again until a patch adds or changes something in the shader code.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    I see... I'll leave it be for a while, and worry about focus after I'm sure game's going beyond loading screen.

Thanks Cryptic! always The Man ;)
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'm not sure what's going on with your window not showing up, but the first time you load the game, the loading screen will take a long time. It needs to compile shaders when you run it under WINE, but it saves them so you won't have to sit through it again until a patch adds or changes something in the shader code.

Does it do this under windows my first load on windows is equally long. Just a curiousity question.
  • Options
    catsofultharcatsofulthar Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    latest patch fixed it for me, I did however wipe my entire wine setup and start fresh...

Ubuntu 14.04, Wine 1.7.24, Nvidia 9600GT/512 with 331.38 drivers, Quad Q9300 with 8gb ram.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    charononus wrote: »
    Does it do this under windows my first load on windows is equally long. Just a curiousity question.

it doesn't happen on a windows box in my experience. I regularly play on linux with a party member sitting next to me on a windows 8 laptop. Mine has stuck at the Neverwinter load screen for as long as 15 minutes after a patch while the WIndows 8 goes right in after about 1 minute.

And in case anyone is curious, the Linux box is faster, smoother, and plays with better graphics then the windows 8 laptop running side by side. The load time between changing environments is faster as well.

homemade tower
    ubuntu 12.04-14.04 64 bit cpu 4 core
    AMD Phenom II x4 3.1ghz
    4g memory
    Nvidia GTX550 Ti video card (331 driver)

vs

Asus k55n laptop
    windows 8.1 64 bit
    amd a8 4500m 1.9ghz apu 8 core
    4 g memory
    Radeon Hd graphics

Yes, its probably the video card that is giving linux the edge. But it seems that most people say linux can't run a game as well as windows, which I find to be flat out wrong. That is, when the developers make it easy to run the game on linux. Thanks Dev's!
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    it doesn't happen on a windows box in my experience. I regularly play on linux with a party member sitting next to me on a windows 8 laptop. Mine has stuck at the Neverwinter load screen for as long as 15 minutes after a patch while the WIndows 8 goes right in after about 1 minute.

And in case anyone is curious, the Linux box is faster, smoother, and plays with better graphics then the windows 8 laptop running side by side. The load time between changing environments is faster as well.

homemade tower
    ubuntu 12.04-14.04 64 bit cpu 4 core
    AMD Phenom II x4 3.1ghz
    4g memory
    Nvidia GTX550 Ti video card (331 driver)

vs

Asus k55n laptop
    windows 8.1 64 bit
    amd a8 4500m 1.9ghz apu 8 core
    4 g memory
    Radeon Hd graphics

Yes, its probably the video card that is giving linux the edge. But it seems that most people say linux can't run a game as well as windows, which I find to be flat out wrong. That is, when the developers make it easy to run the game on linux. Thanks Dev's!

Odd, after an update both my linux and my windows partition versions take about 3-5 mins to load, which is why I thought it might have been the same thing.
  • Options
    egotheistegotheist Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Many Thanks to Crypticcliff and everyone else who made the game linux/wine compatible again
    runs like charm again
    On my Laptop the game runs way better with linux/wine than with win8, more stable, less laggy, even better resolution.
    Startup is faster too (besides the 1st time after patching)
    Thanks a lot, you are my heroes
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    I have to say "Thank you very much!" one more time. Getting help for an officially unsupported OS is really great. After the patch and the first long loading time the game performs better than before mod 4. Such a good job must be honored :)
  • Options
    mathakusmathakus Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Hey folks, I'm having trouble launching the game, which WINE version do you people use?

I'm getting flooded with GetRawInputBuffer messages. exported WINEDEBUG=-all and it just sits in the loading section with no sign of progression.

I also the command in the "Advanced command line" option in the launcher to disable rawinput support but it didn't make a difference. (I'm using Debian 7 (Wheezy) 64bit, WINE is 32bit)
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    I solved one of the problems, the game is now loading perfectly.

Still have the Focus problem thou... I see it running (using gnome-shell so I have a window preview) but I can't catch focus to the game window.
    Whenever I click, I gain focus for a split second, then it falls on background again.

No idea why.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    mathakus wrote: »
    Hey folks, I'm having trouble launching the game, which WINE version do you people use?

I'm getting flooded with GetRawInputBuffer messages. exported WINEDEBUG=-all and it just sits in the loading section with no sign of progression.

I also the command in the "Advanced command line" option in the launcher to disable rawinput support but it didn't make a difference. (I'm using Debian 7 (Wheezy) 64bit, WINE is 32bit)

If you are making it to the Neverwinter load screen, and it is the first time playing after the patch. then just sit tight. No joke! Let it sit at that load screen for at least 20 minutes before you start to worry. The files are updating while you see that screen and should only take that long the first time you login after a new patch.

Ignore that getrawinputbuffer line. Mine probably repeats that message for 1000 lines. After you get get to the character selection screen you are good to go. The next time you login it should only take a minute or two.

wine 1.7.10 32 bit, winecfg set to windows 7
    on a 64 bit linux mint (debian based)

Also Check this out: http://www.gamersonlinux.com/forum/threads/neverwinter-free-mmo-guide.170/

Its a write for this game installing via Playonlinux, free software that really comes in handy for me. The write up tells you to use linux mint, but mint is built off of Ubuntu, which is debian based, so your OS should work fine.

edit: I also have these options checked in the neverwinter options menu:
    run full screen
    patch on demand
    nothing on the command line
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    charononus wrote: »
    Odd, after an update both my linux and my windows partition versions take about 3-5 mins to load, which is why I thought it might have been the same thing.

I wonder if internet speed matters.... I have a 50 mb download speed over. That could explain the difference in our login speeds.
  • Options
    mathakusmathakus Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    If you are making it to the Neverwinter load screen, and it is the first time playing after the patch. then just sit tight. No joke! Let it sit at that load screen for at least 20 minutes before you start to worry. The files are updating while you see that screen and should only take that long the first time you login after a new patch.

Ignore that getrawinputbuffer line. Mine probably repeats that message for 1000 lines. After you get get to the character selection screen you are good to go. The next time you login it should only take a minute or two.

wine 1.7.10 32 bit, winecfg set to windows 7
    on a 64 bit linux mint (debian based)

Also Check this out: http://www.gamersonlinux.com/forum/threads/neverwinter-free-mmo-guide.170/

Its a write for this game installing via Playonlinux, free software that really comes in handy for me. The write up tells you to use linux mint, but mint is built off of Ubuntu, which is debian based, so your OS should work fine.

edit: I also have these options checked in the neverwinter options menu:
    run full screen
    patch on demand
    nothing on the command line

Thanks! I thought it was just broken. I'll give it a spin tonight :)
  • Options
    zivunho2zivunho2 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I just installed Neverwinter on Ubuntu 14.04 through latest wine, it launches, goes to loading screen, and when it is supposed to go on char select screen it just crashes with no error msg.

Is it still because the game itself?
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    zivunho2 wrote: »
    I just installed Neverwinter on Ubuntu 14.04 through latest wine, it launches, goes to loading screen, and when it is supposed to go on char select screen it just crashes with no error msg.

Is it still because the game itself?

Do you use Steam and tried to type something? That was my problem when I first installed Neverwinter. In combination with Steam using my keyboard almost always caused a game crash. Running Neverwinter via Arc is working perfectly for me.

Right after the patch, that fixed the general wine startup error mentioned in this thread, I think I also had an issue with a sudden game crash (though I don't remember it exactly). After removing "-enableRawInputSupport 0" from the game command line it was solved for me.

I hope your problem is one of these ;)

EDIT: I'm not using wine directly but indirectly through PlayOnLinux (on Linux Mint 17 (base is Ubuntu 14.04)).
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    ansuz4221 wrote: »
    Do you use Steam and tried to type something? That was my problem when I first installed Neverwinter. In combination with Steam using my keyboard almost always caused a game crash. Running Neverwinter via Arc is working perfectly for me.

Right after the patch, that fixed the general wine startup error mentioned in this thread, I think I also had an issue with a sudden game crash (though I don't remember it exactly). After removing "-enableRawInputSupport 0" from the game command line it was solved for me.

I hope your problem is one of these ;)

EDIT: I'm not using wine directly but indirectly through PlayOnLinux (on Linux Mint 17 (base is Ubuntu 14.04)).

Nope, I'm using Arc and I run it with PlayOnLinux also. It runs the game, but when it loads and it suposed to show character selection screen, it just crashes.

Where do I remove that command from?
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    zivunho2 wrote: »
    Where do I remove that command from?

In the launcher options you have an input field for these things. But if you haven't entered it before, you don't have to remove it ;)
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    ansuz4221 wrote: »
    In the launcher options you have an input field for these things. But if you haven't entered it before, you don't have to remove it ;)

Oh, ok. But it still doesn't work. Does your work? I don't know what am I doing wrong :\