• Options
    ruut68ruut68 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Tears of joy.
    Waiting the update...
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Committed, merged, and waiting to be included in a release build.

As always, remember to run with 2>/dev/null to reduce all the error spam from the raw input system (this error output actually slows down your frame rate).

Good luck!

Great news, hopefully we get a patch before thursday. Not only for this but for all the other issues at the moment.
  • Options
    tatamongustatamongus Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Ya know, crypticcliff's work as the "Linux guy" at Cryptic on this bug exemplifies the Linux/WINE/open-source community at its best and warrants kudos (and money, pizza, beer, etc.) from his manager. I don't know how many of us running WINE play this game, but I would guess many, and we *all notice when a company notices us*. Thanks, man.
  • Options
    inkrunnerinkrunner Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited August 2014

As always, remember to run with 2>/dev/null to reduce all the error spam from the raw input system (this error output actually slows down your frame rate).

Good luck!

You're the best, thank you!
    2iBFtmg.png
  • Options
    wambizzlewambizzle Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    As a Linux user and soon to be warlock, I am very grateful for the fix. Thank you!
  • Options
    jeeptyjeepty Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    tatamongus wrote: »
    Ya know, crypticcliff's work as the "Linux guy" at Cryptic on this bug exemplifies the Linux/WINE/open-source community at its best and warrants kudos (and money, pizza, beer, etc.) from his manager. I don't know how many of us running WINE play this game, but I would guess many, and we *all notice when a company notices us*. Thanks, man.

Amen to this!

@crypticcliff - Point me to a survey so I can praise you to your chiefs.
  • Options
    ansuz4221ansuz4221 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    jeepty wrote: »
    Amen to this!

+1 on this ;)
  • Options
    kiffehz278kiffehz278 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    remember to run with 2>/dev/null to reduce all the error spam from the raw input system
    my apologies, i am not very good with computers, could someone explain this further for me? Thank you.
  • Options
    bitalabitala Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    i think u have to add it ot end. example: wine "Newerwinter.exe" 2>/dev/null. and this dumps all the error messeges.
  • Options
    maegmaagmaegmaag Member Posts: 332 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    2 is stderr and > stands for redirection. In this case all error messages are redirected to /dev/null which in unix-like systems is something like "black hole/big void" where things can be thrown infinitely (and lost).

cmd [params ...] 2>/dev/null
    dAuGVxU.png
    A bit nosy NW-DKG7E99X6
    "Hardcore" exploration journey and dungeon crawl. Read its description prior to trying it.
  • Options
    aderonzaderonz Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 120 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    kiffehz278 wrote: »
    my apologies, i am not very good with computers, could someone explain this further for me? Thank you.

it is simply to avoid displaying the errors on the execution shell by redirecting them from the standard output (the screen) to a dump place, it won't in any case fixe your game right now, you'll have to wait for the patch.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Thank you for the explanation, Where exactly do i type in the command? once again, i apologise for my lack of computer knowledge.
  • Options
    aderonzaderonz Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 120 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    open a shel (ctrl + alt + del ) if you are using ubuntu, and type
    wine "/home/$USER/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Cryptic Studios/Neverwinter.exe" 2>/dev/null
    supposing you are using the stabdard wine prefix, but be aware when you are using 2>/dev/null no error will be displayed on your shell.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Oh, thank you very much. Now all that needs to be done is to wait for the patch. My gratitude for the information and assistance.
  • Options
    dark666wulfdark666wulf Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2014

Good luck!

Excellent you are definitely my personal Nerverwinter hero of the year :) i barely can wait to play the new content.
    You should add 2 new sub categories to the forum 1. "thank cliff" and 2. "wine only" ;) so your chief can more easy see what a god job you do.

Will your changes also go to STO, i have a small fear that if there the next update comes the same will happen.
  • Options
    silence1xsilence1x Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Just popped in to say that, while I don't play NW on Linux, I do use Linux at work and @crypticliff's effort in doing this bug fix (in his spare time?) is a great sign of the dedication the open source world shows all the time.

Kudos to cliff - you are the man!!
    I aim to misbehave
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    silence1x wrote: »
    Just popped in to say that, while I don't play NW on Linux, I do use Linux at work and @crypticliff's effort in doing this bug fix (in his spare time?) is a great sign of the dedication the open source world shows all the time.

It's not just this bug fix. If you take a look at the gameprefs file you will also notice things like "isWine" and "wineVersion" :)
  • Options
    thimoteusthimoteus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    ansuz4221 wrote: »
    It's not just this bug fix. If you take a look at the gameprefs file you will also notice things like "isWine" and "wineVersion" :)
    Just checked this out, this is awesome.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    I can't wait for the patch. i'm so excited to be able to join my friends in battle again. Much thanks to Cliff.

Any word on when the patch will be out?
  • Options
    thimoteusthimoteus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'd bet Thursday with the regular maintenance.
  • Options
    failedsomuchfailedsomuch Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    jeepty wrote: »
    Amen to this!

+1.
    Awesome work for that quick fix, thx a lot.
  • Options
    theshadowbreakertheshadowbreaker Member Posts: 48
    edited August 2014

Good luck!
    Thank you, we really appreciate your work.

Ps. Doing WINEDEBUG=-all isn't doing the same thing as 2>/dev/null ? Or this error spam is from game itself not wine?
  • Options
    maor1357maor1357 Member Posts: 13
    edited August 2014
    Many thanks Crypticfliff!
  • Options
    panderuspanderus Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,007 Cryptic Developer
    edited August 2014
    This fix is currently scheduled to make it to Preview later today and Live this week. Please PM me directly if you still have issues after these fixes (related to Linux).

Thanks Cliff for working on your own time to resolve this issue!
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    panderus wrote: »
    This fix is currently scheduled to make it to Preview later today and Live this week. Please PM me directly if you still have issues after these fixes (related to Linux).

Thanks Cliff for working on your own time to resolve this issue!

That's great news, man Cliff better get a promotion or something, and a little praise to those who helped him tackle this problem.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    kiffehz278 wrote: »
    That's great news, man Cliff better get a promotion or something, and a little praise to those who helped him tackle this problem.

totally +1 :D
  • Options
    bitalabitala Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    or at least buy him some beer after work ;)
  • Options
    tatamongustatamongus Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I can confirm, Tue @ 8 P.M. Central, with the 25.2014081a.4 patch, that I can login to the Preview server via the game client, boot the game successfully to the point of the character selection screen, but get dropped back to the game login screen (not the game client) with a "the server is not available at this time" message. I can see the "retrieving characters" message upon login to the game, but it flies by quickly before telling me the server isn't available. I'll try again later in the hopes it's a temporary hiccup.

EDIT: Ubuntu 12.04, Playonlinux, WINE 1.6.2, NVidia 650ti with 331 drivers.

EDIT @ 8:49 Central: It's working! I'm in and everything looks good. Thanks again, crypticcliff!
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Is the patch out?
  • Options
    stretch611stretch611 Member Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    tatamongus wrote: »

Well, this thread has almost 5,000 views right now. That puts it very high on the "I am interested in this thread" list (page 7 of 525 page of bug threads when listed by views, and this thread is less than a week old.) While I am sure that some of the people looked at the thread without realizing what Linux/Wine is, I think it also means that many people are interested and actually do play the game on Linux/Wine (or Mac/Crossover as suggested in an earlier post.)

Crypticcliff... I appreciate your work, it is obvious from others that they do as well. THANK YOU. May you get some positive recognition for your efforts.

Panderus... I do not expect linux to ever become "officially supported"; Just supporting all the flavors/hardware combinations of windows is a nightmare without supporting a lot more. But hopefully, you can use this thread as evidence that a linux/wine test environment would be beneficial in internal testing and to validate efforts at keeping linux a viable option even if not officially supported. (and hopefully get CrypticCliff's current and future efforts funded.) Also thank you for your efforts in seeing this fix get this far. (I am a developer myself, and I know if management does not care about an issue, it does not matter if the devs know how to fix it.)
    @stretch611

Murphster - SS CW | Jennsen Rahl - MoF CW
    Taarna - GWF
    Eowyn - Protector OP | Leela - Devoted OP
    Mara Jade - TR
    Leeloo - Tempt SW | Kahlan Amnell - Fury SW | Galadriel - Damnation SW
    Sturm Nightblade - GF