Options

After MOD4 update NW crashes on wine/linux

1235»

Comments

• Options
    ansuz4221ansuz4221 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    zivunho2 wrote: »
    Oh, ok. But it still doesn't work. Does your work? I don't know what am I doing wrong :\

It's working fine for me. I also used the guide mentioned on the previous page.

http://www.gamersonlinux.com/forum/threads/neverwinter-free-mmo-guide.170/

Some infos about my system:
    • Linux Mint 17 (Ubuntu 14.04)
    • PlayOnLinux 4.2.2 (standard Ubuntu repo)
    • Wine 1.7.10-CSMT-a632585 (somewhere I've read that CSMT improves Nvidia performance (and I think it does :) )
    • libegl1-mesa 10.1.3-0ubuntu0.2 (for OpenGL)
    • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 765M using proprietary driver from standard Ubuntu repo (nvidia-331 331.38-0ubuntu7.1)
    • CPU: i7-4702MQ

My wine conf:
    • Windows-Version: Windows 7
    • DLLs: (don't ask me why which one, I don't remember ;) )
      • d3dx9 (Native, Builtin)
      • d3dcompiler (Native)
      • devenum (Native)
      • dplaysrv (Native, Builtin)
      • dplayx (Native, Builtin)
      • dpnet (Native, Builtin)
      • dpnhpast (Native, Builtin)
      • dpwsockx (Native, Builtin)
      • dxdiagn (Native)

Display settings via PlayOnLinux:
    • GLSL: enabled
    • Direct Draw Renderer: opengl
    • Video memory: 2048 (my GPU has 2048 MB memory)
    • Offscreen Rendering: fbo
    • Strict Draw Ordering: disabled
    • default for the rest

Neverwinter launcher options:
    • everything unchecked
    • commandline: -showfps 1 -showmem 1

My launcher commandline options don't matter (and don't work anymore with mod 5 :( ). GLSL really needs to be enabled. When testing some stuff to improve perfomance I tried disabling GLSL. The game was running really smooth but Cragmire Barrow (where you find your first artifact) and I think Neverdeath were almost totally black.

If you have an AMD CPU and/or an ATI GPU you might need some different settings. I remember that AMD users had some other problems too. You could check out some older bug reports for that.
  • Options
    zivunho2zivunho2 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    ansuz4221 wrote: »
    It's working fine for me. I also used the guide mentioned on the previous page.

http://www.gamersonlinux.com/forum/threads/neverwinter-free-mmo-guide.170/

Some infos about my system:
    • Linux Mint 17 (Ubuntu 14.04)
    • PlayOnLinux 4.2.2 (standard Ubuntu repo)
    • Wine 1.7.10-CSMT-a632585 (somewhere I've read that CSMT improves Nvidia performance (and I think it does :) )
    • libegl1-mesa 10.1.3-0ubuntu0.2 (for OpenGL)
    • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 765M using proprietary driver from standard Ubuntu repo (nvidia-331 331.38-0ubuntu7.1)
    • CPU: i7-4702MQ

My wine conf:
    • Windows-Version: Windows 7
    • DLLs: (don't ask me why which one, I don't remember ;) )
      • d3dx9 (Native, Builtin)
      • d3dcompiler (Native)
      • devenum (Native)
      • dplaysrv (Native, Builtin)
      • dplayx (Native, Builtin)
      • dpnet (Native, Builtin)
      • dpnhpast (Native, Builtin)
      • dpwsockx (Native, Builtin)
      • dxdiagn (Native)

Display settings via PlayOnLinux:
    • GLSL: enabled
    • Direct Draw Renderer: opengl
    • Video memory: 2048 (my GPU has 2048 MB memory)
    • Offscreen Rendering: fbo
    • Strict Draw Ordering: disabled
    • default for the rest

Neverwinter launcher options:
    • everything unchecked
    • commandline: -showfps 1 -showmem 1

My launcher commandline options don't matter (and don't work anymore with mod 5 :( ). GLSL really needs to be enabled. When testing some stuff to improve perfomance I tried disabling GLSL. The game was running really smooth but Cragmire Barrow (where you find your first artifact) and I think Neverdeath were almost totally black.

If you have an AMD CPU and/or an ATI GPU you might need some different settings. I remember that AMD users had some other problems too. You could check out some older bug reports for that.

I did everything like that, and it won't launch ://
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    If anyone can help me configure Wine, i would be delighted.
    I just can't get the game to work.
    Here are my specs:
    AMD Athlon II X4 3.2
    AMD R7 250
    6 GB DDR3

Ubuntu 14.04
    Latest Wine and PlayOnLinux
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Well, maybe it's an AMD issue then. I'm sorry it didn't work for you :(

I hope someone else can help you :)
  • Options
    jeeptyjeepty Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    If anyone can help me configure Wine, i would be delighted.
    I just can't get the game to work.
    Here are my specs:
    AMD Athlon II X4 3.2
    AMD R7 250
    6 GB DDR3

Ubuntu 14.04
    Latest Wine and PlayOnLinux

Make sure it is running on wine 1.7.10, not the standard wine from the ubuntu repository or the latest version of wine (1.7.31?? or so). 1.7.10 is the only one that works for me.

If you are not sure how to check, open Playonlinux. You should have a neverwinter icon there. Click it once then click configure. If the wine version is not 1.7.10 then click the PLUS sign to the right of the wine version field, and add wine 1.7.10, the x86 version (I do this even though I run a 64bit Linux). Once this is done go back to the config screen and make sure that wine 1.7.10 is selected.

I run Neverwinter on an AMD chip as well, and I have nothing added to the command line.

FYI - on the Neverwinter startup screen, before pressing the play button, you can find an "options" link at the top. That is where you can find the command line, at the bottom.

One more thing, you can acess wine config from the Config menu in POL (wine tab). My wine config is set to Windows 7 and I do NOT emulate a vertual desktop (graphics tab), which goes against the gamers on linux write up mentioned above. That alone actually solved a crash problem I had a while back....
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    jeepty wrote: »
    Make sure it is running on wine 1.7.10, not the standard wine from the ubuntu repository or the latest version of wine (1.7.31?? or so). 1.7.10 is the only one that works for me.

That's right. About 2 weeks ago I tried 1.7.24 and had very strange graphic issues, so I switched back to 1.7.10.
    My wine config is set to Windows 7 and I do NOT emulate a vertual desktop (graphics tab), which goes against the gamers on linux write up mentioned above. That alone actually solved a crash problem I had a while back....

Maybe I should have mentioned that too. I've also configured it to not emulate a desktop.
  • Options
    edited November 2014

If you are not sure how to check, open Playonlinux. You should have a neverwinter icon there. Click it once then click configure. If the wine version is not 1.7.10 then click the PLUS sign to the right of the wine version field, and add wine 1.7.10, the x86 version (I do this even though I run a 64bit Linux). Once this is done go back to the config screen and make sure that wine 1.7.10 is selected.

I run Neverwinter on an AMD chip as well, and I have nothing added to the command line.

FYI - on the Neverwinter startup screen, before pressing the play button, you can find an "options" link at the top. That is where you can find the command line, at the bottom.

One more thing, you can acess wine config from the Config menu in POL (wine tab). My wine config is set to Windows 7 and I do NOT emulate a vertual desktop (graphics tab), which goes against the gamers on linux write up mentioned above. That alone actually solved a crash problem I had a while back....

OK so I changed the wine version to 1.7.10, and it's stil the same.
    When I change the Display options like people here said (open GL on) the game won't run at all and when I leave everything on default (except the video memory) the game launches but as soon as it finishes loading and it's suposed to show char screen it crashes to desktop.

I have no idea what else to do, or what is causing the problem.

I'm using the default open driver for graphics, could that be the problem?

Default driver works way better then proprietary, but I didn't try it for Neverwinter, I did for Dota2 and it couldn't even run the game properly.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Before giving up hope, did you manually install these DLL's when you installed Neverwinter via Playonlinux?

Microsoft corefonts
    d3dx9
    tahoma

If not, you can do so after the fact via Playonlinux>arc or Neverwinter>configure>install components. Then in the wine tab click Windows reboot.

While in the config area, under the display tab I have everything set to default, except the memory size which I have set appropriately for my Graphics card. FYI - I run the same nvidia proprietary driver that Ansuz4221 uses, and we both have different setting on the Display tab . :)

On the Neverwinter login/patch screen, under the options tab, make sure the Patch on demand is not selected. This solved a crash for me awhile back.

Do you start the game through Arc everytime, or do you have a Neverwinter Icon made?
    Also, is the game actually crashing and returning you to your desktop or is it hanging at the Neverwinter load screen "forever"?

I don't know if the open driver could be the problem or not. You could try the driver, and if it doesn't fix it you can switch back to the old. Switching back can be a pain though....

When all else fails, we can debug the thing and you can post the results here. It will be easier to do if you have the Neverwinter start icon made.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Before giving up hope, did you manually install these DLL's when you installed Neverwinter via Playonlinux?

Microsoft corefonts
    d3dx9
    tahoma

If not, you can do so after the fact via Playonlinux>arc or Neverwinter>configure>install components. Then in the wine tab click Windows reboot.

While in the config area, under the display tab I have everything set to default, except the memory size which I have set appropriately for my Graphics card. FYI - I run the same nvidia proprietary driver that Ansuz4221 uses, and we both have different setting on the Display tab . :)

On the Neverwinter login/patch screen, under the options tab, make sure the Patch on demand is not selected. This solved a crash for me awhile back.

Do you start the game through Arc everytime, or do you have a Neverwinter Icon made?
    Also, is the game actually crashing and returning you to your desktop or is it hanging at the Neverwinter load screen "forever"?

I don't know if the open driver could be the problem or not. You could try the driver, and if it doesn't fix it you can switch back to the old. Switching back can be a pain though....

When all else fails, we can debug the thing and you can post the results here. It will be easier to do if you have the Neverwinter start icon made.

I have installed those dll's manually and tried both with NW shortcut and though Arc.
    It's not hanging it just returnes to desktop when the loading is finished.
    I also tried wine reboot, and all the things I can think of....
    Still no luck :/
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Okay. This will be a short one. Did you create a 32bit or 64 bit virtual drive when installing the program. I've read that it needs to be a 32 bit virtual drive to work. I run 64 bit linux but I always create a 32 bit virtual drive. I believe a short cut to tell is to open POL, click configure, and next to the arc/neverwinter button there will be a grey box with either 32 or 64 in it. If is says 32 then go ahead and debug the program and post it here.

From the playonlinux screen, click neverwinter once, then click debug. A log screen will appear. Log in and run the launcher until it crashes. Paste the info from the log here and we will see what we can gleen from it.

FYI - it could potentially be a boat load of info.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Okay. This will be a short one. Did you create a 32bit or 64 bit virtual drive when installing the program. I've read that it needs to be a 32 bit virtual drive to work. I run 64 bit linux but I always create a 32 bit virtual drive. I believe a short cut to tell is to open POL, click configure, and next to the arc/neverwinter button there will be a grey box with either 32 or 64 in it. If is says 32 then go ahead and debug the program and post it here.

From the playonlinux screen, click neverwinter once, then click debug. A log screen will appear. Log in and run the launcher until it crashes. Paste the info from the log here and we will see what we can gleen from it.

FYI - it could potentially be a boat load of info.

I'm using the 32 bit version. I can't paste the text here, it's to big.
    Here's the link to it, so u can take a look :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1d90yrer7psex5o/playonlinux.log?dl=0
  • Options
    lordrelentlesslordrelentless Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 33
    edited November 2014
    Bear in mind that Wine on Linux can only address so much memory and information at any given time, as it is essentially a virtual windows environment. Try updating Wine, change the Wind drive space to x64 andsee if that helps. If it doesn't you may have to create a real windows environment overlayed in Linux to get it to run.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Okay. the major problem I see in that debug text is as follows:

LLVM ERROR: ran out of registers during register allocation

This seems to be a major problem, not just for neverwinter but for other games as well and it looks like it may be related to your amd GPU. I haven't been able to find anything specific, but I have come across hints that switching to a proprietary driver could fix it (which was your hunch anyways). I also read that updating to LLVM 3.5 could fix the problem. You could search the ubuntu repo for LLVM and see whats available.

This is the closest I can come to a thread with suggestions for this error:

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=5041479

Its not for neverwinter, but it may work. I would ignore the mention of the Kernel, but see if you can search the repository for updated versions of the other items on the list.

If updating/installing those packages don't work, then I would try the proprietary driver for The GPU.

Looking at your debug info, I am pretty confident that the Error I noted above is what is causing the crash. Google "LLVM ERROR: ran out of registers during register allocation" and see what you can find.

Stay strong, the rabbit hole may be deep.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Okay. the major problem I see in that debug text is as follows:

LLVM ERROR: ran out of registers during register allocation

This seems to be a major problem, not just for neverwinter but for other games as well and it looks like it may be related to your amd GPU. I haven't been able to find anything specific, but I have come across hints that switching to a proprietary driver could fix it (which was your hunch anyways). I also read that updating to LLVM 3.5 could fix the problem. You could search the ubuntu repo for LLVM and see whats available.

This is the closest I can come to a thread with suggestions for this error:

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=5041479

Its not for neverwinter, but it may work. I would ignore the mention of the Kernel, but see if you can search the repository for updated versions of the other items on the list.

If updating/installing those packages don't work, then I would try the proprietary driver for The GPU.

Looking at your debug info, I am pretty confident that the Error I noted above is what is causing the crash. Google "LLVM ERROR: ran out of registers during register allocation" and see what you can find.

Stay strong, the rabbit hole may be deep.

Updated LLVM, didn't help.

Found some info here: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=73320 but I don't know what to do with it :/
    I see there is a fix, but I don't know how to apply it.
    I'm still a newb-kind-of level linux user :)

See: Comment 30; Comment 36.
    See also: https://www.libreoffice.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=75276#c47
    See also: https://www.libreoffice.org/bugzilla/attachment.cgi?id=106527 (This suposed to be a patch to resolve the problem with the various games having LLVM error)
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Ok, so I tried to run the game with the AMD proprietary driver, and it runs.
    But the performance is beyound awful.
    It doesn't work good even on the lowest settings.

Then I tested other games too. Through wine, and they all run, but pretty bad.
    And I tested the driver with the Dota 2, which is linux native, and it runs worse then before with open driver.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Updated LLVM, didn't help.
    See: Comment 30; Comment 36.
    See also: https://www.libreoffice.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=75276#c47
    See also: https://www.libreoffice.org/bugzilla/attachment.cgi?id=106527 (This suposed to be a patch to resolve the problem with the various games having LLVM error)

Well thats daunting. I'm guessing that you would have to apply that patch to the kernel, and then recompile the Kernel, which I don't know how to do. I've never had to apply a patch to a Kernel before, and I have used nothing but linux for the past 5 years. Usually, tracking down a fix is much much much much much (etc) simplier than this. Lets shy away from the patch for now and focus on the Kernel. I believe that ubuntu 14.04 is running the 3.14 Kernel. You can check this by running following command from a terminal:

uname -r

From what I have been reading, kernel 3.16 fixes AMD/radeon gpu/apu performance issues. You could update your system to 3.16. I would revert back to the open source GPU driver before doing so. And then potentially (if needed) reinstalling the proprietary driver afterwards. I read that the proprietary driver needs to be reinstalled after the upgrade anyways..

http://sourcedigit.com/11934-install-upgrade-linux-kernel-3-16-ubuntu-14-04-ubuntu-12-04/

or,

http://linuxg.net/how-to-install-kernel-3-16-on-ubuntu-14-04-and-derivative-systems/

Now just so you know, I have never updated my Kernel outside of the standard sytem updates. It appears that you could revert back to the old kernel by booting into the grub menu (hold shift while booting up) and then selecting the old Kernel. Then running the commands at the bottom of those links above.

For me, updating the Kernel is more in my comfort zone then figuring out how to patch the Kernel, and that is IF that patch is meant for the kernel. I don't really know. :confused:

Do a little seraching on it and see if you think its worth a shot. 3.16 is a stable kernel, and it appears the next ubuntu 14.10 will be based on it.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Well thats daunting. I'm guessing that you would have to apply that patch to the kernel, and then recompile the Kernel, which I don't know how to do. I've never had to apply a patch to a Kernel before, and I have used nothing but linux for the past 5 years. Usually, tracking down a fix is much much much much much (etc) simplier than this. Lets shy away from the patch for now and focus on the Kernel. I believe that ubuntu 14.04 is running the 3.14 Kernel. You can check this by running following command from a terminal:

uname -r

From what I have been reading, kernel 3.16 fixes AMD/radeon gpu/apu performance issues. You could update your system to 3.16. I would revert back to the open source GPU driver before doing so. And then potentially (if needed) reinstalling the proprietary driver afterwards. I read that the proprietary driver needs to be reinstalled after the upgrade anyways..

http://sourcedigit.com/11934-install-upgrade-linux-kernel-3-16-ubuntu-14-04-ubuntu-12-04/

or,

http://linuxg.net/how-to-install-kernel-3-16-on-ubuntu-14-04-and-derivative-systems/

Now just so you know, I have never updated my Kernel outside of the standard sytem updates. It appears that you could revert back to the old kernel by booting into the grub menu (hold shift while booting up) and then selecting the old Kernel. Then running the commands at the bottom of those links above.

For me, updating the Kernel is more in my comfort zone then figuring out how to patch the Kernel, and that is IF that patch is meant for the kernel. I don't really know. :confused:

Do a little seraching on it and see if you think its worth a shot. 3.16 is a stable kernel, and it appears the next ubuntu 14.10 will be based on it.

Ok, just checked my kernel, it's not even 3.14 it's 3.13.0. :o
    I will try to update it, then I'll post the result :)
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Updated the kernel to 3.16, installed the proprietary driver, and the performance is still awful, no improvements :/
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Ok so, I came here to update the info:

Tested all kinds of stuff and it's seems that the main problem is the driver.
    With the open driver the game won't start, and with the AMD driver it runs, but the performance is awful.
    AMD driver has a lot worse performace with the linux games, and system interface also, so I won't use it at all.

The only thing left is to figure out how to make the open driver to run Wine games normally.

So anyone with any idea or a suggeston is welcome to join the crussade :)
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Brutal. Just brutal. Did you try it with the open driver after updating the Kernel? I guess it is now time to check out that patch....

I'll see what I can track down.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Brutal. Just brutal. Did you try it with the open driver after updating the Kernel? I guess it is now time to check out that patch....

I'll see what I can track down.

I tried everything, and I do mean everything :)
    In the end I reverted back to old kernel, cause 3.16 was giving Radeonfb 00... Invalid ROM contents error on boot.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Well, I've got nothing. The last thread I can find is here:

https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?forum=1;app_id=7714;mhl=169223;msg=168968#msg169223

You may find something uselful there, and get it to work for you. Otherwise.....

Best I can say at this point is to head over to playonlinux.com and post something for those folks over there. They may have some insight since they deal with games all the time. They are codeweavers there as well. I, HOwever, am all out of ideas.

Sorry Boss. :o
  • Options
    dark666wulfdark666wulf Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Hi,
    since the launch of the winterland the game keeps crashing very random for me sometimes wile loading or just between 0 and 20 minutes, tested in gentoo with 32 and 64 bit wine and sabayon, opensuse with 32 bit :-( all with nvida gpu.

Oh and an old one, the german umlaute ö and ü do not work in chat, they just clear the text box.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    I haven't experienced this glitch on my end. I have an Nvidia GPU as well (proprietary driver), 32 bit wine.
  • Options
    bjjfighter75bjjfighter75 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Hello, I recently got into NWO and was planning to play with a friend. I was able to run the game fine, but my friend has a Mac and is unable to find up to date instructions on how to play NWO through Wine. From earlier posts in this thread, it seemed like the issue was a recent update to the game which caused compatibility errors with Wine. Does anyone know if this issue is resolved? If so, does anyone have any links for up to date instructions to run NWO on Wine on a Mac OS?
    (It's rather difficult trying to help my friend resolve their issues since I'm very unfamiliar with a Mac OS and have little knowledge of the specific issues they're facing.)