test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Announcing the Dragonborn Race

Comments

• refracted0dawnrefracted0dawn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 894 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Despite my earlier posts about lack of value, I have been wavering recently about whether to get this and almost decided that I would buy it on sale after all.

Apart from the race itself, the Artifact redeemable by all characters is nice.

The free 30 Slot Bag would be the clincher if it were BoP to Character and Redeemable by ALL characters.

But then my two main characters went to Icewind Dale and I realised that the class-specific artifact from Vault of the Nine are unlocked for ALL characters on my account. So ALL of my characters will have a choice of free artifacts for nothing, without even doing the quest.

The only problem with the IWD artifacts is that they cannot be used to refine other artifacts, but that is not really a problem as it would be very difficult to refine that many artifacts in any case.

So I am back to my original "No Value For Money, No Deal" position.

If all characters got the Bag, THAT would still make it worth while to me.
  • yeahnubbyyeahnubby Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Despite my earlier posts about lack of value, I have been wavering recently about whether to get this and almost decided that I would buy it on sale after all.

Apart from the race itself, the Artifact redeemable by all characters is nice.

The free 30 Slot Bag would be the clincher if it were BoP to Character and Redeemable by ALL characters.

But then my two main characters went to Icewind Dale and I realised that the class-specific artifact from Vault of the Nine are unlocked for ALL characters on my account. So ALL of my characters will have a choice of free artifacts for nothing, without even doing the quest.

The only problem with the IWD artifacts is that they cannot be used to refine other artifacts, but that is not really a problem as it would be very difficult to refine that many artifacts in any case.

So I am back to my original "No Value For Money, No Deal" position.

If all characters got the Bag, THAT would still make it worth while to me.
    I'm pretty much in the same situation. While I certainly still feel that the pack is lacking value because it has enchantments instead of a mount or companion, I'm considering whether a free rank 60 artifact with great stats for all characters makes up for that. I already have 2 account-wide epic mounts unlocked, and 5+ epic companions on my 2 main characters, so the artifact is actually much more valuable to me.

Also, the Dragonborn race looks great in my opinion, especially the female.

I've pretty much been waiting for another pack that I could splash some € on to support the game, so I just might end up buying the pack despite my earlier reaction to it being way overpriced. I'll have to think about it the next couple of days for sure
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited August 2014

yeahnubby wrote: »
    I'm pretty much in the same situation.

NO SNARK FROM ME. What you two (and I'm sure others) have been percolating on is something I recognized very early (yes, I percolated, too - I just made my own decision in a couple days).

Here's something of note: The 30-Slot Bag is available to ALL CHARACTERS ON ACCOUNT (each can only claim one). I've suspected this from the beginning because the bag that comes to Hero and Guardian packs work the same way (but those are 12 slot bags) - basically: BoP - but account-wide for all characters. "Can be claimed once per character" - same description as those bags: self explanatory - all characters on account (but only once per character). And yes, I do have both Founder Packs so I know for a fact that bag is claimable by every character.

I never wanted to mention my suspicion that this is the case because I wasn't THAT sure - but feel vindicated in my own mind now. And leo note thee RING is also available to all characters on account and works like the Mulhorand weapons: scales with level. My only sad-panda is that the Bahamut Regalia appears to be a once-only thing. :(

(Link again for anyone who wants to revisit the page):
    http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/game-pack/detail/495-dragonborn-legend-pack

Oh and that Artifact? Holy-shmoly the Legendary version of that is an absofekkinglutely must-have. I finally have a reason to buy Astral Diamonds again.
  • yeahnubbyyeahnubby Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    NO SNARK FROM ME. What you two (and I'm sure others) have been percolating on is something I recognized very early (yes, I percolated, too - I just made my own decision in a couple days).

Here's something of note: The 30-Slot Bag is available to ALL CHARACTERS ON ACCOUNT (each can only claim one). I've suspected this from the beginning because the bag that comes to Hero and Guardian packs work the same way (but those are 12 slot bags) - basically: BoP - but account-wide for all characters. "Can be claimed once per character" - same description as those bags: self explanatory - all characters on account (but only once per character). And yes, I do have both Founder Packs so I know for a fact that bag is claimable by every character.

I never wanted to mention my suspicion that this is the case because I wasn't THAT sure - but feel vindicated in my own mind now. And leo note thee RING is also available to all characters on account and works like the Mulhorand weapons: scales with level. My only sad-panda is that the Bahamut Regalia appears to be a once-only thing. :(

(Link again for anyone who wants to revisit the page):
    http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/game-pack/detail/495-dragonborn-legend-pack

Oh and that Artifact? Holy-shmoly the Legendary version of that is an absofekkinglutely must-have. I finally have a reason to buy Astral Diamonds again.
    Dang you for convincing a whale with more money than sense to waste money on pixelated candy!
    edited August 2014
    yeahnubby wrote: »
    Dang you for convincing a whale with more money than sense to waste money on pixelated candy!

LOL! Hey, I understand many of the "no value" comments and such are probably more knee-jerk than percolated-logic and that's okay. I say "no shame in changing one's mind" at all.

I will add this though: The Bahamut Regalia items are a question; in all the other packs items of this type are one per character, but every character on account, so I'm not really sure about this case. I am a pessimist at heart so I'll presume this set is a once-off (one only) - but it will be a very pleasant surprise if it turns out they also are one per character, but every character on account.
  • voltomeyvoltomey Member Posts: 1,052 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    i got the pack just for the scale faced race artifact and bag and i kinda like the outfits
    Gang Busters PvP Guild Recruiting When Mod 6 goes live Pm Me for more Info If you have any Paladin question Message Me and i will get back to you ASAP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • dheffernandheffernan Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 216 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Here's something of note: The 30-Slot Bag is available to ALL CHARACTERS ON ACCOUNT (each can only claim one).

If true it's been changed. It definitely said one per account before.

Edit: They also changed the artifact. Now it starts at level 60. They blinked.
    @Venture-1 @Venture from City of Heroes if you remember that far back. Yes, *that* Venture. Yes, I probably trashed your MA arc. For me it was Tuesday.
    edited August 2014
    dheffernan wrote: »
    If true it's been changed. It definitely said one per account before.

Edit: They also changed the artifact. Now it starts at level 60. They blinked.

You may be misremembering; re the bag: They said "can only be claimed once" - they did not say 'per account' and they (originally) did not say "per character". Are you thinking about HR Booster? I've always suspected it was "per character" because the hero of the North and Guardian packs are this way. However, the HR Booster was a once-off (IIRC) - but that was made clear in promo information.

As for the artifact - they may or may not have "changed it" as much as they have changed the information about it. Who knows? However, I don't think they "blinked". They rarely do that and when they do - it takes a really long time to blink (hence: Companion pricing since closed beta: 6 months to lower pricing, 6 more months to bring them to where they are now).

However, if you want to presume that they "blinked" then so be it. Certainly it is possible. However, whether they 'blinked' or were just still finalizing details as an ongoing concern is a moot point for debate because it is now what it is now.
    edited August 2014
    You may be misremembering; re the bag: They said "can only be claimed once" - they did not say 'per account' and they (originally) did not say "per character".

I'm not mistaken; it said "claimed once". That means "once". Just discussed it with folks in-game.
    As for the artifact - they may or may not have "changed it" as much as they have changed the information about it. Who knows? However, I don't think they "blinked".

Right, and the check is in the mail, and they didn't inhale and it was owned by a little old lady in Pasadena who only drove it to church on Sundays. I wasn't around for it but didn't something like this happen with the Founders' pack too?
    @Venture-1 @Venture from City of Heroes if you remember that far back. Yes, *that* Venture. Yes, I probably trashed your MA arc. For me it was Tuesday.
    edited August 2014
    Here's something of note: The 30-Slot Bag is available to ALL CHARACTERS ON ACCOUNT (each can only claim one).

No way!

Surely not? That makes it worth 14,000 Zen for me already. Just for the bag! And 6 more slots than a Greater Bag of Holding! Of which I have 12 (which I got from the AH for 240k to 320k AD each).

I can't even work out how many Shared Bank Account Slots would give me that much storage space! No wonder they did not include 1.5 million free AD as well!

Are you absolutely CERTAIN about this? I checked very carefully, as I did before I bought Knights of the Feywild, and I did a mini-review for my Guild about the value of that pack at £30.00 from Steam (now £45.00).

I used the same thought process for the Dragonborn as well, and it fell very short of VFM, as it said that the bag was redeemable once per account. Just as the Embroidered bag was.

I'll have to check this out.

If this is true, PE is going to be crawling with nothing but Dragonborn on August 14th.

But then, there was that recent thing where they showed Epic companions and when you bought the required things on the Zen market, you got a Green Companion.

~
    edited August 2014
    I had a look and that page is now very different.

The Artefact is Rank 60 instead of Rank 1 and t says that the Bag is claimable once per character. It never said that before.

As long as it is not claimable once per Dragonborn character, and Halflings, Dwarves, Tieflings etc can get it as well...
    edited August 2014
    I'll be happy to confirm the bag (and ring) are claimable on every character on account for any fence-sitters. Of course by then it will cost you full price (an additional $25). Personally I have zero doubts about it (I've purchased enough of these kind of things from Cryptic over the last few years that I'm pretty comfortable with how they tend to phrase things).

~snicker~
    edited August 2014
    Personally I have zero doubts about it (I've purchased enough of these kind of things from Cryptic over the last few years that I'm pretty comfortable with how they tend to phrase things).

Well, they did not phrase the rank of the companion very well for the last Zen Market special, showing a Purple when it was actually a Green.

But I am convinced. They have definitely blinked as they have changed the information. And if the bag was always one per character, it would have been pointed out long before this as it has been mentioned multiple times in this thread.

I suspect the pre-sales figures were very low and, due to the number of whales with more sense than money who have posted here, they had a re-think.

Here is the mini-review of KotF:
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?714881-Announcing-the-Dragonborn-Race&p=8500541&viewfull=1#post8500541

And here is my identical-style analysis of the Dragonborn pack. The bag was not once per character and the artefact was Rank 1:
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?714881-Announcing-the-Dragonborn-Race&p=8554221&viewfull=1#post8554221

I am going to order it now!

But if it turns out to be a scam, I will want my money back.

Cheers!
  • rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    When the page initially went up the bag did not specify one way or the other like some of the other items did and I actually made a post about that. It was just left to you imagination if it was claimable only once per account or claimable once per character. So it's nice they actually added some clarification. Since bag space isn't really an issue for me it's probably not quite enough to convince me. They really should have at least thrown in a companion even if it was just a reskin of an existing one.
    edited August 2014
    But if it turns out to be a scam, I will want my money back.

Likewise, I've put in my order, but if this is some kind of bait-and-switch I'll take appropriate steps.
  • ixalmarisixalmaris Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I suspect the pre-sales figures were very low and, due to the number of whales with more sense than money who have posted here, they had a re-think.

And I just lost some more faith in humanity because so many whales fall for this cheap marketing trick and spend silly amounts of money for this pack in complete disregard of what that kind of money can buy (like whole games).
    edited August 2014
    ixalmaris wrote: »
    And I just lost some more faith in humanity because so many whales fall for this cheap marketing trick and spend silly amounts of money for this pack in complete disregard of what that kind of money can buy (like whole games).

MMOs can't be compared to stand-alone games when it comes to price. MMOs incur ongoing costs that warrant ongoing payment.

When Warlords of Draenor drops WoW fans will be tapped for (at a guess) another $50-60, more for the "collector's edition". For content upgrades with new classes and races that's where we'd be under a traditional subscription-based model.
  • ixalmarisixalmaris Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    dheffernan wrote: »
    MMOs can't be compared to stand-alone games when it comes to price. MMOs incur ongoing costs that warrant ongoing payment.

When Warlords of Draenor drops WoW fans will be tapped for (at a guess) another $50-60, more for the "collector's edition". For content upgrades with new classes and races that's where we'd be under a traditional subscription-based model.

Even among MMOs the prices Cryptic uses are outrageous as is their tactic of bundling them up with items which do not cost them anything to hide the cost of what they want to sell you.
    There are many MMO games out there with much more fair policy.
    Also, while Cryptic always wants us to believe that Neverwinter is just barely breaking even and that the game has to close if they lose just a little bit of money, the truth is that F2P games rake in cash like there is no tomorrow and Cryptic is just gouging the people with more money than sense.
    edited August 2014
    Even among MMOs the prices Cryptic uses are outrageous

If you apply that argument across the entire range of F2P MMOs I think you will lose badly. There are a lot of those out there and some of their pricing structures approach the level of war crimes. If you open the doors to F2P mobile games it gets even worse:

http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-iphone-games-that-clearly-hate-player-tested/

Now, there are games with more fair business models. Cryptic even runs two of them. Personally I'd rather NW was run like CO and STO. But as long as you exercise a modicum of sense and self-restraint NW isn't objectionable.
    as is their tactic of bundling them up with items which do not cost them anything to hide the cost of what they want to sell you.

I will agree that the Dragonborn pack does contain a lot of filler. The parts of the pack that have defensible value are the Dragonborn unlock, the race change token, the character slot, the bag and (now) the artifact. I exclude the fashion sets because I expect the vast majority of purchasers would not buy them if they were not included but sold separately. I had earlier estimated the value of the bag at $15, given existing bag prices. At that price as an account-wide item the pack is paid for right there for me, as most of my characters have only the in-game bags. My argument throughout has been that the value of the pack can be established by comparison to existing NW store prices and with these changes I'd say the price is reasonable. Players who already have many bags may feel otherwise. Likewise a purple artifact for every character saves a lot of time and effort in refining, but if you've already got high-level artifacts on your characters and don't plan to make many more that may not matter to you. Again, my point has been that the subjective worth of the pack is completely different from the objective value and that only the latter could be debated. Had they added and account-wide mount and/or companion that would not have made the pack worth much more to me because I already have those things, but I would have dropped my objections to the pack's value nevertheless.
    There are many MMO games out there with much more fair policy.

So play them instead.
    Also, while Cryptic always wants us to believe that Neverwinter is just barely breaking even and that the game has to close if they lose just a little bit of money

I don't believe anyone at Cryptic has made this argument, though the reddit posts came close.
  • dnaiel8838dnaiel8838 Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I don't know about you guys but I'm happy that I bought this pack. I saw the update of the pack.

First the artifact, instead of from uncommon now it is already a level 60 artifact that can be claimed by all character.

10570372_10152261727168663_4095094502635632008_n.jpg?oh=03374fd15942bda41015a78a5cee053e&oe=545D3E88&__gda__=1416356599_403e47a0b5fc78c33b8ec278daffc61d

Second, the bag can be claimed by all character.

10176001_10152261734018663_6068054326042607131_n.jpg?oh=f6aac9b03b642c26f4c8021a1ddae9cb&oe=546FB61C&__gda__=1417406218_31a545b3e0a98f00ad3e76c002058225

Third, ring can be claimed by all character in your account.

10351904_10152261738328663_8475812817006289763_n.jpg?oh=c4048ab17d6227b896377144c1db769c&oe=54780EBB

IMO from this 3 equipment alone I guess the $75 was already compensated and I'm very happy with it because it comes with other goodies especially the Change Race Token which I think will be expensive if purchased in Zen Market.
  • candinho2candinho2 Member Posts: 550 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Dear Perfectworld, is there a chance to you update your billing website for Brazilians? I cannot buy anything from there except zen and hero of the north pack, i want dragonborn back.
  • hmdq#4491 hmdq Member Posts: 508 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Link is broken??? I just can not access or this anyway: "page not found"???
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    hquadros wrote: »
    Link is broken??? I just can not access or this anyway: "page not found"???

Try clearing your cache maybe. Just visited the link with no problems.
  • hmdq#4491 hmdq Member Posts: 508 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    charononus wrote: »
    Try clearing your cache maybe. Just visited the link with no problems.

Not working :/
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    hquadros wrote: »
    Not working :/

Ok some question then:
    Can you visit arcgames.com at all?
    What is your browser and is it updated to the latest version?
    What is your OS?
    What country are you in? Does that country have any restrictions on the internet?
    Are you running any kind of net nanny program?

Best I can think of to help you, maybe one of the answers there will be the culprit.
    edited August 2014

Not sure what you mean there, but the revised information linked by angrysprite makes the Dragonborn pack worth €71 or so.

What can you buy in Neverwinter for about €71? That's about £56 Sterling.

€44.99 = 5300 Zen
    €27.99 = 3300 Zen

€72.98 = 8600 Zen

And what can you buy for 8600 Zen?

4.3 Million AD from F2P exploiters of previous glitches?

OR 8 Greater Bags of Holding (24-slots) and one set of Personal Bank Slots (16 slots)?

OR 8 Coalescent Wards and 60 Preservation Wards?

OR 68 Enchanted Keys?

Or 12 sets of Shared Bank slots (12x8 slots)?

And what do you get in this pack for the same amount?

Fifteen 30-Slot bags, as I have 12 characters, 2 free slots and a free slot with the Pack
    Fifteen Rank 60 Artifacts, for the same reason
    Fifteen Rings similar to Mulhorand items (OK, no use on my level 60s, but good for new characters)
    A Race Change Token, so I can change one of my less used level 60s to a Dragonborn
    A free Character slot, so I can make a Draconian Warlock
    All the other free fluff

Oh, yes. And I can make a Dragonborn character any time I like.

Anyone who is a totally F2P player with only one account and two free characters, or even multiple accounts with two free characters each, stop crying and whinging and enjoy the game that is completely free to play except for On-Line internet costs.

Or get your wallet out and support the devs and buy some Character Slot tokens. That is what I did, and this pack is suddenly Value For Money as I am getting enough Account-Wide stuff to make it Value For Money.

I bought quite a few Bank slots and even more Shared Bank Slots, filled my e-mails and spent 750k AD on our 4th Guild Bank Vault and got 12 GBoH and I still need more space. More characters means more AD income from Professions as well, and more characters to run low level Skirmish Events for AD, as well as doing Dailies.

But if they switch the bait in any way, I will want my money back.

~
  • pecosjezpecosjez Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Nice changes to the package. Thanks to all who voiced their concerns.

Its now attractive enough that I bought two of them. One for me and the other for a family member.
  • shasarazadshasarazad Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Not sure what you mean there, but the revised information linked by angrysprite makes the Dragonborn pack worth €71 or so.

.....snip.....

Anyone who is a totally F2P player with only one account and two free characters, or even multiple accounts with two free characters each, stop crying and whinging and enjoy the game that is completely free to play except for On-Line internet costs.

Or get your wallet out and support the devs and buy some Character Slot tokens. That is what I did, and this pack is suddenly Value For Money as I am getting enough Account-Wide stuff to make it Value For Money.

~

Well, from what I have seen in this thread, most people complaining about the value did so before they updated the pack. (I guess some could have missed the update and/or haven't got as many alts as you, good to have your list of values though.) Most others who keep this thread alive are those of us who keep asking (begging) for the race to be sold on it's own. So, most of us are not asking it to be free, we are asking for a choice to not have to buy the big pack with all the (for me) useless extra items. I just want the race..
    edited August 2014
    shasarazad wrote: »
    most of us are not asking it to be free, we are asking for a choice to not have to buy the big pack with all the (for me) useless extra items. I just want the race.

I appreciate that, but I think they said that all classes will be available for everyone but new races will not be. Like the Moon Elf (which is basically a Sun Elf) and the alternative Drow. But I think that this one ought to become available later on at some point. It would certainly sell well.

But what sold me on it were the Bags even more than the artifacts. I have at least one character of each class and several races. But it does take such a long time to fully test out different races and classes, so they end up being Leadership mules for quite some time. But you really need them to be able to equip your main character.

Imagine getting three artifacts to Rank 100, five companions to Epic level and Rank 10 Enchants in every slot, even for one character! Gone are the days when the early starters could use exploits for free AD with cheap prices on the AH. That was all over just before I started. You used to be able to get 99 Rank 5 Radiants for 50 to 100k AD. Last night, the cheapest stack was 444k. So I bought 99 Rank 4 for 69k and made a Rank 8 with them.

But I played all my characters to level 25 or so and still play with them from time to time. I took my Halfling GWF out earlier to do Neverwinter Graveyard to get the second satchel or knapsack from that quest, as her inventory is too full with all the blue and epic gear she is holding for when she is level 60.

And now I'll have to start a Dragonborn Warlock!

Dang, life is tough...

-

PS. If I spent €180 on 21,600 Zen, I could trade it for 10.8 Million AD. But what would that get me? The ability to pay 600k AD for a Coalescent Ward I could get for 500k's worth of Zen on the Zen Market?

Or 375k AD in a Ward sale?

_
  • psychicslugpsychicslug Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I think the race change token could be the answer to the race issue by letting you change to any race(dragon born, moon elf, drow renegade) or have two versions one more expensive to do this and a lesser one that does not.
This discussion has been closed.