Install Arc
Options

The "New Race(s)" Feedback Thread!

Comments

• Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    reiwulf wrote: »
    I don't see why people want gnomes, I think the new halflings look very much like gnomes anyway... but to each their own.

Oh no, new Gnomes are MUCH worse.

gnome_by_conceptopolis-d5rsjk7.jpg
  • Options
    reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    That looks like something you could achieve with sliders on a dwarf :)
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited July 2014
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    Oh no, new Gnomes are MUCH worse.
    . . . Call me crazy, but I really like WotC's new concept art for gnomes. I always disliked how gnomes in D&D were portrayed as your typical garden gnome ornament. This feels more realistic and unique to the D&D universe.
  • Options
    mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 693 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Genasi for me.

Let the players choose their type and from that it changes their racial abilities and/or attribute bonuses. Nothing that changes appearance, just something that changes abilities.

I don't want them to just make a single type of genasi, though. Make an all-in-one or make them all, or don't bother. It can't be that difficult or time-consuming to do.

My vote for genasi isn't for water or air or fire. It's really for earth. But for someone else it may be a different sort. If they decided to make genasi and gave us an air genasi, then the people that wanted an air genasi are okay, but the rest of the folks that wanted earth, fire, or water are still waiting.

It's like people that wanted a battle cleric. The devoted cleric just isn't the same.
  • Options
    psychicslugpsychicslug Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Seeing as I played D&D for 09% of my life from 1st to now 5th edition I know were most all the races came from dragon born started in Council of Wyrms setting "go look that one up " thats were the idea started sort of and just went on from there. But I think dragon lance has the most influence on the race its self due to that settings creature race Draconians.

Assiamar and Tieflings, we demons called cambion started that an planescape expanded this insanely so, there were differant abilities for what demon or other planer race you were part of. Was a lot more options back then and was fun to try each one. now we have deva's who are ok, and tieflings who are there own race now as well. The look also has been set as for back then they could look wildly different as no two tiefling and Assiamar looked exactly the same. but guess its easy to limit the things as to market a cetrain look or feel and in a computer game even more so too many options and some don't know what to do or get confused, but such are the simple minded and those without imagination which is what seems to rule the world for far "me farm for gold me sale gold to farm gold " or what ever the farmers do. Don't get me wrong love the game its fun and all it just that it could be better with some variety. Race options and classes will help but cosmetic looks will too here's to hoping that they keep going with this.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    reiwulf wrote: »
    That looks like something you could achieve with sliders on a dwarf :)

from what your saying short humans could be dwarfs ans slim humans elves, you must not be much of a D&D player to make a comment like that sir. As a race gnomes have a rich history as much as dwarves and elves its just has never really been expanded upon too much, the new look is fine as it befits them some what. They also have a wide variety of sub races just like elves and dwarves, maybe you should check up and read some before you say such things. But most kids now days seem to have add so it might not be in your wheel house to do such. No hard feelings as with most games people always make mistakes hope you check out the gnome history and D&D they are a very odd quarky race, have a nice day :)
  • Options
    zshikarazshikara Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    My number one vote would be for gnoll, were-rats, or some other more feral but still intelligent beast race. Something less human or elf. Dragonborn works too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tired of running dungeons with exploiters and cheaters? Join the legit channel by visiting http://goo.gl/1zfnTS to apply!
    Performing ritual pony sacrifices to Tiamat to earn favor with the RNG Gods since 2014.
  • Options
    reilz1981reilz1981 Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    if we got a shifter i would so reroll atleast one of my characters lol
    Actual Join date: Dec 2007
  • Options
    mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 693 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    As a race gnomes have a rich history as much as dwarves and elves its just has never really been expanded upon too much...

Which means that they don't have as rich a history in the game. Gnolls have been around forever, too, but they aren't on the same plane as orcs, goblins, or even kobolds.

Gnomes have always been the odd race out.

This isn't to say that the other poster was on target with his "skinny dwarf" remark, but don't oversell it, either.

I would have been fine with them dropping halflings and reworking gnomes, and making sure that dwarves didn't step on their toes, but they didn't.

So it remains. Of all of the classic player races, gnome is the least.
    Some cross between elves, dwarves, and halflings that is a prisoner of the garden gnome image.

=============

As an aside, and just in case someone is reading this, the new character creator is horrible.
    I tried to recreate a look that I have on a human character and I couldn't come close. I am not sure that I can make any face that I like.

Why get rid of the options that you already put in the work to have in the game?
  • Options
    reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    from what your saying short humans could be dwarfs ans slim humans elves, you must not be much of a D&D player to make a comment like that sir. As a race gnomes have a rich history as much as dwarves and elves its just has never really been expanded upon too much, the new look is fine as it befits them some what. They also have a wide variety of sub races just like elves and dwarves, maybe you should check up and read some before you say such things. But most kids now days seem to have add so it might not be in your wheel house to do such. No hard feelings as with most games people always make mistakes hope you check out the gnome history and D&D they are a very odd quarky race, have a nice day :)

What are you talking about? I'm talking exclusively about the picture posted, not about DnD gnomes in general. I just said that the picture looks like something you could achieve with the character creator sliders using a dwarf base, that's all. What's all this mumbo jumbo about DnD lore? Don't jump to conclusions, man.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited July 2014
    . . . The history of gnomes in the realms is not like other Campaigns, where they generally are quite abundant in population as free thinking communities. Nay, sadly the gnomes in the Realms have a long history of misery and despair, for you see they are fey and the perfect prey for those seeking to control fey creatures for a myriad of intents.

. . . They first came out of the Feywilds and into the Realms over twenty millenia ago up in what was Netheril and later the Anauroch, and once again Netheril. They were enslaved by the Kobolds there, but Garl Glittergold took pity and set them free. Their race was then later enslaved by Netheril and they didn't gain their freedom until after Netheril fell during the first Sundering. Now with Netheril back, and the Fomorians enslaving them still, as well as their enslaved history with Calimshan, the world is a precarious place for gnomes once again - a race with few enemies and even fewer allies.

. . . Very small groups of gnomes can sometimes be found in the wilds of central Faerun, from the Sword Coast to Rashemen, and as far south as the Halruaan Mountain range -- but they are rarely found in large numbers as free-people and not twisted red-caps, quicklings, or as a Calimshan or Netherilian slave. For a time, they not only thrived in but filled every nook of Lantan. Unfortunately, it was ravaged by the Spellplage and their numbers were decimated there.

. . . Now, what gnomes dare to be out in public, tend to make their homes in the free-city states where they are likely able to stay out of the attention of those who do want to enslave them. However, they are on a rising climb in population according to source material, as more and more gnomes are coming out of recluse and into the bustling free-cities of the Realms, laying trust in kind humans and elves to offer them security, friendship and learning.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    zebular well said sir, and not sure to take that as a nod to possible new race coming soon or not but does make one think. Seeing as the next event has to do with gond would be nice.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    zebular well said sir, and not sure to take that as a nod to possible new race coming soon or not but does make one think. Seeing as the next event has to do with gond would be nice.
    Most welcome! I just got done editing it for clarity and grammar, as well as some typos too. I do love Realms' lore... indeed.
  • Options
    thrymskvidathrymskvida Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    *Know* that it is my will to play as one of those who spurn Gith.

Dak'kon jokes aside, I'd love to play as a Githzerai, but I think the most reasonable option is to add other, more common races, such as Gnomes or Devas first. Until then, I'll keep roleplaying all the Githzerai related things with my philosopher.
    Shadow of purple wings: Help the Harpers investigate a wizard suspected to be part of the Cult of the Dragon. - NW-DEYV5SVQ9
  • Options
    goonlaughiegoonlaughie Member Posts: 67
    edited August 2014
    Besides all the great races they can make, like deva, minotaur, gnoll, etc - do you think we will ever see the warforged race since it is a part of 4th edition?
  • Options
    degraafinationdegraafination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Was that an Eberron only race?
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    Join Essence of Aggression: PVP-ing Hard Since Beta!
  • Options
    stah01stah01 Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    it is Eberron. And thats where DDO is set. Id much rather see more classes than a new race again.
    GShBCGl.jpg
  • Options
    dreamhuntressxdreamhuntressx Member Posts: 453 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Eberron is this featured in another game.
    Leanan Sidhe (not "The Dresde Files" fairy!) - NW Legit Channel Moderator
  • Options
    ianthewizard2012ianthewizard2012 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,142 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    It doesn't fit into Forgotten Realms' history so nope.
  • Options
    jorifice1jorifice1 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Honestly?
    If there is enough Buzz around it that they can reasonably expect people to pay a fairly substantial amount of Real World Money for it (A.K.A. the Dragonborn and Drow Renegade) they yes, they will likely find a way to shoehorn it into the Lore of the Game. I will say this: If it is well done and I have the disposable income at the time, then I would be willing to consider such a purchase strongly.

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • Options
    equ4lizerequ4lizer Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    jorifice1 wrote: »
    Honestly?
    If there is enough Buzz around it that they can reasonably expect people to pay a fairly substantial amount of Real World Money for it (A.K.A. the Dragonborn and Drow Renegade) they yes, they will likely find a way to shoehorn it into the Lore of the Game. I will say this: If it is well done and I have the disposable income at the time, then I would be willing to consider such a purchase strongly.

I second that, maybe think it as warforged could be planes walking into faerun somehow.
    Anyway I'll stay with dragonborn for now.
    IGN: Granzon
    军医骑士 超过三千水平 突破极限释放开
    Daily: Granworm Sword
    Enounter: Vow of Enmity | Worm Smasher | 縮退砲
    Class Feature: Kabbalah System
    Aura: Warp Field

IGN: Faluzure 19k Tenebrous Soulbinder Scourge Warlock
    (The Corrupted) (Retired)
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I just looked it up and Warforged are no longer considered Eberron only, and they are a generic 4e race. However from what I can find on the internet no specific FR origin story has ever been created for them, making it doubtful that it will be put into Neverwinter unless of course it's written into perhaps the 5e FR book when that comes out.
  • Options
    asmodeus451asmodeus451 Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    While Warforged are fairly common in Eberron (as others have pointed out), they are rather rare in FR.

They DO exist in FR though, so it is not outside the realm of possibility. Just highly unlikely.

Edit: ninja'd
    Tenebris lux mea est
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited August 2014
    One of the developers did say it's not impossible a while back...

But I can tell you there are no plans as of now...

But despite him saying he would really love to play a Warforged he said it was possible but a bit more on the unlikely side. A lot of players would have to want it.

And to throw my two cents in...I would prefer Warforged to stay far away from FR. I don't like them in Eberon...or rather I likely don't like Eberon because of them...and I don't want to see them here. :)
    While Warforged are fairly common in Eberron (as others have pointed out), they are rather rare in FR.

This is incorrect. They are a generic D&D race but they are not in FR.
    It's like Draconians in Dragonlance.

The only way they would exist in FR is through systems like Spelljammer.
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited August 2014

But despite him saying he would really love to play a Warforged he said it was possible but a bit more on the unlikely side. A lot of players would have to want it.

And to throw my two cents in...I would prefer Warforged to stay far away from FR. I don't like them in Eberon...or rather I likely don't like Eberon because of them...and I don't want to see them here. :)
    Cylon hater.
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Lets just get the Elemental Genasi and Yuan Ti races in then, haha. Diversity at it's best.
    I would also love to play as a Genasi, if there was a choice of elemental types based on it.
    军医骑士 超过三千水平 突破极限释放开

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Could they not be a creation of the priests of gond, it would fit if you really wanted them here. With war and the way the undead are raised from the fallen armies. As there constructs mostly they would be a great help in the various wars an issues plaguing the lands. They could use solders who died and bodies were raised as undead, by putting whats left of there life force into the warforged body to animate it. Just and idea
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Could they not be a creation of the priests of gond, it would fit if you really wanted them here. With war and the way the undead are raised from the fallen armies. As there constructs mostly they would be a great help in the various wars an issues plaguing the lands. They could use solders who died and bodies were raised as undead, by putting whats left of there life force into the warforged body to animate it. Just and idea

Reminds me of robotcop. Simply. Sounds like a good idea though.
    军医骑士 超过三千水平 突破极限释放开

• Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited August 2014
    Could they not be a creation of the priests of gond

In the table in your basement, sure. But this isn't a table in a basement, this is an officially licensed product and has to conform to official standards of the Forgotten Realms.

Wizard of the Coast owns the licence. If you want to suggest major changes to the known lore like that you are on the wrong forums. ;)
  • Options
    asmodeus451asmodeus451 Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited August 2014

sorry to disagree, but i'm fairly certain (tho i admittedly cant remember what book its in) that there were passages in the 4E sourcebooks dealing with how Warforged could exist in the Realms without coming from some other setting (IIRC, one method involved a Wizard pulling a Geppetto)

only one way to know for sure: CALL IN THE ZEB!!!
    Tenebris lux mea est
This discussion has been closed.