What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The "New Race(s)" Feedback Thread!

Comments

• Options
    silverquicksilverquick Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Doesn't matter. What's considered playable in 4th edition is considered playable. Period.

Wheee a thousand Drizzt Doorden's running around... how unique and novell... errm oh wait... nevermind...
  • Options
    stah01stah01 Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I want Githyanki
    GShBCGl.jpg
  • Options
    nordveignordveig Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I think at this point in time creating a new race is pointless. We pretty much have all the standard D&D races. In hindsight I think the Githyanki would be a good addition, however just adding them as a racial option wouldn't do them justice because they are so interesting. If we are going to add the Githyanki we need content associated with them.

I think this is my biggest gripe with the MMO, too much action not enough story. I noticed that they added some quests related to your race but I think we need more of this sort of thing. This stops the MMO just being pure action gives a level of immersion and makes you feel special by allowing the choices that you made in character creation affect your gameplay.

I know we have the foundry but I hear its not so good right now and you could be playing in a completely different universe, a person could create a 'lord of the rings' quest if they wanted to I guess. If you have story in the main content it feels more 'official' as if you actually did something in the D&D universe, foundry content may be good but I'm not sure if you you would really feel if you were in the D&D universe.
  • Options
    darigaaz87darigaaz87 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Thinking of the classic FR campaign, I say that the three races that this game couldn't let out of players' choice are Gnomes, Aasimar (Devas), and Genasi. The latter ones would be something worth a full expansion, introducing maybe more racial variants (like Wild Elves, Star Elves, Golden Dwarves, Duergars, etc.), and maybe also the various human ethnic groups (this would be more flavour-oriented, like patron deity or birth region).

In my opinion all other races are too far from the setting in which we're playing, with maybe Dragonborn as the only exception (would be very interesting an expansion/module with adventures on Abeir). Races as shifters, changeling, minotaurs, are just too rare for be included in such a game: we are not running a PnP worldwide campaign where one can choose to play a minotaur because it would be cool, we should stick to the common races (more common, at least) and maybe their variants.

Another thing: shadar-kai. I LOVE this race, as I love everything dark/grim, but I don't think it should be playable. A better choice would be the shade race from Netheril, something very alike the PnP shadar-kai, but with different background.
  • Options
    skarlspeedskarlspeed Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    darigaaz87 wrote: »
    Thinking of the classic FR campaign, I say that the three races that this game couldn't let out of players' choice are Gnomes, Aasimar (Devas), and Genasi. The latter ones would be something worth a full expansion, introducing maybe more racial variants (like Wild Elves, Star Elves, Golden Dwarves, Duergars, etc.), and maybe also the various human ethnic groups (this would be more flavour-oriented, like patron deity or birth region).

In my opinion all other races are too far from the setting in which we're playing, with maybe Dragonborn as the only exception (would be very interesting an expansion/module with adventures on Abeir). Races as shifters, changeling, minotaurs, are just too rare for be included in such a game: we are not running a PnP worldwide campaign where one can choose to play a minotaur because it would be cool, we should stick to the common races (more common, at least) and maybe their variants.

Another thing: shadar-kai. I LOVE this race, as I love everything dark/grim, but I don't think it should be playable. A better choice would be the shade race from Netheril, something very alike the PnP shadar-kai, but with different background.

I agree. There was a time that the Dark elves with innate abilities were overpowering. However most of my DMs understood statistics and balance about as well as they understood unicorn therapy.

Now I am off to play my half elve half tarrasque character and laugh at others who play "lesser" toons. My I'm so powerful :)

So I get to play my human and gnome and watch the dark elf monty haul power gamer click on innate power after innate power etc etc. yay. I quit more pen and paper games because of this. Bad pen and paper games are bad.
  • Options
    jimpman88jimpman88 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    BTW the 4th ed Forgotten realms setting has added Dragonborn to it with a decent background. Tieflings are not born from fiends - as some have suggested; but cursed by Asmodeus. And Deva;s turn into Rakshasa if they go evil..which is neat too (not that alignment makes a dif in this game)
    My vote went to Genasi as theyre neat and in the 4th ed FR already.
  • Options
    pantheist84pantheist84 Member Posts: 33
    edited May 2014
    Personally I would like to see a Pirate class.
  • Options
    zomdzomd Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Dragonborn/kin would be a great addition, imo, just because they'd be pretty distinctive. They are certainly less common among MMO races and aren't yet another human just with a appearance slight change or two.

Just a suggestion, if you can find a wiki link for each of the races so people can get a sense/read about them before choosing and put in the original post I think that'd be helpful for people not familiar with the D&D races.
  • Options
    jtrivjtriv Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2014
    I think the dragon born is the best. and other than facial features they are like most other humanoids. but gabazels etc would be to much. they differ in body so much that it practicly take an entire gear revamp. Im tired of humans and elfs and new races just being one or the other in a different color. we need a new stand alone race. and I wouldn't mind dragon born. Though im a devote tiefling and have been since its been a playable race in D&D and have used them in all the games Im allowed I would make a dragonborn just for kicks and giggles. And I know some want the celestial counterpart to the teifling but really its never been a popular race and I don't see that changing. And a main attribute to some of the mixed demon/devil races are wings such as drow/demon. so their really out of the picture.
  • Options
    jtrivjtriv Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2014
    Well that's actually the point... all this stuff that's suppose to be rare and unique and becoming common and... mundane.

Oh.. yawn... another artifact.

Oh yawn... my 1000th time seeing a tiefling riding a nightmare...

Which plane are we on again?

Teiflings became a "common" race in 4e. with the fact all teiflings can breed with any race and produce a full blooded tiefling its common sence the race will become as common as the race they originated from (humans). with this racial feature its almost inevitable ,without some type of genocide or world changing event similar to the spellplague, that infact teiflings become the major race in aboril toril(I think that's how you speel the worl now. lmao 4e psh.)
  • Options
    celticgamer0celticgamer0 Member Posts: 537 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Gnomes are... monsters now!? *facepalm* I miss the original D&D, but I suppose 4th is best suited for MMO and not desktop
  • Options
    thesensaithesensai Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    technically humans are too, as they are listed in the monster manuals

Also technically any race can be played by a character. The rules are there.
  • Options
    celticgamer0celticgamer0 Member Posts: 537 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    str8slayer wrote: »
    I suppose it could be considered common, as common as the wizards capable of casting the necessary spells, I would imagine. The thing is nearly all extra-planar creatures have their own magical traits and just because it's alignment may be close to the PC that summoned it doesn't necessarily mean it will sympathize with the mage and his party. In such cases where it does, the mage usually has to dominate the creature magically, anyhow. Having exotic creatures show up in times-of-need is one thing, having them as playable races is another.

If you roll a bugbear wizard with 18 int I will be skeptical to say the least... I'm not saying such creatures could never work with an adventuring group, just that implementing them into NW may be a bit, impractical.

I just want to add one thing to this debate. GOOD drow are supposed to be rare. Zaknafein and Drizzt were exceptions yet we have drow in Neverwinter playing the 'good' adventurer with only our RP imaginations to make them otherwise. Why not go 'hog-wild' with the other races? Why not make a good minotaur or intelligent bugbear... heck, a brave kobold would be a thing too. The only limit to D&D is your imagination. The things I have come up with to screw with players as a DM is numerous.
  • Options
    matthewfelixmatthewfelix Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I know in 4e they are in introduced in the Eberron Player's guide, but I've always been fond of Warforged. Shardminds are interesting, but I've always found Warforged to be more entertaining, and all you have to do is reskin a bald human to use wooden and metalic/armored textures and the racial avatar template would be complete. Shardminds would replace the skin with a crystaline structure and allow for 'crystal hair patterns'.
    It does seem like a lot of people want Dragonborn though, after the April fool's prank that would be as close to playing a real dragon as someone will get.
  • Options
    matthewskillmatthewskill Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I like your name ^
  • Options
    psychicslugpsychicslug Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    With the wonders of gond comming would be cool to have a gnome I mean ther very lovable and mechanically inclined, alsi just love to build but that aside they are very non confrontational unlike the red cap cousins who are in the game so in short it would be nice.
    jFAhaDG.jpg
  • Options
    eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited July 2014
  • Options
    hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,462 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    According to the lore when you first enter Sharandar, redcaps are gnomes who were unable to escape the Fomorians.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited July 2014
    Those images were on topic but technically all memes. So I compromised. i let you keep one and killed the others so the web team doesn't kill me. ;)

People love their gnomes for some reason that baffles me. Not my cup of tea but hey to each their own.

Personally the only thing I want to do with gnomes, and halflings for that matter, is use them as a soccer ball.
    No gnome love from me, haha.
  • Options
    ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Not after seeing the artwork for gnomes in the latest edition. Keep those ugly things hidden.
  • Options
    myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Gnomes were one of the original 1st edition D&D races - they deserve to be part of this game.

Tieflings didn't enter the D&D world for MANY years after gnomes . . .
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
  • Options
    bernatkbernatk Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    We have halflings. Why do you want more small folks?
    JMYwySk.jpg
  • Options
    rabbinicusrabbinicus Member Posts: 1,822 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Those images were on topic but technically all memes. So I compromised. i let you keep one and killed the others so the web team doesn't kill me. ;)

People love their gnomes for some reason that baffles me. Not my cup of tea but hey to each their own.

Personally the only thing I want to do with gnomes, and halflings for that matter, is use them as a soccer ball.
    No gnome love from me, haha.

No need to be hateful Ambi. Gnomes would be perfect for a module with a draconic focus, since dragons love them (and halflings) as fantastic appetizers! :)
    The right to command is earned through duty, the privilege of rank is service.

• Options
    reshomiiiireshomiiii Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 25
    edited July 2014
    Yes! i want to go gnome punting in neverwinter dwarf tossing is fun but not as rewarding :P
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Hey, even Halfings need someone to kick around.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited July 2014
    hustin1 wrote: »
    According to the lore when you first enter Sharandar, redcaps are gnomes who were unable to escape the Fomorians.
    Yep, both the redcaps and the quicklings are "corrupted" gnomes.

P.S. Gnomes are monsters!
  • Options
    myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    zebular wrote: »
    Yep, both the redcaps and the quicklings are "corrupted" gnomes.

P.S. Gnomes are monsters!

In 1st edition D&D (for all of us "old school" D&D players), everything except for gnome was originally a "monster." But I suppose things to evolve . . . :)
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited July 2014
    myowmyow wrote: »
    In 1st edition D&D (for all of us "old school" D&D players), everything except for gnome was originally a "monster." But I suppose things to evolve . . . :)
    That was an argument made by one of my players some 20 years ago when I first started DMing... which led me to allow him to roll up a Minotaur fighter. :D Now, after 20+ years of DMing Forgotten Realms, I have a sheet that I made up with over 30 races/subraces that my players can be, all with racial stat bonuses and abilities.
  • Options
    reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I don't see why people want gnomes, I think the new halflings look very much like gnomes anyway... but to each their own.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
This discussion has been closed.