test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The "New Race(s)" Feedback Thread!

shadedwraithshadedwraith Member Posts: 32 Arc User
edited September 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
Hi guys I just had three ideas for some new player races to be made for Neverwinter, and want to put them out there. Hope to see some of the community ideas as well!
Dragonborn- This race seems to be by far one of the most unique races out there in DnD and would spice things up a bit.
Assiamar- We have Tieflings why not their opposite the celestial blooded Assiamars?
Gnomes-basic DnD race, have no clue why they didn't make it into the Player's Handbook at the beginning of 4E but it would be nice to see these little tricksters make their way into Neverwinter.

If you're interested in discussing New Classes, check out The "New Class(es) Feedback" Thread, now with its own poll too!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    sophiniallysesophiniallyse Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I know Valindra is the enemy and all, but I'd really like a Lich race.
    Especially if we got a new necromancer class or something like that.
  • Options
    harnelharnel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    In 4e, Aasimar were replaced with Devas, which... are honestly more interesting.

However, I can totally get behind having Dragonborn as a race. They're in the main player's handbook after all, and data mining has shown that we already have the basis for them ingame. We just need models and similar stuff.
  • Options
    unholydragonkingunholydragonking Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 147 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I would kill to have the Dragonborn race as a playable race in NW >< and I think I saw someone mention about having the Aasimar before, but they weren't included in 4th edition DnD, so looked it up on the web and found this: "The 4th edition Player's Handbook 2 (released in March 2009) includes devas as a playable race. As in the Forgotten Realms Player's Guide, it is explained that devas are celestial beings transmigrated into a mortal frame, and thus not a race of creatures in the normal sense. Contrary to previous portrayals of aasimar, devas cannot procreate. Upon death, they reincarnate somewhere else in the world."

So guess we won't be having them sadly, at least for a while.

Gnomes are a bit meh, but that's just my opinion.
  • Options
    myles08807myles08807 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 409 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    You could do worse than making the Changeling a playable race...bonuses to Stealth, and an on-the-fly ability to change appearance that might manifest as a certain number of non-class Skill charges per day, or a free appearance change every so often...
  • Options
    shrewguyshrewguy Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Gnomes are a monster race in 4e They got removed from the list of playable races. (hahahahahaha!)

Dragonborn could work but they are a bit too far from humanoid shape, meaning there wil be a lot of clipping issues, even worse than tieflings have it.

Diva's/Assimar (same race just renamed) Are probably the best bet to be honest.

Edit: or just throw in more elf races.. I mean, we only have 6 different flavours of elf. -_-
  • Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I vote some form undead please... we have all those undead companions. it be amusing to have a theme.
  • Options
    dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    shrewguy wrote: »
    Gnomes are a monster race in 4e They got removed from the list of playable races. (hahahahahaha!)

They were included in the 2nd player's handbook as a playable race.
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    You've got to figure that there's too much invested in the regular humanoid shape to go and make special versions of all the armor and fashion items. Devas/Aasimar are probably the best candidate. Perhaps they do add Shadar-kai s a playable race as well.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    True. If you want an example of how a current Reptilian face looks, just look at Rhix or the Lizardfolk in Pirate's Skyhold. While kobolds look horrible, the lizards don't look so bad.

As for Shadar-Kai, the vast, vast majority of them are evil, but not all of them. Adventurers are mean to be exceptional individuals, after all, else we wouldn't have so many tieflings running around, as they're not exactly a common race.
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    nightken wrote: »
    I vote some form undead please... we have all those undead companions. it be amusing to have a theme.

This.
    Then I'd summon all my undead companions as I ride my Reanimated (Decaying) Horse around.

It would be EPIC.

(However, Warlock will be the next-best thing, theme-wise).
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    OK.

Just for your information, the dragonborn race was in the game files during closed beta. So it's probably being worked on. No one knows if and when it's going to be released.
  • Options
    hefisdohefisdo Member Posts: 709 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    Dragonborn w/o doubt.
    diogene0 wrote: »
    OK.

Just for your information, the dragonborn race was in the game files during closed beta. So it's probably being worked on. No one knows if and when it's going to be released.

Well... we have some hope then.
    (´・ ω ・`)
  • Options
    shipoffoolsshipoffools Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Making an undead 'race' would be fairly easy actually. The models wouldn't change much (except for the 'undead damage' to the skin of course), they could use the same skeleton, and rigging would also remain similar (unless you wanted to change the undead's overall posture). They would need new animation for the idle part, but most of the other animations would remain intact... Gear would also pretty much remain intact as well...
  • Options
    reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Eladrin, dragonborn and gnomes are all core races in DnD 4th edition I think.
    We could also have Devas and Catfolk. for instance.
    I think they should have all the core races playable before starting with the rest though.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • Options
    shadedwraithshadedwraith Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    reiwulf wrote: »
    I think they should have all the core races playable before starting with the rest though.

I agree, we have Eladrin(Moon Elves, Sun elves), so that leaves Dragonborn and Gnomes left.
  • Options
    vampbat666vampbat666 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    well what about full orcs or goblins they may not be core races but they would be interesting, i really like the dragonborn and the lizard folk idea so that has my vote though the problem is the fact that there are many different lizard folk out there.
  • Options
    dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    reiwulf wrote: »

Only race from the first player's handbook we are missing are Dragonborn.

From the 2nd player's handbook, we have half-orcs. Gnomes and Devas are also both in the 2nd player's handbook. Also in there are goliaths and shifters. There are also the Genasi from the Forgotten Realms campaign setting. Though the only issue with them is their elemental manifestation which would require several versions of them in Neverwinter.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited April 2014
    . . . Four races that come to mind that we're sorely missing, as these are PHB and FRPG core races:
    • Dragonborn
    • Gensai
    • Githzerai
    • Gnome

. . . Additionally, we need the various sub-races for the Dwarves as well and are still missing the Green/Wild Elf. Currently, we have Sun, Moon, Wood, and Drow. I doubt we'll see aquatic elves or avariel, but they would be neat too! Also, expand the half-elves to include the sub-races, for they do differ in appearance and with the 1/2 drow especially.

. . . Here's a breakdown of 4th edition races and classes:

Classes:
    PHB1: Fighter, Cleric, Rogue, Ranger, Paladin, Warlock, Warlord, and Wizard.
    PHB2: Avenger, Bard, Barbarian, Druid, Invoker, Shaman, Sorcerer, and Warden.
    PHB3: Ardent, Battlemind, Monk, Psion, Runepriest, and Seeker (PHB3 also introduces hybrid classes for Artificer, Ardent, Avenger, Barbarian, Bard, Battlemind, Cleric, Druid, Fighter, Invoker, Monk, Paladin, Psion, Ranger, Rogue, Runepriest, Seeker, Shaman, Sorcerer, Swordmage, Warden, Warlock, Warlord, and Wizard).
    NWCS: Swordmage, Warlock, and Spellscarred.

Races:
    PHB1: Dragonborn, Dwarf, Eladrin, Elf, Half-Elf, Halfling, Human, and Tiefling.
    PHB2: Deva, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, and Shifter.
    PHB3: Githzerai, Minotaur, Sharmind, and Wilden.
    FRPG: Drow, Genasi, Dragonborn, Dwarf, Eladrin, Elf, Half-Elf, Halfling, Human, and Tiefling.
    NWCS:
    (Racial Variants) Dwarf, Eladrin, and Elf.

All this information comes from my own 4e Rulebooks and not from Wikis. These are Core Rulebooks and not Supplements.

Key:
    PHB1 = 4e Player's Handbook: Arcane, Divine, and Martial Heroes
    PHB2 = 4e Player's Handbook 2: Primal, Arcane, and Divine Heroes
    PHB3 = 4e Player's Handbook 3: Psionic, Divine, and Primal Heroes
    FRPG = 4e Forgotten Realms Player's Guide
    NWCS = 4e Neverwinter Campaign Setting
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    thats true

the dopplegangers could be very interesting aswell, but changelings would be more doable but maybe not make the stealth of a rogue longer maybe they have an active ability where they choose a certain enemy and become them for a few minutes something like that maybe
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    what about templates aswell those would be good like in the original table top you had to go through somekind of ritual or instead with lycanthrope there is something like a 5% chance that you could become infected or something
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    vampbat666 wrote: »
    what about templates aswell those would be good like in the original table top you had to go through somekind of ritual or instead with lycanthrope there is something like a 5% chance that you could become infected or something

Well, that'd either have to be done through something similar to the boon system or as an individual race (ala WoW's Worgen). Anything else and you're likely shooting yourself in the foot, because anybody who's anybody goes out to get it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Half-Dragons & Half-Trolls.
  • Options
    shadowheraldshadowherald Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    nightken wrote: »
    There is an undead race. It is called the Revenant, and it is a race native to the Forgotten Realms.

Would be a fun race to play, but having a lot of Revenants running around ( a race that can't procreate by the way) may seem a little absurb.
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    There is an undead race. It is called the Revenant, and it is a race native to the Forgotten Realms.

Would be a fun race to play, but having a lot of Revenants running around ( a race that can't procreate by the way) may seem a little absurb.

More absurd than people trapped inside cubes or people riding ghost mounts in the main social hub and having birds on fire flying around? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    shadowheraldshadowherald Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    diogene0 wrote: »
    More absurd than people trapped inside cubes or people riding ghost mounts in the main social hub and having birds on fire flying around? :rolleyes:
    Yeah, and halflings running around being great weapon fighters, your right. To hell with it.
  • Options
    thesensaithesensai Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    zebular wrote: »
    . . . Four races that come to mind that we're sorely missing, as these are PHB and FRPG core races:
    • Dragonborn
    • Gensai
    • Githzerai
    • Gnome

. . . Additionally, we need the various sub-races for the Dwarves as well and are still missing the Green/Wild Elf. Currently, we have Sun, Moon, Wood, and Drow. I doubt we'll see aquatic elves or avariel, but they would be neat too! Also, expand the half-elves to include the sub-races, for they do differ in appearance and with the 1/2 drow especially.

. . . Here's a breakdown of 4th edition races and classes:

Classes:
    PHB1: Fighter, Cleric, Rogue, Ranger, Paladin, Warlock, Warlord, and Wizard.
    PHB2: Avenger, Bard, Barbarian, Druid, Invoker, Shaman, Sorcerer, and Warden.
    PHB3: Ardent, Battlemind, Monk, Psion, Runepriest, and Seeker (PHB3 also introduces hybrid classes for Artificer, Ardent, Avenger, Barbarian, Bard, Battlemind, Cleric, Druid, Fighter, Invoker, Monk, Paladin, Psion, Ranger, Rogue, Runepriest, Seeker, Shaman, Sorcerer, Swordmage, Warden, Warlock, Warlord, and Wizard).
    NWCS: Swordmage, Warlock, and Spellscarred.

Races:
    PHB1: Dragonborn, Dwarf, Eladrin, Elf, Half-Elf, Halfling, Human, and Tiefling.
    PHB2: Deva, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, and Shifter.
    PHB3: Githzerai, Minotaur, Sharmind, and Wilden.
    FRPG: Drow, Genasi, Dragonborn, Dwarf, Eladrin, Elf, Half-Elf, Halfling, Human, and Tiefling.
    NWCS:
    (Racial Variants) Dwarf, Eladrin, and Elf.

All this information comes from my own 4e Rulebooks and not from Wikis. These are Core Rulebooks and not Supplements.

Key:
    PHB1 = 4e Player's Handbook: Arcane, Divine, and Martial Heroes
    PHB2 = 4e Player's Handbook 2: Primal, Arcane, and Divine Heroes
    PHB3 = 4e Player's Handbook 3: Psionic, Divine, and Primal Heroes
    FRPG = 4e Forgotten Realms Player's Guide
    NWCS = 4e Neverwinter Campaign Setting

I would add to this a few sources from 3rd edition Forgotten realms. "Races of Faerun" is a rich source with many interesting and highly viable races(and also of note these races still exist in forgotten realms and did not magically disappear with 4th ). Of particular note is the Feyri race, a elf subrace that is part succubus. effecivly this race is 3/4 sun elf 1/4 succubus. Elf with bat wings and demon tail. Very cool ,and would make an excellent addition to the Neverwinter selection. Many other FR player races exist in this source.
  • Options
    stainfurlagstainfurlag Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 4
    edited April 2014
    i would love some more monstrous races, i'm kinda tired of all the "beauty and actractive humanoid races" (ok, half-orcs and an dwarves are a bit of exeption here, no offense guys). I would love to play dragonborns , Kobolds (i would love to see an GWF kobold, even if he kick my *** XD), lizardfolks may be? Tengus, o my god Tengus! fetchlings, werepeople (werewolf-tiger-bear-etc) ratfolks, gnolls, may be dhampirs, warforged, genasis, and those are the few ones i can think right now, i know there are a lot more! (personally i would mention even more, but the ones i know are from pathfinder so i'm not sure wich ones are in both games and wich one not, and some others are the same but with diferent names so) not saying that they should add all of them (but i wouldn't mind :P) but i personally belive that each module should add a new race, or may be every two modules,
    i don't mention assimars or devas, i think the game is alreaddy filled with "pretty races"
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    what about the half dragon thing where you can choose bloodlines draconian, were, feral or just original race where there are different benefits of playing them though with the were people i would imagine that they only get the benefits when transformed or something like in the original table top
  • Options
    soriniakovsoriniakov Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I think !Vampire! is most beautiful and interesting race to have

it's elite "undead" race with different interesting abilities which can have great animation)

do you agree, mm?)
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    well that is true that would be an interesting add in but personally i still prefer how the were creature template
This discussion has been closed.