test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Enchanted Keys becoming Bind on Account

Comments

• Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited July 2014
    charononus wrote: »
    You play single player titles for story and immersion etc. MMO's are about combat and group mechanics.
    . . . That may be true for some but for me it is not. I play MMOs because they are persistant worlds which (usually) receive constant updates and evolution of the game. The group mechanics are more of a bonus for me, as I play mostly solo. Immersion and story are extremely important to me in MMOs. More so than single player games and more so than group mechanics.

. . . Single player games have an end and even those that "don't" still do in my opinion, as they get boring and have little replay value. Over the past few years, I have been feeling like Single Player games are a waste of money. I'd rather play and pay for an online game that constantly evolves, gets updates and fixes, and allows for social functions, should one desire.
  • Options
    ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    zebular wrote: »
    . . . That may be true for some but for me it is not. I play MMOs because they are persistant worlds which (usually) receive constant updates and evolution of the game. The group mechanics are more of a bonus for me, as I play mostly solo. Immersion and story are extremely important to me in MMOs. More so than single player games and more so than group mechanics.

. . . Single player games have an end and even those that "don't" still do in my opinion, as they get boring and have little replay value. Over the past few years, I have been feeling like Single Player games are a waste of money. I'd rather play and pay for an online game that constantly evolves, gets updates and fixes, and allows for social functions, should one desire.
    You stole the words right off of my keyboard.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    refracted0dawnrefracted0dawn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 894 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    hustin1 wrote: »
    The nature of NW is such that it needs to have an AD sink

I don't get it.

What is an "Astral Diamond Sink" and why do we need one any way?

I wish they would raise the Refinement Per Day limit from 24,000 as it is not enough. At level 60, I get more than 24,000 rough AD per day just from Dailies.

And that is without the 1000 AD per chest during a Skirmish and a lot more on top from Leadership tasks, plus 3000 to 10,000 from salvaging useless Epic Gear from Sharandar and Dread Ring that BoPs.

I had to stop playing with my main character (except Daily Arena PvP event for the Glory and Seals) as he had 63,000 rough AD to refine, so I resurrected my first character and after a few days she had 50,000 rough AD she could not refine as well.

So I bought blue gear for my nine level 46 to 55 Leadership mules so I could resume playing with them as many of them do not even have the second knapsack thing from Neverdeath Graveyard yet.

My "AD Sinks", if I understand the term, are buying Greater Scrolls of Identification for all the junk that drops everywhere - 2500 AD for 20 scrolls. I buy about 80 per day, so there's 10,000 AD down the drain.

Plus, my GPF cost me 4,050,000, a Soulforged was maybe 3 or 4 million (I forget now), plus Wards etc. plus, I bought a complete set of Grand Templar while I was saving the Glory and Seals for the Profound Virtuous set.

If I could get Zen for my AD, I'd buy keys in the next sale, or get them from the AH. Then I'd open boxes to get more Professions staff, Astral resonators, mounts, companions and artifacts to trade on the AH, so I can get even more AD. A Perfect Vorpal is about 10 million and a Perfect Barkskin up to 15 million. I don't see any need to limit the amount of AD I can refine, nor to waste the AD I have. refining enchants from Rank 5 to Rank 8 has taken me forever. I just wish I had enough AD to buy Rank 10s outright from the AH.

But now, I cannot even buy keys from the AH. Why? I have never cheated by buying illegitimate stuff from a 3rd party web site, and if I were THAT stupid and got my account hacked and my credit card ripped off, I'd only have myself to blame.

But that would never happen, because I am not an idiot.

Why a I being punished for not being an idiot, not being dishonest and not being a cheat?

I have 12 characters and two spare slots. Getting just one of them with three artifacts at Rank 100 and Rank 10 enchants on all 12 pieces of Gear, plus three on my Ioun Stone, with three Rank 10 Runes is going to take forever.

~
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Sinks exist to limit inflation which is out of control. The prices on all the enchants that you mentioned have been going steadily upward overall because of inflation.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited July 2014
    . . . To relate to the real world, a Money Sink in an MMO is akin to when the Government prints new money and the Banks slowly collect the old printed bills and then ship them off to be destroyed. It's to keep the market from becoming so inflated, devaluing the money, so that new players don't have to play for years to afford something. If all the AD ever created in the game stayed in the market, everything would just continue to get more and more expensive. What we need is for an overhaul to all our current AD sinks, making them cheaper and more affordable so that they are used more often.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    charononus wrote: »
    Sinks exist to limit inflation which is out of control. The prices on all the enchants that you mentioned have been going steadily upward overall because of inflation.

Still don't get it. Maybe if you told me what a "sink" is and how it would work, I might have a better chance of understanding?

Because the way it is at the moment, it is not working at all. I cannot see how limiting the amount of AD I have and stopping me being able to afford something I want could be a good thing.

So, I managed to save enough AD to buy a Perfect Vorpal for 8 million, and I found the cheapest was then 10 million. So I got the GPF for 4 million and I'm waiting wait until someone undercuts the lowest price already up. I have done it before. I have 12 Greater Bags of Holding. Most were about 280k AD. The cheapest was 220k, the most expensive was 360k. The price of that one kept going out of my reach. I finally got it, and the next week there were ten for 240k, so I bought three. Now, they are about 500k or more, about the same as 1000 Zen (a ludicrous price). I would never pay that. If I REALLY needed another one, I'd wait for a Zen Market sale and get one from Cryptic for 750 Zen or 375,000 AD.

I always check the AH price and the various in-game sources. If it's cheaper for AD, I get it from the AH. But as Marks are on the AH for MORE than they cost from Rhix's Mistress, I get them from her. When I open boxes, I get Coalescent Wards with my Trade bars - but I would NEVER buy Preservation Wards from that bozo. The Trade Bar price is absurd. I'd rather buy them with Zen, or AD if they are cheaper. But there is no way I would ever pay 1000 Zen for a Coalescent Ward. I'd rather take my chances with a Preservation Ward.

The way they could control inflation is to reduce the Zen and Trade Bar price of things. They would not lose money, as I and many others would then actually buy MORE Zen with real-world cash. I don't understand how someone could ask 110k or more for something you can get from the Astral Diamond Merchant for 100k. And I don't understand who would pay it. If you find a Mark or get it from a box, and Cryptic sell them for 100k, then surely the AH upper limit should be 99.9k? Who are the fools posting them for 110k, and who are the idiots who pay it?

Apart from IWD apparently wrecking the AD exchange, I think the main problem now is the daft people who ask even dafter prices, and the even dafter people who pay it.

~
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Still don't get it. Maybe if you told me what a "sink" is and how it would work, I might have a better chance of understanding?

Because the way it is at the moment, it is not working at all. I cannot see how limiting the amount of AD I have and stopping me being able to afford something I want could be a good thing.

So, I managed to save enough AD to buy a Perfect Vorpal for 8 million, and I found the cheapest was then 10 million. So I got the GPF for 4 million and I'm waiting wait until someone undercuts the lowest price already up. I have done it before. I have 12 Greater Bags of Holding. Most were about 280k AD. The cheapest was 220k, the most expensive was 360k. The price of that one kept going out of my reach. I finally got it, and the next week there were ten for 240k, so I bought three. Now, they are about 500k or more, about the same as 1000 Zen (a ludicrous price). I would never pay that. If I REALLY needed another one, I'd wait for a Zen Market sale and get one from Cryptic for 750 Zen or 375,000 AD.

I always check the AH price and the various in-game sources. If it's cheaper for AD, I get it from the AH. But as Marks are on the AH for MORE than they cost from Rhix's Mistress, I get them from her. When I open boxes, I get Coalescent Wards with my Trade bars - but I would NEVER buy Preservation Wards from that bozo. The Trade Bar price is absurd. I'd rather buy them with Zen, or AD if they are cheaper. But there is no way I would ever pay 1000 Zen for a Coalescent Ward. I'd rather take my chances with a Preservation Ward.

The way they could control inflation is to reduce the Zen and Trade Bar price of things. They would not lose money, as I and many others would then actually buy MORE Zen with real-world cash. I don't understand how someone could ask 110k or more for something you can get from the Astral Diamond Merchant for 100k. And I don't understand who would pay it. If you find a Mark or get it from a box, and Cryptic sell them for 100k, then surely the AH upper limit should be 99.9k? Who are the fools posting them for 110k, and who are the idiots who pay it?

Apart from IWD apparently wrecking the AD exchange, I think the main problem now is the daft people who ask even dafter prices, and the even dafter people who pay it.

~
    None of that would remove AD from the system, except the AH 10% cut, which is a "sink." You probably typed all that up as I wrote my reply above. Please see my post above your's here, that should help to better understand.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    . . . To relate to the real world, a Money Sink in an MMO is akin to when the Government prints new money and the Banks slowly collect the old printed bills and then ship them off to be destroyed. It's to keep the market from becoming so inflated, devaluing the money, so that new players don't have to play for years to afford something. If all the AD ever created in the game stayed in the market, everything would just continue to get more and more expensive. What we need is for an overhaul to all our current AD sinks, making them cheaper and more affordable so that they are used more often.

Funnily enough, I was talking in-game with a character that had all three Artifacts at Rank 100 and all her Enchants were Rank 10. I asked her how on Earth she did it, expecting her to say she'd spent $5000 on Zen.

But she said she got Rank 6 and 7 Enchants from Refiner, Artifact and Enchantment caches she got from lockboxes and refined them all with Rank 5 Enchants from the AH back in the days when you could buy stacks of 99 Rank 5 enchants for a few 10's of thousands of AD.

Those must have been the days!

But stopping me buying keys from the AH absolutely does NOTHING to help me.

I just look at the AH and get my calculator out. An Epic Stone of Power has 12500 refinement points. An Aquamarine has 1500 etc. So I work out the AD/RP ratio and get the most efficient. Aquamarines were the best buy when I last looked. Power Stones were a better buy than Greater Power Stones.

The other Rare and Epic refining stones were way overpriced, and you got more RP for your AD with the Aquamarines. Brilliant Diamonds are overpriced as well, but at least you can do 250,000 RP in one go.

I need 13 of them for each of my artifacts! :(

~
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited July 2014

It does nothing to hurt you either.

Use the Zen Exchange. It is currently backlogged due to inflation but you never should have felt any need to purchase keys from the AH. Put offers up and you will get your requests filled as soon as possible. Most people seem to say within a few days even with the backlog.

The inflation is a different problem altogether which has to be resolved but buying Zen products in the Auction house was never the intended way for people to gain Zen Products with AD. In fact you were paying more when you purchased there.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Funnily enough, I was talking in-game with a character that had all three Artifacts at Rank 100 and all her Enchants were Rank 10. I asked her how on Earth she did it, expecting her to say she'd spent $5000 on Zen.

But she said she got Rank 6 and 7 Enchants from Refiner, Artifact and Enchantment caches she got from lockboxes and refined them all with Rank 5 Enchants from the AH back in the days when you could buy stacks of 99 Rank 5 enchants for a few 10's of thousands of AD.

Those must have been the days!

I just look at the AH and get my calculator out. An Epic Stone of Power has 12500 refinement points. An Aquamarine has 1500 etc. So I work out the AD/RP ratio and get the most efficient. Aquamarines were the best buy when I last looked. Power Stones were a better buy than Greater Power Stones.

The other Rare and Epic refining stones were way overpriced, and you got more RP for your AD with the Aquamarines. Brilliant Diamonds are overpriced as well, but at least you can do 250,000 RP in one go.

I need 13 of them for each of my artifacts! :(

~
    Which is all beside the point. I feel like you're arguing for the sake of arguing as everytime someone explains it to you, you go even more off topic. Seriously, the only one preventing you from buying keys with AD is yourself. Use the AD Exchange, it truly is that simple.
  • Options
    rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014

Who cares?

Go buy zen from the ZAX. Wait a couple of days. Go buy keys that aren't 15k overpriced.

If you want those keys now, you gotta spend real money. Big whoop. Its not like anything is exclusive in the lockboxes that would create an imbalance you can't get in the auction house anyways.
  • Options
    frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Use the Zen Exchange. It is currently backlogged due to inflation but you never should have felt any need to purchase keys from the AH. Put offers up and you will get your requests filled as soon as possible. Most people seem to say within a few days even with the backlog.

The inflation is a different problem altogether which has to be resolved but buying Zen products in the Auction house was never the intended way for people to gain Zen Products with AD. In fact you were paying more when you purchased there.

If you ignore that:
    * Some people bought keys for gold
    * Some people sold keys for gold
    * Some people gifted and tipped keys
    * Some people asked for keys for payment from split runs
    * Some people traded them for high level lockbox items and enchants so both parties can benefit

Then yes, it doesn't hurt players not at all... The focus should be giving the players a better experience, not making changes against bots that barely helps. Just like when they nerfed nodes to combat bots, they still farm their enchantments but most players don't even bother because it's a waste of time.
  • Options
    rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    frishter wrote: »
    If you ignore that:
    * Some people bought keys for gold
    * Some people sold keys for gold
    * Some people gifted and tipped keys
    * Some people asked for keys for payment from split runs
    * Some people traded them for high level lockbox items and enchants so both parties can benefit

Then yes, it doesn't hurt players not at all... The focus should be giving the players a better experience, not making changes against bots that barely helps.

I think they are trying to cut-out the trading of some items for gold. They probably want most trading to undergo through the auction house/zen store so that it can:

- contribute to the AD sink
    - cut-off 3rd party sites' 2nd highest selling product (enchanted keys)
    - be logged for malicious suspicion
    - prevent player to player scam
    - reversible in extreme cases
  • Options
    yperkeimenosyperkeimenos Member Posts: 334 Arc User
    edited July 2014

In that case all Zen Store items should have been Made BoA upon purchase, from the start. That was a big oversight.
    It's BUGS bunny i tell you.
  • Options
    frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I think they are trying to cut-out the trading of some items for gold. They probably want most trading to undergo through the auction house/zen store so that it can:

- contribute to the AD sink
    - cut-off 3rd party sites' 2nd highest selling product (enchanted keys)
    - be logged for malicious suspicion
    - prevent player to player scam
    - reversible in extreme cases

It should be my decision to make whether I want to trade something or not. I don't go into a store only to be told that I can't exchange it again. It wouldn't be as bad if we actually knew beforehand though.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    frishter wrote: »
    It should be my decision to make whether I want to trade something or not. I don't go into a store only to be told that I can't exchange it again. It wouldn't be as bad if we actually knew beforehand though.
    It's understandable to be upset, but the thing is, you aren't the creator or owner of this game. So what you should and should not do is not dictated by you. They provide a service, and they do not want a particular system on their service being countermanded by players monopolizing the market in a way that was not intended and ended up being abused. It is unfortunate that legitimate players are affected by this but it is no one's fault but those who brought this on. What's done is done, look to the future and stop dwelling on the past, for that does no good for you or anyone.
  • Options
    mystagoguemystagogue Member Posts: 322 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    It's understandable to be upset, but the thing is, you aren't the creator or owner of this game. So what you should and should not do is not dictated by you. They provide a service, and they do not want a particular system on their service being countermanded by players monopolizing the market in a way that was not intended and ended up being abused. It is unfortunate that legitimate players are affected by this but it is no one's fault but those who brought this on. What's done is done, look to the future and stop dwelling on the past, for that does no good for you or anyone.

While everything that you state here is factual and reasonable - it's still not necessarily good business practice. Although it is, in fact, their game and they can do as they darn well please, that doesn't mean that they still shouldn't take their customer's feelings into account.

Quick Edit - and as for the "get over it" mentality - I think that customers (what we are at the end of the day) voicing their opinions is a good thing for a company that wants to learn from how they deal with situations.
  • Options
    devaneiodevaneio Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Good lessons of business: I want you buy my product, but I don't care about your satisfaction.
    :-)
  • Options
    maroon89maroon89 Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Key traders, "But I can't do "A" anymore!"
    Sensible people, "Sure you can. Just do "Y".
    Key traders, "But I can't do "B" anymore!"
    Sensible people, "Sure you can. Just do "Z"
    Key traders, "But I can't do "A" anymore!"
    Sensible people *walks away shaking head*

And the ZAX is going down, 5.3 mil atm.
  • Options
    ryugasiriusryugasirius Member Posts: 996 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Issuing a warning one week earlier wouldn't really have hurt anyone though. Cryptic have all the rights to change things, but when legitimate and well acknowledged features are being changed (we're not talking about exploits being fixed), a warning to players is good practice.

Nobody likes to wake up and have things suddenly stop working. This leads to unnecessary rage and gives free bullets to trolls around the interwebs, to the detriment of the game and company, and is generaly bad for PR.
  • Options
    mcflipmcflip Member Posts: 92
    edited July 2014
    Announcing the change before would have been ok. I would have loved to grab some cheap Keys to use ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    <Heroes of the Fallen Lands>
    B][url=http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?450191-Dragon-FATE-(International)-(Social-PvP-PvE)]Recruitment Topic[/url][/B
    Social, PvE and PvP Guild on Dragon Shard!
  • Options
    iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Issuing a warning one week earlier wouldn't really have hurt anyone though.

The entire way they went about doing it was snide and underhand , they patched it onto preview the night before but failed to post patch notes .
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • Options
    midnightfang93midnightfang93 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    iambecks1 wrote: »
    The entire way they went about doing it was snide and underhand , they patched it onto preview the night before but failed to post patch notes .

This happens every single time something that they know people won't like is patched onto preview. If something is patched onto preview/owlbear (depends on module testing) immediately login and see what changed.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Open up the lockboxes and sell the content and in the future keep to official currency.

That pretty much sums it up.

/thread
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    kalindra wrote: »
    That's not the whole point.
    There are people here opposing not the decision itself, but the way it was realized (not announced beforehand, but leaked).
    It'S bad business practice and it drives even more customers away from content to pay for and towards the ZAX.
    The reduced backlog will be short lived, when the goods form chest opend with the now otherwise worthless keys is sold (for AD) and the demand for Zen through AD will rise again, because of the ever growing mass of BoP-items from the shop combined with the delimited trust in cryptics goods there.

And, as ryugasirius wrote, that's just unneccesary.

I disagree. When the "worthless" keys are used for their actual purpose, opening lockboxes, the stuff put on the AH drives prices down so more people buy stuff AND more transactions on the AH pulls more AD out of the economy.
  • Options
    rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    come on account hacked by trading keys..... how is this even possible???? keys with microchips to hijack our password?
  • Options
    lademonicclademonicc Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Look life isnt perfect. you bought keys - now thier bound. BIG DEAL. open them, they arent gone to waste, they are still usable. if u were hoping to profit off of other players by overpricing keys. well tough luck, because when u use other items like this there is always a chance of an update reducing that items value. hoarding has its benefits and its risk. so whoever was a key abuser - well suck it up

for people saying they needed an annoucment- that would defeat the purpose of the bound key to begin with since it was to hurt botters.

and finally for the rest of u complaining that u cant get keys with ad. You are very impatient person, or just ignorant that you STILL CAN. zen exchange and voila (u actually get more for ur ad too!!)

with that said the only ACTUAL problem here - is not the key bounds. the only problem is the ad backloggs. if there was no backlog - ppl would get thier keys instantly (like it used to be) and if people could get them instantly then key haorders would also not be making profit here either. so it appears to me that people are angry at the bound key when in fact the real issue here is ad inflation.
    ADD AD SINKS there are SEVERAL suggestions from playerbase on solving this issue - but pwe is too afraid to put items for ad (at reasonable price) to help the playerbase resume to play in a healthy economic.

I would like to know why nothing has been added yet for ad sinking? its been going on for quite some time - i see zen sales (which helps- but it only temporary) why hasnt anything PERMANENT been done so far to help inflation?
    increasing the current ad sinks is not going to help new players. but adding ad items on bazaar or putting item upgrade at a actual reasonable price (and many other suggestions) would help solve (or relive pressure)

to sum my post up. the problem isnt the bound key - the problem is the zax exchange disabling players to buy the zen item that u put bound. people wouldnt be complaining if they could instantly trade zen 500;1 ratio. (it would have ONLY HURT BOTTERS. which was the main goal- but it hurt playerbase because ur economic system is broken and inflated. please fix that.)
  • Options
    mcflipmcflip Member Posts: 92
    edited July 2014
    rayrdan wrote: »
    come on account hacked by trading keys..... how is this even possible???? keys with microchips to hijack our password?

Account Information is acquired as soon as you visit 3rd Party Websites, as they probably send you keyloggers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    <Heroes of the Fallen Lands>
    B][url=http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?450191-Dragon-FATE-(International)-(Social-PvP-PvE)]Recruitment Topic[/url][/B
    Social, PvE and PvP Guild on Dragon Shard!
This discussion has been closed.