test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Control Wizard Feedback - Discussions

Comments

• midnightfang93midnightfang93 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Did that happen on preview shard?
    Yes, ask ZengiaH about it more since he was testing Oppressor like he said right below me.
    hfgtfsdfs wrote: »
    That was me. :P
    Shatter gives control, it wont be as useful against GWF/TRs/HRs as against a DC.
    I cant do anything at all against a TR. No control, no damage, and I die fast against them.

Some powers lags the whole game out like the shard and chillstrike/ice knife etc. also the game is crashing for our whole guild.

/ ZengiaH
  • ianthewizard2012ianthewizard2012 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,142 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Yes, ask ZengiaH about it more since he was testing Oppressor like he said right below me.
    To be honest, I'm not surprised because it was against a DC, not against a GWF.
  • meiramimeirami Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    In addition, I want to reinforce that Thaumaturge and Renegade are both DPS trees, and their control being weaker is fine. Oppressor is the premiere control tree --

But why do we have two dps trees? Why not a control tree, a dps tree, and a debuff tree?
    edited June 2014
    To be honest, I'm not surprised because it was against a DC, not against a GWF.

How about vs a HR?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD1rewZUgTA
    edited June 2014
    That's interesting.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited June 2014
    Sounds like a lot of much needed balancing. It's a lot to take in but I don't see anything I do not think I cannot adjust to.
  • silverquicksilverquick Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    grimah wrote: »
    I've finished my first round of testing. So far i ahve to say, Oppressor is very powerful. absurdly powerful, could probably solo entire dungeons on your own.

The short of it, the damage is lower, thaum feats do not work at all (almost not at all). renegade is slightly better and worst in ways.

Stop crying people and saying things that are not true, they gave us too much control with this new patch im afraid, CWs can stand in the middle of packs with as much care as a gwf on live. I will post my breakdown shortly.

So.... they basically broke two trees entirely... and made one overpowered...

Yeah that's pretty typical.

These guys should just stop trying to "fix" things, they're just going to break them more.

That's what they've been doing to the other classes for a year now, when if they'd have never bothered in the first place things would have been just fine.
    edited June 2014
    abaddon523 wrote: »
    I'll have a lot more thorough and constructive feedback later. For now my main comment would be that I wonder if the developers realize just how savage a nerf this is to the CW class. I run a fairly high-end DPS Thaumaturge build (likely the primary build they were targeting for this nerf). I'm almost always the top damager in a dungeon. Occasionally another CW will beat me out. And sometimes a really good GWF will edge me, but not by much.

I ran a 5 minute test in the dread ring beating up the dummies on both the current server and on the test server. Just spamming spells over and over.

On the normal server:

14.949 million damage in 5 minutes.

On the preview server:

5.001 million damage in 5 minutes.

As in, all of these nerfs put together reduce the damage of a Spellstorm Thaumaturge mage by 67%.

Wow.
    Yeah, it seems to me that Thaumaturge become a bit useless, especially the capstone feat.
  • buildsomemusclebuildsomemuscle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Okay so with all due respect you've about butchered the CW class with this colossal wreck of nerfs, Maybe on the side of pve it may be top of the line and yeah i see it gives other classes the ability to dish out some damage instead of CW hogging it all with these nerfs, but that's honestly not even important enough to butcher the class over, if the dungeon gets completed what does it really matter, i understand some adjustments may seem necessary..."some" not demolishing everything we know and need only to be that much slower and weaker. these nerf's are severe for pvp and as a avid pvp player, the cast times are alot slower now, damage is reduced way down, all this did was handicap the class very badly... this really just makes CW sub par and weak and it will become a dead class with no real place in anything if things go this way. trying to stay on topic here but you had plenty of other issues to address, Bugs, perma stealth TR's...yeah like that has any form of balance to it. CW's can't do anything against them except spam a daily and then jump around and be picked away to die but nothing about it in the notes whatsoever, furthermore TR's wont have to stealth once these nerf's come into play. lowering damage...fine whatever, it wasnt that bad, because CW's are a glass cannon and the #1 target, if people think the moderate to high damage sucks then be smart and use "selective" targeting as if most CW's don't die in a instant already... but increasing all cast times to make it that much more difficult to cast off skills while being confronted by enemy targets is just throwing the class to the garbage bin. wheres the "control" part of control wizard now? i fear if these nerf's have their way...CW will be right alongside GWF at the bottom of the food chain for sure, it's sad to see classes that needed minor adjustments get nerfed further or butchered (GWF,CW,DC) and classes that needed correcting get buffed or left as is(HR,TR). that's the end of my rant. it's constructive and probably rude but it's hard to be entirely positive when you miss the point so badly.
  • psychaos999psychaos999 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Okay so with all due respect you've about butchered the CW class with this colossal wreck of nerfs, Maybe on the side of pve it may be top of the line and yeah i see it gives other classes the ability to dish out some damage instead of CW hogging it all with these nerfs, but that's honestly not even important enough to butcher the class over, if the dungeon gets completed what does it really matter, i understand some adjustments may seem necessary..."some" not demolishing everything we know and need only to be that much slower and weaker. these nerf's are severe for pvp and as a avid pvp player, the cast times are alot slower now, damage is reduced way down, all this did was handicap the class very badly... this really just makes CW sub par and weak and it will become a dead class with no real place in anything if things go this way. trying to stay on topic here but you had plenty of other issues to address, Bugs, perma stealth TR's...yeah like that has any form of balance to it. CW's can't do anything against them except spam a daily and then jump around and be picked away to die but nothing about it in the notes whatsoever, furthermore TR's wont have to stealth once these nerf's come into play. lowering damage...fine whatever, it wasnt that bad, because CW's are a glass cannon and the #1 target, if people think the moderate to high damage sucks then be smart and use "selective" targeting as if most CW's don't die in a instant already... but increasing all cast times to make it that much more difficult to cast off skills while being confronted by enemy targets is just throwing the class to the garbage bin. wheres the "control" part of control wizard now? i fear if these nerf's have their way...CW will be right alongside GWF at the bottom of the food chain for sure, it's sad to see classes that needed minor adjustments get nerfed further or butchered (GWF,CW,DC) and classes that needed correcting get buffed or left as is(HR,TR). that's the end of my rant. it's constructive and probably rude but it's hard to be entirely positive when you miss the point so badly.

I think these nerfs are for pve. Maybe they overdone them but they are much needed. GF and DC will now have a spot in party.

For the pvp aspect, I think they'll do something to give cw more survivability
    edited June 2014
    I just realized something funny about EotS.
    • Before it got changed: 8 second duration and 30 second internal cooldown
    • After it got changed to current: 4 (I think?) second duration with no internal cooldown
    • Proposed change: 6 second duration and 90 second internal cooldown (Honestly, thank you for being frank about adding an internal cooldown for once...usually player have to "discover" that).

Funny, huh?
  • mutjinninjamutjinninja Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited June 2014

Try Oppressor for pvp before you gripe. Thaum no longer works, switch it up. Adapt. You'll like the results
    Not gonna lie, oppresser pvp CW is gonna be a bit on the op side. Went 1v1 with a few guild members and I could keep them frozen about 90% of the time. Having chill stack up WHILE they are in frozen status is a very powerful buff to CW pvp.

As for the PvE nerfs, not too worried. CW will always have a spot in a party. Losing mitigation from CoI AND having its damage decreased seems a bit off. One or the other would of been enough, with both nerfs the skill is pointless to slot. Everything else i can live with.

Right? Oppressor is great now. Needs to be fixed for pvp, fingers crossed that fix doesn't break the pve add control awesomeness.
  • besi6besi6 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    why devs, why? :confused:
  • buildsomemusclebuildsomemuscle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Meh...Oppressor is far from great, sure itll be the only viable option left after these nerfs have their way but you clearly dont have a clue whats going on if you can sit there and say that the opressor feat line will save CW's when their damage has been nerfed by 2/3 and all kinds of disappointing changes, CW's havent been that epic in pvp...they are the easiest to killl so they deserve to have the strength to kill when the enemy isnt smart enough to strike them first, the only useful feat in opressor is severe reaction which ive used for awhile and shatter strike for a cold build...but no one really cares about stacks of chill in any form at the moment, but it will cold builds or nothing after patch if CW's want a fighting chance so sure why not " Oppressor for save CW"
  • hexanna22hexanna22 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 204 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    rayrdan wrote: »
    Perma Freeze is possible. Proof here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD1rewZUgTA

is that with Cockatrice? If so does it work the same without?
    edited June 2014
    hexanna22 wrote: »
    is that with Cockatrice? If so does it work the same without?

That is without Cockatrice, 90% sure. From my knowledge, most of the people on preview today removed their companions because they were actually trying to test the class changes, not class changes with a buff of companions. If you want to ask to confirm it, just check the chat of the video for the @handle and send the CW a message.
  • hexanna22hexanna22 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 204 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    That is without Cockatrice, 90% sure. From my knowledge, most of the people on preview today removed their companions because they were actually trying to test the class changes, not class changes with a buff of companions. If you want to ask to confirm it, just check the chat of the video for the @handle and send the CW a message.

Thanx, do you know was he just trying to freeze him and not kill him? Cuz really overall excpet for one point where he drops just below half, hardly any damage done to him....(your screen goes dark and I can't read the typing if the answer is there)
    edited June 2014
    hexanna22 wrote: »
    Thanx, do you know was he just trying to freeze him and not kill him? Cuz really hardly any damage done to him....(your screen goes dark and I can't read the typing if the answer is there)

I think they were doing a 1v1 to test out their builds, which usually ended up being the person either fully dies or the winner stops right before death when its certain that they won. CW can perma freeze, but it involves spamming ray of frost (low damage) as much as you can until your cooldowns are reset which can be detrimental for enemies that literally heal on attacks they deflect (HR) or enemies that reflect damage (the GF daily, Fey thistle, etc.). A similar thing was done to a DC a while before this video using icy terrain as well and I think the DC was able to use ~3-4 powers at most before they died; the fight lasted at least a minute or two. Now, against a TR/sentinel GWF (specifying sentinel since only they have 100% unstoppable now in preview) the CW is probably going to die (don't know, didn't actually see or remember a fight involving them).

As far as "hardly any damage done to him" its because of the new HR feat which heals 5% (2.5% with healing depression) of their HP over 15 seconds, has no internal cooldown, and stacks. So, the ray of frost was really healing any damage that he did to the HR with his encounters by the time he could use them again. If it wasn't for the massive healing, that HR would have died LONG before he typed "I quit lol"; its a slow, cold death. An extreme case where you can see the healing is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jUVjGUtTIM
    Edit: I saw ~94 stacks at once in the video near the end

Also, something in the CW's arsenal is bypassing cc immunity in its rooting at the moment in preview, so there is that too. I popped unstoppable while frozen on 3 separate occasions and I had to wait for the freezing to end before I could move, even with unstoppable.

As for the typing, since I'm assuming you can't read the handle names, the CW is @crazymikee regarding the cockatrice question.
  • ivantomdisplayivantomdisplay Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Next time u record a video do it more profesionally. Couldnt see anything.
    [10:49] [Combat (Self)] Your Proton Barrage deals 96581 (43411) Proton(Critical) to Seto.
    Poor soul didnt have time to log out.
    edited June 2014
    Next time u record a video do it more profesionally. Couldnt see anything.

Its a random recording because (1) I felt like it, (2) I still have a free trial from a program I had to download for a class, (3) People don't believe text when they hear "perma-X". I literally have nothing that I ever need to record to warrant doing do frequently. Please, feel free to record your own video showing the same thing.
  • notsosneaky69notsosneaky69 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Having tried the test server I noticed a few things. Survivability has gone down, but not terribly, it takes a bit longer and a few more charges on my greater stone of health to get small heroic encounters done. Meaning it's harder to solo the Marauding Barbarians and the Merchant ones. So the changes are noticable, in the long run it affects your total damage, but per attack it's not overly visible. Due to each attack hitting for different amounts every time it's hard to really say how big changes in total are. I'll have to do some more testing before I come with a proper verdict though. Against NPCs I can't say that my control abilities have improved, but then again, I'm Thaumaturge. I'm specced for DPS, not control.
  • crazymikeecrazymikee Member Posts: 694 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    rayrdan wrote: »
    Perma Freeze is possible. Proof here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD1rewZUgTA

I hope you all see the HR healing bonus aswell. I was literally doing less damage then he was healing for a majority of the fight. This is probably the only viable build for PvP if it's released like it is now. (which its not) Hopefully they see that some of the changes they made were definatly negative towards the class. It may or may not have been a buff for PvE but it surely was a nurf for PvP, the casting times are hair-pulling when your in the heat of a battle
    Coach Mike - 19.1k PvP CW
    CRAZY MIKE - 14.6k PvE CW

Backbone - 16.7k PvP HR
    [SIGPIC]http://i59.tinypic.com/s3hts7.png[/SIGPIC]
  • psychaos999psychaos999 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    adernath wrote: »
    I am totally against any form of target cap for AOE. AOE is meant to affect all targets in the given area....

IMO the only two things which could be toned down is: 1) the proc of EotS 2) the damage of shard explosion (but only slightly!!). Nothing else.

You obviously don't care about other classes, do you?
  • jennysevenjennyseven Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Well I now have one less toon to play.
  • rykkardorykkardo Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    NONONO! CW haven't to be too nerfed! is the first to die in pvp! now i can uninstall, i'll hope a buff for him and now i read a nerf! i can't believe
  • helpimblindinrlhelpimblindinrl Member Posts: 972 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I remember at launch and in beta the game was about distinctive classes making each other more effective. I remember wizards controlling mobs to protect the cleric who in turn protected the wizard, the fragile rogue dealing damage to the boss and the guardian fighter tanking and directing it away from the party. That was such a dumb idea. Thank you for bringing everyone in line. That was a smart move. You took your time but you made it into a game of smash the beetles

Anything with a 90 second internal cooldown is something people who play mmos will be super psyched for especially when its one of 2 max passives they can have on them.

Farewell singularity, you helped the melee classes too much anyway. You were literally worse than the thaum capstone which only helped their damage when you grouped them up. Like you were trying to control and help people.

And shard. It probably hit for too much but now wizards have nothing, literally nothing in pvp. Maybe you should remove cws ability to queue for that?

This is an entirely amusing way of making the content harder though. You added in all these artifacts and boons and changed nothing and found that people crushed the content and got bored so now you have to add a challenge in. I'm super psyched about playing more tedious versions of the dungeons I've done many times before. Bring on the CW nerfs.
  • ggunchggunch Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 30
    edited June 2014
    Well I just hope they release another class, like say the Warlock they promised almost a year ago would be out shortly after launch. Because with these extreme nerfs I will be most likely rolling a new toon but with all the other classes being broken or no fun, without a new class release there really isnt anything left play to make the game enjoyable.
  • mafesiomafesio Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I have have had my cw since the beginning of neverwinter. Still my favorite class, I've always played one in D & D. I love the dungeon and dragons world. It's why I started playing this game. But what you have been slowly drifting away from it. I have always wondered where you guy's decided to make TR's a magical class. Never in D&D history, on any version can rouge disappear right in front of you, or worse be able to attack and STAY in stealth? Where did that come from? Now your making the game even more unnatural. I cap on AOE's? Insane cast times that totally break the feel of the cw, it's like being stuck in slow motion. I am an avid PVE'er, it's my favorite part of the game and I really like the action combat style, but the animations kill the feel of the cw. I farm castle never religiously 2 times a week, I don't have much money and I like to make other characters, but of course they need gear. We tried a castle never run with one of the groups I run with regularly. The cap on the sing and the increase casting time makes it virtually useless in there. Sometimes it took me 4 trys to get it off, but I would still get smacked by all the adds it didn't pick up, there really is no point in using it there, and I would imagine the same would go for MC and VT. Opressive force is now much more effective as far control but it scatter's enemies, which makes the whole run a constant chase for adds. I tried again with opressor spec, which is kinda fun to play I wouln't lie, but you can't kill anything, which poses another problem, the boss fight of CN spawns adds I'm guessing on a certain interval, well control is fine but if the adds don't die they pile up, and when there is more then you can control all you do is run around trying to stay alive which is now extremely difficult, less dps = less lifesteal, fatal in the end game dungeons. I tried various healer pets, they die pretty quickly so there's not much healing going on from them, life steal is useless now for a cw that is oppresor, 10% of nothing is nothing. With the way damage is now, as opressor a shard might only do 5k, even if I had 100% life steal it wouldn't help. The only successful run configuration was a 4 cw's and a dc. I can assure you one thing, end game dungeons are going to be nothing but cw's to make up for the loss of control and dps, there is no other way, and I would love to see a rainbow configuration complete castle never. I would challenge you to make a video of this, as I am sure it is impossible. I have rank 9's and 10's, 2 legendary artifacts, 2.4k defense (I tried going with 3.4k defense, defense items and pots) helped a little. But overall I'm pretty useless by myself. Control? yes the opressor spec gives you that, but it already does now really. But it becomes a war of attrition, can I control the mobs long enough for the party to kill them? Depends, I can't scoop them up and more so I might control part of the mob, while the others are either running around trying to avoid or kill the adds I can't get to because if I let up, I'm dead, without the dps no life steal, now I fell I'm as locked down as the adds I'm trying to control. I would agree with what someone posted earlier, no cap on sing and have it do no damage or decrease the mob count and give more hit points. You current system is definitely flawed, will it kill the cw, no. But you will doom us to go only as packs into dungeons, leaving the other classes to farm low level dungeons that drop mostly bound items. I have every class but a gf, and that is because no one brings them to dungeons. GF's gain some control from aggro on low level dungeons, but such as CN, if they mark all the adds on the boss fight, they are going to die, plus they can't dodge the hands, so they are still useless there, there is a possibility or bringing a hr, but that's a guess, it would still make the boss fight much more difficult but a possibility. I believe many of the PVE players that are not cw's besides healers are going to be very frustrated when they can't find groups for end dungeons or are repeatedly unable to finish the dungeon. Frustration = less players and more Pay to Win players because your snubbed out various group configuration. The decreased damage is a bit much when you relied on that damage to stay alive with life steal, and the typical dungeon, when the cw's dies, everyone dies. As for pvp, I like it, I have day's where I do nothing but pvp, I don't understand on of the changes there, cw's did not need a nerf at all there. Great, I can lock someone down, but I can't kill them, fun, ya, for about 10 mins, locking down one person in a pvp match is not going to help much, so again I'm stuck as long as the other person is and if I let up I"m dead. Not that I was a tr or hr killer before, but now, no point in even trying, and it's not my gear, what do you need to have all 10's? It wouldn't change much, still useless again them, I don't even attack them on the test shard, seems the only thing I can do now if be really annoying, the increased cast times just mean they can dodge every time, I might as well put a message in the zone chat that I'm going to throw chill strike at you. Increased cool downs make it worse, they dodge everything and come after me, no powers, no life steal what are you supposed to do? Maybe these sounded like good idea, and some I agree are good changes, but did you actually test these things out, seems like a lot of wasted time that could be used for my content or bug fixes, little nerfs could have done everything you want. Unless you plan on changing the dungeons mechanics, I'm actually worried you will mess up the game completely, I fear one day the only people left will be the Pay to Play players, who historically only pvp, and the only people that will be in LFG will be dc's and cw's to farm equipment for the Pay to Play players. Not a bright future for neverwinter at the moment.
  • silverquicksilverquick Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The cw's role should not be to do absolute massive amounts of damage. It should be control. If you respec to an oppressor, they've done a fantastic rework that enables that playstyle. This is what cryptic has really wanted all along. A control wizard that can actually control and not just flatten everything with massive burst damage.

How about you try changing your playstyle?

Because that's not a Control Wizard... This is...

http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Control_Wizard

"Control Wizards primarily focus on controlling the battlefield and dealing damage to a large number of creatures simultaneously Because of the wizard's role as a controller, they possess more crowd control options than any other class. Their ability to deal high amounts of damage gives them the secondary role of striker. They wield a magical orb and are capable of unleashing torrents of damage on enemy parties. They can only wear cloth armor."

http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.a.../drfe/20091202

"A controller discourages enemies from making certain choices with his area offense attacks, by which the controller punishes enemies from grouping together or takes a direct hand in influencing actions."

http://dnd4.wikia.com/wiki/Wizard

"Wizard overview

Wizards are scions of arcane magic. Wizards tap the true power that permeates the cosmos, research esoteric rituals that can alter time and space, and hurl balls of fire that incinerate massed foes. Wizards wield spells the way warriors brandish swords. "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charact...%26_Dragons%29

"Controllers focus on affecting multiple targets at once, either damaging or debuffing them, or altering the battlefield's terrain. Some classes, such as Wizards and Invokers, are focused towards ranged combat, while Druids can specialize in ranged or melee combat."
  • deus69xxxdeus69xxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    what pains me is this. everyone suggests all these ways they could have done better on nerf/buff, but everyone, including devs in every game ever misses the first building block for all developments.

if they really wanna balance things they need to do this: add a tag to players and their skills in the code, and add atag to NPC's and their skills in the code. copy/paste the damage algo four times. add to each one the different tag combination. (P = Player, N = NPC) P-N, N-P, P-P, N-N. add in a control portion to the algo that tones it down when P-P occurs. and there you have it, now, instead of going back in and having to change the hard coding of all the skills to balance PvP and PvE, you now go in and change the control number, whether it's on a curved, linear or parabolic scale.

quit with ruining classes for both aspects of a game and add in a control for each aspect that you can start with before wrecking up all your hard coded abilities.

on the other hand, can't wait to try MoF opressor now P: