test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Sentinel GWF Build - PvE Focus (PvP viable) - Leeroy Jenkins!

Comments

• ortzhyortzhy Member Posts: 1,103 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    Because it's an amazing feat for DPS and Aggro generation. :cool:

i am confused :) , if you do have it .. think first page needs an update
  • kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    ortzhy wrote: »
    i am confused :) , if you do have it .. think first page needs an update
    Page 24 is the post Mod 2 Update mi amigo!
    va8Ru.gif
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    kolatmaster, please check your private messages, I sent you a pm with a help request.
    edited January 2014
    uglyduck1 wrote: »
    kolatmaster, please check your private messages, I sent you a pm with a help request.
    Sure, I will take a look later today after NFL football. :)
    va8Ru.gif
  • thevillmeisterthevillmeister Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    hi.. i'm kinda new to the GWF. im a little bit confuse which is the OP tank build. page 24 or page 1?. rofl.
    edited January 2014
    hi.. i'm kinda new to the GWF. im a little bit confuse which is the OP tank build. page 24 or page 1?. rofl.
    OP?

The most recent update is on page 24. :)
    va8Ru.gif
  • dragooordragooor Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Page 24 is the post Mod 2 Update mi amigo!

Thanks for all the info but after reading page 24 to the current of this thread I must ask. If you are still Sent???

I see no new power or feat pages for the pve Sent for instance for the new choices?? Are you still using the old powers and feats??
    edited January 2014
    dragooor wrote: »
    Thanks for all the info but after reading page 24 to the current of this thread I must ask. If you are still Sent???

I see no new power or feat pages for the pve Sent for instance for the new choices?? Are you still using the old powers and feats??
    Of course I am still sent... I switched to Iron Vanguard Paragon Path from the old Swordmaster.

My power(s)/feat(s) selection is screen shot'd also, so you can see that. I also say what Encounter Powers I slot where, etc.
    va8Ru.gif
  • dragooordragooor Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Of course I am still sent... I switched to Iron Vanguard Paragon Path from the old Swordmaster.

My power(s)/feat(s) selection is screen shot'd also, so you can see that. I also say what Encounter Powers I slot where, etc.
    Thanks Kol I found em. Just overlooked them. Did not realize that they were so far apart.
  • vill0228vill0228 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    uhh sorry im new but what aoe skills do you use and aoe skills to keep? i sometimes find that some DPS on my party go ahead of the tank and they get the mobs' aggro on themselves and friggin' die. how do you deal with those stu**d a** teammates?.
    also, why didnt you get the heroic feat that adds constitution?
    lastly, is this build good for "dive ins"?like going to a domination point and smash everyones faces?.how about 1vs1?
    edited January 2014
    dragooor wrote: »
    Thanks Kol I found em. Just overlooked them. Did not realize that they were so far apart.
    No biggie bud! The limit of 4 images kinda limits what I can do with the guide on the first page, as I want to keep the history of the changes in tact. However I'll continue to link the updates to the front page, seems like a good idea and one I should have done a while back... lol

vill0228 wrote: »
    uhh sorry im new but what aoe skills do you use and aoe skills to keep? i sometimes find that some DPS on my party go ahead of the tank and they get the mobs' aggro on themselves and friggin' die. how do you deal with those stu**d a** teammates?.
    also, why didnt you get the heroic feat that adds constitution?
    lastly, is this build good for "dive ins"?like going to a domination point and smash everyones faces?.how about 1vs1?
    With such team mates I simply try to say at the beginning of a dungeon, "Let me Initiate", etc. Doesn't always work, particularly with pugs, but maybe you can rez them and/or stay alive until they run back... Not optimum, and it is frustrating, but you gotta work with what ya got! lol

I didn't add it, in this build, because I don't believe I need it for survival post Mod 2 with the Artifacts and the higher Regen one can have with them. :)

In PvP? This build does fine... It's not optimum (Con focus would be there along with Unstoppable Recovery, etc.), but you can definitely either dive in or 1v1 just about anyone. I like to take my entire team to 2, the rest stay on 2 fighting while I charge any CWs/HRs that are off point. Kill them, then fold back to 2 if it's not taken, and then I move my way on to their point to Cap and annoy the hell out of them. Pretty basic strategy, but I enjoy it... :cool:
    va8Ru.gif
  • vill0228vill0228 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    uhh. for some reasons, i cant keep up the aggro compare to my party which is a GF while im on a PUG. is it normal? but im a better DPS than him though.2nd DPS and 2nd Most Damage taken. anyway, im using charge-> then come and get it+ not so fast for aggro.is it correct?what stats should i go for on my "leveling adventures"? currently i got power > def > other stats.I'm human, i spent my 3 extra heroic points into con.
    edited January 2014
    vill0228 wrote: »
    uhh. for some reasons, i cant keep up the aggro compare to my party which is a GF while im on a PUG. is it normal? but im a better DPS than him though.2nd DPS and 2nd Most Damage taken. anyway, im using charge-> then come and get it+ not so fast for aggro.is it correct?what stats should i go for on my "leveling adventures"? currently i got power > def > other stats.I'm human, i spent my 3 extra heroic points into con.
    GFs will out Threat/Aggro you, they have more Mark/Threat generation abilities then you...

You can possibly out threat/aggro a lesser geared GFs, but all things being equal they will just beat you that way. In that case change to all damaging abilities and go to town. :)

Leveling Adventures? If you're going from 1-60 I always recommend Regen/Lifesteal as it keeps you alive. After that, whatever you want really...
    va8Ru.gif
  • gvstonedgvstoned Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I have a few questions for OP.
    I'm leveling my own GWF now with a friend (after seeing how incredibly powerful they are in PVP) and we are using your guide (no other PVP guides out there).
    I feel confident about the feats & most powers, but here's a few things I'm not sure about and would love an explanation.

1.) Is Indomitable Strength better than Savage Advance as a daily? I haven't put points in Savage Advance yet so I cannot try them both. What exactly is the difference between these two? Because you use Indomitable Strength but I've seen other people with Savage Advance.

2.) Do you ever use Indomitable Battle Strike? I understand IV Sentinel is a crazy tank in PVP so you're not using IBS to just focus all on staying alive rather than killing people?

3.) I heard max HP and regen are our two most important stats (staying alive obviously), is this true? What other stats should I focus on to be like those other GWF beasts I see in PVP that are impossble to kill?
    ^Same question for enchants, offense slot go for Power to get moreo out of Deep Gash? Or should I go for crit/arp/recovery?
    defense slot go for max HP? Or deflection? I'm really clueless here.

Any advice would be appreciated, remember this is just for PVP.
    edited January 2014
    gvstoned wrote: »
    I have a few questions for OP.
    I'm leveling my own GWF now with a friend (after seeing how incredibly powerful they are in PVP) and we are using your guide (no other PVP guides out there).
    I feel confident about the feats & most powers, but here's a few things I'm not sure about and would love an explanation.
    Sure thing mi amigo...
    1.) Is Indomitable Strength better than Savage Advance as a daily? I haven't put points in Savage Advance yet so I cannot try them both. What exactly is the difference between these two? Because you use Indomitable Strength but I've seen other people with Savage Advance.
    I believe Indomitable Strength is yes, though I will admit I have not tested it extensively against Savage Advance... From my experience Savage Advance is not as useful as you'll be using Slam again most groups of adds, and Indomitable Strength on solo encounters.
    2.) Do you ever use Indomitable Battle Strike? I understand IV Sentinel is a crazy tank in PVP so you're not using IBS to just focus all on staying alive rather than killing people?
    Yes, my main Encounter rotation is: Come and Get It, Not So Fast, and Indomitable Battle Strike.
    3.) I heard max HP and regen are our two most important stats (staying alive obviously), is this true? What other stats should I focus on to be like those other GWF beasts I see in PVP that are impossble to kill?
    I feel, for a pure PvP focus that is correct. However if you're using this built I feel you're fine in PvE around 30k HP and in PvP around 33k HP.
    ^Same question for enchants, offense slot go for Power to get moreo out of Deep Gash? Or should I go for crit/arp/recovery?
    defense slot go for max HP? Or deflection? I'm really clueless here.
    ArmPen until you reach the 24% level, and then Power IMO.
    Any advice would be appreciated, remember this is just for PVP.
    Yea, I offered by advice above with both PvP/PvE in mind, hope it helped! :cool:
    va8Ru.gif
  • litepulsarlitepulsar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I've had issues with PUGs as well on my GWF, is it standard practice for classes in this game to start dps'ing and not wait for the tank to get aggro? And if one more person uses knockbock I'm gonna RAAAAAAGE LOL. The answer is need to find a good guild to run dungeons with!

Leeroy, tyvm for this build, I'm having so much fun with it :D
    edited January 2014
    Thanks for the reply kolatmaster.
    One more question, do you ever die in PVP? My gear isn't nearly as good as yours and I already find that the enemy team has a very hard time killing me. Must be fun with your gear lol
  • thevillmeisterthevillmeister Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    ive got a hard time doing pve compared to pvp. specially when aggroing the range mobs.i use charge. then wicked strike-> come and get me ->wicked strike -> not so fast -> wicked. the mobs are just aggroing on my healer / HRs. is it that hard to be a tank GWF? in pvp im doing quite well no problems at all, stun locking everyone and if hes a "runner" i just spam him with charge and get killed by deep gash or front line surge if its on cooldown since it kinda have a better range.
  • ortzhyortzhy Member Posts: 1,103 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    ive got a hard time doing pve compared to pvp. specially when aggroing the range mobs.i use charge. then wicked strike-> come and get me ->wicked strike -> not so fast -> wicked. the mobs are just aggroing on my healer / HRs. is it that hard to be a tank GWF? in pvp im doing quite well no problems at all, stun locking everyone and if hes a "runner" i just spam him with charge and get killed by deep gash or front line surge if its on cooldown since it kinda have a better range.

small tip: use threatening rush everytime u plan to use the encounter. Afraid that punishing charge is no longer as good as it used to be, you may want to change that into frontline surge and do your encounters as much as you can during your unstoppable. Also you may want to put your AoW gear for extra dmg and bump up lifesteal as much as you can for generating more agro.

The original reason for punishing was cause at some point before module 1 coupled with ap gain from roar it could enable you to spam your slam every 7-8 seconds, 5 of which you were invulnerable and the other 2-3 in unstoppable.
  • effindozaeffindoza Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Hello, kolat. Been using your guide for a while, and must say that I'm enjoying the damage I see come out of it (I played Sent before I left, back before Mod 1, so I already enjoyed the style :P).

Just wondering, though, if you think terror enchants are viable outside of pvp -- obviously the necrotic damage and defense reduction are powerful there, but does it build aggro on par or comparable to a lightning enchant?

I'm open to anything on my weapon except for a vorpal. I know it's the most popular out there, but....increased crit severity is just so boring.
    edited January 2014
    ive got problems with those d*mn HRs rooting me since unstoppable cant bypass those roots.is it bugged or something?.. what do you do if you got spammed by those roots?.
    edited January 2014
    ive got problems with those d*mn HRs rooting me since unstoppable cant bypass those roots.is it bugged or something?.. what do you do if you got spammed by those roots?.
    Yeah you're pretty much f*cked when that happens.
    I unstoppable & sprint when I'm almost dead but if there's a HR rooting you there is no escape. Sometimes you'll outlive the root and still escape, but 2 HR's is guaranteed death.
    I really hate this, I thought Unstoppable was supposed to make you immune for that <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>?
    edited January 2014
    that my friend i what im wondering. we should be immune to that stuff since they can kite us already.imma switch to perma stealth rogue if they wont get rid of that sh*t
  • elmotubbieselmotubbies Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Hi thanks for the guide, as a few questions. Does multiple Mark stack? Like if another GWF or GF has already marked the target does it stack with my own mark? And also which is better for single target damage. Wicked or Threatening?
  • hidahayabusahidahayabusa Member Posts: 634 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    effindoza wrote: »
    I'm open to anything on my weapon except for a vorpal. I know it's the most popular out there, but....increased crit severity is just so boring.

Try Terror. It's amazing in PvP and PvE.
    * Notorious Dwarven Bear Cavalry Leader *
  • kotheiirkotheiir Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited January 2014

My Strength and Con w/o Campfire is 24/23 respectively, so yes I maxed those out from my original rolls!

is it better to up STR/CON or CON /DEX?
    is 22 Con /20 Dex /18 str good stats? (for lvl 60)
  • fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Hi thanks for the guide, as a few questions. Does multiple Mark stack? Like if another GWF or GF has already marked the target does it stack with my own mark? And also which is better for single target damage. Wicked or Threatening?

No, Marks from different players do not stack in damage, regardless of class (tested), you just get separate buff icons.

Threatening Rush is much better single target damage, just look at the difference in damage range on tooltips - it closely matches the output. TR also applies Mark which is at least an 8% damage increasing debuff, more with Potent Challenge. In addition, TR is very good gap closer from those pesky boss pushbacks (even through Unstoppable sometimes) or at the end of a Sprint to conserve Stamina.
    edited January 2014
    litepulsar wrote: »
    I've had issues with PUGs as well on my GWF, is it standard practice for classes in this game to start dps'ing and not wait for the tank to get aggro? And if one more person uses knockbock I'm gonna RAAAAAAGE LOL. The answer is need to find a good guild to run dungeons with!

Leeroy, tyvm for this build, I'm having so much fun with it
    It can be standard practice yes... Mildly annoying at best, it's a necessary evil that you will have to combat by asking your party not to be silly.

You're welcome my friend, happy to be of service!

Thanks for the reply kolatmaster.
    One more question, do you ever die in PVP? My gear isn't nearly as good as yours and I already find that the enemy team has a very hard time killing me. Must be fun with your gear lol
    Yea, Sentinel's can die... Very rarely to 1v1, and ever more rarely 'quickly'. However if you get focused fired by competent players, then you can get steadily melted.

Though it is fun! :)

You need to lead off with Threatening Rush... Exactly as ortzhy stated!

effindoza wrote: »
    Hello, kolat. Been using your guide for a while, and must say that I'm enjoying the damage I see come out of it (I played Sent before I left, back before Mod 1, so I already enjoyed the style :P).

Just wondering, though, if you think terror enchants are viable outside of pvp -- obviously the necrotic damage and defense reduction are powerful there, but does it build aggro on par or comparable to a lightning enchant?

I think Terror is perfectly viable in PvP, particularly if your crit % is low as it will give you a flat damage bonus. I say rock it if ya want to bud! :)

It is bugged, and the devs are aware. Expect a change eventually... And what do you? Don't waste your sprint, save it for when the roots drop their cc and keep trying to spam Threatening Rush in whatever direction the HR is.

Fondlez answered this correctly, and you're welcome. :)

kotheiir wrote: »
    is it better to up STR/CON or CON /DEX?
    is 22 Con /20 Dex /18 str good stats? (for lvl 60)
    Strength/Con for Sentinel IMO. Dex/Con can also work if you are rocking the Vorpal enchantment.

Try Terror. It's amazing in PvP and PvE.
    <meme removed per RoC>
    va8Ru.gif
  • copycat818copycat818 Member Posts: 62
    edited January 2014
    Sorry guys some newbie question over here..I'm kinda new to this game..1)which race would be better for PvP (because I'm mainly PvP) I heart a lot saying hafling Better and as steamroller said hands down haffling would be the best choice? 2)and steamroller guide also stated that as a sentregen build con/dex is a much better choice,but it seem to me that y'all are saying con/str is better? So how was it 3)OK I saw a sentregen PvP video from markmapa (krewcify) I think y'all should know him well because it seem that he is the first person who came out with this build ! And in The video he can tank like 4 v1..and that is amazing? Heard someone said he was using a lot of greater tenebrous ? What is it and is it really that good..oh sorry forgot to mention that I think he was using perfect life drinker on his weapon enchantment slot..
    edited January 2014
    copycat818 wrote: »
    Sorry guys some newbie question over here..I'm kinda new to this game..1)which race would be better for PvP (because I'm mainly PvP) I heart a lot saying hafling Better and as steamroller said hands down haffling would be the best choice?
    I say Halfling or Dwarf. Halfing has the deflection increase which is superb, and Dwarf has access to Str/Con if you choose to go that route. It's racial ability of 20% increase chance against Repel/Knockback effects has also been useful, particularly against CWs.
    2)and steamroller guide also stated that as a sentregen build con/dex is a much better choice,but it seem to me that y'all are saying con/str is better? So how was it
    Str/Con is better for PvE Sents, and Str/Dex is better for PvE Destro/Instigators. If you're goin pure PvP Sentinel though, then I'd recommend Con/Dex.
    3)OK I saw a sentregen PvP video from markmapa (krewcify) I think y'all should know him well because it seem that he is the first person who came out with this build ! And in The video he can tank like 4 v1..and that is amazing? Heard someone said he was using a lot of greater tenebrous ? What is it and is it really that good..oh sorry forgot to mention that I think he was using perfect life drinker on his weapon enchantment slot..
    Honestly don't know who he is, so... *shrugs*

Greater Tenebrous, while now decent, are no where near as good as they were. They are no affected by Damage Resistance/Mitigation. Perfect Lifedrinker is also meh for PvP IMO, and your better off just slotting Lifesteal in defensive slots if you want that... For PvP (currently) you want Perfect Vorpal.

Hope that helps! :cool:
    va8Ru.gif