test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Sentinel GWF Build - PvE Focus (PvP viable) - Leeroy Jenkins!

Comments

• Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    wrecsworld wrote: »
    What do you think of Honey Badger as a companion? Esp becuz it is on sale.

I cannot see your HPs dropping low enough often enough with this build for it to be anything other than a waste.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    boody2010boody2010 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 4
    edited February 2014
    Could you please tell me why did you go for master of arms instead of intimidation in the feats? Is the 2% deflect chance and 5 ac better than the threat+dmg from intimidation? Imo based on what it says intimidation should be better since come and get it is a key factor in the build. I could be wrong of course, but I don't want to mess up the build because I already reseted once.

Thanks for answering my previous question btw:D
  • Options
    kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    boody2010 wrote: »
    Could you please tell me why did you go for master of arms instead of intimidation in the feats? Is the 2% deflect chance and 5 ac better than the threat+dmg from intimidation? Imo based on what it says intimidation should be better since come and get it is a key factor in the build. I could be wrong of course, but I don't want to mess up the build because I already reseted once.
    In short, yes Master of Arms is better then Intimidation. Intimidation helps Come and Get It, not denying that, but the extra 5 AC and 2% Deflect chance increase is worth so much more (particularly translated into Gear Score, as increasing your Deflect and Defense at end game level would is harder once you reach the soft caps)... Hope that helps!
    Thanks for answering my previous question btw:D
    ...and no problem whatsoever! :cool:
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    fatalalgorithmfatalalgorithm Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Well finally hit 60. Bought some crappy lvl 60 epics(defense/deflect) that got me to around 7800 GS and I was going toe-to-toe with people around 12k or so gs. Had some amazingly fun fights with a specific 12k gs GF. Didn't win very often but popped his ferocious reaction every time and then some. Love the build.
    I'm wondering though Kolat, would a equally geared conqueror GF(with similar stat armor) be able to burst as well as this build?
  • Options
    boody2010boody2010 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 4
    edited February 2014
    Thanks for yet another speedy response!:D

My next question is about the stats in pve, so attack wise it's power->crit->recovery->ap right? And defence wise it's defence->deflect then lifesteal/regeneration are about the same. Are all my assumptions so far correct or am I missing something?
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Well finally hit 60. Bought some crappy lvl 60 epics(defense/deflect) that got me to around 7800 GS and I was going toe-to-toe with people around 12k or so gs. Had some amazingly fun fights with a specific 12k gs GF. Didn't win very often but popped his ferocious reaction every time and then some. Love the build.
    Congrats on 60, and you're welcome!
    I'm wondering though Kolat, would a equally geared conqueror GF(with similar stat armor) be able to burst as well as this build?
    Conqueror GF should destroy this build in DPS... I mean, that's an offensive spec whereas this is much more defensive. :)

Thanks for yet another speedy response!:D
    No problem!
    My next question is about the stats in pve, so attack wise it's power->crit->recovery->ap right? And defence wise it's defence->deflect then lifesteal/regeneration are about the same. Are all my assumptions so far correct or am I missing something?
    In PvE you must get ArmPen to 24% with ArmPen stats and your Con score combining.

After that is reached (and always maintained), I'd get Crit to the soft cap of 3,000-3,500ish, and then you just ramp Power. Recovery, at this point, is mostly a dump stat as Avatar of War armor gives you 1,350 Recovery and you can/do keep it up 95% of the time in combat.

Defensively, I'd throw in Defense as with Steely Defense it adds to your power (in your defensive Armor and Pants slot). Deflect next until soft cap of 1800ish (I think that's it!), and then Lifesteal/Regen whichever you prefer. If you go with the Consumption Boon from the Dread Ring, definitely ramp Lifesteal...

Hope that helps! :)
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    fatalalgorithmfatalalgorithm Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Congrats on 60, and you're welcome!

Conqueror GF should destroy this build in DPS... I mean, that's an offensive spec whereas this is much more defensive. :)

Even if the Conqueror is using defensive stat armor like defense/deflect/regeneration?
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Even if the Conqueror is using defensive stat armor like defense/deflect/regeneration?
    Well if they are a Conqueror they should be tweaking out their damage to the max... That's the point of being a Conqueror! lol

However their gear has a lot of defense/deflect/etc., because that is what GF sets have for the most part. So, just saying, if a Conqueror isn't maxing out their damage then something isn't right!
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    phookyu21phookyu21 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Hey Kolat.... I have a question about the new artifact that just came out. Would you swap it for any of the ones you have currently equipped (Waters, Lantern, and Skull)?
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    phookyu21 wrote: »
    Hey Kolat.... I have a question about the new artifact that just came out. Would you swap it for any of the ones you have currently equipped (Waters, Lantern, and Skull)?
    Replied in the PM!
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    borborygmos756borborygmos756 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Hey kolat, I have some more questions regarding the build as I've been enjoying it a lot lately and I'm starting to enter tier 2 dungeons.

Firstly, I have bronzewood on my sword and briartwine on my armor. I noticed you've said in the thread that briartwine and terror work well as a combo because of the DPS output, but would bronzewood also work with briartwine in PvE? I've definitely noticed the benefits of bronzewood in PvP thus far against other GWFs and GFs.

The other question I wanted to ask was:

Since I'm starting in tier 2 dungeons now like epic PK and FH, a lot of people (mostly in PUGs but that's fine) want me to do speed runs where I am single target focused and not AOE focused. So far I know that you use IBS, Restoring Strike, and Frontline Surge with Sure Strike and Threatening Rush as your power rotation. Do you also use Slam and Indomitable Strength as your dailies and Trample the Fallen and Weapon Master as your passives as you would your normal AOE power rotation?

I'm having trouble getting into the single target mindset as I'm going through these dungeons as I don't know what my real purpose is, especially when I see adds running around hitting my party members. Do I target the biggest mobs while the rest, like the CWs, handle the smaller ones? I'd imagine there's a lot of dodging involved during boss fights as doing that has been known to work in many dungeons I've been in. By that I mean, everyone dodges/kites adds while I focus DPS and tank boss.

I haven't used your single target power rotation yet and will be starting eventually. I'm also curious how Frontline Surge is used when single targeting/tanking bosses. Is it for when adds get out of control and you're forced to stop attacking the boss and use knockback against them?

Any advice on the single target playstyle would be appreciated, thank you.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Hey kolat, I have some more questions regarding the build as I've been enjoying it a lot lately and I'm starting to enter tier 2 dungeons.

Firstly, I have bronzewood on my sword and briartwine on my armor. I noticed you've said in the thread that briartwine and terror work well as a combo because of the DPS output, but would bronzewood also work with briartwine in PvE? I've definitely noticed the benefits of bronzewood in PvP thus far against other GWFs and GFs.
    Bronzewood is fine, particularly if you combine it's Arm Resistance with your Con score and appropriately stack your own ArmPen stat accordingly. Basically lowering it if you use Bronzewood and raising if your not, both to get to the 24% sweet spot.
    The other question I wanted to ask was:

Since I'm starting in tier 2 dungeons now like epic PK and FH, a lot of people (mostly in PUGs but that's fine) want me to do speed runs where I am single target focused and not AOE focused. So far I know that you use IBS, Restoring Strike, and Frontline Surge with Sure Strike and Threatening Rush as your power rotation. Do you also use Slam and Indomitable Strength as your dailies and Trample the Fallen and Weapon Master as your passives as you would your normal AOE power rotation?
    That is what I would go with given the situation you described for single target. Well said! :)
    I'm having trouble getting into the single target mindset as I'm going through these dungeons as I don't know what my real purpose is, especially when I see adds running around hitting my party members. Do I target the biggest mobs while the rest, like the CWs, handle the smaller ones? I'd imagine there's a lot of dodging involved during boss fights as doing that has been known to work in many dungeons I've been in. By that I mean, everyone dodges/kites adds while I focus DPS and tank boss.
    Well let me make a small amendment to my above statement... You should be able to single target DPS bosses to hold aggro. When running through a Dungeon I would slot out Restoring Strike for Not So Fast or Mighty Leap for more AOE control and Sure Strike for Wicked Strike as an Iron Vanguard. Then switch to what you mentioned above at a boss, sound good?
    I haven't used your single target power rotation yet and will be starting eventually. I'm also curious how Frontline Surge is used when single targeting/tanking bosses. Is it for when adds get out of control and you're forced to stop attacking the boss and use knockback against them?
    You use Frontline Surge as often as possible on the boss, if adds also happen to be in the way so much the better... More CC and DPS! lol

It takes practice bud, though from what you're saying/typing your understanding what to do and making the necessary adjustments on your own thus far, so well done!
    Any advice on the single target playstyle would be appreciated, thank you.
    Hope the above helps mi amigo... :cool:
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    borborygmos756borborygmos756 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    So, the default PVE power rotation using Come and Get It, Not So Fast, and IBS is generally used for solo grinding in zones from what I gather...

And, since most groups generally tell me to engage in 1 of 2 roles: either solo DPS or AOE on adds...would you say that if I'm told to go on add duty only and not focus on the boss I should also use the default PVE rotation mentioned above?

In dungeons like tier 2 ones, what's the most appropriate use of the default PVE rotation mentioned above? I've been on add duty throughout tier 1 and even falzoun crypts for a long time so I don't know if tasking a sentinel IV GWF with sole responsibility of handling adds during bosses is appropriate in Tier 2 without having him throw some DPS on the boss during the fight.
    Hope the above helps mi amigo... :cool:

It's helped me immensely so far, sir. With every transition going from normal dungeons to tier 1 and then tier 1 to tier 2, I've hit some snags and I greatly appreciate you helping me to understand the mechanics of the build.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    So, the default PVE power rotation using Come and Get It, Not So Fast, and IBS is generally used for solo grinding in zones from what I gather...
    It's one of the variants yes, you can also do Not So Fast, Indomitable Battle Strike and Frontline Surge for dungeon runs. Many variants are viable...
    And, since most groups generally tell me to engage in 1 of 2 roles: either solo DPS or AOE on adds...would you say that if I'm told to go on add duty only and not focus on the boss I should also use the default PVE rotation mentioned above?
    The default one above is good for add gathering, and control, keeps them around you. :)
    In dungeons like tier 2 ones, what's the most appropriate use of the default PVE rotation mentioned above? I've been on add duty throughout tier 1 and even falzoun crypts for a long time so I don't know if tasking a sentinel IV GWF with sole responsibility of handling adds during bosses is appropriate in Tier 2 without having him throw some DPS on the boss during the fight.
    Tier 2 it sometimes depends on team composition, which dungeon, etc. Though all the rotations can work, I highly recommend testing them all out and seeing how they work for you. Gives you a feel how the class works overall, and keeps you trying new things!
    It's helped me immensely so far, sir. With every transition going from normal dungeons to tier 1 and then tier 1 to tier 2, I've hit some snags and I greatly appreciate you helping me to understand the mechanics of the build.
    Good deal man, trial and error are great teachers. Just keep on soldiering on... :cool:
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    kielblockkielblock Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Firstly kolatmaster, thanks for a great build, I have a lvl60 character of each, but my GWF has become my favorite :-) (In a way it's doing the job I wanted my GF to do). I'm still farming gear, so is running with your PVP armor setup in PVE, still need to get lucky with drops for Avatar of War & Weapons :-(

The 2 things I was wondering about:
    1: would/should I get a Dread Warrior to help me build better Threat? or is the %'s not worth it.
    2: Is the Stone of Radiance a option or better to just stick with the Stone of Allure (worried about not having the +7% stats from defensive slot)

Thanks Again for the effort you put into this build & sharing it with all.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    kielblock wrote: »
    Firstly kolatmaster, thanks for a great build, I have a lvl60 character of each, but my GWF has become my favorite :-) (In a way it's doing the job I wanted my GF to do).
    Happy to be of service mi amigo... :cool:
    I'm still farming gear, so is running with your PVP armor setup in PVE, still need to get lucky with drops for Avatar of War & Weapons :-(
    It takes some time bud, keep plugging away at those T2 dungeons it will eventually fall for you!
    The 2 things I was wondering about:
    1: would/should I get a Dread Warrior to help me build better Threat? or is the %'s not worth it.
    2: Is the Stone of Radiance a option or better to just stick with the Stone of Allure (worried about not having the +7% stats from defensive slot)
    1. I believe the Dread Warrior is a decent companion, and it of course helps build/keep threat on you. I would say in a perfectly optimized build, where DPS/Survivbility is the most important I wouldn't have him in my main rotation of Companions... But for those who need the extra threat (by this I mean those people who aren't able to stack Power with Rank 8/9/10 Radiant's in your Offense slots), I feel he is perfectly fine. I have one, and sometimes when running through dungeons I'll use him or in the end of Frozen Heart the boss there. The Dread Warrior is a bit more situational then most companions, but I enjoy it... Plus the skin looks amazing! :D

2. Either/Or is fine honestly... They both give great stats, the Radiance has Regen which is superb for living longer, and the Allure gives you a bit more Power. As long as you have one or the other you're doing it right, so see which stats are more important to you overall and rock that one!
    Thanks Again for the effort you put into this build & sharing it with all.
    You're welcome, it's my pleasure!
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    kielblockkielblock Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Thanks for the quick reply,
    I currently run with a Stone of Allure (blue), but was just liking the look of the Radiant one :-)
    Also the benefit that it is account wide might just let me get one and I can switch between them if needed.

(My survivablity with this build is just unreal, I have run Frozen Heart/Pirate King with no DC with no problem)
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Thanks for the quick reply,
    I currently run with a Stone of Allure (blue), but was just liking the look of the Radiant one :-)
    Also the benefit that it is account wide might just let me get one and I can switch between them if needed.
    The full account access is really nice for the Stone of Radiance, might convince me to make a 5th GWF, no idea what race though... Probably Halfling cause I haven't done that yet. :cool:
    (My survivablity with this build is just unreal, I have run Frozen Heart/Pirate King with no DC with no problem)
    It sure does have the ability to live 'forever' with judicious use of Sprint and choosing which red circles to stand in, etc.
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    ingg12ingg12 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 12
    edited February 2014
    What are your thoughts on Lightning for weapon enchant? With the AOE damage you are doing, does it make sense?
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    ingg12 wrote: »
    What are your thoughts on Lightning for weapon enchant? With the AOE damage you are doing, does it make sense?
    Lighting is perfectly acceptable, and is a superb aggro magnet/initiator... Just be careful in Dungeons like Spellplague as you can grab mobs/adds that your party may not want to fight all at once. ;)
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    stormshadow73stormshadow73 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Hi Leeroy:

First off...long live Leeroy Jenkins! My WoW days are over but I will never forget Leeroy Jenkins.

Now, thanks so much for this guide! My GWF is lvl 34 and I have been following the info here and it has made my toon feel near invincible.

In terms of gear while leveling, what stat priorities (power, crit, life steal, etc) would you recommend?

Also, I just received my free Ioun Stone of Radiance for buying $10 worth of Zen from perfect world. Is that stone ok? And I also have the free cleric companion and a Thayan Illusionist companion. Is it worth buying the Guardian pack for the Viscious Dire Wolf?

Thanks again.

-Sven Bjorgsen
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Hi Leeroy:

First off...long live Leeroy Jenkins! My WoW days are over but I will never forget Leeroy Jenkins.
    Hilarious and timeless!
    Now, thanks so much for this guide! My GWF is lvl 34 and I have been following the info here and it has made my toon feel near invincible.
    Happy that it's useful for you my friend, keep rocking!
    In terms of gear while leveling, what stat priorities (power, crit, life steal, etc) would you recommend?
    I'd say Regen/Lifesteal and after that Power.
    Also, I just received my free Ioun Stone of Radiance for buying $10 worth of Zen from perfect world. Is that stone ok? And I also have the free cleric companion and a Thayan Illusionist companion. Is it worth buying the Guardian pack for the Viscious Dire Wolf?
    I think it is a great Ioun Stone, would even consider leveling it up possible depending on it's active bonus (haven't looked at that yet honestly...
    Thanks again.

-Sven Bjorgsen
    You're welcome Sven, happy gaming! :cool:
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I think it is a great Ioun Stone, would even consider leveling it up possible depending on it's active bonus (haven't looked at that yet honestly...

It's a stat stick, so it doesn't give any interesting effects, but the stats is gives are life steal and deflection.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    stormshadow73stormshadow73 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Thanks for the advice.

For the Ioun Stone of Radiance, at rank 8 it gives an active bonus of +55 life steal and +55 deflect.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    It's a stat stick, so it doesn't give any interesting effects, but the stats is gives are life steal and deflection.
    Nice! Definitely a good thing to run in PvE!

Thanks for the advice.
    You're welcome bud! :cool:
    For the Ioun Stone of Radiance, at rank 8 it gives an active bonus of +55 life steal and +55 deflect.
    Yea, I'd test that out versus the Slow Effect from the Ioun Stone of Allure that I had heard/read may be bugged... If it is the Radiance easily surpasses it in utility.
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    silgalian1silgalian1 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Hi there,

1st off I would like to say thanks for putting together this great guide.
    I started playing with CW (nod to Grimah's great CW guide here) and recently have been playing my GWF's (both sent and destro) much more due to your excellent guide.

Up to now I have been doing mainly solo content, skirmishes and pvp (GG) and have been making great ground using your power and feat choices. Coming top in nearly every skirmish on the damage and kill charts and owning in GG.

Where I need advice is on gearing. Up to now I have been running on what gear I could cobble together with minimal AD expenditure. 4 piece Heroic Duelist's for pvp and I swap out 2 pieces of bladestorm for pve n solo for the extra recovery. Most of my other gear is Power Crit Recovery. This leaves me with 5.5k power, 3.2k crit, 1.3k AP (which with my 19 con gives me the 24% needed for bosses), 2.4k recovery, 2k defense n 1k lifesteal ...but only a couple of hundred in regen n deflect. These stats are with my Stone.

My damage output is great I often do 1mil more damage than the next on the list in lv60 skirmishs...but will the lack of regen and deflect be a big problem in dungeons? if so where would you recommend I steal it from crit? power?

Once again Thanks for making my GWF's so enjoyable to play.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    silgalian1 wrote: »
    Hi there,

1st off I would like to say thanks for putting together this great guide.
    No problem bud, my pleasure!
    I started playing with CW (nod to Grimah's great CW guide here) and recently have been playing my GWF's (both sent and destro) much more due to your excellent guide.
    My very first character was a CW, then at level 18 I saw a GWF in PvP and didn't look back... :)
    Up to now I have been doing mainly solo content, skirmishes and pvp (GG) and have been making great ground using your power and feat choices. Coming top in nearly every skirmish on the damage and kill charts and owning in GG.
    Glad to see you rocking well bud! *high five* :D
    Where I need advice is on gearing. Up to now I have been running on what gear I could cobble together with minimal AD expenditure. 4 piece Heroic Duelist's for pvp and I swap out 2 pieces of bladestorm for pve n solo for the extra recovery. Most of my other gear is Power Crit Recovery. This leaves me with 5.5k power, 3.2k crit, 1.3k AP (which with my 19 con gives me the 24% needed for bosses), 2.4k recovery, 2k defense n 1k lifesteal ...but only a couple of hundred in regen n deflect. These stats are with my Stone.
    Well for PvE, Lifesteal is better... Regen is more for PvP. Though I think your split is really good! I'd advise working towards Avatar of War, yes even as a Sentinel it's the best set. Honestly!
    My damage output is great I often do 1mil more damage than the next on the list in lv60 skirmishs...but will the lack of regen and deflect be a big problem in dungeons? if so where would you recommend I steal it from crit? power?
    I don't think the lack will be huge, and it can always be made up with Artifacts, depending on the selection you have available of course... lol
    Once again Thanks for making my GWF's so enjoyable to play.
    You are most welcome, keep on rocking! :cool:
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    arcanemythosarcanemythos Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I am new to the game. I really like the idea of being meaty while still pumping out the dps. Right now I am leaning towards this build. A few questions:
    1) How much dps am I losing if I take this route vs a destroyer build for an equal GS?
    2) And for that matter, how better am I as a tank with a destroyer of an equal GS?
    3) How "glass" is the glass cannon of a destroyer DPS focus build? I have been playing a CW so far and love burning the groups of mobs down solo, non-boss. But at lvl 40, doing Grey Wolf Den, I was the first to die in all 4 tries (lowest level by 3 didn't help). The adds tended to do me in. Didn't get a rez and it was very frustrating. Hence me wanting to try a GWF.
    4) And lastly, it sounds like PVE groups want a GWF for gathering up crowds of mobs for the CW team to burn down, then help out with the burn. Am I going to not get groups in PVE because I want some tank focus?
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I am new to the game. I really like the idea of being meaty while still pumping out the dps. Right now I am leaning towards this build. A few questions:/QUOTE]
    Welcome to the game!
    1) How much dps am I losing if I take this route vs a destroyer build for an equal GS?
    Enough where Sentinel is not considered a DPS spec... You will not be #1, or even 2 really, on the damage meeter all things being equal with your party composition.
    2) And for that matter, how better am I as a tank with a destroyer of an equal GS?
    You are much better as a tank... Unfortunately I don't numbers to show you, but try either one and you'll see the difference easily.
    3) How "glass" is the glass cannon of a destroyer DPS focus build? I have been playing a CW so far and love burning the groups of mobs down solo, non-boss. But at lvl 40, doing Grey Wolf Den, I was the first to die in all 4 tries (lowest level by 3 didn't help). The adds tended to do me in. Didn't get a rez and it was very frustrating. Hence me wanting to try a GWF.
    You can make Destro's that have more hit points then most etc. Mine, I went pure DPS, and only have 14 Con at level 60, and only about 20-21k HPs. Very glass cannon there...
    4) And lastly, it sounds like PVE groups want a GWF for gathering up crowds of mobs for the CW team to burn down, then help out with the burn. Am I going to not get groups in PVE because I want some tank focus?
    That depends on the people you group with, I highly recommend finding a Guild of people you like and rocking with them.

Hope that helps! :cool:
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    mangonel01mangonel01 Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Just wanted to say I liked this spec, due to gearing I switched back to a destroyer spec (did not have AoW gear) but I plan on switching back to something like this for module 3. Have you had a chance to look at your Sentinel and Destroyer specs on the test server with the changes to destroyer? I'm curious if the dps loss going to Sentinel is not so bad now compared to the destroyer spec.

Thanks again for a fun and great build!