What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Include Ability Score Rolling When Using Respec Tokens

Comments

• Options
    swarfega27swarfega27 Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    While your post is reasonably logical, you, like many others have not addressed: Why it is ok/reasonable/allowable to you, for current respecs to include ability scores lvl 10-60 but not lvl 0? They are all called ability scores. Why are some ok to respec and some not?

No one completed any arduous treks or adventures in game to alter thier appearance/gender to buy a token to do this in a near instant.

Does this mean it would be ok to implement a new token to allow the requested changes as long as there was some flavour text indicating "You have come to the end of your lengthly and taxing journey to discover the mythical Icon of Alteration."?
  • Options
    josiahiyonjosiahiyon Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 396 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Changes of race/gender/ability due to magical items does happen. The issue is they currently do not exist in the game, and they are extremely rare items that usually are only found after a long and arduous trek. I actually wouldn't mind, as I stated previously, if there were magical items that boosted ability scores.

Skills are easy to change within the context of the game and the lore. Race and ability not so much. These are things that define your character, not skills or gear. Again I'm not saying it should be impossible, just very very difficult to do, and it should be within the context of the game not by just popping down to the corner Zen store and changing them on a whim, like underwear, or because it happens to be the FotMoment.

What if the cost were so expensive that it would require many hours of farming? The most expensive item on the zen store, and maybe only purchase-able after some challenging pve-task is accomplished.
    Pvpbysynergy.png
    Iyon the Dark
  • Options
    ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    swarfega27 wrote: »
    Does this mean it would be ok to implement a new token to allow the requested changes as long as there was some flavour text indicating "You have come to the end of your lengthly and taxing journey to discover the mythical Icon of Alteration."?
    josiahiyon wrote: »
    What if the cost were so expensive that it would require many hours of farming? The most expensive item on the zen store, and maybe only purchase-able after some challenging pve-task is accomplished.

Skills and abilities are two separate things. To change your skills is fairly easy, just retrain at your local guild, temple, college, etc. Also for minor ability score changes there is the precedent of your character's ability scores to change by a couple of points as it ages, or magic items that grant you a point or two, but the base line does change without powerful magiks.

I am not talking about just some text or for it to purchasable at all. The ability to change your race/base ability scores should be the reward for having completed an extremely difficult legendary adventure, a once in a characters life sort of thing, one that bards will sing about for the ages. Yes, I am saying the player should have to "work" for it, not be able to buy it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bowdidlybowdidly Member Posts: 261 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    The ability to change your race/base ability scores should be the reward for having completed an extremely difficult legendary adventure, a once in a characters life sort of thing, one that bards will sing about for the ages. Yes, I am saying the player should have to "work" for it, not be able to buy it.

Race should not be changable..

RE base abilitys scores. You should not have to pay/ work or have to do anything to change base ability scores due to the fact that what they actualy do and how they contribute to your character is not explained in any way shape or form at the character creation stage. It just says, x, y and z are your 'main' ability stats it does not explain or say what they actually do or how, why they are 'main' stats for your character class.

You have no idea what they actually do until you enter the game and open your character sheet, Then it is clearly tooltiped what they do, this should be clearly tooltiped in the creation screen.

In character creation your are being asked to comit to set ability scores with no idea of what they actually do, not even a hint, it just says these 3 are you main stats. hence a full re roll of base abilitys should be part of a respec.

At least with class choice you can mouse over the class abilitys and it is clear what each class passive abilitys do, so there is no argument there, the information is there to see and you have info to base your choice from. But base ability stats there is nothing, just the advise that 3 of them are 'good' for your class, it does not say why and how, there is nothing..........
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I am not talking about just some text or for it to purchasable at all. The ability to change your race/base ability scores should be the reward for having completed an extremely difficult legendary adventure, a once in a characters life sort of thing, one that bards will sing about for the ages. Yes, I am saying the player should have to "work" for it, not be able to buy it.

I'm fine with this. Could make for some interesting PVE content / mini-games too. Though to make it a profitable option for cryptic, I'd be ok w/ it being in the zen store too (maybe only as part of the requirement). Profitable for cryptic = more likely to sustain the game long-term.
    Pvpbysynergy.png
    Iyon the Dark
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    bowdidly wrote: »
    Race should not be changable..

Yes it should.
    RE base abilitys scores. You should not have to pay/ work or have to do anything to change base ability scores due to the fact that what they actualy do and how they contribute to your character is not explained in any way shape or form at the character creation stage. It just says, x, y and z are your 'main' ability stats it does not explain or say what they actually do or how, why they are 'main' stats for your character class.

You have no idea what they actually do until you enter the game and open your character sheet, Then it is clearly tooltiped what they do, this should be clearly tooltiped in the creation screen.

In character creation your are being asked to comit to set ability scores with no idea of what they actually do, not even a hint, it just says these 3 are you main stats. hence a full re roll of base abilitys should be part of a respec.

At least with class choice you can mouse over the class abilitys and it is clear what each class passive abilitys do, so there is no argument there, the information is there to see and you have info to base your choice from. But base ability stats there is nothing, just the advise that 3 of them are 'good' for your class, it does not say why and how, there is nothing..........

Base ability score resets should be part of the reset token. Not free, but nothing in addition to the current cost of the reset token.
    Pvpbysynergy.png
    Iyon the Dark
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Skills and abilities are two separate things. To change your skills is fairly easy, just retrain at your local guild, temple, college, etc

There is no "local guild, temple, college, etc" to retrain 'skills' and 'abilitys', never has been, in this game there are 'powers' (abilitys) and 'Feats'. are you sure your playing the same game ?

There is only ONE way to retrain abilitys and feats, you have to PAY. you have to buy a retrain token with either Zen or AD. you dont have to 'go' anywere, you can do it through the Zen market or on the power/feats sheet from anywere in the game world.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Base ability score resets should be part of the reset token. Not free, but nothing in addition to the current cost of the reset token.

Agree and this is what this thread is about 'base ability' scores. Race change is a whole different topic.
  • Options
    swarfega27swarfega27 Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Skills and abilities are two separate things. To change your skills is fairly easy, just retrain at your local guild, temple, college, etc. Also for minor ability score changes there is the precedent of your character's ability scores to change by a couple of points as it ages, or magic items that grant you a point or two, but the base line does change without powerful magiks.

Perhaps you misread. Resetting Ability Scores IS available in game now. Without any difficult adventure.
    Just not all of them.

In D&D Minor ability scores change UP as the character ages. They dont reset. So there is already a precedent set in this game to bypass this particular part of D&D.

So pretend it doesnt exist, RP it away, refuse to discuss it, whatever.
  • Options
    ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    There is no "local guild, temple, college, etc" to retrain 'skills' and 'abilitys', never has been, in this game there are 'powers' (abilitys) and 'Feats'. are you sure your playing the same game ?

In this game the "local Guild, Temple, College" is replaced by the token you can purchase. I was summarizing from an earlier post I made about the precedent from PnP regarding skills and your ability to retrain them easily.
    swarfega27 wrote: »
    In D&D Minor ability scores change UP as the character ages. They dont reset. So there is already a precedent set in this game to bypass this particular part of D&D.

This is pretty much what I said regarding minor ability score adjustments, so we agree on this point. The last sentence of my first paragraph should have read; "but the base line does not change without powerful magiks. Apologies for the error in proofreading.

The one time I used a retraining token, the free one given after launch to beta players because of game changes, I was able to change the points I earned at each 10th level interval, but I was not able to change the initial scores. Has this changed so that you can now reroll your initial ability scores with a retraining token? If so this is a poor decision on the part of the Devs.

One of the reasons I am against the whole being able to change your race/base abilities, aside from my previously mentioned adventure route, is that you are basically creating a new character at that point. If your willing to allow that, why not just let players buy a fully T2 geared 60th level character from the Zen store, because that is in reality what you are asking for.

Also as I previously mentioned, the base ability score system should be changed anyway. Give players a pool of 78 or 84 points and allow them to assign them to their preferred abilities. This does mean that the Devs would need to give tooltips that have very good explanations on how the abilities affect the characters.

Edit2: None of this applies if your need to make changes to your character is because the Devs have made major updates that effect the functionality of your character. This would fall outside the scope of the players control, and the player should not be penalized for that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ortzhyortzhy Member Posts: 1,103 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    The difference between a token that allows for skill retraining and one that allows for race/ability changes is that a character can go to the local fighters guild and get trained in a new skill. Mages can go to the Mage College and learn new spells, Clerics can pray to their gods for new spells. Skills are easy to change within the context of the game and the lore. Race and ability not so much. These are things that define your character, not skills or gear. Again I'm not saying it should be impossible, just very very difficult to do, and it should be within the context of the game not by just popping down to the corner Zen store and changing them on a whim, like underwear, or because it happens to be the FotMoment.

I do agree and it could be done using celestial coins system: they are not easy to get and implies a divinity favor.
  • Options
    colonelwingcolonelwing Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I don't get it. The initial stats are like 4-10 points. How can it, when being resdistributed mean that it's a new character? The other points which are already included in a respec have a much bigger impact. I can change an entire build with 300 zen, no deities are involved. That's a fact.

• Options
    ameranth342ameranth342 Member Posts: 141 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    ortzhy wrote: »
    From a lore point of view i see the reason i cant change the race... but I can change the sex of my toon and visual so plastic surgery works in the game but is not as evolved as to make me look a different race :)

This is not the best documented game, there are many missing parts in the descriptions so as much i like to prepare myself i just cant. Mind that forums present no official information, guides are not always the best and all can change in a patch down the line as it did already. I can already change some of the stats.

Changing TR into a CW lets say is so lore based that you cant even imagine:) Take Elminster for example he was a rogue that transformed into a wizard.

As far as i know, unless it as been changed and not added in any patch notes , you can NOT change gender. can anyone comfirm this ???

AS for the rest of your post i fully agree ^^
  • Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    i did check out the appearance change token as well as the tower of alteration and there is no option to change your gender... although when you do a google search for this info, one of the neverwinter wiki sites says that it changes both appearance and gender. the token tool tip says nothing of the sort and i couldn't find any way to do it in the tower of alteration.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    melodywhr wrote: »
    i did check out the appearance change token as well as the tower of alteration and there is no option to change your gender... although when you do a google search for this info, one of the neverwinter wiki sites says that it changes both appearance and gender. the token tool tip says nothing of the sort and i couldn't find any way to do it in the tower of alteration.

Mea culpa for spreading wrong information, as i havent tested it myself and relayed on 3rd party information. Token tooltip needs to be improved as it can imply that in the current state.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    ortzhy wrote: »
    Mea culpa for spreading wrong information, as i havent tested it myself and relayed on 3rd party information. Token tooltip needs to be improved as it can imply that in the current state.

the info on the gateway says this:
    Grants the ability to fully customize your character's appearance again with the Change Appearance spell while visiting Lady Jyllian the Alteration Wizard in Neverwinter a single time.

i suppose that could be open for interpretation, however, to me, it doesn't imply gender. remember: you select gender when you're selecting your race... not when choosing your character's appearance.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    i suppose that could be open for interpretation, however, to me, it doesn't imply gender. remember: you select gender when you're selecting your race... not when choosing your character's appearance.

Met two players till now that bought that token for a sex change due to collision issues so when you need something you start to read even what is not there.
  • Options
    gorguts99gorguts99 Member Posts: 39
    edited November 2013
    Signing for race change, would pay for it.
  • Options
    edited November 2013

Thanks for checking up, to be honest i did try this a few months ago, i was strongly led to believe gender could be changed, but i soon found out it could not. Even though i was told on these forums i could by some one who should have known.

On neverwinter wiki, were most Mods and devs direct players for info, it says, and i quote :

"With this token you will be able to change the appearance of your character. Everything you can customize when creating a character, can be done here as well. You cannot change your race or class with this token"

And i am sorrry but in typical neverwinter style it is not 100% clear what it does, if any thing it could be quite missleading.

What the actual token realy does alow to change in fact, is ONLY the the things in the CUSTOMIZE window section,, Ie: hair colour, style, face shape, skin tone , leg length etc etc
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Anyway sex/race change is really secondary as attributes are more important and for that i want to add something else: Stats curves are different, something u cant rly find as official and even if u did u dont rly know what stats u;ll get on sets and so on... later on after u get a T2-T3 set u discover that in fact recovery scales better then critical for example so u kinda wish maybe that u didnt get that main stat so high and u would have taken a secondary as it offered critical chance per point and so improved your char by alot.. sometime maybe with 4-5% into a direction.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Thanks for checking up, to be honest i did try this a few months ago, i was strongly led to believe gender could be changed, but i soon found out it could not. Even though i was told on these forums i could by some one who should have known.

On neverwinter wiki, were most Mods and devs direct players for info, it says, and i quote :

"With this token you will be able to change the appearance of your character. Everything you can customize when creating a character, can be done here as well. You cannot change your race or class with this token"

And i am sorrry but in typical neverwinter style it is not 100% clear what it does, if any thing it could be quite missleading.

What the actual token realy does alow to change in fact, is ONLY the the things in the CUSTOMIZE window section,, Ie: hair colour, style, face shape, skin tone , leg length etc etc

this sounds like we need more neverwinter wiki contributors. :eek:
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    this sounds like we need more neverwinter wiki contributors.

Yes and no, to be honest i think its too late in the game now to 'catch' up, all info, tooltips, explanations should have been done during alpha, beta, and proof read, it is suprising how many toolotips, just dont make sence no matter how they are read.

I think the bigest problem is the game itself is not static or stable, even the original game at live launch is subject to changes all the time and we are now close to the 2nd Module release.
    Things in the game change quicker than a guide or info can be wrote, some changes are not even listed in patch notes, which does not help.
    Most things in the game you discover or find out about by either mistake or by accident.

As for now, i think tooltips could at least be clearer in discription and proof read, even patch notes can be quite confusing some times, its not that the info is not there, its just that is is poorly worded. This would save alot of in game confusion and drasticaly reduce alot of 'question' threads and posts here too.

And back on topic this is my point about Class abilitys scores, in creation there is not any info at all about why there are 3 that are your main stats for you class and no info at all in what they actually do provide for your class, you only find out once you enter the game world as to what they actually do, which is after you have already commited yourself to them, which is why i believe you should have the option to 're-roll' them, even if it is a 'one time' thing at lvl 60
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    i don't think there's any hard rule about wiki involvement. to me, it seems like a living, breathing thing ready for articles to be added and edited when need be. after all, this is an MMO that will always have patches, changes, updates, new content... for how long, who knows?

i think adding detailed information in the ability descriptions may confuse first time players since they haven't even seen what the character sheet looks like or what crit chance, recovery, power, armor pen, etc is or what stats you're going to need in conjunction with feats that you haven't seen either. i think that the reason you have limited initial ability score rolls along with certain racial bonuses is to prevent huge and catastrophic choices that completely gimp a character so that it can't even get to level 60. there are obviously people that think that the inability to change these options does limit their characters enough that they want the option. personally, i haven't had any issues with the choices i've made concerning race and initial ability stats. but i'm also not much of a competitive player.
  • Options
    lionmaruu0lionmaruu0 Member Posts: 327 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    sominator wrote: »
    Hey all,

Thanks for your feedback on this! It's a great idea and we're looking into it.

I really really hope you do! and make a change race token! :)
  • Options
    colonelwingcolonelwing Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    lionmaruu0 wrote: »
    I really really hope you do! and make a change race token! :)

I think he was referring to initial ability roll - respecs.

• Options
    edited November 2013
    My reasoning behind my own belief a full ability score reset should be in the game is:

Many players will download this game just to 'have a look' and 'give it a go' they pick a class they think they will like and will more than likely not take much care in the character creation steps, all they want to do is get into the game and see what it is like.

On entering the game most will like what they see straight away and rush through the Tutorial part to get into PE, Then the game starts to get interesting and exciting, they continue to play having more and more fun and geting engrosed in the game, soon hours pass, then days, always having fun and longing to lvl up to reach the next zone.

Eventually they reach their main goal, which is lvl cap, 60, now things get even more interesting, and also serious, they now realise they need lvl 60 gear , idealy epics are the main goal,, There is now a whole new world of things that come to light that play an improtant part of 'end game'. Enchants, weapons, gear, but most of all the main focus is equipement with the correct 'stats' for their class and role.

This is their first real look at their abilitys scores and whether their choices were good or not , yes i agree some can be changed, but not the 'base stats' you chose when you did not realy know how the game worked.

So they now realise some of their choices were not good, maybe some were realy bad and of no use at all to their class, but what can they do, nothing realy, a new lvl 60 could purchase a respec token and change 'some' of the ability stats, but it is very unlikely a new lvl 60 will have the 100k plus AD to pay for this, and also knowing the fact they will not be able to change them all to more suitable ones. It is either this or start completely all over again and reroll a new character and use their new experience of the game to build it up better

So in reality they are left with just one option, Buy Zen.... but this will only let them change some of the abilitys scores and not the ones they first picked, when they did not know what they actually did, most players do not mind spending cash on something they enjoy and most do, but when they are in a position of 'having' to spend cash to rectify something they did not know about at the start, they will be very reluctant to do so. Plus it will be in their mind they need to also work on a complete new gear set and also enchants it too. I am sure many have been in this position and just 'called it a day' and give up, they had some fun lvling up, but now refuse to spend on the game because they have to. This is some thing we do not want.

Human nature makes us all reluctant to spend on anything we are forced into, players will always spend more when it is their own choice.

I know the game from PWE's point of view is a Business and here to make them money, but i strongly believe if some aspects of this game were more helpfull and 'player' friendly they would in return reap greater rewards themselves.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    That all makes sense bowdidly. I agree.
    Although not everyone realizes that race differences can have just as much impact, your argument also applies to race.

Only thing I'd add is that I've no problem with cryptic charging zen. Cryptic making money off game = game lasting longer.
    Pvpbysynergy.png
    Iyon the Dark
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    That all makes sense bowdidly. I agree.
    Although not everyone realizes that race differences can have just as much impact, your argument also applies to race.

Only thing I'd add is that I've no problem with cryptic charging zen. Cryptic making money off game = game lasting longer.

Thanks and i'm sure alot more players can relate to it than what people might think.

As for race change, this thread is about base ability scores, race change is a whole new topic realy

I also see some posts saying the base ability scores dont make that much of a difference, and i know you can off set them slightly with enchants etc, but if they dont make that big of a difference then why can we change some of them with a respec and not all of them..

I would also place a good bet that the sales of respec tokens would near double if this option was available
  • Options
    runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    For those interested there is a new response to this topic (initial ability score reset) in another thread.

In the preview forum section someone asked about starting ability respecs and if it was included in the renamed character repsec. Terramak responded about the feature. No new info was given, but he mentions that its something they want to do if they can.
    terramak wrote: »
    Yeah, I totally agree that it's not an ideal scenario. It's something that we want to do, it just needs to get on our feature list and weighed against our other priorities.

You can find the thread here. His responses to it start on page 2 if I recall correctly.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • Options
    djaruddjarud Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 62
    edited November 2013
    uriziem wrote: »
    /signed for include all, race and ability score

I agree with this idea entirely, especially as my main is an Half-Elf, and has a Racial which in the current build/s (Dilettante) does nothing for him.
    Some things are meant to remain lost.
This discussion has been closed.