test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Polygon's Exclusive Preview of Module 2, Hunter Ranger, and more!

Comments

• Options
    altyrealtyre Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 106 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    I'm not concerned that dungeons will be impossible - Ranger-type classes are always quite versatile, and this one looks no different, since they basically slammed together the Hunter and the Tempest.

What I'm concerned about is the fact that legit Rangers will be drowned out by novelty Drizzt-wannabe Rangers... Yes, I know I sound like a ******bag.
  • Options
    lobo0084lobo0084 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 663 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    altyre wrote: »
    I'm not concerned that dungeons will be impossible - Ranger-type classes are always quite versatile, and this one looks no different, since they basically slammed together the Hunter and the Tempest.

What I'm concerned about is the fact that legit Rangers will be drowned out by novelty Drizzt-wannabe Rangers... Yes, I know I sound like a ******bag.

We all knew that was going to happen. Friggin' scimitars will be everywhere.
    "Every adventurer has two things in common: they don't like dying, and they love getting paid. The rest is just semantics." Brecken, famed mercenary of Baldur's Gate

"D*mn wizards," said Morik the Rogue.

Learn what a GWF and GF really are: The History of Fighters
  • Options
    altyrealtyre Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 106 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    lobo0084 wrote: »
    We all knew that was going to happen. Friggin' scimitars will be everywhere.

Admit it, though - we all held that fools' hope that maybe... Just maybe it wouldn't turn into Drizztfest 2013.

Nope. It's a good thing I enjoy playing solo, because I doubt too many legit groups would take me as a ranger... ._.
  • Options
    alandoril1alandoril1 Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Not especially interested in the ranger. Just what we needed even more dps...
  • Options
    rabbinicusrabbinicus Member Posts: 1,822 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    enderlin50 wrote: »
    When does Module 2 go live?

Before the end of the year.
    The right to command is earned through duty, the privilege of rank is service.

• Options
    lobo0084lobo0084 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 663 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    djoffer1 wrote: »
    Yeah lets wait another 12 months before releasing new classes, that might be the dumbest idea on this boards ever, and thats saying a lot:)

Just want to make sure you said what you said.
    "Every adventurer has two things in common: they don't like dying, and they love getting paid. The rest is just semantics." Brecken, famed mercenary of Baldur's Gate

"D*mn wizards," said Morik the Rogue.

Learn what a GWF and GF really are: The History of Fighters
  • Options
    maniaclettermanmaniacletterman Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I seriously think you should hold of cryptic and release maybe 2/3 classes at once. I know this takes time and maybe means longer to wait but i would prefer that then having a server just with rangers. Anyone else agree with me ?

Absolutely nope.
  • Options
    pallierpallier Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I played this game in closed beta and open beta and stopped playing about a month ago because I was sick of waiting for my class the ranger to come out... now that it's coming I'll get back into the game and only play the ranger it has always been my class of choice, I will hate the fact that everyone in the game will want to try it out and if it is not balanced you get those that abuse the OP of it getting it nerfed to be the weakest class in the game for almost a year.

I deleted my level 50 character to make a spot so i could make my ranger. Now I just have to wait for it to come out... so I'll continue to stay out of the game until it is here.
    Oh Atari how I miss you!
  • Options
    khimera906khimera906 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I seriously think you should hold of cryptic and release maybe 2/3 classes at once. I know this takes time and maybe means longer to wait but i would prefer that then having a server just with rangers. Anyone else agree with me ?
    Hold back the Ranger? ... Now, after it was announced? Are you mad? Think of what you're saying, man! Think of the angry lynch mobs! There will be riots, pitchforks and torches. The forums will run red with angry threads. There will be mass hysteria!
    If that was to happen ... may the Gods have mercy on us all...
    I hate dancing with Lady Luck. She always steps on my toes.
  • Options
    shadedwraithshadedwraith Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    altyre wrote: »

There always gonna be UN-origonal players who make Drizzts regardless of ranger class or not. I've already seen a ton of Drizzts or stupidly similar named toons.
  • Options
    shadedwraithshadedwraith Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    pallier wrote: »
    I played this game in closed beta and open beta and stopped playing about a month ago because I was sick of waiting for my class the ranger to come out... now that it's coming I'll get back into the game and only play the ranger it has always been my class of choice, I will hate the fact that everyone in the game will want to try it out and if it is not balanced you get those that abuse the OP of it getting it nerfed to be the weakest class in the game for almost a year.

I deleted my level 50 character to make a spot so i could make my ranger. Now I just have to wait for it to come out... so I'll continue to stay out of the game until it is here.

It is supposedly for advanced players, if that is true some will quit ranger because they will think its too hard to play. Plus theres going to be new paragon paths for each existing class so that might pull people in to try the new skills out.
  • Options
    serowforsakenserowforsaken Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I'm going to start playing NW only because the Ranger class is FINALLY in.
    I'm part of the "overwhelming outcry" that Andy mentioned.
    60 Hunter Ranger
    The rest still up-and-coming!
  • Options
    wildfire412001wildfire412001 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 114 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    don't care how long it took, just so long as i get a ranger!!! WOOT WOOT!! i knew i was saving my pseudodragon for something, lol
  • Options
    serowforsakenserowforsaken Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Uhhm, Ranger is a Fighter sub-class, just like the Paladin.
    Actually, in 4E, Rangers and Paladins are their own class. Has been this way since 3E.
    Maybe even 2E? I only started D&D in 3E.
    60 Hunter Ranger
    The rest still up-and-coming!
  • Options
    ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    You are correct, they are their own class, was thinking of 2nd Ed. They were split off in 3rd Ed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    The Ranger is more a Rogue subclass, or it should be, bandit, scout and all. I'm kind of worried Neverwinters Ranger wont have Stealth, or only have Novelty Stealth like the kind that moving breaks.
    They do not have stealth, instead they have a Daily called Forest Ghost, according to today's Adventure Hour.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Doesn't matter. Ranger started as a sub-class of fighter and never had anything to do with rogue. 3E, 3.5 and 4 can all be dropped in the garbage. 2E was the best.
  • Options
    yokihiroyokihiro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 510 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    obitussss wrote: »
    still no warlock class...

They make the CW to a nuking wizard anyway - why would one need Warlocks? In the end he might be a CW without the control powers, so no one would need you in a dungeon. That is really the biggest problem atm. CW is most of the time the better choice than the GF, GWF and often the TR anyway. Every dungeon goes faster with CWs. If they don't change the CW a lot every other mage will just be worthless.
  • Options
    kingculexkingculex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I just got an interesting e-mail about the new module that mentioned a new class.

"Shadowmantle will feature the Hunter Ranger, an all-new playable class that can quickly toggle between ranged and melee combat."

I read this and thought it was very interesting. I bet there will be nerf threads wanting the new class to be nerfed within a day of the new class being released because so many players complain about TR's ability to do melee and range damage. It looks like the devs are continuing to combine the categories together instead of keeping them separate. The categories originally were melee, ranged, support, and tank. I wonder if this new class will have any abilities like healing or tank abilities.:D

Who knows it may even replace TRs if it does more damage ranged because fighting with ranged attacks is generally easier than melee. I look forward to test it and the new module.:D
    Every class has advantages and disadvantages. Learn the disadvantages of you class to overcome them. Learn the advantages of your class and the disadvatages of other classes to use them in pvp to win.

There is no point to whine for nerfs because you win some and loose some. Crying just makes a player look like a crier and no one, especially the devs, should take them seriously. Have a nice day!:)
  • Options
    magnusvanguardmagnusvanguard Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    :confused: Looks like a TR with a bow, great! :p
  • Options
    obitussssobitussss Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    well I wanted a warlock class because I`d like to play a darker character - and I was hoping for a different type of gameplay than that of a control wizard (got one maxed)
  • Options
    norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Ok so as you lot might know, the ranger class is finally coming. I for one is so excited, the trailer looked so awesome and this is the class i always play around the table as aragon from lotr is kind of my hero. The only thing i fear though is that now we are going to have lots of rangers running around.

Yes, if the trailer is any way to judge, we will have a server full of rangers! Who would not want to play a class that apparently (from the trailer) can one-shot everything while taking no damage?! :P

I would not worry about it. There will be a "wave" of new rangers, then some people will dislike the class and stop playing it, going back to their 'main'. Others will love it and swap to it. In the end, it will just be 1/8th or whatever of the population -- inside 2 months the "everyone playing a ranger" issue will be forgotten history. Couple of months of rangers everywhere may be silly but it won't hurt anything.
  • Options
    gurugeorgegurugeorge Member Posts: 421 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    noroblad wrote: »
    Yes, if the trailer is any way to judge, we will have a server full of rangers! Who would not want to play a class that apparently (from the trailer) can one-shot everything while taking no damage?! :P

I would not worry about it. There will be a "wave" of new rangers, then some people will dislike the class and stop playing it, going back to their 'main'. Others will love it and swap to it. In the end, it will just be 1/8th or whatever of the population -- inside 2 months the "everyone playing a ranger" issue will be forgotten history. Couple of months of rangers everywhere may be silly but it won't hurt anything.

Exactly, happens like that in every MMO - a new class is FOTM for a while, then it settles down after a few weeks. People usually know by about level 20 whether a class "fits" for them.
  • Options
    thesensaithesensai Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    It is supposedly for advanced players, if that is true some will quit ranger because they will think its too hard to play. Plus theres going to be new paragon paths for each existing class so that might pull people in to try the new skills out.

What I really want to know, is if cryptic has plans to make different versions of the current classes, like how there are two version of fighter. I would very much like to see variation on wizard, ie an evoker wizard, a transmutation wizard. Does cryptic have plans to do this, or are we only going to get weaksauce alternate paragon paths for CONTROL wizard?
  • Options
    khimera906khimera906 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    noroblad wrote: »
    Naaah, you can't draw this kind of conclusions from a trailer. It's just a cinematic sequence, no life bars, no casting times. It's just to show how cool the new class is and hype people. If players make a Ranger based on the idea that it's going to one-shot everyone and just dance through the enemies without taking damage, like in the trailer, they're going to have an ugly surprise.
    I hate dancing with Lady Luck. She always steps on my toes.
  • Options
    grungebrmpkgrungebrmpk Member, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 201 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    Rangers always use ranged and mellee, since ad&d. They are not rogues with bows oO

They don't have stealth, sneak attack and those kind of rogue skills.

And yes, rangers are always good dps characters, but it doesn't mean they are rogues with bows.

I'm curious to see if there will be ranger's unique companions, or if they will have the hability to tame creatures. This should be fun.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ausdoerrtausdoerrt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Rangers don't trap or have in-combat stealth advantages. Rogues don't have knowledge of the wild or specialized fighting styles. So quite different, really.

Interestingly, HUNTER ranger specifically is a controller first, striker second in PnP. Then again, they also have some primal magic in PnP, so who knows how close the NW version is to the original. I'd definitely welcome it if it had more versatility and wasn't a straightforward dps-er.
    I'm curious to see if there will be ranger's unique companions, or if they will have the hability to tame creatures. This should be fun.

If my research is correct, 4e rangers don't get pets by default like they do in 3.5e. Seems like a "beastmaster ranger" was added later with access to them, but looks like that's not what we're getting.
  • Options
    grungebrmpkgrungebrmpk Member, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 201 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    Hm I see, but I really hope that this happen, it would be great, and my wife will play a much more with me :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    magnusvanguardmagnusvanguard Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    :confused: Looks like a TR with a bow, great! :p

Looks like does not mean "IS", if you've seen the video then you will agree it looks like a TR with a bow! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    pandawookie135pandawookie135 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    You have said it all...i cant add any to that :)