test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

I was considering joining neverwinter but...

despairsrequiemdespairsrequiem Member Posts: 127 Bounty Hunter
edited August 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Hello, I have been watching this game from a distance for some time now trying to come to a decision as to whether or not I wanted to even download this game, or if it wasn't worth the time. I'm still undecided and was on the BRINK of pressing download, till I scanned through the neverwinter forums....

The community is INCREDIBLY negative here on the forums (attitude wise) with a handful of exceptions, this is the underlining factor that has made me go back into simply watching. If the forums are this rough, I already know that the in game community is going to be filled with conflict... from experience.

It's one thing to be negative towards your devs (because people are people, and when someone creates something there will always be a critic) but the way you've displayed relations amongst yourselves as humans is well... I'll stop there.

Then you have the Economy crashing exploits, meaning because I didn't jump in head first with everyone else I'll be dirt broke for a large amount of the game, only wiping the game would cause a fix to the economy and obviously countless people have spent money in the game and dedicated time to it so that wouldn't be the best of moves, so due to exploiters the economy is ruined meaning I'd pretty much be waaaaay further behind the curb as a newcomer than one should be.

Then there's my favorite community, the pvp community, the guys who naturally have conflict with eachother, but normally have a mutual respect for eachother as well... So far so good with you guys >_<, however; the ones that lack such aspects (mutual respect) lack it hardcore, and when combined with the negative community almost get a rally behind them of berating someone, often for the most ridiculous of reasons.

I'm asking someone to give me a brief synopsis of activity inside the game, this will help me decide if I wish to download it ( I am a busy person in real life normally, but I've got some downtime due to having a short college break.)
Post edited by despairsrequiem on

Comments

• Options
    zahinderzahinder Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    It's worth playing for a month without spending any money.

After that, you should have a good idea, and you're out nothing!
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    alextheclericalexthecleric Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Download it and play with a friend or two . Fun is guaranteed :)
  • Options
    baronvonboombaronvonboom Member Posts: 536 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Don't Judge a book by its..

Oh hang on.. Don't judge this game by its forum

This is a horrible place where more tissues are handed round for spoilt kids then anything else..

Its not a huge download, give it a try and you might be pleasantly surprised
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    MMO forums are often really terrible places with a lot of complaining and whining.

Now, I personally think NW is disappointing in lots of ways... but hey, people like different things. And, if nothing else, it was a fun ride for a little while.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    A negative forum does not equal a negative community. You can control your own exposure to the community while playing in any case, so that is a poor excuse for not trying the game out.

Anyway, for the game play, up until 60 you can solo most of the game if so inclined, along with your companion. The things you will likely not be able to solo are skirmishes and dungeons. You will be able to play the dungeons you missed along the way, as you get access to epic versions at 60. However, at this time you can't do skirmishes if you miss them for the most part.

The adventure path up to 60 is fairly decent. For the most part it is made up of discrete adventures, each set in their own locale, that have a bit of story associated with them along with voice acting that is mostly alright. They can sort of be thought of as adventure modules. This is fun enough the first time through, and maybe a few more. However, it is the only path one has to travel up to 60 via PvE. It is a very much on rails experience that doesn't vary in any way with repeat plays.

Once you get to 60, play involves doing dungeons fairly often as they are repeatable, whereas the adventures leading up to 60 are not. This is all group oriented content. However, in the next couple of days, an expansion is coming out that will broaden the available activities for level 60 players and bring in some new solo oriented content for those at max level.

Trade skills are all handled in the background, with you tasking your minions with various jobs that take a certain amount of time before they are completed, along with a certain amount of various resources, giving you whatever benefit is indicated. It is all hand off approach, where you take on the role of that more akin to supervisor than worker. Some feel disconnected from the trade skills due to that. However, they have the virtue of not having to compete with others for resources in the open world, and you can also do your crafting when not in the game, via a gateway, which can be handy.

What else would you like to know about the game?
  • Options
    fantasycharacterfantasycharacter Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 675 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The majority of people aren't bad.

The few stinkers I have run into have been pretty awful though.
  • Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    case in point. people that no longer play this game still post in the forums. i could never quite figure that out... unless they are hoping to watch the game die. which is another thing that i could never understand.

if your time is that important to you, why are you concerned about spending it on a video game? unless you play, how will you know if you will like it? there are plenty of cult classics in existence that wouldn't be if everyone took the word of a critic. download it. play it. make your own opinion.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    . . . . . Well met! Please keep in mind, forum communities are just a very small sample of an MMO's total population. As others have said, not all posters actually play either. To judge a game based upon any forum community isn't a good idea. I strongly suggest to check the game out and the in-game communities for oneself. Don't let others make up your opinion for you, make your own! *the mage nods, agreeing with himself as usual*
  • Options
    bobcat1313bobcat1313 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I've been playing MMOs since EQ1 and I really enjoy this game and have tons of fun. Was kind of nervous at first being free to play, but I actually can walk away and don't feel like its a second job. I really went crazy with EQ2 and almost got there with WoW.

I have been playing since launch, we have a guild made of all family members and we usually get together during events or once a month. If you try it out I hope you have a little fun with it, as I have.
  • Options
    powereddjinnpowereddjinn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Despite any comment here, I would advise you to try the game out, after the patch on Thursday, as what others say & how you find the game may differ, only you can decide if a game is for you.

The game is free, you have nothing to lose but time!
  • Options
    abzerothabzeroth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 31
    edited August 2013
    Here's the skinny:

Don't judge the game community by the forum community, that's just silly.

The game economy is working as intended. You will have inconveniences that real money will make go away, but you don't need to pay a single dime to reach 60 without problems. I just finished leveling my second 60 on a second server without needing AD or gold. The only problem I foresee is when you'll need to buy a mount at 20, which costs 5g that you won't have at the time. You'll have a mount for 18 in-game hours so that'll help until you save 5g from questing/vendoring.

The people in-game are generally nice, I haven't had one bad person. That said, if you decide to do dungeons with random people, they WILL leave you hanging if the dungeon isn't going well, but as far as *****ing and being jerks you'll mostly not see that unless you PvP.

Play the game, reach level 60, don't pay any real money, do your in-game prayers and level up Leadership profession for exp/AD, and then stop at 60 until Cryptic makes big changes to dungeons heh.
  • Options
    deathsremnantdeathsremnant Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 185
    edited August 2013
    The game is incredibly easy and the exploiters gained little to nothing. If you do daily AD quests you'll easily gain about 100k AD by 60 alone without actually "farming" for it. This if you decide is more then enough to buy from the AH enough T1 gear (and have a ton left over) or a good 3-4 pieces of T2 gear. So no you wont be "dirt broke"

I dont even like this game because im not a fan of cryptic in general. But I will say I did enjoy my first 60. I come back time to time to see if anything worth while is added, So I'll say this. Download it, try it out. I doubt youll stay with it over a month, but youll have fun that first month at least.
  • Options
    vrtesseractvrtesseract Member Posts: 631 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    What you should do is go to someone elses forum and ask about NW, Generally other game forums ,fan sites, critics all conclude this is "a pretty fun game" not the best game ever or anything but "Pritty fun"

The forums have a high amount of negativity, but you have had a lot of really bad things going on lately to MMOs that have been around for years, City of heroes closed after 10+ years with 2 months warning, wow got a panda infestation, GW2 was underwhelming, I've heard a lot of people are here from terra and rifts, CO and STO people may be jealous that PWE loves NW more then their games.

A lot of the negativity has been going on in forums literally since beta, people have complained when PWE gave them free stuff, and when they lowered dye prices, when they FIXED bugs, when they added a new profession that everyone loved, free promotions, when 2 million players was announced, when it was reported rogues would be nerfed, when it was reported rogues wouldn't be nerfed...as bad.

My point is the people on the forums love to cry wolf, in the game people are friendly the economy in spite of the exploits is somewhat self repairing, things go up and down based on whatever the current thing is but coming in late wont hurt you at all as long as you can watch the patterns and don't impulse buy to much.

Leveling is fast and pleasant, ive split up leveling areas between my chars to decrease repetition I do foundry and dailies when im not in range of that characters areas, I got one char doing the demon/dimensional areas, one char doing more nature areas, one char doing drow areas.

But yeah its free try it yourself give it at least till level 20 before you judge good or bad. also at 20 if you've been doing the prayers and or leadership you can often get a cheap horse for about 5k-10k diamonds, (which you can esially get just by doing dailies for 2-3 days. and or skirmishes in skirmish hour.)
  • Options
    esteenaesteena Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1
    edited August 2013
    zebular wrote: »
    *the mage nods, agreeing with himself as usual*!

What the...

Back to OP, it is a free to play game, just download and install. You lose nothing from trying really..
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    It really is a fun game, and it doesn't cost anything at all to try. Plus with the Foundry, you basically have infinite content to play if you decide you enjoy it.

You may see some negativity in Protector's Enclave zone chat in between attacks of goldseller spam, but there are good times as well. But you'll hardly see anything of the sort out in the adventure zones.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    You may see some negativity in Protector's Enclave zone chat in between attacks of goldseller spam, but there are good times as well. But you'll hardly see anything of the sort out in the adventure zones.

Turning off zone chat fixes that.
  • Options
    wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    it's just free to play, cost nothing to download and take your time learning.
    you can always stop playing Neverwinter at any time and it cost nothing, and can go back playing Neverwinter without having all that fuss about monthly subscriptions.
    it is fun for most solo adventures, but some are harder, just have to learn.
    i do complain few times or got lost and need some advices from experienced players.

there are some players can help giving hints or may have extras to give, and so are bad players too, dont hold grudes with them, they come and go.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    knightfalz wrote: »
    Turning off zone chat fixes that.

Of course it does. Just like not visiting these forums fixes all the complaining here.

I actually like interacting with people, even if some of them are grumpy.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Of course it does. Just like not visiting these forums fixes all the complaining here.

I actually like interacting with people, even if some of them are grumpy.

So do I. That's what I use guild chat for, to interact with people I want to interact with.

Selective interaction can filter out a lot of unpleasant things without depriving oneself of interaction.
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Id be less afraid about negativity then I would about no activity on the forums at all. If people are posting, either for or against something. It generally means they are passionate about or invested in it in someway. Anything that can generate such levels of investment, good or bad, is at the very least worth investigating. If the game is generating no passion at all, then it is truly dead.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    Id be less afraid about negativity then I would about no activity on the forums at all. If people are posting, either for or against something. It generally means they are passionate about or invested in it in someway. Anything that can generate such levels of investment, good or bad, is at the very least worth investigating. If the game is generating no passion at all, then it is truly dead.

I couldn't have said it better.

Try the game out and decide for yourself.
    You have nothing to lose but time. :)
  • Options
    goddessuniquegoddessunique Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Hello, I have been watching this game from a distance for some time now trying to come to a decision as to whether or not I wanted to even download this game, or if it wasn't worth the time. I'm still undecided and was on the BRINK of pressing download, till I scanned through the neverwinter forums....

The community is INCREDIBLY negative here on the forums (attitude wise) with a handful of exceptions, this is the underlining factor that has made me go back into simply watching. If the forums are this rough, I already know that the in game community is going to be filled with conflict... from experience.

It's one thing to be negative towards your devs (because people are people, and when someone creates something there will always be a critic) but the way you've displayed relations amongst yourselves as humans is well... I'll stop there.

Then you have the Economy crashing exploits, meaning because I didn't jump in head first with everyone else I'll be dirt broke for a large amount of the game, only wiping the game would cause a fix to the economy and obviously countless people have spent money in the game and dedicated time to it so that wouldn't be the best of moves, so due to exploiters the economy is ruined meaning I'd pretty much be waaaaay further behind the curb as a newcomer than one should be.

Then there's my favorite community, the pvp community, the guys who naturally have conflict with eachother, but normally have a mutual respect for eachother as well... So far so good with you guys >_<, however; the ones that lack such aspects (mutual respect) lack it hardcore, and when combined with the negative community almost get a rally behind them of berating someone, often for the most ridiculous of reasons.

I'm asking someone to give me a brief synopsis of activity inside the game, this will help me decide if I wish to download it ( I am a busy person in real life normally, but I've got some downtime due to having a short college break.)

Most people that complain on the forum are people that got ripped off and just now realizing they shouldn't had spent money on a "free" game and the other 3% are none p2w players that get facerolled by players with op gear enchants and scream nerf.
    About the ingame community, there's lots of fun people some are 30yr old children that like to scam/exploit and act like children(kicking players when the boss at 1% health) but other then that the community is great.

I just wish more people would read the forums before playing this game because this saves so much time from trial and error.:)
    Queen of Dragon Server
    Goddess Uniique, lvl 60 DC.
    PinkSugar, lvl 60 CW.
    Baby Cakes, lvl 60 GWF.
    *******, lvl 60 TR.
    Premium Juicebox, lvl 60 CW.
    Pink Exxxtacy, Ranger

There is NO pvp in Neverwinter.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I couldn't have said it better.

Try the game out and decide for yourself.
    You have nothing to lose but time. :)

Nope I lost my sanity a while back too. lol
    Queen of Dragon Server
    PinkSugar, lvl 60 CW.
    Baby Cakes, lvl 60 GWF.
    *******, lvl 60 TR.
    Pink Exxxtacy, Ranger

• Options
    chrono0812chrono0812 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 501 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Nope I lost my sanity a while back too. lol

I agree with this post 100%
    Death_knight.jpg

Life is a dream for the wise, a game for the fool, a comedy for the rich, a tragedy for the poor.
    ~Sholom Aleichem
  • Options
    dreamhuntressxdreamhuntressx Member Posts: 453 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Ppl usually use forums to rant and vent. Not everything, in any aspects, is a paradise inside a gamming community. Try the game. Its really fun and there are moments ull have a blast. If u dont like it, then u can keep playing as a forum stalker. ;)
    Leanan Sidhe (not "The Dresde Files" fairy!) - NW Legit Channel Moderator
  • Options
    ashlotteashlotte Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The game's a lot of fun from 1-60 and beyond if you've a good guild and/or friends at your behest.

That being said, most of the forum posters are not pleased with the direction that Perfect World's bait and carroting is taking the game. That and Cryptic's decision to not only nerf classes but gear sets as well, compelling those who spent large amounts of AD on their armor to spend more AD- most particularly in massive bulk, requiring ZEN- to keep up with the Joneses.
  • Options
    farfig1337farfig1337 Member Posts: 108 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    As for negativity in Game, I have gone through about 6 guilds since Open beta because of the GWF hate players gave me in those guilds. Last week I was told all 13k GWFs are less useful to a group than any 6k TR, while looking for Group.

Players ditch T2 dungeons all the time if the littlest thing goes wrong. And this can happen from slight differences in dungeon running tactics both that work. But if a player sees someone that breaks his idea on how to run a dungeon you often have a leaver.

The main problems that cause these outburts is how very cookie cutter all the classes are. Half the moves in the game are useless for both PvE and PvP. If you see new players use them you get discouraged. Even if players are using the right moves the game is very hard if your not sitting at top gear because you bought it. And those bought up players can still ruin dungeon runs from simply being new to the Dungeon strategy and not using the right moves, the right way.

I have been on forums since open beta talking about moves that nobody uses, the sorry state of a GWF for PvE and how very difficult it is for them to get groups. And why they are not wanted and how to make them more useful in PvE without buffing them in PvE (It's simple just make the non-pvp moves better) Yet all my suggestions are 100% ignored. The only buff the GWF got was a defensive buff that made the GWF tolerated but still not wanted in endgame dungeons. This buff is being nerfed hardcore on Feywild patch, plus PvE damage nerfs.

The only potential this game has it's its game play which is ruined by the fact most the time I'm LFG and dont get to play.
  • Options
    usernumber999usernumber999 Member Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    The game is fun, and the ingame community is pretty decent. I think though, you confuse negativity for well deserved outrage regarding some drastic and extraordinary changes to the game that are being implemented by the developers.
  • Options
    carletto75carletto75 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    It's free
    It's fun
    There are a lot of things to do, especially for a new player.

My 2cents:
    Download, install and play... if you like you win, otherwise disinstall and cya
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Pls stop calling this game free to play because a few people have told me that when feywild launch, you have to pay to play the new content. I thought he was trolling but somebody else confirmed it.:(
    Queen of Dragon Server
    PinkSugar, lvl 60 CW.
    Baby Cakes, lvl 60 GWF.
    *******, lvl 60 TR.
    Pink Exxxtacy, Ranger