What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Non-Creative Quests vs Popularity

Comments

• Options
    wuhsinwuhsin Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    No spaceships or inter-galactic travel please.

You haven't played actual D&D, have you? Pick up a Manual of the Planes, and read up on Astral Skiffs, Astral Dominions, etc. It's basically the D&D version of space. Then you have the Far Realm from which Mindflayers and other alien looking tentacle wielding beings come. And then there are Star Spawn. One of the solo bosses is basically a freaking living planet that was created by the primordials, given life/intelligence by the gods, then banished to the Far Realm by the gods out of fear, causing it to become twisted and evil. The boss is named Allabar, Opener of the Way, and fighting him involves flying around in outer space while trying to avoid the clutches of his tentacles AND gravitational pull. Then there were rabid space squirrels and all kinds of other space stuff in previous editions. Heck, one of my graphic novels even features a cliff-hanger story where the characters are flying through outer space in a wicked futuristic spaceship that makes the Millenium Falcon look like a Volkswagon... And I believe they had Star Trek grade weapons.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kamaliiciouskamaliicious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Spelljammer.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited June 2013
    I have and I was well aware. I tried using that very specific wording to avoid that comparison.

The Star Trek/Star Wars Space travel doesn't belong in D&D. Of course the extra dimmentions can fill quite a close fit in times and those are all fine and dandy but no building rockets ships in Protector's Enclave to travel to a different galaxy. Use magic to send a house through time and space all you want but if it's looking like it belongs in Star Trek it probably does. ;)

In any case let's get back to the topic.

revelationmd,
    I actually would prefer it to be more specific. I wouldn't want it to simply cut to the nearest 15.

If the quest takes the average player 40 minutes to complete it will count for 40 minutes of playtime which would be deducted from the total amount of play-time you have to devote to the daily, 15, 30, 45 or 60.

Of course the average will always be different between the rushers and the people who read the storylines and rushers will always have the upper edge but of course players can't be rewarded simply on the amount of time they spent on the quest otherwise players would purposely just sit AFK to bump up the completion time.

It's all really a catch 22 issue. It's hard to reward fairly for one side without breaking the other. :(
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    No spaceships or inter-galactic travel please.

Check out the TSR Worlds comics Jammer and Spelljammer. You'll find them in the Forgotten Realms Classics graphic novels volumes one and two. They feature spaceships in a legitimate, very canonical Forgotten Realms setting with locations such as Waterdeep in it. Proof that spaceships and outer space have a place in traditional D&D. These were released in 1990 btw, predating 4th edition by well over a decade.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited June 2013
    Technicalities which are off topic and still not what I was describing and you know it. ;)
    Drop it.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Expedition to the Barrier Peaks
  • Options
    wininoidwininoid Member Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Also they said they can't feature any quest with IP characters. So no Drizzt or Zelda, etc.
  • Options
    sourcreamkingsourcreamking Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 268 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    wuhsin wrote: »
    Check out the TSR Worlds comics Jammer and Spelljammer. You'll find them in the Forgotten Realms Classics graphic novels volumes one and two. They feature spaceships in a legitimate, very canonical Forgotten Realms setting with locations such as Waterdeep in it. Proof that spaceships and outer space have a place in traditional D&D. These were released in 1990 btw, predating 4th edition by well over a decade.

Everything after 2nd Ed. doesn't count.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The entire campaign can be found here: NWS-DQS27OINC

Individual quests:
    1. Heeding the Call - NW-DMJCDZ5XJ
    2. Bored of the Rings - NW-DFWE3XR6W
    3. Draconian Ways - NW-DUNZEJG2J
    4. When All is Said and Done... - Look at the picture ;)
  • Options
    meedacthunistmeedacthunist Member Posts: 3,085
    edited June 2013
    Thing is, both comics and Spelljammer settings were made for 2nd edition. AD&D.
    Spelljammer was closely tied to Planescape.

Anyway, Spelljammer isn't sci-fi, or even space opera setting.

Ships are magical and travels are made via phlogiston space. Planetar systems are enclosed in crystal spheres. It's purely fantasy setting based on how cosmos was imagined in Medieval period.

Spelljamming ships can look really strange, but most of them looks like airships and is wooden, have sails and steering helms. The whole thing plays more like a high-seas swashbuckling setting.
  • Options
    lolsorhandlolsorhand Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 981 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    delthanin wrote: »
    But... but where will the miniaturized space hamsters come from?

I sure hope.. And a friend of Boo, is friend of mine :3
    I like turtles.

Brethren of the Five, Campaign. - Story focused
    The Dwarven Tale - Hack 'N Slash
  • Options
    sourcreamkingsourcreamking Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 268 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013

Anyway, Speljammer isn't sci-fi, or even space opera setting.

Ships are magical and travels are made via phlogiston space. Planetar systems are enclosed in crystal spheres. It's purely fantasy setting based on how cosmos was imagined in Medieval period.

Spelljamming ships can look really strange, but most of them looks like airships and is wooden, have sails and steering helms. The whole thing plays more like a high-seas swashbuckling setting.

Planescape doesn't count. Only Forgotten Realms, Dragonlance & Greyhawk.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Individual quests:
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Planescape doesn't count. Only Forgotten Realms, Dragonlance & Greyhawk.
    With the same logic I could ignore FR setting doing making quests, for not liking it. Because any time I'd take Oerth instead, as Toril number of Mary Sues and flimsy panteon simply repels me. Alas, it would turn rather silly.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Barrier Peaks module art
    adventurersinspace.jpg
    barrierpeaks_16.gif
    Some 3.5e rules conversions, courtesy wotc http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/d20m/20060505a
    and 4e, also courtesy wotc (though you need to be a DnD Insider to get the full article)
    http://wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/dra/201204bazaar
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    With the same logic I could ignore FR setting doing making quests, for not liking it. Because any time I'd take Oerth instead, as Toril number of Mary Sues and flimsy panteon simply puts me off. Alas, it would turn rather silly.

This is just me being silly. People should do whatever they like. But my preferences are high fantasy. Old school style... :cool:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Individual quests:
  • Options
    pixelb0xpixelb0x Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    ellindar1 wrote: »
    ...Took Chili's advice to make a 17 minute quest but put all the work into it I would have a full blown quest. Sure the story is shorter and its made as a daily, but the assets sit at 1482. Its at 1500 plays and rising every day with a 4.02 adjusted. With tons of comments about subscribing, can't wait for what's next, etc. So what can you take from it?

This is what I propose... take whatever longer quest you want to make and make a prologue to it. Put just as much effort into the prologue as you would your full blown quest. Introduce the story, hook the player and get your subscribers so that your full quest you've got players for. I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing, and here's my thoughts on why:

AUthors of books do this all the time. They write a prologue hoping it will get you hooked. Also, how many times would you want to start an hour long quest without knowing at least something about it or the author. Wouldn't it be much more appealing to you to play something you know won't take that long to get a taste of what the author is providing? I think we could use this as authors to 1. give the current player base what they want initially 2. build a list of subscribers 3. get the real quests you want to provide shown to more than the 50 odd people. ...
    ^^This.

Couldn't agree more. I've caught myself several times questioning whether or not to try out a foundry quest that the avg. play time is around an hour. If I've played another quest by that author, and I like their work, then it's a no-brainer for me...I play the quest. But if I'm not familiar, well...I could be in for an hour of bad puns, poor plot, and over-stacked encounters. I think it's sound advice to make shorter intro quests to your larger campaign.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Barrier Peaks module art
    adventurersinspace.jpg
    barrierpeaks_16.gif
    Some 3.5e rules conversions, courtesy wotc http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/d20m/20060505a
    and 4e, also courtesy wotc (though you need to be a DnD Insider to get the full article)
    http://wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/dra/201204bazaar

Blah. Glad I never tried this. Looks horrible.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Individual quests:
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    You don't get to ding people for not being old school enough when you just didn't like the old school they are emulating. :)
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Blah. Glad I never tried this. Looks horrible.
    The module was written by Gary Gygax himself, and Dungeon magazine voted it one of the top 5 modules of all time. It was run at conventions, it's wickedly difficult. You need a good DM.
  • Options
    karitrkaritr Member Posts: 662 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Can I stick my oar in? strictly as a player and not an author/creator of UGC of any kind: I've poked my head into the toolset and played around with trying to get a house sitting flush to the environment with no luck, so I have an inkling of how much time and patience must go into creating these modules.

Anyway, my points...

There is a strange sort of paradox going on in this thread. On the one hand there are people like the OP claiming some of the more popular quests are, in a nutshell, trash and yet at the same time they strive for their quests to be as popular. When you get as popular - and you will, if your quest is worthy enough (more on that further down) - does that mean your quest becomes trash too?

Then there are those who shrug off the lack of numbers claiming they wouldn't want to be popular anyway, because people who play the popular quests are not their target audience. Well, I have some good news for you. People like me who wouldn't have been playing NWO at all if it weren't for you guys (I was still deciding whether I should stay or go when I come across TiLT42's wonderful Hidden Blade quest and all dithering went out the window) know there are Foundry forums where we can come and find out about newly released quests and then go try them out in game! We then go and recommend them to others on general gaming and guild forums and that word of mouth is a powerful tool. So maybe, just maybe, you need to listen to feedback objectively and make a few changes that will help your creation get higher up the list.

Whatever genre you or your audience prefer, UGC all need to meet certain criteria:
    1. The overview must give the player some idea of what to expect. If I am entering a dungeon designed for a party, please warn me beforehand (most get this basic info out, but I have been burned on too many *cough* over challenging dungeons).
    2. In the same vein, make your quests completable. I've gotten to the end of many enjoyable adventures only to find the last encounter is way beyond anything my poor lonesome character can endure and there isn't much of anything more frustrating, as not being able to complete means I didn't receive a pop-up asking for feedback.
    3. Polish and polish and polish again. The odd typo is forgivable, poor spelling and grammar is not. If I get an item to use during my adventure, don't give me one obscure chance to use it or the moment is forever gone. Don't have the NPCs who I have spent the last in game hour with refer to my character as "Hero". I've played enough UGC now to know the tool allows them to recognise my name (I imagine at some point my character said "Call me Kari").

And having said that I go back to what I said in my opening. I really appreciate all the artists who strive to put out content for us, you are what keeps me in the game. If any of you wants a hand testing content, shoot me a PM and I will be happy to do so objectively.

Special thanks:
    TiLT42
    MRTHEBOZER
    lovepeas
    dzogen
    gildus
    KelpPlankton
  • Options
    dzogendzogen Member Posts: 550 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    karitr wrote: »
    Can I stick my oar in? strictly as a player and not an author/creator of UGC of any kind: I've poked my head into the toolset and played around with trying to get a house sitting flush to the environment with no luck, so I have an inkling of how much time and patience must go into creating these modules.

Anyway, my points...

There is a strange sort of paradox going on in this thread. On the one hand there are people like the OP claiming some of the more popular quests are, in a nutshell, trash and yet at the same time they strive for their quests to be as popular. When you get as popular - and you will, if your quest is worthy enough (more on that further down) - does that mean your quest becomes trash too?

Then there are those who shrug off the lack of numbers claiming they wouldn't want to be popular anyway, because people who play the popular quests are not their target audience. Well, I have some good news for you. People like me who wouldn't have been playing NWO at all if it weren't for you guys (I was still deciding whether I should stay or go when I come across TiLT42's wonderful Hidden Blade quest and all dithering went out the window) know there are Foundry forums where we can come and find out about newly released quests and then go try them out in game! We then go and recommend them to others on general gaming and guild forums and that word of mouth is a powerful tool. So maybe, just maybe, you need to listen to feedback objectively and make a few changes that will help your creation get higher up the list.

Whatever genre you or your audience prefer, UGC all need to meet certain criteria:
    1. The overview must give the player some idea of what to expect. If I am entering a dungeon designed for a party, please warn me beforehand (most get this basic info out, but I have been burned on too many *cough* over challenging dungeons).
    2. In the same vein, make your quests completable. I've gotten to the end of many enjoyable adventures only to find the last encounter is way beyond anything my poor lonesome character can endure and there isn't much of anything more frustrating, as not being able to complete means I didn't receive a pop-up asking for feedback.
    3. Polish and polish and polish again. The odd typo is forgivable, poor spelling and grammar is not. If I get an item to use during my adventure, don't give me one obscure chance to use it or the moment is forever gone. Don't have the NPCs who I have spent the last in game hour with refer to my character as "Hero". I've played enough UGC now to know the tool allows them to recognise my name (I imagine at some point my character said "Call me Kari").

And having said that I go back to what I said in my opening. I really appreciate all the artists who strive to put out content for us, you are what keeps me in the game. If any of you wants a hand testing content, shoot me a PM and I will be happy to do so objectively.

Special thanks:
    TiLT42
    MRTHEBOZER
    lovepeas
    dzogen
    gildus
    KelpPlankton

Exactly, man. I agree totally. 100% yes.

You should continue to try your hand at the Foundry. It sounds like you know what's up.
    Dzogen, Moonstar Agent
    Bill's Tavern | The 27th Level | Secret Agent 34
  • Options
    edited June 2013

Anyway, Spelljammer isn't sci-fi, or even space opera setting.

Spelljammer is in a Forgotten Realms classics graphic novel, featuring Forgotten Realms characters, in Forgotten Realms settings. Don't tell me Waterdeep or Selune are from Planescape. Also, the ship in Jammers looks just like the Andalite battleships described in the Animorphs novels I read as a kid, which is pretty darn futuristic.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    wuhsin wrote: »
    Spelljammer is in a Forgotten Realms classics graphic novel, featuring Forgotten Realms characters, in Forgotten Realms settings. Don't tell me Waterdeep or Selune are from Planescape. Also, the ship in Jammers looks just like the Andalite battleships described in the Animorphs novels I read as a kid, which is pretty darn futuristic.

Spelljammer is general name for the whole franchise of RPG PnP products describing phlogiston ships and is not exclusive to any single book or graphic novel. It was written as a bridge setting between worlds of Krynn (Dragonlance), Oerth (Greyhawk) and Toril (Forgotten realms).

Fluff like books and comics with this trademark came later.

It's simply set in the same multiverse as all three D&D worlds (and Planescape).

In this setting spelljamming ships can be pretty much anything, from floating cities to actual sail ships, as long as it has magical helm attached.

http://cityofdoors.wordpress.com/2008/05/23/common-spelljamming-ships/

Know your settings before making adventures because otherwise you're releasing things like Bigby being a dwarf, and Mordenkainen not having his iconic look (well, he has two iconic looks, but both are quite similar, the second one is simply bald version).
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Spelljammer is general name for the whole franchise of RPG PnP products describing phlogiston ships and is not exclusive to any single book or graphic novel. It was written as a bridge setting between worlds of Krynn (Dragonlance), Oerth (Greyhawk) and Toril (Forgotten realms).

Fluff like books and comics with this trademark came later.

It's simply set in the same multiverse as all three D&D worlds.

So really it's not much different than the crossover stuff they did with having the most famous wizards from different realms meet up occasionally. Still, it's a part of the Forgotten Realms' history now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    dzogendzogen Member Posts: 550 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    1) I can't really answer that. Not only can I not say for sure but it's really not an appropriate thing for me to disclose. I can only tell you the staff members I do speak to often enjoy the Foundry Content immensely.

2) There's a post here somewhere but I haven't been able to find it. Basically it's kind of a mix between what the community likes and what the staff likes. Sometimes the staff will highlight something they really enjoyed and other times they'll choose from some of the top rated and/or played content. There was a bit more specifics in the post but I can't find it at the moment.

I'm not sure what the rulings on Featured Quests are but the definitions of D&D are pretty loose. They don't have to be serious quests or cite any specific D&D Locations in order to be featured.
    However they will have to fall into the general theme of D&D and not be something like Harry Potter.

If you can make a non-D&D Topic fit into a D&D theme, more power to you. Some great storylines such as the Halo Storylines are actually analogies of completely different topics of discussion and can certainly be used effectively in NW and D&D content as well.

It's very unlikely that Featured Content would ever be something that can't fit into the mold of a D&D Theme though. No spaceships or inter-galactic travel please.

1) ok, (but if you ever get drunk and change your mind, let us know)

2) ok, good to know. there certainly is a big advantage then of just sticking within the d&d theme if potentially being featured one day is important to you.

in summary, please:
    1) implement the ambisinisterr plan to expand quest time popularity
    2) implement the elindarr plan to add unique drops and make foundrys worthwhile for endgame chars
    3) implement to dzogen plan to give authors some creative say in unique weaponry (names/ designs?)
    4) add gelatinous cube costumes, because i think we all can agree that none of this other stuff matters without gelatinous cubes
    Dzogen, Moonstar Agent
    Bill's Tavern | The 27th Level | Secret Agent 34
  • Options
    sideraxsiderax Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    It's very unlikely that Featured Content would ever be something that can't fit into the mold of a D&D Theme though. No spaceships or inter-galactic travel please.

My french Spelljammer quest is Featured this week \o/ (Un voyage celeste - Part 2)

1hd0r54l.jpg
    And here we are, in space (Tears of Selune)
    @Sideria

My french Spelljammer Campaign : Une epopee celeste
  • Options
    xhritxhrit Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    siderax wrote: »
    My french Spelljammer quest is Featured this week \o/ (Un voyage celeste - Part 2)

1hd0r54l.jpg

******, I wish I could speak french. I might have to try playing it anyway, just to see your environments.

In any case, it looks really nice. The last quest in my campaign will be in the Tears of Selune; the player only just found a ship... they have not found a crew yet.
  • Options
    ellindar1ellindar1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    dzogen wrote: »
    1) ok, (but if you ever get drunk and change your mind, let us know)

2) ok, good to know. there certainly is a big advantage then of just sticking within the d&d theme if potentially being featured one day is important to you.

in summary, please:
    1) implement the ambisinisterr plan to expand quest time popularity
    2) implement the elindarr plan to add unique drops and make foundrys worthwhile for endgame chars
    3) implement to dzogen plan to give authors some creative say in unique weaponry (names/ designs?)
    4) add gelatinous cube costumes, because i think we all can agree that none of this other stuff matters without gelatinous cubes

^^ - this please
    Halls_Sig.jpg
  • Options
    visigoth18visigoth18 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 371 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    but of course players can't be rewarded simply on the amount of time they spent on the quest otherwise players would purposely just sit AFK to bump up the completion time.

It's all really a catch 22 issue. It's hard to reward fairly for one side without breaking the other. :(
    :/ I hadn't thought of that >.< **** (Cries out of frustration) I just want a system that works amazingly...

siderax wrote: »

That's Awesome!
    jlTYaLC.gif
    1.jpglXK5k1F.png
  • Options
    visigoth18visigoth18 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 371 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    There is a strange sort of paradox going on in this thread. On the one hand there are people like the OP claiming some of the more popular quests are, in a nutshell, trash and yet at the same time they strive for their quests to be as popular.
    :] your post for the most part is excellent, thanks for taking the time to pop your head in. and yes that's very true "most of what was said in the OP has just been thrown out as a bit too much of a 'Rant' but the OP did still bring up some good points 'and that's mainly what this thread has evolved into discussing' well at least that's how I approach it :D"
    The odd typo is forgivable, poor spelling and grammar is not.
    This saddens me :,(
    If I get an item to use during my adventure, don't give me one obscure chance to use it or the moment is forever gone.
    I don't think that should be considered as something that needs to be in the "set criteria"

other then that I enjoyed your response very much :D

and just to wrap up, clarify and reiterate. the thorn in my paw is [as the current reward system is set up, playing anything outside of the "Goldilocks" bracket is basically pointless "except for those few who enjoy the story/ quest enough to still play it with little to no reward vs time spent when compared to the other quest that fit the "Goldilocks" bracket"
    jlTYaLC.gif
    1.jpglXK5k1F.png
  • Options
    karitrkaritr Member Posts: 662 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Hey Visigoth, I hope you didn't misunderstand my point. To clarify, I wouldn't expect everyone who creates UGC to have perfect spelling and grammar themselves, but I would expect that they proof-read or have other people proof-read their quest as part of the testing. A story littered with grammatical errors breaks immersion at best and at worst means that great story inside your head is not reaching your audience.

You probably spend several hours creating environments down to the last fine detail. May I ask why you think the prose and dialogue deserve less attention?