test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Non-Creative Quests vs Popularity

Comments

• visigoth18visigoth18 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 371 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    dzogen wrote: »
    Boom! lol I enjoyed Bills Tavern, but still for the life of me don't get why "The 27th Level" is liked (Raises his shoulders and laughs)
    what can you do about the taste of the "Mainstream" [In a world...Where American Idol...Is rated amazingly popular] nothing lol
    jlTYaLC.gif
    1.jpglXK5k1F.png
  • dzogendzogen Member Posts: 550 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    visigoth18 wrote: »
    Boom! lol I enjoyed Bills Tavern, but still for the life of me don't get why "The 27th Level" is liked (Raises his shoulders and laughs)
    what can you do about the taste of the "Mainstream" [In a world...Where American Idol...Is rated amazingly popular] nothing lol

While I'm glad you liked BT, what you said about 27th level is a perfect example of what I mean when I say you guys disrespect your audience.

Why can't you just not like something. Why justify it's relative popularity by the mainstream has bad taste? You dislike it, and many others like it (MMORPG gave it a mithral star). Who makes you the arbiter of good taste? Why trash reviewers' preferences as inferior?

The elitism in this community is so bizarre to me because you want your quest played by lots of people who you think are idiots.

PS. Anyone who likes interesting and quirky quests, try secret agent 34. I believe it's the only foundry in Neverwinter that has a functional elevator and levitation boots.
    Dzogen, Moonstar Agent
    Bill's Tavern | The 27th Level | Secret Agent 34
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited June 2013
    I want what all authors want, for their content to be played and enjoyed.

If your quests is enjoyed for being the type of content that players actually enjoy then more power to you.

I actually did enjoy Bill's Tavern as a goofy fun storyline kill zone. I have not yet played your content Visigoth but I will do so tonight if I have time.

However believing that the game was designed to only support 15-20 minute missions is outright incorrect. The Foundry is there to create content that you like for like minded players to like. Long or short.
    It's the daily reward system which drives players to play 15 minutes quests. While Bill's Tavern is a great quest it's not the be all and end all of quests. It is a short little killing raid with a fun little story that happens to fit right into the mold of what is encouraged by the Foundry event and Daily Foundry reward.

I'm not saying that to be mean. I like Bill's Tavern but as it stands it is a farm quest. My own friends and even I will play it four times over during a Foundry Event or just to get four foundry quests completed. That's not a sign of it being great, it's a sign of players doing what the game encourages.

If, at the very least, the Foundry Daily was changed to be 15, 30, 45 and 60 Average Playtime minutes a large portion of the players would be freed up to choose between doing four fifteen minute quests, two thirty minute quests or one sixty minute quest.

I'm sure Bill's Tavern will still be a top quest after such a change because it is simple and quick to do. But that doesn't mean that's how all quests should be. That's not the way all of the players want to play. That's how the system encourages all players to play.

Now I'll let you have your jab at the OP dzogen. Now it's said and done but he edited his post long ago. Drop it.
    It wasn't right to call you out as he did and it seems he accepted that since he edited the post on his own accord. The point he created the thread to make is still a valid.
    Feel free to express your own views but do not make this about him using your quest as an example.
  • rottensw0rdrottensw0rd Member Posts: 31
    edited June 2013
    ~WHY?~

~Well because you waste way to much time (if you see the other daily missions you will see that the maximum you spend on them is 45 minutes on dungeon)~

~PVP? maximum~ ~20 minutes~

~Dungeons? Maximum~ ~50 minutes~

~Foundry? maximum~ ~unknown~

~You need to complete 4 huge missions who take way to much time for what? for 4k diamonds? no its not worth!!~

~So my suggestion the daily foundry to give 7-10k diamonds!!~

~Hell i was playing one foundry with bugged map and i waste 1 hour there!!~

~P.S sorry for english ~
  • visigoth18visigoth18 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 371 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    what you said about 27th level is a perfect example of what I mean when I say you guys disrespect your audience.

Why can't you just not like something. Why justify it by the mainstream has bad taste?
    yeah I tend to think this, that's kind of my definition of not liking something :] If I don't like something theirs a reason for it, and sense I don't like it I find it harder to understand why others do "Like football"
    Who makes you the arbiter of good taste?
    Well I'm kinda of the opinion everyone thinks 'their' sense of taste is 'Good taste' so when I'm talking about my opinion on what I think is good taste 'I made my self the Arbiter' XD
    Why trash reviewers' preferences as inferior?
    well I'm not "Trashing" it I'm politely commenting on my opinion of it :D and giving an example of something that's popular in the mainstream that I have no clue why its popular "just like The 27th level" which I played and left a review "like a normal member of the community dose" I'm not maliciously putting it down Only commenting in an open forum about my opinion "like the rest of you" ;p
    jlTYaLC.gif
    1.jpglXK5k1F.png
  • edge1986edge1986 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 647 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    It tells you in the description the average time the foundry mission takes. Only pick the 15-20 min ones.
  • wuhsinwuhsin Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    It's the daily reward system which drives players to play 15 minutes quests.

+1 - 10 characters
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • giggliatogiggliato Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    edge1986 wrote: »
    It tells you in the description the average time the foundry mission takes. Only pick the 15-20 min ones.

The OP is on the right track, but the AD reward for Foundries should perhaps be based upon average length of completion...

There are some issues here but this should reward those who take on lore heavy missions.
    edited June 2013
    If, at the very least, the Foundry Daily was changed to be 15, 30, 45 and 60 Average Playtime minutes a large portion of the players would be freed up to choose between doing four fifteen minute quests, two thirty minute quests or one sixty minute quest.
    I like that Idea, I cam too the same conclusion :D lol
    jlTYaLC.gif
    1.jpglXK5k1F.png
  • zahinderzahinder Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    STO moved from daily quests to a much superior system based on average time directly.

I'm hoping NW is just getting around to that.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
    edited June 2013
    I want what all authors want, for their content to be played and enjoyed.

If your quests is enjoyed for being the type of content that players actually enjoy then more power to you.

I actually did enjoy Bill's Tavern as a goofy fun storyline kill zone. I have not yet played your content Visigoth but I will do so tonight if I have time.

However believing that the game was designed to only support 15-20 minute missions is outright incorrect. The Foundry is there to create content that you like for like minded players to like. Long or short.
    It's the daily reward system which drives players to play 15 minutes quests. While Bill's Tavern is a great quest it's not the be all and end all of quests. It is a short little killing raid with a fun little story that happens to fit right into the mold of what is encouraged by the Foundry event and Daily Foundry reward.

I'm not saying that to be mean. I like Bill's Tavern but as it stands it is a farm quest. My own friends and even I will play it four times over during a Foundry Event or just to get four foundry quests completed. That's not a sign of it being great, it's a sign of players doing what the game encourages.

I'm sure Bill's Tavern will still be a top quest after such a change because it is simple and quick to do. But that doesn't mean that's how all quests should be. That's not the way all of the players want to play. That's how the system encourages all players to play.

Now I'll let you have your jab at the OP dzogen. Now it's said and done but he edited his post long ago. Drop it.
    It wasn't right to call you out as he did and it seems he accepted that since he edited the post on his own accord. The point he created the thread to make is still a valid.
    Feel free to express your own views but do not make this about him using your quest as an example.

Having 4 options (15,30,45,and 60) is fine, but for the daily farmer the one closest to 60 will become the new obvious mini-max choice. So to me while a good idea, creates new ones.

There is no perfect solution as long as there are dailies and time requirements, it will encourage one way of play over another.

The bigger issue and where the solution might lie is by design Foundry does not encourage lvl 60s to use it as a viable endgame progression method...given that a big problem of MMOs is solved with foundry...namely evergreen endgame content. Players need to be able to get good gear for their efforts here.

This is the area where I would recommend focusing - enable quests of all type to drop different type tokens or foundry seals with a higher percentage of chance to drop based on length or level of the foundry author. A mix of Foundries would be required to redeem for epic level gear. How cool would it be for DM's to allocate one of a kind unique epic gears (with pre-specified stat allocation so it wouldn't be OP)... Bill's Hammer of Zombie Implosion anyone?

Finally, for you and many others BT is a farm quest, I know this from feedback, and that's fine. Soon the speedrunners will break it as they broke 27th level (which I had to fix twice). But even though you and your friends view it that way now, I know there are many others who see it as a well designed, funny quest that doesn't take itself too seriously. That's all I really wanted it to be in the first place, and to make some people laugh along the way (like all my quests)

And yes, I purposely created it within the context of the system Cryptic created. That to me is part of the fun and challenge. If and when the system evolves, and I'm still playing, I will enjoy creating new stories in new parameters.
    Dzogen, Moonstar Agent
    edited June 2013
    I personally found BT and Secret Agent 34 ... ok.

But I don't feel any need to impugn Dzogen's character over not finding the same things as funny or not making stuff 'good enough.' Whatever, if people enjoy playing it, great! There should be something for everyone.

This judgemental crud that I've been seeing lately is just wearying.

Everyone shut up and go make missions.

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • ellindar1ellindar1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    zahinder wrote: »

But I don't feel any need to impugn Dzogen's character over not finding the same things as funny or not making stuff 'good enough.' Whatever, if people enjoy playing it, great! There should be something for everyone.

You can't tell the community mod to shut up !!! LOL I do agree with you though. It all is very wearying.
    Halls_Sig.jpg
    edited June 2013
    edge1986 wrote: »

lol, yep that's our gripe :]
    jlTYaLC.gif
    1.jpglXK5k1F.png
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited June 2013
    I think you mis-understand my proposition Dzogen. ;)

Right now there are four types of Foundry Daily Missions: 1, 2, 3, or 4.
    It doesn't take time into account. Just complete a set number. So as it stands the system rewards players best for completing four 15 minute quests. Well I'd rather they just translate that from 4 Missions to "At least 60 Average Minutes" (worded better).

If you want to do a five minute quest, go for it! Get it marked off the daily. If you want to do twelve five minute average play time quests be my guest! If you want to do one sixty, feel free. And if you want to do four fifteens you're good to go too. Yeah players might like the simplicity of only doing one sixty minute quest but it's certainly a lot less likely to occur than longer quests being played right this minute.
    Reward players for their time regardless of how they spend it.

And believe me I know full well there's a pink elephant in the room and it goes above and beyond Foundry Missions.
    Right now the main item players see as having worth is purple gear. Players have stated they want dungeons to be more rewarding because right now if it's not during the DD Event then they often don't get any rewards of note.

The issue is how to make items outside of epic drops and some rare drops valuable? Just tweaking the drop rates will deflate the value of higher end drops so the question becomes what could be given out which truly would be rewarding?
    That's a question I don't even pretend to have a clue to answer. I just hope the development team is considering what could be dropped of value beyond epic gear.

Solving this problem would solve the second half to the foundry mission issues...
    But the first half is to be unbiased in which foundry missions players should do for the daily reward.

Out of curiousity, what is the system STO Adopted?
    <Can't get interested in anything Star Trek if his life depended on it>
    edited June 2013

Thanks for not impunging me.

Peace out.
    Dzogen, Moonstar Agent
  • sourcreamkingsourcreamking Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 268 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Hmmm, I guess I see why some people prefer quick quests and fast rewards, but at the end of the day this isn't "American Idol", "Paradise Hotel" or "Big Brother"... It's D&D! It's a digital version, yeah, but imagine all the players set up for a LIVE game with dice and paper - roll up characters and getting into the mood - and the DM throws you an insanely short quest that takes five minutes and tells you you're done... Roleplaying is about storytelling and character development. If you want your quick fix of XP this is not for you. I would like to see the spirit of Dungeons & Dragons live on in a digital world, despite that ADD kids nowadays don't have the patience to read dialogue. The sad thing is that all companies need profit to be sustainable, so they have to conform to the player base. And it seems the majority of players of this game has never played the "oldschool" D&D, and therefore treat this as just another MMO.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The entire campaign can be found here: NWS-DQS27OINC

Individual quests:
    1. Heeding the Call - NW-DMJCDZ5XJ
    2. Bored of the Rings - NW-DFWE3XR6W
    3. Draconian Ways - NW-DUNZEJG2J
    4. When All is Said and Done... - Look at the picture ;)
    edited June 2013
    STO's system was mentioned before the flames erupted.

Basically, if I recall right, you simply get a reward based on average time for eligible quests (15 mins minimum). I don't think there's even a limit -- if you really want to run foundry missions all day, more power to you. (It's not the best use of your time for grinding, but... hey)

• savaikunsavaikun Member Posts: 214 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    STO's system was mentioned before the flames erupted.

Basically, if I recall right, you simply get a reward based on average time for eligible quests (15 mins minimum). I don't think there's even a limit -- if you really want to run foundry missions all day, more power to you. (It's not the best use of your time for grinding, but... hey)

...the hell is STO?
  • ellindar1ellindar1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I think you mis-understand my proposition Dzogen. ;)

Right now there are four types of Foundry Daily Missions: 1, 2, 3, or 4.
    It doesn't take time into account. Just complete a set number. So as it stands the system rewards players best for completing four 15 minute quests. Well I'd rather they just translate that from 4 Missions to "At least 60 Average Minutes" (worded better).

If you want to do a five minute quest, go for it! Get it marked off the daily. If you want to do twelve five minute average play time quests be my guest! If you want to do one sixty, feel free. And if you want to do four fifteens you're good to go too. Yeah players might like the simplicity of only doing one sixty minute quest but it's certainly a lot less likely to occur than longer quests being played right this minute.
    Reward players for their time regardless of how they spend it.

And believe me I know full well there's a pink elephant in the room and it goes above and beyond Foundry Missions.
    Right now the main item players see as having worth is purple gear. Players have stated they want dungeons to be more rewarding because right now if it's not during the DD Event then they often don't get any rewards of note.

The issue is how to make items outside of epic drops and some rare drops valuable? Just tweaking the drop rates will deflate the value of higher end drops so the question becomes what could be given out which truly would be rewarding?
    That's a question I don't even pretend to have a clue to answer. I just hope the development team is considering what could be dropped of value beyond epic gear.

Solving this problem would solve the second half to the foundry mission issues...
    But the first half is to be unbiased in which foundry missions players should do for the daily reward.

Out of curiousity, what is the system STO Adopted?
    <Can't get interested in anything Star Trek if his life depended on it>

Ya know what would be cool. Have a percentage chance to get a mount drop from a foundry quest end chest. The mount is only available this way. Talk about getting ALL of the player base to start running foundry's lol. You could even do it so that once you run a foundry quest, if that quest didn't drop the mount for you, that quest will never drop the mount for that character. Encouraging them to play different quests until they get the drop. The percentage chance would obviously be crazy low and just a tiny smidgen higher for longer quests. (but just barely) so that the chance of getting it from running 4 short ones or one long one is the same.

Something like that would really get players running foundry quests, and not just the same ones everyday. (all players love a cool new mount!) And after quite awhile, you could make that mount unavailable anymore and make a new one! Also the mount wouldn't be account wide so that you need to do this on each character you want it on :)

Maybe not a perfect solution by any means, but really would start getting all sorts of quests new plays?

Edit: thinking thru this you could also do this via achievement based. Complete 100 *unique* quests of less than 20 minute duration. Complete 50 unique quests with a duration of at least 30 minutes. Complete 25 quests with a minimum duration of one hour. Achievement gained, mount. Something like that anyways lol.
    Halls_Sig.jpg
  • theshadowlivestheshadowlives Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I go to play a quick round of Bill's Tavern, not there. None of dzogen foundry quest are listed. Then I find this thread. I hope his foundry's weren't removed, because of this BS. His foundry's are enjoyable and suits my needs with time management, work and a overly busy schedule.
    edited June 2013
    I go to play a quick round of Bill's Tavern, not there. None of dzogen foundry quest are listed. Then I find this thread. I hope his foundry's weren't removed, because of this BS. His foundry's are enjoyable and suits my needs with time management, work and a overly busy schedule.

Thanks. I dont know. I dont have access to the game. If this is the case then dumb move on their part and I will certainly quit.
    Dzogen, Moonstar Agent
    edited June 2013
    Thanks. I dont know. I dont have access to the game. If this is the case then dumb move on their part and I will certainly quit.

Relax, its nothing that diabolical lol. After the foundry fixes today where sound was fixed Cryptic literally has to republish ALL quests. His just aren't done yet. (on a side note, you can go in an republish yourself as well)
    Halls_Sig.jpg
  • theshadowlivestheshadowlives Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Snooping around, another thread says foundry quest are being re-published due to the recent update. Hope to see them back up soon.
    edited June 2013
    Thanks I figired I mustve pissed someone off.
    Dzogen, Moonstar Agent
  • maerwinmaerwin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Why not just remove the daily altogether? 250AD per quest? How can anyone think it's actually profitable? I don't get what everyone sees about the daily. By the time (hour) you get your 1000 daily AD, you could have...

- PvPed, buy an item for glory, sell -> ~15k AD + get occasional blue items for ~400-500.
    - ran through almost any dungeon. You won an enchantment? Cool, that's a thousand for you right there? Won an item? Well, that goes from several thousands to hundreds of thousands
    - ran a skirmish. I don't play those much, but from what I've heard from my guildies, they are quite profitable

If you do those the first time of day, you even get the same 1k AD as a bonus.
    Now, if I wanted to buy equip for my character on AH, that's about 400-500k AD for a piece. Play 1600-2000 15 min. quests for it, and get my cool Shadow Weaver's boots after 15 months? Suuuure
    Someone care to explain what would drive people to play a foundry quest if they don't enjoy it? It doesn't make sense (yes, there are a few green drops as well, but nothing to write home about). Why would someone so obsessed with effectivity (do 4 shortest quest possible), do something as ineffective as daily Foundry? And yet, people do it
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    NW-DMFGWPBN3 The Lost City - Review Thread
  • savaikunsavaikun Member Posts: 214 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Can't help but notice that over half of the postings within this thread have magically 'vanished' or disappeared...I am sensing some sort of -behind the scenes- stuff goin on! LOL
    edited June 2013
    savaikun wrote: »
    Can't help but notice that over half of the postings within this thread have magically 'vanished' or disappeared...I am sensing some sort of -behind the scenes- stuff goin on! LOL

Lol, I just went back thru and like half the messages did magically disappear. Now that's funny.
    Halls_Sig.jpg
  • almostcoolalmostcool Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    That's because it turned into a flame-war between two people and some others getting caught in the cross-fire.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Spellthief Trials
    By @Stebss
    Short Code: NW-DM900IFHK
    Tired of Being the Hero: NW-DGTOU4N94
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Member Posts: 3,085
    edited June 2013
    maerwin wrote: »
    Why not just remove the daily altogether? 250AD per quest? How can anyone think it's actually profitable? I don't get what everyone sees about the daily. By the time (hour) you get your 1000 daily AD, you could have...
    - PvPed, buy an item for glory, sell -> ~15k AD + get occasional blue items for ~400-500.
    - ran through almost any dungeon. You won an enchantment? Cool, that's a thousand for you right there? Won an item? Well, that goes from several thousands to hundreds of thousands
    - ran a skirmish. I don't play those much, but from what I've heard from my guildies, they are quite profitable

Because sometimes player needs a choice for daily when s/he don't want to group and spend gold on potions and injury kits. It's better to have more options. Personally I find dunegons and skirmishes after 30 lvl simply tiresome and not fun. Unless I have to play it for daily. And PvP never was very interesting for me.