Options

Endgame Thaumaturge Guide

Comments

• Options
    shgthshgth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    schulz87 wrote: »
    maybe now its balance making it thaum a viable build too
    Thaum was a viable build already. I have both(tiefling renegade & human thaumaturge) and I prefer thaum myself. :)
    - Shagath, VoTF
    Previous guilds: Double Deviants, Orum, Sandwitches, Dragon Order of Arcanix and many many more.
    Hope I find some old friends!
  • Options
    diliriadiliria Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I wonder if there's a limit to power stacking or it should just be the main focus no matter how much.
    I got 2 set in bank with whom i go to around 5200 power, but i think it's a bit overkill.
    Do power scale that well with cw spells?
  • Options
    schulz87schulz87 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    shgth wrote: »
    Thaum was a viable build already. I have both(tiefling renegade & human thaumaturge) and I prefer thaum myself. :)

yeah viable but most CW chose to be renegade cause of those OP paragon feats, now that it has been nerf people would have more diversity builds :)

anyway lets stick to thaum topic
  • Options
    runicfirunicfi Member Posts: 269 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    schulz87 wrote: »
    yeah viable but most CW chose to be renegade cause of those OP paragon feats

The Chaos Magic -keystone Feat of Renegade has been bugged since the beginning, and in its current state ( still bugged? ) its worse than the Thaumaturge one. The only Feat that made any real difference is the Critical Severity granted by Phantasmal Destruction. I haven't lost to a single Renegade CW in damage done, not once, and I can pull off enough crowd control for any situation required. The 2 next best Feats, Reapers Touch and Nightmare Wizardry are included in the Thaumaturge build.

A lot of people say that Renegade is about buffing your group, and Thaumaturge is about damage for yourself. However both builds grant combat advantage ( Feat included in Thaumaturge ) and both trees grant one buff next to that. Renegade grants the bugged Chaos Magic, Thaumaturge grants Assailing Force. But then, Thaumaturge also grants Elemental Empowerment.

Bonuses to group:

Renegade: 2
    Thaumaturge: 3

In addition to that, Thaumaturge also grants more damage for the CW. Especially so after the patch.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lupita170lupita170 Member Posts: 122 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    "Stats: Power > Crit > Recovery"

Stopped reading after i saw this to be honest.
  • Options
    divinebeastdivinebeast Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    lupita170 wrote: »

And why is that? I've been using this and end up with most damage dealt and most enemies slain in each and every dungeon/skirmish so far.
  • Options
    copticonecopticone Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    And why is that? I've been using this and end up with most damage dealt and most enemies slain in each and every dungeon/skirmish so far.

It's clear that you're not running end-game content. First of all, Power is the least effective stat point for point. Two, no one doing end-game content runs skirmishes. I am not being arrogant, but when we're discussing stats and dps, we need to have a point of reference, and that is end-game T2s. Third, it's not possible to out dps a properly geared/feated/played TR.
    Check out my personal Nerf Proof T2 Thaumaturge Build.
  • Options
    kidbskidbs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 294
    edited June 2013
    Why has non one mentioned armor pen? Power is one of our worst stats.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    copticone wrote: »
    Third, it's not possible to out dps a properly geared/feated/played TR.

Wrong.

Bye.

Other than that, have fun without Power.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    frznvimesfrznvimes Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The main thing I see that was nice about renegade over thaumaturge was that you're not tied to ice spells and CoI, giving you a bit more flexibility to change up your build without having your feats go to waste.
    Of course, now there are even fewer spells that I might want to take instead of CoI and tabbed Chill Strike.

I'm not sure if it's been discussed, but any thoughts on Frozen Power Transfer?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    runicfi wrote: »
    Wrong.

Bye.

Other than that, have fun without Power.

Taking statements out of context, because you don't want to show others what you're being criticized about, just proves your inexperience.
    You want to stick with your subpar Wiz, running low content, topping score card at the end, thinking that's exactly how things will be in end-game content? Go right ahead. But don't expect people who have been running T2s for a long time to just see your inaccurate comments and not say anything.
  • Options
    zierzozierzo Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Feat: Reaper's Touch: This feat's effectiveness has been reduced.

Still a must have if the reduction is slight, if it's huge the build will be changed.

As it is widely known it has been a 50% decrease, for a 15% more damage at rank5. In case they dont change their mind on PTR and goes live like this, do you think is still worth just to reach to nightmare wizardry? Just got Assailing Force and I dont see better feats to invest more in the thaumaturge tree, neither the tier 1 feats from opressor.
    Only option could be transcended master if Shard of endless avalanche turns out to be a more reliable power after patch as some people are implying after trying out it on the test realm

Saving up the feat points until I decide myself, but I think is still the best alternative feats to raise after you are done with the thaumaturge tree.

Thanks you
  • Options
    assassin83assassin83 Member, Banned Users Posts: 276 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Transcended master is useful for +20% ice rays damage, in pvp
  • Options
    sahak2sahak2 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    i ran a Renegade build because I’m a tiefling and tempest magic doesn't work with the Bloodhunt (they were more willing to nerf our feats but not fix them *rolls eyes*) but now with the dooms day coming for Renegades i'll have to change to Thaumaturge.

Wouldn’t it be better to take two points out of controlling action and put them into blighting power for your Conduit of Ice?

Also isn't Transcended master only good if you hit the same target twice with ice rays?
  • Options
    capgarnascapgarnas Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 500 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Hey run,

Just wondering why you dont put more info under entangling. This is the go to AP builder in tab mastery which pretty much fills your bar to spam AS in CN or against bosses. Chillstrike damages a capped number of mobs whereas entang gives u AP for every mob it pulls allowing AS with shield combos killing faster.

I run with it shield and stealtime, rene build and pull 32m and top damage. Nothing against thaum have run with it but rene suits me better. This may change.

Entangling allows me to control the fights for trash and bosses. I do run tabbed chill for lower t2s for small mob pulls where it is useful.

Just wondering what you run for CN
  • Options
    archomentalarchomental Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 138 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    To all the posts claiming "Ive never lost to a xx spec," you need to stop using
    such a boast. Think of all the variables that go into that. The ONLY way to
    possibly see if x beats y, is for you personally to try both specs out
    in the exact same fighting situation.

When you make that statement, you assume that both players have the exact
    same gear AND skill level. In addition, you also assume that every combat
    situation was the same, like number of adds you hit with a spell. Worse yet,
    knocking off ledges does count for damage done, so someone pushing more
    off gets an inflated number.

With that aside, I used to run 5100 power until someone filled me in on power
    and armor pen. Adding 145 power only adds 6 damage, based on the tooltip.
    So I switched out my enchants on myself and my ioun stone, which lowered my
    power by 1000 but increased my Armor Pen from 1% to 17%. The results
    were a large damage increase.

It made sense once I looked at it, since increasing a 5000-8000 damage attack by 17%
    was a larger increase than the small damage increase on 1000 power.
  • Options
    lupita170lupita170 Member Posts: 122 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    kidbs wrote: »
    Why has non one mentioned armor pen? Power is one of our worst stats.

Until all other stats have reached the soft cap, including armor pen, power is quite literally the worst stat, It's simple math that you can see by the way all the stats scale on the character sheet.

You can say that power is the best stat, and that you do XXXXX dps, but it doesn't make you correct.

If I had to guess, I would wager that the OP hasn't really tested much else than what he thinks is the best, and that he plays with others that don't allocate stats properly. Just because you out-dps other people who are doing it really really really wrong, doesn't mean you aren't also doing it wrong.
  • Options
    dacovedacove Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Until all other stats have reached the soft cap, including armor pen, power is quite literally the worst stat, It's simple math that you can see by the way all the stats scale on the character sheet.

You can say that power is the best stat, and that you do XXXXX dps, but it doesn't make you correct.

If I had to guess, I would wager that the OP hasn't really tested much else than what he thinks is the best, and that he plays with others that don't allocate stats properly. Just because you out-dps other people who are doing it really really really wrong, doesn't mean you aren't also doing it wrong.

I don't know if he did any testing tbh. He claims this build is superior, but my problem is this. Tempest Magic being bugged with Tiefling which he should had noted that, pointless feat for Tiefling. Most renegades will probably have Malevolent Surge, so not really an increase there. Snap Freeze is bugged atm, least in all my testing, and from other tests. Snap Freeze doesn't effect his Tabbed Chill Strike nor CoI. Elemental Empowerment doesn't proc off of tabbed Chill Strike, only untabbed. Although it does proc off CoI, I'd be curious on how much damage it actually adds, especially not running it tabbed. Considering it would be roughly 250 additional damage, give or take, per target hit by CoI.

Not trying to start a build war or w/e, just stating that with so many bugged/not working properly feats within Thaumaturge, I really fail to see how this build is simply superior.
  • Options
    minorchordminorchord Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    frznvimes wrote: »
    The main thing I see that was nice about renegade over thaumaturge was that you're not tied to ice spells and CoI, giving you a bit more flexibility to change up your build without having your feats go to waste.
    Of course, now there are even fewer spells that I might want to take instead of CoI and tabbed Chill Strike.

I'm not sure if it's been discussed, but any thoughts on Frozen Power Transfer?

Bump! I asked this a few pages ago and some discussion would be nice :D

As it is, I took this feat, and it does seem to work- I tested it once on the dummies and and t1cc actually outdamged t3mm. More people to try it out would be good, esp since cc has been buffed in the new patch to refresh chill on all hits. If chained right, it can keep mobs near perma frozen with icy terrain.
  • Options
    grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    its an interesting build, the only thing that puts me off is that you almost always want to keep that encounter on to make it "feel right".

also with the ARP. i heard that currently or with the upcoming patch you can reduce enemies below 0% so there would be no real cap for ARP apart from diminishing values. anyone able to clarify on this?
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
  • Options
    assassin83assassin83 Member, Banned Users Posts: 276 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I think you don't need ARP when u have ROE, COI and the feat mitigation debuff. (and maybe even the High Vizier bonus after patch)
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    assassin83 wrote: »
    I think you don't need ARP when u have ROE, COI and the feat mitigation debuff. (and maybe even the High Vizier bonus after patch)
    Actually, they do different things. Current interpretation of the mechanics:
    Armor pen applies a flat -mitigation to your enemy's mitigation % and can't take it below 0 (I'm not sure about any changes in the upcoming patch), thus it's useful to take apr equal to your opponent's mitigation % since is scales much better than crit, power, and recovery. Debuffs are then applied based on your opponents mitigation % before apr is taken into account, and they can take the mitigation below 0%. So if your opponent has 20% mitigation and you have 20% apr and 50% defense debuff they would take 110% damage. If you didn't have the apr they would take 90% damage.
  • Options
    lemandallemandal Member Posts: 61
    edited June 2013
    frznvimes wrote: »
    Actually, they do different things. Current interpretation of the mechanics:
    Armor pen applies a flat -mitigation to your enemy's mitigation % and can't take it below 0 (I'm not sure about any changes in the upcoming patch), thus it's useful to take apr equal to your opponent's mitigation % since is scales much better than crit, power, and recovery. Debuffs are then applied based on your opponents mitigation % before apr is taken into account, and they can take the mitigation below 0%. So if your opponent has 20% mitigation and you have 20% apr and 50% defense debuff they would take 110% damage. If you didn't have the apr they would take 90% damage.

Actually they would take 150% damage with arp, 130% without.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    lemandal wrote: »
    Actually they would take 150% damage with arp, 130% without.
    In the example I used it was a 50% defense debuff (such as student of the sword for gwf), not 50% mitigation reduction. You'd be right if it was mitigation reduction though.
    Anyway, the point is that they all stack and can go past 0% mitigation, it's just that apr by itself doesn't go past 0%.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    assassin83 wrote: »

This is my take on a T2 Thaumaturge build. http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?337592-((T2))-Thaumaturge-SPEC-POWERS-ROLE

It is important when we discuss ArP, it's in context of what we normally do. RoE is not often slotted, only when you are called to Boss duty. And RoI in a normal slot is still limited in its debuff. ArP punches through mob defenses in a 360 degree radius. So while you are right a Thaumaturge doesn't need as much of it as a Renegade, it still is very useful to have about 1000Arp.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Taking statements out of context, because you don't want to show others what you're being criticized about, just proves your inexperience.
    You want to stick with your subpar Wiz, running low content, topping score card at the end, thinking that's exactly how things will be in end-game content? .

I understand the sentence "grinding Castle Never and Tier 2 dungeons just fine." -is hard to comprehend for you.

The only thing being proven here is that you're either reading impaired or braindamaged. You should refrain from using a text based forum altogether. I cleared Castle Never around 9 days from the start of Open Beta, probably while you still hadn't even unlocked your second Daily Power. If you're referring to online gaming experience, 1995 says hi. Last but not the least, I'm pretty sure your Wizard is supbar to mine ( especially after reading your Chilling Cloud -centered "sort of guide." )

Regarding stats, testing has been done, but the tools for that are still pretty limited. The current stat recommendations have been written at an earlier stage of the guide, will be updating them regarding some caps when some decent solid information has been gathered regarding what is sufficient with the debuffs gained from the tree. Probably after the patch is live, since that might change things around even more.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I understand the sentence "grinding Castle Never and Tier 2 dungeons just fine." -is hard to comprehend for you.

The only thing being proven here is that you're either reading impaired or braindamaged. You should refrain from using a text based forum altogether. I cleared Castle Never around 9 days from the start of Open Beta, probably while you still hadn't even unlocked your second Daily Power. If you're referring to online gaming experience, 1995 says hi. Last but not the least, I'm pretty sure your Wizard is supbar to mine ( especially after reading your Chilling Cloud -centered "sort of guide." )

Regarding stats, testing has been done, but the tools for that are still pretty limited. The current stat recommendations have been written at an earlier stage of the guide, will be updating them regarding some caps when some decent solid information has been gathered regarding what is sufficient with the debuffs gained from the tree. Probably after the patch is live, since that might change things around even more.

Your condescending and arrogant manner is the ONLY reason I stayed as Renegade for a long time. Half of your posts in this thread, starting with the OP has been nothing but garbage being spewed at Renegade builds.

You've cleared CN in the first 9 days. I call BULL$^%!. Then why does your OP guide reads like someone who just got into T1s? Why did you post a Damage Dealt Score card from Mad Dragon? lol Let me guess, you probably were farming Stalwart Helms...sure.

You can criticize my build as much as you want. You can "claim" you actually read it, although I doubt it since you are calling it a "sort-of-guide" when I clearly stated in the first few lines that it is NOT. Why would I write a "guide" for T2 players? That would be kind of silly, dont you think? :)

But you can't convince me that your CW will pump out more DPS than mine while Slotting Ray of Enfeeblement, a Power that has its uses in the rare occasions when a CW is on boss. Any single target Power slotted for the remainder of a dungeon is a complete waste. Having Ray of Frost as your secondary At-Will in a T2? LOL Please entertain us with a clip of you using it in CN or even Pirate! Hec better to slot Storm Pillar. At least you can recharge your AP while at camp with it.

Notice I am criticizing your advice on YOUR thread, and ONLY as a response to your poor attempts to belittle me. I actually made a point not to criticize ANYONE's guide or build on my thread, something that is obviously way over your head. But thanks for drawing attention to it. I appreciate it. Now the people with some sense might even try it and draw their own conclusions, instead of just taking your "experience" for granted.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Your condescending and arrogant manner is the ONLY reason I stayed as Renegade for a long time. Half of your posts in this thread, starting with the OP has been nothing but garbage being spewed at Renegade builds.

Read what I have to say about Renegade ( infact, read things before you make ignorant and stupid comments like your previous one. ) Also read the numerous posts that practically begged the Renegade portion to be added, anyone who has followed the thread can enlighten you, ignorant one.

Regarding Ray of Freeze, it's almost never used. There's no need to use 2 At-Wills as a CW currently, but there's room for 2. Please entertain us by not trying to fake you didn't already know that because it's so obvious.

I'm now bored of your pseudointellectual bilge. Go be Renegade -specced to fight the power, I don't care. You were being a dork thinking I don't do endgame content ( looked at the damagemeter screenshot and jumped the gun I bet, eager to bash while being clueless, this you will never have the spine to admit, ofcourse ) and you took it even further by making your stupid comment that is wrong on all accounts, factually. It's funny you're being skeptical about me reading things when obviously you failed to read, claiming I'm some T1/lowlvl dungeon farmer and calling Steal Time "Steel Time". You just made a gigantic fool of yourself. And now you're on the defensive.

And that's all there is to it. That'll be all for you, will also be ignoring any other posts similiar. I do however welcome the discussion regarding the caps and limits of different stats to anyone who wants to discuss them in this thread, as they might help further gather information for the guide. Will ofcourse credit if one so wishes and the findings are solid.

Also some need to bear in mind that upholding this guide and testing everything in the game isn't my day job, and NW isn't the only game I play. I do it on my spare time. I will collectively gather information, just like any guides in any game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    capgarnas wrote: »
    Hey run,

Just wondering why you dont put more info under entangling. This is the go to AP builder in tab mastery which pretty much fills your bar to spam AS in CN or against bosses. Chillstrike damages a capped number of mobs whereas entang gives u AP for every mob it pulls allowing AS with shield combos killing faster.

I run with it shield and stealtime, rene build and pull 32m and top damage. Nothing against thaum have run with it but rene suits me better. This may change.

Entangling allows me to control the fights for trash and bosses. I do run tabbed chill for lower t2s for small mob pulls where it is useful.

Just wondering what you run for CN

The reason why: See previous post, last paragraph. This is a good point, added. I don't agree with Mastery Entangling Force causing things to die faster altogether than Mastery Chill Strike, though, with the exception of speeding up AP gain for instagib knockbacks. For CN I change powers a lot depending on what part of the dungeon my group is in. Shield is usually used a lot ( knocking the mobs over railings and edges in both gauntlets, comboing the knockback with Arcane Singularity ) in bossfights RoE takes it's place, except for the final boss where I usually go with Shield again and mostly focus on control.

Currently I'm thinking that with the new patch RoE might get replaced by Shard of The Endless Avalanche OR Icy Rays, backed by Trandescended Master ( Icy rays also benefiting from Snap Freeze and Elemental Empowerment if I'm not mistaken. ) But will see. In general, the build remains largely unaffected.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    borgued3borgued3 Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 150 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Awessome guide overall, but it would help people better if you would also add a screenshot of your power table with the respective level of the powers. You made good points on the powers as you explained and we can guess what you maxed and what you just placed points for the sake of advancing to the next tier, but a screenshot is alway good =).

Thanks and i will try running this build when im done with my TR. Keep up the good work =)