What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Endgame Thaumaturge Guide

Comments

• Options
    poac1poac1 Member Posts: 88
    edited June 2013
    This is a decent guide, better then renegade at least. I've been through several games over 13~ years min/maxing and this build seemed like common sense, I built this way leveling for min/max at 60 and have never had to change it while clearing all content (yes even CN). I prefer to prioritize recovery over critical strike past the 1400-1600 crit mark though, simply because the returns are better.

Eye of the storm is simply too good to value crit that highly, even using the new parse program if you stop around 12-15% crit you have almost a 100% eye of the storm up time simply because once it's up it never goes down, and with the amount of AoE we have...well it's always up.

Also maybe add a note that ray of enfeeblement, while amazing..doesn't exactly work how it's described in the Tab(empowered) slot, it simply adds two seperate debuffs...instead of doubling the value of the first as it states. This doesn't really diminish it's effects, but it's not worth stacking as the effect isn't multiplicative. You get the highest return from debuffing > waiting for it to fade > using second charge until they fix it.

Also note if your group is attempting to min max it's best to communicate to get your debuff up BEFORE the rogs start their stacking dots etc, as the effect will last through the entirety of their debuff, as long as yours was there on the start.

Edit: The parse is linked in the post above me for testing, you can see what I mean.
  • Options
    shinjomakushinjomaku Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    What enchantments do you go for?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    shinjomaku wrote: »
    What enchantments do you go for?

Plaguefire/Vorpal - Critical severity is ridiculously strong and appears to have no cap, but I don't have a greater vorpal to test. If you stack shadow-weavers (assuming no incoming nerf?) and the vorpal...you'd have something like 180% critical severity.

Critical severity is basically a modification of critical damage by % values.

Idk about the armor ones really, I took invuln because I like soloing the t1 epics.

Offense = Recovery

The rest don't really matter, Ioun stone companion from Zen store is currently the best companion...socketed again with recovery, you can get around 15% crit 55% CDR (recovery) and something like 4300 power if you're in ancient gear + shadow-weavers + rank7's.
  • Options
    runicfirunicfi Member Posts: 269 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    What makes the Ioun Stone better than the cat, in your opinion?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    More gear slots, which means more stats get attributed to you or rather better gear slots (you get the DC offhand for stone)
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Cat is neck/waist/ring vs ring/neck/icon on stone, the icon is what makes the huge difference.

(when you think about why, it's obvious)
  • Options
    sandynicolesandynicole Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I love this build. I started using it today and I notice the power increase! Can't wait to be 60 to destroy even more. :P
    To talk without thinking is to shoot without aiming.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I'll just stick with my cat, his name is Arnold.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    manch0manch0 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    runicfi,
    thanks for the nice guide, it helped me alot.
    Have two questions, can you say something about gear? I see T1 and T2 gear set bonuses, and do not see any good for that build, or I am wrong?(please tell the best set for T1 and T2 for your build).
    What can you say about runes?(what's best for your build).

• Options
    grimmaldigrimmaldi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    poac1 wrote: »
    Cat is neck/waist/ring vs ring/neck/icon on stone, the icon is what makes the huge difference.

New to epics, which icon are you referring to and why is it better for those of us whom it is not so obvious to?
  • Options
    copticonecopticone Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    poac1 wrote: »

umm no please enlighten us how it is obvious that the Icon makes a HUGE difference. My cat is rocking a blue belt with about 400 Crit/Arp/Recovery + an Offensive slot.
    Check out my personal Nerf Proof T2 Thaumaturge Build.
  • Options
    manch0manch0 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    copticone wrote: »
    umm no please enlighten us how it is obvious that the Icon makes a HUGE difference. My cat is rocking a blue belt with about 400 Crit/Arp/Recovery + an Offensive slot.

So, Cat or Stone for CW? :) (and why..)
  • Options
    omgitsloganomgitslogan Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    For Humans, what would you put the extra 3 feats points into? I was considering Prestidigitation or Focused Wizardry but wasn't exactly sure.
  • Options
    assassin83assassin83 Member, Banned Users Posts: 276 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    manch0 wrote: »
    So, Cat or Stone for CW? :) (and why..)

Buy the cheaper one.
  • Options
    darnselddarnseld Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Thanks beforehand for the guide Runicfi it really helped me a lot ;) AND as it was stated somewhere before, this build is sense-wise for dps, when you check its feats, most definitely. Renegade is all about synergy to help your teammates and giving urself some dmg increase, whereas thaum is the other way around: more dmg and few but helpful team bonuses.So for all of those who want to spec renegade keep that in mind, just in case you could hesitate due to some renegade fanboys, it is just about play style, in which style you feel more comfortable to play with.

However, on another matter, I have some worries about the feats and all that stuff regarding this well-thought build. For example, Snap Freeze does not seem to take effect with Chill Strike Tabbed or if it does, it does less often than with just the slotted one, and a little bit less dmg, conduit of ice neither is affected or so it looks like *I've been testing it at the dummies as well as zellist did. Tempest Magic does not work either with tieflings, *sth to do with Tiefling's racial trait Bloodhunt overriding the latter* at least that is what it is said, so I, as a tiefling might benefit more from spending my points in another feat *Although I really believe bugged feats of all classes will be fixed soon or by live launch with some respec included hope so, and then obviously tempest will rock with tiefling. Also in the control feat , focused Wizardry and Wizard's Wrath AoE bonuses not working properly or too unclear to understand really on which ''AoE'' Attacks they work.

At any rate, I am a little bit curious what are your thoughts on all those bugged feats specially in this case related to CW thaum build. Moreover, I would like Runicfi and any other versed player to give their opinions, suggestions or point of views about this, linking it with the best race for cw, since it seems humans would do better with the bugged tempest and the 3 extra points you could invest in focused wizardry or wizard's wrath to boost chill strike dmg when tabbed.

And last but not least, what do you think of Far Spell Runicfi? do you think is of any use? And finally... Have you changed snap freeze or tempest or modified your build slightly after all these bugged issues have emerged? If so do you have recommendation you could spare?

That's all for now. Thank you really much for your guide that in the end was a freely-given contribution, which you didnt have to have post, though, you did, something really praiseworthy to do. Thanks for helping the community. With people like you guiding other players, one can enjoy the game a lot more. Nice ongoing feedback in the thread btw.
    P.S. Runicfi your char is human or what? in the screenshot of the scoreboard it looks like an elf but no idea. Just curiosity.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Thank you. I haven't changed my build, even with the bugging Snap Freeze I'm still doing insane amounts of damage. I won't be paying PE/Cryptic for respeccing into Feats that might or might not work until they fix all of them.

My character is an Elf, just a matter of style and Intelligence.

Someone asked about runes ( I guess you mean enchantments ) get Plaguefire or Vorpal. For companion Runestones ( Cat ) you'll want the same stats as your gear gives you ( the Cat also grants bonuses from its Runestones to you. )
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    darnselddarnseld Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Hey thanks for your quick response. Good to know you haven't changed but it still rocks, because I really liked the build, I don't want to modify it. But you know It seems we will have to be patience while we develop our char and get used to some broken mechanics within and among classes, I mean it's Beta, even if we all know the game overall has more than the acceptable bugs range there's nothing we can do but wait and look forward for fixes to be implemented soon enough.

Btw I never mentioned runes or enchantments hehe I meant Far Spell the feat of Thaum that allows you to *if I remember correctly* cast at wills farther, dunno if you missed it by accident .

Anyway thanks once more this one should be my last post.
    P.S I like elves too, they're classy...nothing like have super reflexes and be immortal and healthy for nine centuries. :rolleyes:
    Till next time then!
  • Options
    verilosverilos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 77
    edited June 2013
    What's your opinion on magelord vs. shadow-weaver gear and vs. gladiator for pvp. Seems like shadow with greater vorpal will be superior hands down for both pvp and pve.
  • Options
    aeroth001aeroth001 Member Posts: 420 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I must say these discutions are sometimes more interesting then the game itself :)

Probably because i like more the discution, socialization part of d&d then clicking the mouse....
  • Options
    neomagezneomagez Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    firstly i would like to thank you for having shared such a great build.. loving it myself =)

and now here goes the questions

1)is it better to go with 2 - 2 set bonuses or a full set? what eq do you use?
    2)with the upcoming changes how you feel it will affect this build?
  • Options
    rellikdogrellikdog Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    i dont have the money to spend re enchanting plz let me know what enchants to use
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    neomagez wrote: »
    firstly i would like to thank you for having shared such a great build.. loving it myself =)

and now here goes the questions

1)is it better to go with 2 - 2 set bonuses or a full set? what eq do you use?
    2)with the upcoming changes how you feel it will affect this build?

Personally I use a 400+ Power Bonus from 2 set items ( use the most powerful 2 set items to maximize profit ) and rest of my items are nonset drops. The total, I believe, is a greated buff to damage than wearing one full set. Shadow Weaver is good for Renegade though.

Regarding the new balance patch, the build remains mostly untouched by the changes. Here are my initial thoughts:

Conduit of Ice: The primary effect of this power is now considered a DoT for damage calculation.

As it should be, damage unaffected asfar as I understand.

Ray of Enfeeblement: This power is now considered a DoT for damage calculation.
    Ray of Enfeeblement: The benefits from ranking up this power have been decreased.
    Ray of Enfeeblement: The debuff applied by this power is now less powerful.

Slight nerf, luckily this spell is more important for Renegade than Thaumaturgy, our main source of mitigation reduction is Conduit of Ice. Doesn't affect much.

Steal Time: This power now grants one Arcane Mastery stack per cast, regardless of the number of enemies hit.

Slight nerf, again to a spell that is more important to Renegade. Build doesn't care that much about Arcane stacks.

Storm Pillar: The damage radius of the normal cast has been slightly increased.
    Storm Pillar: The damage dealt by the summoned pillar has been slightly reduced.
    Storm Pillar: Ranking up this power now increases the time the summoned pillar lasts.
    Feat: Destructive Wizardry: This power now requires Storm Pillar to be charged at least halfway to activate.

Still useless, if not even worse.

Feat: Masterful Arcane Theft: The damage bonus from this feat has been reduced.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX7wtNOkuHo @ Renegade

Feat: Reaper's Touch: This feat's effectiveness has been reduced.

Still a must have if the reduction is slight, if it's huge the build will be changed.

Feat: Snap Freeze: This feat no longer increases the damage of Lightning-based powers. It now correctly only affects Cold powers.

Wasn't using Lightning anyway, so again unaffected. Hopefully they would actually fix the Feat otherwise too, next to the issue mentioned.

All and all, nothing drastic seems to be coming our way, except maybe some ex-Renegade Wizards who are getting some of their main abilities nerfed. Will post a new build if necessary somewhere around the time that the patch goes on OB servers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    serpentussserpentuss Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 33
    edited June 2013
    Reaper's touch damage is lowered by 50%, so it's now 15% max instead of 30%

So every CW will become thaumaturge now...yey
  • Options
    neomagezneomagez Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    runicfi wrote: »
    Personally I use a 400+ Power Bonus from 2 set items ( use the most powerful 2 set items to maximize profit ) and rest of my items are nonset drops. The total, I believe, is a greated buff to damage than wearing one full set. Shadow Weaver is good for Renegade though.

Regarding the new balance patch, the build remains mostly untouched by the changes. Here are my initial thoughts:

Conduit of Ice: The primary effect of this power is now considered a DoT for damage calculation.

As it should be, damage unaffected asfar as I understand.

Ray of Enfeeblement: This power is now considered a DoT for damage calculation.
    Ray of Enfeeblement: The benefits from ranking up this power have been decreased.
    Ray of Enfeeblement: The debuff applied by this power is now less powerful.

Slight nerf, luckily this spell is more important for Renegade than Thaumaturgy, our main source of mitigation reduction is Conduit of Ice. Doesn't affect much.

Steal Time: This power now grants one Arcane Mastery stack per cast, regardless of the number of enemies hit.

Slight nerf, again to a spell that is more important to Renegade. Build doesn't care that much about Arcane stacks.

Storm Pillar: The damage radius of the normal cast has been slightly increased.
    Storm Pillar: The damage dealt by the summoned pillar has been slightly reduced.
    Storm Pillar: Ranking up this power now increases the time the summoned pillar lasts.
    Feat: Destructive Wizardry: This power now requires Storm Pillar to be charged at least halfway to activate.

Still useless, if not even worse.

Feat: Masterful Arcane Theft: The damage bonus from this feat has been reduced.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX7wtNOkuHo @ Renegade

Feat: Reaper's Touch: This feat's effectiveness has been reduced.

Still a must have if the reduction is slight, if it's huge the build will be changed.

Feat: Snap Freeze: This feat no longer increases the damage of Lightning-based powers. It now correctly only affects Cold powers.

Wasn't using Lightning anyway, so again unaffected. Hopefully they would actually fix the Feat otherwise too, next to the issue mentioned.

All and all, nothing drastic seems to be coming our way, except maybe some ex-Renegade Wizards who are getting some of their main abilities nerfed. Will post a new build if necessary somewhere around the time that the patch goes on OB servers.

icic.. thanks for the info =) as always still loving ur build =D
  • Options
    aylimeiaylimei Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    aweome, Im an avid follower, Thought IUd use this one as opposed to being a sheep and getting on the Renegade train, loving This build drops heaps of mitigation and adds drop quick :)
    ~ 60 CW ~ <Brothers till Death> ~ Dragon Server ~
  • Options
    mageor0lmageor0l Member Posts: 51
    edited June 2013
    Well, since the renegade tree got run over by the nerftrain and the oppressor tree still blows, it seems like thaum is the only viable tree left.

But since 99% of the groups glitch(or run) past most parts of the t2 dungeons and the CW is only used to push adds during the boss fights while 2 roques dps down the boss, it doesn't really matter which tree you use anyway.
  • Options
    ssantiagoxssantiagox Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Hey runicfi, great guide, very helpful.

I'm curious though in your actual builds. Without listing the actual points you are spending it's very difficult to spec knowing if we're all on the same page. Could you add your point allocations to your skills list?

Thanks!
  • Options
    aylimeiaylimei Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    ssantiagox wrote: »
    Hey runicfi, great guide, very helpful.

I'm curious though in your actual builds. Without listing the actual points you are spending it's very difficult to spec knowing if we're all on the same page. Could you add your point allocations to your skills list?

Thanks!

for Talents/Spells? Just copy This one doesnt really matter as long as you max out the ones used, Take diff ones up if ya like or not w/e XD
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Also, With Stats, Any ideas on what we're supposed to have? Power>Crit>recovery but how much? i.e 1/0.5/.05 or higher?

And What Weapon/Armour Enchants do you use? I know Plague and Flaming are good, Vorpal costs too much but is another option for weapons, But no-one lists for Armour XD

[EDIT] Nvm had a closer look and its Max Power > 3000 crit > 3000 Recovery
  • Options
    schulz87schulz87 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    renegade builds complaining about the incoming nerfs, but literally that tree was a little OP, thats why most run renegade, anyways so maybe now its balance making it thaum a viable build too