Install Arc
Options

To The GWF Community: Sure Strike, Stop Using It

Comments

• Options
    trickshawtrickshaw Member Posts: 497 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    spacejew wrote: »
    If you are a Sentinel, reroll...I mean use Sure Strike?

I lol'd

Thanks for that. = )
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    drogon4drogon4 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Bottom line is Sure Strike needs a significant buff. GWF single-target dps is unconscionably bad for even their primary AOE role.

How anyone can say the GWF is "fine so go L2P," is beyond me, esp anyone who plays all the other classes. Single target fights for the GWF are UNFUN, and are important and common in any MMO - such as PVP and boss fights. I love the GWF, one of my fav DnD classes - but atm I find it difficult to have fun with it (my GWF is 36 atm) - because of the utterly lame single target "dps."
  • Options
    itheryelitheryel Member Posts: 335 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Nobody in here seems to calculate the animation time for these strikes to ocure...?
    Sure strike is the number one hit to debuff single targets at a rapid speed, and since -45% defense is pretty solid it is by far the best choice vs elite mobs/bosses weaved with wms.
    Vs masses of mobs just spam a good places WMS and the mirror wil make u hit twice at a long range of mobs(and it u crit the mirror also crits)

The animation of wicked strike is so teribly long its bad. Reaping strike has a long animation but its damage output is similar and higher then wms if used together. However with reaping strike u dont stack debuffs leaving the overal team damage lower.

My only regret of sure strike is that only the last hit has increased damage, and usualy u cant finish the animation deu to CC/red area's. It would be a lot better if every strike had equal strenght so u could interupt it without dps lose.

But to conclude = animation time of wms/ss is the least therefore they are better then the alternate strikes to stack buffs/debuffs on a target, and because of that they are superior imo.
    Petram Sacram - I am no devine cleric, i am a Gaurdian fighter in disguise with better threat and supportive spells -
  • Options
    spacejewspacejew Member Posts: 1,044 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    itheryel wrote: »
    Nobody in here seems to calculate the animation time for these strikes to ocure...?
    Sure strike is the number one hit to debuff single targets at a rapid speed, and since -45% defense is pretty solid it is by far the best choice vs elite mobs/bosses weaved with wms.
    Vs masses of mobs just spam a good places WMS and the mirror wil make u hit twice at a long range of mobs(and it u crit the mirror also crits)

The animation of wicked strike is so teribly long its bad. Reaping strike has a long animation but its damage output is similar and higher then wms if used together. However with reaping strike u dont stack debuffs leaving the overal team damage lower.

My only regret of sure strike is that only the last hit has increased damage, and usualy u cant finish the animation deu to CC/red area's. It would be a lot better if every strike had equal strenght so u could interupt it without dps lose.

But to conclude = animation time of wms/ss is the least therefore they are better then the alternate strikes to stack buffs/debuffs on a target, and because of that they are superior imo.

As was said, -45% defense works out to far less than that in actual increased damage. You are doing the worst possible damage using sure strike even with debuff's and buff's. So no, your -45% armor debuff is not anywhere close to a reason to be included in teams. It's ludicrous to even imply that's why Sure Strike is good. Seriously, Sure Strike is junk. All the buff's and debuff's make it less junk than default, but compared to the other options it's still junk. You are wasting your classes potential. You're playing a Trickster Rogue that only uses one dagger for role play reasons.

I am going to go ahead and acknowledge that you're right that Sure Strike does stack faster, but what does it serve to feed into? WMS? Itself? Those are just plain bad reasons to even bother stacking an armor debuff. Encounters? Even with buff's/debuff's Encounters are not going to make up the difference in lost damage to useing a terrible At-Will. Basically, you stack all your stuff faster then waste all of it's potential damage.
    I lol'd

Thanks for that. = )

It was just for you, lol. I think you're the only person I know of that's admitted to playing Sentinel...I know you can't be the only one, just perhaps the most vocal ^_-

Still waiting on your Sentinel guide/build!

@aandrethegiant:

I thought you were dead, but I'm glad your spirit lives on to remove my late night crazy posts!

Anybody want a peanut?

NOOOOOOO!
    MoF/Thaum CW SS/Thaum CW IV/Protector GF SW/Combat HR SM/Destroyer GWF WK/Executioner TR DO/Faithful DC
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    To add to Spacejew's point... the only time SS is preferred to other at-wills is in PvP in order to build stacks of Weapon Master and/or Plague Fire. SS is good in that regard because you don't have to use animation canceling to keep mobile. There is no animation-to-movement delay with SS until the 4th swing.

Otherwise I never slot it. It's <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sacredchaossacredchaos Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    PS The only time i use sure strike outside pvp is against castle never last boss - simply because all im doing is debuffing boss.
    GWF lvl 60.
    Completed all content waiting for more.
    And class balances.... trololollol.
  • Options
    itheryelitheryel Member Posts: 335 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    @ spacejew i agree that SS is sort of bad,

However i find all at-wills <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> aside from WMS, in that regard at least SS servers a purpose to gets the debuffs up for team 25% faster then the other at wils because of the short animation/multiple hits compared to the other at wils.

WS = seriuesly ? 1.5 time animation lowering effect of POWER even further then it already is on a GWF
    RS = seriuesly? standing stil to charge in the hopes u dont get CC'd to get one hit off?(of-note RS exualy has the highest at wil damage of all, but its redundant because of the imobility)

The slow animations on a GWF are one of the reasons power is so terible for a GWF, while a TR can land 4 hits because of short animation (4x buff from power) we can maybe land 2, giving us a 50% reduction in power usability.

But in utility SS has more use then all the other at-wils simply because you can interupt the animation, stack buffs/debuffs.
    Also sure strike is not a single target at-will, it might appear that way but combined with some encounters(forgot the name i think its "come and get it") u wil hit all the mobs in a straight line just like restoring strike and combat master's strike.
    The only other at will usuable for stacking buffs/debuffs would be WMS because it hits twice with the same effect's, meaning if u crit with hit one, the mirror wil also crit giving u 2 stacks.

I fail to see why u would urge people to not use a skill that u havent fully realised the potential off. Even worse, discourage people from finding a use for it all together if u have not, that's just L2P food. (and yes i mean LEARN 2 PLAY, play being the main word in that statement as in having fun)
    Petram Sacram - I am no devine cleric, i am a Gaurdian fighter in disguise with better threat and supportive spells -
  • Options
    chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited June 2013
    I agree Sure strike is pretty bad. I switch to Wicked Strike / WMS and have never since looked back. I average around 4-5M damage in epic dungeons. This is very distressing since we don't have a lot of choices for our at-will abilities and Sure strike could sure get some DPS boost.

Edit: I just hate using Reaping strike. It's slow and unwieldy. Also the slow movement while charging the skill ... come on we don't need that.
  • Options
    katbozejziemikatbozejziemi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I would use Reaping Strike if Unstoppable actually increased the charge speed, instead of just increasing the speed at which the bar fills.

And while we're at it, can someone explain to me why do GWF AoE powers have "Does reduced damage for every target hit beyond first"? Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose? And not only that, I don't see such property on any of the wizard AoE powers.
  • Options
    th0rfinnth0rfinn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 119 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    The current state of GWF is a complete joke. Yeah there are terrible GWF that makes the class look worser then what it already is, there are bad DC,TR,CW but they can bring a small difference even if they are terrible. A terrible GWF is just leeching the group putting people at risk for trying to revive him when he dies.

Reaping strike does the same damage as a full combo sure strike. It's a bad skill that can be easily dodged and can be interruted and u wasted a good second charging a skill that didn't went off. I shouldn't call it a skill, more like a joke.
  • Options
    urlagurlag Member Posts: 68
    edited June 2013
    btw comparing the % of bad gwf to the % of bad gf/tr/dc/cw doesnt cut it
    gwf requires more skill and gear than the other classes to become viable, so compareing #'s of the %'s is like comparing lemons and limes.
    and with a vast majority of the general player base refusing to see this fact, makes it insanely difficult to get to that point.
    also a full combo sure strike isnt the same as a fullcharged reaping strike. rank 2 full charged reaping, is about the same dmg as the full combo of sure strike at rank 3. and with the 5/5 feat that inceases reaping strike dmg on a single target, and with reaping at 3/3, reaping will do a bit more than WMS in aoe in the same timeframe with both having WMS buff (best would be to alternate them), and
    in single target, full charged reaping will do at least double the dmg than full combo SS when all norm hits, but when all crits, reaping does around triple, if not more

also to get all 4 SS strikes to crit is alot harder than full charged reaping
    reaping charge works as 3 hits on a full charge, each sound that is heard, and each sound is accompanied by a slight flash on blade and a slight screen shake, equals 1 "charge", and at full is at 3 "charges" and when u let the mouse button go, all 3 charges, if full, get applied for 1 swing, and reaping being an aoe skill, means that if 1 charge crits, then all 3 crit on every target hit. plus the full combo for SS is roughly 3 secs and full charge + swing for reaping is about 2.5 secs.
    also the determination gain from dmg while charging reaping is nuts! (u get more determination gain per dmg taken by charging reaping while in a ground field than is constanly putting out low dmg) (despite getting more per hit of dmg taken from big hits, there is a cap for how much u can gain in 1 swing which is 1/2 bar without reaping buff, and about 2/3 bar with, but with reaping buff in the low dmg pools, u get roughly 1/11 th of a bar per tick, which nets a whole hell of alot less dmg taken per determination gain)

usually i can go from empty, step into a pool, do 1 WMS, then 1 fullcharged reaping, then 1 roar hitting only 1 target, and have full bar, which takes all of about 4 secs, and around a total of about 4-5k dmg taken which isnt including cleric daily or splash healing from cleric or the random regen/lifesteal
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    @urlag:

Yeah, a lot of Destroyers seem intent on doing bottom-of-the-chart DPS with Sure Strike. Then there are a lot of Destroyers that are intent on doing bottom-of-the-chart DPS with Wicked Strike. They really need to reroll as Instigator if they're going to play that way, but people keep saying I'm being rude in telling them the truth. I don't know why people get bent out of shape when you tell them that, I mean if you hate Reaping Strike why are you a Destroyer? You can hate RS, I can understand if it's not your cup of tea, but if you're using the At-Will intended for another feat tree why not feat into it in the tree?

Every Destroyer I've teamed with that isn't using Reaping Strike ends up asking me by the end of the dungeon what I'm doing to out DPS them.

I just don't understand people.
    MoF/Thaum CW SS/Thaum CW IV/Protector GF SW/Combat HR SM/Destroyer GWF WK/Executioner TR DO/Faithful DC
  • Options
    lethoklethok Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    So I never thought I was one of the bad gwf's, but today ran epic idris and I most certainly am. There was another gwf present. he did 6m, I did.....3.5m. I couldnt pick his brain as there was a language barrier

Stats

mine his
    GS 7300 7300
    power 2500 3000
    crit 1400 800
    ArPen 1450 1650
    rec 660 400
    attack 5800 5600

So....Im going to go ahead and say the discrepancy wasnt due to stats.

What i use

feature
    destroyer
    weapon master

daily
    slam

encounter
    indomitable
    restoring strike
    daring shout

at will
    reaping
    WMS

Feats - normal
    2/5 Unstoppable action
    3/3 discipline of strength
    2/3 endless assault
    3/3 armor specialization
    5/5 steely defense
    3/3 weapon mastery
    2/3 devastating crit

Instigator
    5/5 unstoppable recovery
    1/5 stunning flourish

Sentinel
    5/5 SotS

Destroyer
    5/5 Great weapon focus
    5/5 staying power
    5/5 executioners style
    5/5 battle awareness
    NO CAPSTONE

my abilities werent planned out which is why i lack the capstone and have one point in flourish notably. Halfway through leveling I decided I wanted to spec destroyer because Ive read its the AOE spec, and thats what we do.

For groups, I daring shout after aggro is taken by tank. I then wms/reapers. Ill sneak in indomitable when i can get a kill and get the AP.

For single target, I WMS followed by restoring, WMS followed by indomitable. My WMS buffs my encounters. When its all blown, Ill wms/reaper.

Im always trying to position myself to hit as many targets as possible.

What is the source of the gigantic discrepancy?
  • Options
    chudovishyechudovishye Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    lethok wrote: »
    at will
    reaping
    WMS

GOD ANOTHER GWF USING REAPING WTF. Dude, seriously, pick another class. RS is WORTHLESS. It's so readable. As soon as I see that charge, I step out of your **** way and dig back in with WMS to kill you. Had a GWF try me one on one last night and they pulled this out. It's practically insane to try using it in PvP, let alone PvE were more constant damage is CRITICAL in epic dungeons. The discrepancy is you need to use WS instead. WMS one click, before the second hit comes hit WS for 2-3 swings (3 if you have the proper buffs armed), repeat. Duh. Freaking RS...
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    @Lethok:

restoring strike @ daring shout are not really useful to a DPS Destroyer. Your feats also need to be completely overhauled.

If you want to know what I suggest read the second page of the thread in my signature or click here if you can't be bothered.

The lack of the capstone is hurting you quite a bit, as are your partial points into the Instigator tree. The lack of points into Unstoppable Action in your base feats is also a pretty huge AP loss.

@chudovishye:

I was unaware you were a boss monster in PvE. You should try pulling your head out of your rear before you snap judge a topic you haven't read a word of. Your comments aimed at PvE are ludicrously uninformed kiddo. Unless, of course, you are an Instigator build instead of Destroyer.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I'd have to look at my stats again, but I can tell you if you use Flourish not maxing Stunning Flourish was a massive mistake. It looks like you're not using it, so why'd you even put a point in there? This build needs probably reworked from the ground up.
  • Options
    lethoklethok Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    thankyou spacejew, ive followed the advice of the second page and increased that runs dps by 1m. im guessing my effed up feats is the rest. thanks ~

are my feats so bad i should spend the 150k to respec, or save that money for a kitty?
  • Options
    gruntykillfacegruntykillface Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    @urlag:

I just don't understand people.

It's really simple. Stop telling other players how to play their toon. Some GWF players do not like slow attacks, regardless if they do zero dps and called "bad" by elite wannabe's.
  • Options
    exiler1sexiler1s Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    GOD ANOTHER GWF USING REAPING WTF. Dude, seriously, pick another class. RS is WORTHLESS. It's so readable. As soon as I see that charge, I step out of your **** way and dig back in with WMS to kill you. Had a GWF try me one on one last night and they pulled this out. It's practically insane to try using it in PvP, let alone PvE were more constant damage is CRITICAL in epic dungeons. The discrepancy is you need to use WS instead. WMS one click, before the second hit comes hit WS for 2-3 swings (3 if you have the proper buffs armed), repeat. Duh. Freaking RS...

Dude! Read the context what you are saying and what people are saying. It does not match up!

And yes Reaping Strike is terrible at PvP, the people here are arguing that Reaping Strike is better than Sure Strike for PvE in both AoE (thats a given) and in Single target DPS when specced for it.
  • Options
    edited June 2013

This gave me a chuckle.

Keep fighting the good fight hauss.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    exiler1s wrote: »
    Dude! Read the context what you are saying and what people are saying. It does not match up!

And yes Reaping Strike is terrible at PvP, the people here are arguing that Reaping Strike is better than Sure Strike for PvE in both AoE (thats a given) and in Single target DPS when specced for it.

I'm telling you it's not. I've done plenty of epics. WMS and WS. RS is a waste of your time.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    @chudovishye:

I was unaware you were a boss monster in PvE. You should try pulling your head out of your rear before you snap judge a topic you haven't read a word of. Your comments aimed at PvE are ludicrously uninformed kiddo. Unless, of course, you are an Instigator build instead of Destroyer.

Um, how about unless of course I read the stats you get via feats? I use some instigate with destroyer for buff in groups, with an easy switch of only TWO skills whether I'm in PvE or PvP. In PvP, I make sure I increase resistance to controlling effects and add some invincibility through some other skills (temporary, non-exploitative). For PvE, massive damage in groups, wide strikes, stacking buffs for more damage. Duh. I'll watch you use RS from afar in a T1. Try it in T2. No time, adds are too fast. I wish I could put the boot to heads in PvE like PvP. Mine would be on your neck.
  • Options
    terhixterhix Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 242 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Having leveled up a cleric to 60 and gearing her to 10.6k I can say - yes, Sure Strike is as horrible as everybody makes it. It is hands down the worst at-will attack in the entire game.

Using only at-wills my non-dps specced Cleric will outdps my destroyer specced GWF simply by using brand of the sun and astral seal spam (I stack debuff from righteous tree), if I stop using astral seal and just spam lance with brand, the gap gets ridiculous.

Sure Strike needs to at very least do as much dps as Sly Flourish (which is not even Rogue's hardest hitting at-will).
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    terhix wrote: »
    Having leveled up a cleric to 60 and gearing her to 10.6k I can say - yes, Sure Strike is as horrible as everybody makes it. It is hands down the worst at-will attack in the entire game.

Using only at-wills my non-dps specced Cleric will outdps my destroyer specced GWF simply by using brand of the sun and astral seal spam (I stack debuff from righteous tree), if I stop using astral seal and just spam lance with brand, the gap gets ridiculous.

Sure Strike needs to at very least do as much dps as Sly Flourish (which is not even Rogue's hardest hitting at-will).

All of my this.
  • Options
    tarmalentarmalen Member Posts: 1,020 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Never gonna give you up.....

Wait what? I look good using Sure Strike! I look even more manly when I undress and swing it...I mean it is labeled SURE STRIKE!
  • Options
    chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited June 2013
    I would love to use Reaping strike if they could remove the cripple effect during the charge up.
  • Options
    vortix44vortix44 Member Posts: 680 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    someone is doing it wrong.

And for some reason you chose to blame the community of players. For using the one and only single-target At-will when facing a single target. You do realize that right from the start you cannot be doing the right thing here. Go and see the devs, tell them about At-wills and GWFs.
    Imagine a car that was built without an engine. What you're doing with your post is telling the people Hey, you're trying to sit at the driver's seat, use the wheel and pedals? You're stupid, you have no brain. What you have to do is go out and then push the car. I have compared my own performance with someone who had the same car, and in one hour I moved half a mile, when he remained stuck at the same place.
    English is not my first language.
  • Options
    tarmalentarmalen Member Posts: 1,020 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Meh..I prefer using at wills that will do what I need when I need. I could see using RS on a prone or stunned target maybe in pvp, maybe.

Otherwise I would rate WMS/WS as must haves for PVE.
  • Options
    a2ura2ur Member Posts: 32
    edited June 2013
    I stop reading after this "Power > Crit > Recovery > ArP". You have no idea how gwf works if you say that power is the most important stat. When ppl realise that power is the worst stat on gwf? The most important is crit and recovery. You should have about 3300+ crit and 3000+ recovery. On offense slots stack tenebrous enchantments not useless power that give you nothing.
  • Options
    meeshimeeshi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I use sure strike. not for damage but because i feel it brings a kind of indirect utility. Here's why:

To me all the GWF at wills are rather disappointing and lackluster, however i love the student of the sword debuff. To me the animation of sure strike feels much faster than the others and since i stack crit i find it useful it getting off three quick crit strikes before running into my encounter rotation. So i will agree that it is indeed even more pathetic than the other at wills at dealing damage, but i find it better at keeping student of the sword debuff up on a target.
    "Whether i am kind or cruel, is all determined on a whim..." - Ologig