test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

To The GWF Community: Sure Strike, Stop Using It

13»

Comments

• Options
    chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited June 2013
    a2ur wrote: »
    I stop reading after this "Power > Crit > Recovery > ArP". You have no idea how gwf works if you say that power is the most important stat. When ppl realise that power is the worst stat on gwf? The most important is crit and recovery. You should have about 3300+ crit and 3000+ recovery. On offense slots stack tenebrous enchantments not useless power that give you nothing.

Armor Penetration > Crit / Recover > everything else > Power if you pvp :)
  • Options
    chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited June 2013
    meeshi wrote: »
    I use sure strike. not for damage but because i feel it brings a kind of indirect utility. Here's why:

To me all the GWF at wills are rather disappointing and lackluster, however i love the student of the sword debuff. To me the animation of sure strike feels much faster than the others and since i stack crit i find it useful it getting off three quick crit strikes before running into my encounter rotation. So i will agree that it is indeed even more pathetic than the other at wills at dealing damage, but i find it better at keeping student of the sword debuff up on a target.

Hopefully Sure strike gets some loving from the devs next patch. It needs a good 25% damage boost.
  • Options
    urlagurlag Member Posts: 68
    edited June 2013
    imo stat gearing should be ~2200 armor pen > 30% crit/ ??%recovery > defensive stats (defence/deflect/lifesteal)

power should only be sought AFTER the crit/recov section from above and ONLY if you desire to sacrifice your defensive stats and thus your survivability (aka. pure glass cannon)
    imo, i would rather have a decent more survivability, then a SMALL increase to dmg.

a gwf thats dodging absolute every source of dmg, is one thats gimping his own dmg, due to less % of time actually dealing dmg and having much lower determination gain.
    (not saying you should try to get hit with all ground circles/cones, just stand in the persistant dmg circles and take only 1 or 2 ticks from the channeled dmg cones, just let your cleric know before hand to make sure they are ok with it)
    (as it is right now, i require the least amount of healing in every group i enter, and that's strait from the dc's mouth)
    (less healing required for me = more healing that gets assigned to the squishy targets)
    (ive even been told, from the dc that i do CN with, that when im in the group, group survival goes way up)
  • Options
    trickshawtrickshaw Member Posts: 497 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    urlag wrote: »
    imo stat gearing should be ~2200 armor pen > 30% crit/ ??%recovery > defensive stats (defence/deflect/lifesteal)

power should only be sought AFTER the crit/recov section from above and ONLY if you desire to sacrifice your defensive stats and thus your survivability (aka. pure glass cannon)
    imo, i would rather have a decent more survivability, then a SMALL increase to dmg.

a gwf thats dodging absolute every source of dmg, is one thats gimping his own dmg, due to less % of time actually dealing dmg and having much lower determination gain.
    (not saying you should try to get hit with all ground circles/cones, just stand in the persistant dmg circles and take only 1 or 2 ticks from the channeled dmg cones, just let your cleric know before hand to make sure they are ok with it)
    (as it is right now, i require the least amount of healing in every group i enter, and that's strait from the dc's mouth)
    (less healing required for me = more healing that gets assigned to the squishy targets)
    (ive even been told, from the dc that i do CN with, that when im in the group, group survival goes way up)

(Running full on defensive with only ArP as your offensive stat is something I've tried and the results were extraordinary.) (This was only for PvP mind you.) (A lot of fun.) (But generally speaking I agree with most of this.)

(Also, what is up with all the parenthesis?)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tyr216tyr216 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    trickshaw wrote: »

(Also, what is up with all the parenthesis?)

(Not sure, but I think it's mildly contagious.)
  • Options
    spacejewspacejew Member Posts: 1,044 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    a2ur wrote: »
    I stop reading after this "Power > Crit > Recovery > ArP". You have no idea how gwf works if you say that power is the most important stat. When ppl realise that power is the worst stat on gwf? The most important is crit and recovery. You should have about 3300+ crit and 3000+ recovery. On offense slots stack tenebrous enchantments not useless power that give you nothing.

The reason why I like power is because I use Battle Awareness and Steely Defense. The higher your base power, the more you get out of the 25% extra power while Slam is running. It's actually one of the main ways I deal AoE damage, and it works fine. I imagine the end result difference between the two isn't that big but whatever floats your boat. ArP probably pulls ahead in T2 but neither ordering completely ignores ArP or Power.

Don't get me wrong, I wish Sure Strike was good enough but it just isn't. The non-splitting damage it deals to a single target is still too weak to justify bringing a GWF focused on single-target damage in this way. Perhaps when stacked with Plaguefire and Student of the Sword it becomes a contender, but I haven't tested that so I couldn't say.

I can say that just with SotS it still falls short even with high crit.
    MoF/Thaum CW SS/Thaum CW IV/Protector GF SW/Combat HR SM/Destroyer GWF WK/Executioner TR DO/Faithful DC
  • Options
    chuckwolfchuckwolf Member Posts: 634 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Hopefully Sure strike gets some loving from the devs next patch. It needs a good 25% damage boost.

Actually all the gwf's damage powers that are based on using the sword need to be 3 times as strong as they currently are.
    @Powerblast in game
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I think I've accounted for some of the people I've seen running Sure Strike and inexplicably being successful with it.

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?320271-Can-we-please-address-the-plague-fire-and-tenebrous-enchant-problem
    MoF/Thaum CW SS/Thaum CW IV/Protector GF SW/Combat HR SM/Destroyer GWF WK/Executioner TR DO/Faithful DC
  • Options
    zylaxxzylaxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 591 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    meeshi wrote: »
    I use sure strike. not for damage but because i feel it brings a kind of indirect utility. Here's why:

To me all the GWF at wills are rather disappointing and lackluster, however i love the student of the sword debuff. To me the animation of sure strike feels much faster than the others and since i stack crit i find it useful it getting off three quick crit strikes before running into my encounter rotation. So i will agree that it is indeed even more pathetic than the other at wills at dealing damage, but i find it better at keeping student of the sword debuff up on a target.

The animation not only appears faster it IS faster. In the time an instigator spec can get off 3 wicked strikes (out of unstoppable) I will get off 4 and sometimes 5 with SS. As for trash or minion types it doesn't matter, WMS is perfectly fine for that job but when it comes time to take down the big guy of the pack my sure strike, IBS, Flourish and Restoring strike will do near the amount of damage as anyone else due to my debuffs and unstoppable use. Meanwhile the instigator is left in the dust on those types of mobs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character is what a man is in the dark
  • Options
    zylaxxzylaxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 591 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    spacejew wrote: »
    The reason why I like power is because I use Battle Awareness and Steely Defense. The higher your base power, the more you get out of the 25% extra power while Slam is running. It's actually one of the main ways I deal AoE damage, and it works fine. I imagine the end result difference between the two isn't that big but whatever floats your boat. ArP probably pulls ahead in T2 but neither ordering completely ignores ArP or Power.

Don't get me wrong, I wish Sure Strike was good enough but it just isn't. The non-splitting damage it deals to a single target is still too weak to justify bringing a GWF focused on single-target damage in this way. Perhaps when stacked with Plaguefire and Student of the Sword it becomes a contender, but I haven't tested that so I couldn't say.

I can say that just with SotS it still falls short even with high crit.

Plaguefire, 4 Tennebous and Student of the Sword makes Sure Strike super powerful in my opinion. I don't parse but with that set up no other GWF save for the ones using this setup does the amount of damage in a dungeon as I do. I routinely outdamage rogues in our guild T2 DD's.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character is what a man is in the dark
  • Options
    ophalaophala Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    zylaxx wrote: »
    Plaguefire, 4 Tennebous and Student of the Sword makes Sure Strike super powerful in my opinion. I don't parse but with that set up no other GWF save for the ones using this setup does the amount of damage in a dungeon as I do. I routinely outdamage rogues in our guild T2 DD's.

Tennebous proccs off every dmg you do - and I mean EVERY dmg - all dots and so on, so it will instantly procc when internal cd is over so yeah I see no point of using SS. Even with full Tene slotted equip.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    zylaxx wrote: »

I bet it is powerful since people are begging for that combination of enchants to be rebalanced since they're resulting in easy one shots in PvP for CW and TR. However, like all things, compare yourself to an equally slotted CW or TR with the same enchants.

I guess no one bothered to look at that forum topic I listed, but it definitely explains how you can be successful in using Sure Strike. Mainly because you can exploit two of the most broken enchants faster with Sure Strike.

I'd be wary of buying those enchants at the moment though, since they are most definitely going to be nerfed and nerfed hard when you consider their PvP performance. I'd expect that to drop at the same time they rebalance the classes, but if they were at all intelligent they would put out a hotfix because it's pretty common forum knowledge that they're broken at this point. It's going to get much worse before it gets better.