test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Can I talk during a skirmish in Italian?

asamax64asamax64 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
During a skirmish I and my friend were talking in Italian, when one of the members of the group told us that we had to speak in English

because the game is English. Precisely American. is it so?
Post edited by asamax64 on

Comments

• Options
    eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Tell them to stuff it. It's an international program.

Edit:

Actually, to be fair - the majority of people in the skirmish probably only speak English.
    Speaking a language no one else understands, might be completely innocent, but imagine how the others in the skirmish feel -- did you laugh at something your friend mentioned? Everyone else might assume you were laughing at them, or about something they did or did not do.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it is disrespectful of everyone else, but at least not thinking how others might perceive someone speaking in another language. Now, if the game were based in Italy, and the majority of players were Italian, I'd go the opposite way and say anyone *should* attempt to communicate in the games regional language.

So, I'd say if possible, you should strive to speak so that the majority won't feel self conscious. ;)
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited April 2014
    No.

The game is not English. it is international. Hence why lockbox reward notifications are broadcasted in different languages.

These forums are English only because in order for us to moderate the forums it is pretty important that we can understand the posts. Likewise the other language forums such as the French and German Forums are French and German only respectively. :)
  • Options
    archsinner81archsinner81 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 44
    edited April 2014
    Of course you can, but hope you can maybe switch to Raidcall or something else. So private conversation remain private
    Sometime it's irritating, to listen to some language that you don't understand at all, specially you have no idea if it directed at you.
    Then there is the mute function, which just take 5 sec to activate. I generally use it when someone is blasting insults during a Pug PVP.
  • Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    i can't see how someone speaking their native tongue in a public setting is considered rude. if you are bothered by such, you can always ignore the player as excessive as that sounds.
  • Options
    kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    It's an international game, the only hope of it working is if people try to stick to a common language when grouped with people from all over. No-one's expecting great literature in party chat, but "go", "wait", "help" and so forth are easy enough to pick up.

(I used to play PvP in another game frequently with a Spanish guild, and soon realised that learning ten or so basic words let me be effective and co-ordinate with them)

It's actually why I am really glad that there are separate Russian servers, even if it's probably due to financial/regulatory complexities. For whatever reason, Russians in other MMOs like to crash around bellowing in Russian while all the other peoples of the world wince. It has lead to Russian "ghetto" servers that others abandoned.

Anyway, while it's not forbidden per se, talking Italian in a public channel or international PUG is going to do you very little good, and make people dislike you for your lack of basic courtesy. It will also restrict the number and type of people who'd want to group with you. Whether that's an issue for you is of course your decision.
  • Options
    iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Speak whatever language you want ,if anyone in your team has issues with it tell them not to pug.
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • Options
    skalt112skalt112 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    If it bothers me , i just mute thier mic. Normally I don't care unless it's pvp and some person is incessantly talking (in any language) as it interferes with hearing audio cues for some abilities. I mean, i am exceedingly happy that your daughter cut her first tooth, but pvp is not the place i need to hear about it.
  • Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    magenubbie wrote: »
    Come on... Imagine yourself on an international conference and you're discussing things in a group. Since this is an international event, the chosen language is English (or any other language every attendant should be able to speak, English is just an example). Suddenly, 2 people of that group start speaking in a language the 3 others do not understand, Bulgarian for instance. What will happen to the people that do not speak that language? These 3 people will feel left out, and not taken seriously at that point. What are they talking about? Are they laughing at you, your haircut or an idea someone else put forward? Now you see why I call it rude and impolite? Not to mention you're actively preventing team communication, which for a LOT of people is important in this game.

When 1 of the 2 announces he's translating for his co-worker, it becomes a different matter of course.

i think the entire basis here is that english as a global language is not the requirement in-game. if it's insulting to you, then you have the tools to block it. on the flip side of that, if the majority of language spoken by players in-game is english, then you could be alienating yourself by not speaking english especially if you speak it.

i, personally, don't have an issue with people speaking other languages. even if they're talking trash in those languages, it doesn't mean that what they're saying is true. on one hand, it is a perspective issue. on the other, it could be alienating you.
  • Options
    kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    skalt112 wrote: »
    If it bothers me , i just mute thier mic.

Never ever ever have public voice chat enabled, ever. You only need one chubby racist tween munching his way open-mouthed through a family bag of Doritos while screaming into a headset to understand why :D

Guild parties are more likely to have standards of acceptable behaviour. If they don't, get a nicer guild.
  • Options
    skalt112skalt112 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    kattefjaes wrote: »
    Never ever ever have public voice chat enabled, ever. You only need one chubby racist tween munching his way open-mouthed through a family bag of Doritos while wearing screaming into a headset to understand why :D

Guild parties are more likely to have standards of acceptable behaviour. If they don't, get a nicer guild.

I was in a pug yeasterday and this guy was talking non stop about how good he was and that he was only getting killed constantly because the other group was a premade. I typed in chat that I didn't think the other team was premade, they were just better. the dude went balistic, called me the N word repatedly, was talking about how I worship obama etc... I was like....**** that is one angry person. Funny how Americans automatically think everyone else American.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    First of all thanks for your answers.

All of you in some way are right.

Anyway to clarify, I was just telling to my partner what to do being her first skirmish.

But forcing people to speak a language saying that the game is of that nationality, seems to me wrong.

Should i speak to my partner in English, even if she doesnt know?

Of course when you are in a pug, greeting and answering in the most known language, English, seems right and polite.

As You may have noticed I tryed to express myself in a passable English in this forum,knowing that the used language is English
    Sorry again if I disturbed, thanks again
  • Options
    thestaggythestaggy Member Posts: 1,102 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    OP - I will say that by speaking in party chat you will make other people assume you are talking to them, so they will get confused and ask you to speak English. And it isn't because everyone is English but because English is the ''common'' language most people will understand. Rather speak to your friend in private chat to avoid abuse and to avoid confusing your party.

Personaly, if you were in my group and you were speaking Italian I'd ask you what you are saying and tell you that I don't understand. It is party chat after all, I'll assume you are trying to talk to all of us.

I don't think it is always people being intolerant, just that this is a game that has people from all over the world playing and seeing different languages popping up in your party chat will confuse you. The person might think ''I don't understand your language so I don't know what you are saying''. Who are you talking to? Are you asking for something? Do you want the CW to do something? Are you fighting with the DC? ''I just don't know what you are saying and it is probably distracting me''.
    Never ever ever have public voice chat enabled, ever. You only need one chubby racist tween munching his way open-mouthed through a family bag of Doritos while screaming into a headset to understand why :D

The best is being cursed out by someone who can barely speak English. It's mainly English swearwords mixed in with a foreign language.
    PSA: You don't need to grind Spinward Rise for your Elemental artifact main hand if you have some AD lying around. You can craft it via the Tyranny of Dragon's campaign screen.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    asamax64 wrote: »
    First of all thanks for your answers.

All of you in some way are right.

Anyway to clarify, I was just telling to my partner what to do being her first skirmish.

Can I make a suggestion, then? Tell your group that- as clearly as you have just told us. Then no-one will be too disturbed, as they know what you're doing and why.

It's very offputting to join a group to see a wall of Italian or Polish if you don't understand that language. I tend to leave a group if they are apparently rudely excluding me. However, if someone says "hi, sorry for the Italian, I am explaining to ZergMaster, she has never done a skirmish before", it makes all the difference. A little courtesy on all sides will help a lot.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Can I make a suggestion, then? Tell your group that- as clearly as you have just told us. Then no-one will be too disturbed, as they know what you're doing and why.

It's very offputting to join a group to see a wall of Italian or Polish if you don't understand that language. I tend to leave a group if they are apparently rudely excluding me. However, if someone says "hi, sorry for the Italian, I am explaining to ZergMaster, she has never done a skirmish before", it makes all the difference. A little courtesy on all sides will help a lot.
    I did. I told him what i was doing
    But its seems he doesnt care. He just wanted me to speak English cause it is a english game from California, USA.
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I love how people assume EVERYONE knows English AND is comfortable enough to speak it. If you have a problem with people speaking in languages you can't understand, there's a very easy solution. Learn more languages :)

But it's incredibly narrow-minded to assume everyone knows English, and demand that they always speak English in your presence.

For a lot of non-Americans, English can actually be a tough language to learn, let alone type and speak in a fast-action game like Neverwinter.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    nameexpirednameexpired Member Posts: 1,282 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    magenubbie wrote: »
    That's plain nonsense. The game isn't translated into several languages for nothing. If you explained the issue, only losers should have a problem with it.
    I also think it's perfectly all right to use the language you both are most fluent in, but telling to your party why is also nice.
    as for your experience with this american, not all are like him, and you can get a donkey from every country, just 'cause there are many americans means that you have slightly higher odds to meed one ;)
    Imaginary Friends are the best friends you can have!
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I did. I told him what i was doing
    But its seems he doesnt care. He just wanted me to speak English cause it is a english game from California, USA.

Then he's an idiot, and I shouldn't let it worry you. There are a lot of them about. I am sorry that you had a bad experience, please don't let it sour you.
    ironzerg79 wrote: »
    For a lot of non-Americans, English can actually be a tough language to learn, let alone type and speak in a fast-action game like Neverwinter.

"For a lot of non-Americans"? How adorably parochial.
  • Options
    silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I would just mute thier mikes, I dont care if they talk really.

IT would bother me more if people got on and started yelling in English demands to run a pug skirmish.. Skirmishes is where I get to play around, using subpar powers ,rotations, ect ect.. since no one should be dying anyways and its going to be done quickly.. I might stack my DC for damage, just to get a title or something, or my CW, try wierd combos feats just for fun.

Dcs are kind of fun in skirms, as you could be first in all categories.
  • Options
    postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    If the eu (and rest of world) folk have to suffer dodgy latency thanks to it being a murican game then it's only fair that they get to speak their native languages. :p

If the idiot in question here is that small minded just stick them on ignore and you should never hear from them again.

I'm an english speaker but at times I will feel the need to thicken my scots accent and maybe use a bit more dialect, it's amusing to punish the narrow minded by making their little brains overheat.
  • Options
    tarmelfintarmelfin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 38
    edited April 2014
    it's distracting more than irritating. usually i am not reacting... Just shutting mic down and nicely works...
  • Options
    ryugasiriusryugasirius Member Posts: 996 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    You can talk in any language you want, it is not a bannable offense, but it is not polite either if you are in a PuG, unless you tell the rest of your party that you are just explaining things to a friend that doesn't speak english.

Also, English in its basic form is quite easy to learn, and most people playing international MMOs can at least understand it (because most countries school system have a mandatory foreign language course and english is often the top choice). There is nothing "nationalistic" about that, it's just easy to learn and spoken by most people, thus whenever you can you should speak English publicly (at least, IMHO).
  • Options
    komodoonekomodoone Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 64
    edited April 2014
    skalt112 wrote: »
    If it bothers me , i just mute thier mic. Normally I don't care unless it's pvp and some person is incessantly talking (in any language) as it interferes with hearing audio cues for some abilities. I mean, i am exceedingly happy that your daughter cut her first tooth, but pvp is not the place i need to hear about it.

lol, yes people can be annoying in English too.
  • Options
    spongebob56spongebob56 Member Posts: 234 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    During a skirmish I and my friend were talking in Italian, when one of the members of the group

Please don't use the in-game voice chat to talk to your buddies. I don't care what language you use, I don't want to hear it. Use it when you have to relay a message or ask a question to the team. There are plenty of voice chat clients you can run alongside Neverwinter to talk with your buddies.
  • Options
    akemnosakemnos Member Posts: 597 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    People seriously need to grow a thicker skin. If i join a pug and a couple people start talking in a language i dont know my first thought is not going to be are they making fun of me. Even if they were big deal, who cares what the hell some random person from half way around the world is saying about me. It has absolutely no affect on anything i do.
  • Options
    psyb3rtr011psyb3rtr011 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    melodywhr wrote: »
    i can't see how someone speaking their native tongue in a public setting is considered rude. if you are bothered by such, you can always ignore the player as excessive as that sounds.

Or you can learn some Italian! :-D Capisci!
    Psyb3rTr011
    AKA Cyber Troll and Euben Hadd
This discussion has been closed.