test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

WTS / Offer Behaviour

xylithanxylithan Member Posts: 54
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I've come across this multiple times on Neverwinter. Someone was spamming "WTS Phoera" in Zone chat. I'm interested in buying it so I message the seller. I ask what they want for it, they reply with "AD or Gold, make an offer". Ok so I make an offer roughly around what I think it's worth. I then receive no reply, and then try whispering back to find he/she has put me on /ignore.

This isn't the only case, I've had people say "Offer" then when you offer, they reply with abuse.

Did I miss a meeting or something? Are we meant to be abusive when trading items now?

Has anyone else been experiencing this?
Post edited by xylithan on

Comments

• Options
    clortbagsclortbags Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    xylithan wrote: »
    I've come across this multiple times on Neverwinter. Someone was spamming "WTS Phoera" in Zone chat. I'm interested in buying it so I message the seller. I ask what they want for it, they reply with "AD or Gold, make an offer". Ok so I make an offer roughly around what I think it's worth. I then receive no reply, and then try whispering back to find he/she has put me on /ignore.

This isn't the only case, I've had people say "Offer" then when you offer, they reply with abuse.

Did I miss a meeting or something? Are we meant to be abusive when trading items now?

Has anyone else been experiencing this?

Your offer probably wasn't close to what the seller hoped to get or they've previously had a same/better offer also if a seller replies to you via PM it means they have to re-type/link their zone chat WTS spam message out again before furiously hammering it out 10 times a minute.

A lot of people in zone chat seem to have no clue what an item's worth and lack the basic maths skill required to convert prices between 3 different currencies.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Can't they just copy paste a message ? It's really not that difficult, and not coming close to what they hoped does not warrant an offensive response.
  • Options
    clortbagsclortbags Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Can't they just copy paste a message ? It's really not that difficult, and not coming close to what they hoped does not warrant an offensive response.

You can copy out of chat but can't paste in...

I'm not sure how not responding to you could be classed as an offensive response unless there's something you forgot to include in your original post.
  • Options
    vheraunvheraun Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 180 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    clortbags wrote: »
    You can copy out of chat but can't paste in...

I'm not sure how not responding to you could be classed as an offensive response unless there's something you forgot to include in your original post.

Umm, actually you can. Well, not with right click, but Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V work.

On topic, I don't really see this as a problem. They ignore you, big deal. There's ten thousand more people wanting to sell to or buy from you.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Yes you can copy and past using ctrl + C and ctrl + V in chat. The ignoring me was just baffling is what I'm getting at. When you offer and get responses like "Haha yea right, **** off ****"
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    vheraun wrote: »
    Umm, actually you can. Well, not with right click, but Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V work.

On topic, I don't really see this as a problem. They ignore you, big deal. There's ten thousand more people wanting to sell to or buy from you.

Ah I'm old school I use Ctrl+Insert to copy and Shift+Insert to paste....

The copy works but not the paste I'll try V&C thx!
  • Options
    xen1912xen1912 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 309 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Yes you can copy and past using ctrl + C and ctrl + V in chat. The ignoring me was just baffling is what I'm getting at. When you offer and get responses like "Haha yea right, **** off ****"

may I ask what you thought it was worth?

• Options
    edited June 2013
    xen1912 wrote: »
    may I ask what you thought it was worth?

This is what I was interested in before we got sidetracked with the copy+paste irrelevance...
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Phoera? I offered 80kAD or 70kAD and 30g. Regardless of the offer, responding with offensive remarks is really the way to go?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Phoera? I offered 80kAD or 70kAD and 30g. Regardless of the offer, responding with offensive remarks is really the way to go?

The phoera is roughly worth 100k. so you weren't really off. just a jerk I suppose.

• Options
    knoteskadknoteskad Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    This is why I avoid "offers" it's a really stupid way to sell things IMO.

Unless you rip yourself off it's pointless lol.

Or if someone says "Offer, no less than 50k"

Ok... then 50k?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    If they are going for the bartering side of it, then surely as a rule you always offer lower then you're willing to pay so you have some room to bargain with. I can understand that. What baffles me is they come across as wanting to barter, you start offering then they proceed to reply with abusive remarks. If they aren't willing to barter, why not just say a definite price?
  • Options
    runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The phoera is roughly worth 100k. so you weren't really off. just a jerk I suppose.

The price dropped that much? I sold one on the AH for 175K not that long ago. Regardless, I agree the guy was probably just a jerk.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • Options
    knoteskadknoteskad Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    If they are going for the bartering side of it, then surely as a rule you always offer lower then you're willing to pay so you have some room to bargain with. I can understand that. What baffles me is they come across as wanting to barter, you start offering then they proceed to reply with abusive remarks. If they aren't willing to barter, why not just say a definite price?

Because they're hoping someone stupid comes along and offers something stupid out of ignorance.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    There's usually plenty of them on the auction house for between 80 & 90k...

That's where I would have went if I was willing to play the going rate like you say.
  • Options
    arcbladezarcbladez Member Posts: 210 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Do like me and prank'em to see how far they will go. :) I haven't pranked anyone yet on NW yet, but I have several times in WoW, and this is what they would look like if it was in NW:

Me: How much is your Phoera?
    Seller: Make me an offer
    Me: I dunno how much it's worth, what are you offering it for?
    Seller: Just make me an offer and we'll deal
    Me: You're selling it, you make me an offer. When I buy stuff on Ebay, there's always a minimum price, so know your role and do the same!
    Seller: 500,000 AD
    Me: I don't have 500k AD
    Seller: How much do you have?
    Me: That's none of your business. But since you asked how much I have, I assume that means you are willing to part with it for less than 500k AD. So how much do you wanna sell it for?
    Me: Hello?
    Seller is ignoring you.

LMAO! Give'em a taste of their own medicine! Cause you do know why idiots like that do stuff like that, right? It's because they are looking to scam a clueless no-ob player! They wanna find someone who is dumber than they already are so they can try suckering them into spending more money than the majority of other players. It takes lots of patience, but it usually pays off in the end, which is sad, but that doesn't mean I can't have fun with them in the mean time. :D
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    arcbladez wrote: »
    Do like me and prank'em to see how far they will go. :) I haven't pranked anyone yet on NW yet, but I have several times in WoW, and this is what they would look like if it was in NW:

Me: How much is your Phoera?
    Seller: Make me an offer
    Me: I dunno how much it's worth, what are you offering it for?
    Seller: Just make me an offer and we'll deal
    Me: You're selling it, you make me an offer. When I buy stuff on Ebay, there's always a minimum price, so know your role and do the same!
    Seller: 500,000 AD
    Me: I don't have 500k AD
    Seller: How much do you have?
    Me: That's none of your business. But since you asked how much I have, I assume that means you are willing to part with it for less than 500k AD. So how much do you wanna sell it for?
    Me: Hello?
    Seller is ignoring you.

LMAO! Give'em a taste of their own medicine! Cause you do know why idiots like that do stuff like that, right? It's because they are looking to scam a clueless no-ob player! They wanna find someone who is dumber than they already are so they can try suckering them into spending more money than the majority of other players. It takes lots of patience, but it usually pays off in the end, which is sad, but that doesn't mean I can't have fun with them in the mean time. :D

if I was the trolling type, I would probably do that. but its true. the only reason somebody does WTS offers on zone chat is either to get gold, get AD fast, or to scam. and a lot of time its a scam type thing.

• Options
    xiolinxiolin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    There is another reason why people do this "Offer" sales. It's to get a rough idea of the value of the item. But this is for items that is rare or so and the value is not available to you. In a previous game i played, i got a rare skill drop (yes, skill level scrolls drop in game), and me or my guildmates didn't really have a clue on it's normal value. So i asked for offers (ofcourse i wasn't planning to sell it at that time). After seeing all the offers, some which was ridiculously low compared to others, I found a good base price and then put it in auction for bid. (And no, putting bid at 1 and buyout at 999999999 is just not something i like to do)
    Xilly The Silly Dwarf of Eyrda :P
    Waiting for a cool sig T.T
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    xiolin wrote: »
    There is another reason why people do this "Offer" sales. It's to get a rough idea of the value of the item. But this is for items that is rare or so and the value is not available to you. In a previous game i played, i got a rare skill drop (yes, skill level scrolls drop in game), and me or my guildmates didn't really have a clue on it's normal value. So i asked for offers (ofcourse i wasn't planning to sell it at that time). After seeing all the offers, some which was ridiculously low compared to others, I found a good base price and then put it in auction for bid. (And no, putting bid at 1 and buyout at 999999999 is just not something i like to do)

That would apply if the game was 3 weeks ago.. nobody knew the price of a dragon egg or a lot of other stuff back then. for now, almost all items have a well known price.

• Options
    xiolinxiolin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    That would apply if the game was 3 weeks ago.. nobody knew the price of a dragon egg or a lot of other stuff back then. for now, almost all items have a well known price.

True. What i said mostly apply to when new content comes out or when the game is new. But just letting it out there that there are other reasons why people ask for offers.

I agree with what most of you said about it being an underhanded technique sometimes used to scam people. So research first :)
    Xilly The Silly Dwarf of Eyrda :P
    Waiting for a cool sig T.T
  • Options
    blaumkerblaumker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 75
    edited June 2013
    xiolin wrote: »
    True. What i said mostly apply to when new content comes out or when the game is new. But just letting it out there that there are other reasons why people as for offers.

I agree with what most of you said about it being an underhanded technique sometimes used to scam people. So research first :)

Also agree, it's one thing to offer something up that's new or rare enough that you don't see it on the AH.

It's quite another to want to "make an offer" on something that has 30-40 of them on the AH, all with buyouts in the general vicinity of one another. The person is looking for a scam---if they wanted to sell it really fast or give a good deal, they'd undercut by 10% and have it gone before they got to the mailbox.

I suppose it's also possible that they want gold, since it isn't readily available without outright farming for it. Also beware the guys that want keys---they either completely fail at the math to figure out what they're worth in AD, or know it and are dishonest.

Either way, there are enough bad apples spamming garbage in the zone chat that it probably isn't worth bothering with anyone there until they are gone.
  • Options
    mance7mance7 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I've experience this as well in MANY mmo's. I have a strong back ground with business education and 20 years experience in business. And the first rule of 'selling' is know the value of your item and what you want for it. It is not the buyers responsibility to guess what you want for it. Which is exactly what these blind 'Make me a offer' people are doing. The other major problem is the 'Make me a offer' folks have no idea how to haggle or barter over price. They want a fixed price allot of the time, and will sell it to first person that guesses their imagined price. Silly. If you know what you want for it, and have a fixed price in mind. They have an Auction house for that! Direct trade is, and only for those that want to dump something fast, at usually a reduced rate. I simply do not respond to 'Make me a Offer' silly people anymore. They have no idea what they are doing. Now if someone specifically puts up WTS [Item X] for 50, 000 AD. Chances are that is the opening price they want, and by the rules of batter, and haggle you should be able to knock that down 10-15% just by going back and forth. But that is a lost art, and allot of young people do not understand what the true spirit of trade is. They have been raised in the, "It costs 49.99" no exception price fixing corporate era.

EDIT: And never ever believe someone that says 'I have this offer already'. That is in poor forum, and usually a flat out lie. Because if you did get that offer, and your ok with that offer. Why are you still taking offers. Your offending both the new offers and the guy that offered higher. Keep your offers secret. Its the polite way to do business. And just so where clear. Bidding and offers are not the same thing. When someone tells me they got 'this offer already' I ask for the name of the person offering that . As the seller just made it a public auction bid and in a bidding war you confront your opponent. See the difference there. If they refuse to give it. You know the offer was a lie for fluff.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    mance7 wrote: »
    I've experience this as well in MANY mmo's. I have a strong back ground with business education and 20 years experience in business. And the first rule of 'selling' is know the value of your item and what you want for it. It is not the buyers responsibility to guess what you want for it. Which is exactly what these blind 'Make me a offer' people are doing. The other major problem is the 'Make me a offer' folks have no idea how to haggle or barter over price. They want a fixed price allot of the time, and will sell it to first person that guesses their imagined price. Silly. If you know what you want for it, and have a fixed price in mind. They have an Auction house for that! Direct trade is, and only for those that want to dump something fast, at usually a reduced rate. I simply do not respond to 'Make me a Offer' silly people anymore. They have no idea what they are doing. Now if someone specifically puts up WTS [Item X] for 50, 000 AD. Chances are that is the opening price they want, and by the rules of batter, and haggle you should be able to knock that down 10-15% just by going back and forth. But that is a lost art, and allot of young people do not understand what the true spirit of trade is. They have been raised in the, "It costs 49.99" no exception price fixing corporate era.

EDIT: And never ever believe someone that says 'I have this offer already'. That is in poor forum, and usually a flat out lie. Because if you did get that offer, and your ok with that offer. Why are you still taking offers. Your offending both the new offers and the guy that offered higher. Keep your offers secret. Its the polite way to do business. And just so where clear. Bidding and offers are not the same thing. When someone tells me they got 'this offer already' I ask for the name of the person offering that . As the seller just made it a public auction bid and in a bidding war you confront your opponent. See the difference there. If they refuse to give it. You know the offer was a lie for fluff.

yeah... I don't really bother with all that WTS stuff. I don't bother with offers. I even sell on the AH as the cheapest price for the item. you have to know what you want but what you want also has to be a real choice.

• Options
    kurre2kurre2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    How can you even sell anything for AD to another player? I didnt think they were transferable outside the auctionhouse. Gold yes, but AD?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    kurre2 wrote: »
    How can you even sell anything for AD to another player? I didnt think they were transferable outside the auctionhouse. Gold yes, but AD?

There are people who request to put it up on the AH and they will instantly buy it. its one of the perks of advertising an item. an instant sell.

• Options
    kurre2kurre2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    There are people who request to put it up on the AH and they will instantly buy it. its one of the perks of advertising an item. an instant sell.

Aha, thank you for clarifying. :)
  • Options
    mance7mance7 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    kurre2 wrote: »

You can in theory put something up on the AH at an agreed price and exacting time and do the exchange that way. As some people do indeed do. I will never participate in that. Way to much work. Besides, the seller takes a surcharge hit for it. I never understood why people WTS in zone for AD, and find the practice beyond redundant. ( Note I used it for more reference, I only deal in Gold when buying away from the AH)
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    mance7 wrote: »
    You can in theory put something up on the AH at an agreed price and exacting time and do the exchange that way. As some people do indeed do. I will never participate in that. Way to much work. Besides, the seller takes a surcharge hit for it. I never understood why people WTS in zone for AD, and find the practice beyond redundant. ( Note I used it for more reference, I only deal in Gold when buying away from the AH)

well no. the people that do it a lot learn how much the item costs and how much the charge to put it up is and will ask for a bit extra to cover it. but I do agree. its not a form of selling I would ever partake in.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    I had thought about it just now over my smoke. Your right of course. As I would include to 10% as well.