test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Chat Banned. Proof this system sucks.

Comments

• thequeueballthequeueball Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    rictras wrote: »
    He doesn't have the power. It takes a number of reports for this to happen.

Give or take 20 people, in a game with thousands. Again, my argument isn't to stop banning people from zone chat, it's to stop banning people from ALL chat.
  • clannamuirclannamuir Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 217 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    thequeueball,
    You are missing the point. Cryptic has provided ways to sell, and finding a group that does not involve using chat and, you are probably not banned from either. With all the WTS, LFG, LFM messages zone chat is flooded with, it is useless, I have it turned off myself. Banning as player from chat is Cryptic's way of telling you to use the paths they have provided. Plus, it is a way to get a handle on the freaking AD sellers.

Now having defended what exists, here's where I think you may have a grievance. WTB, there is no path for this other than chat. Cryptic needs a message board for this if they want to free up chat.

What I don't like: the AH. I would prefer shops but I can see the argument against shops. What I'd like to see added to in the AH is shorter listing times. While I can understand listing a "purple" item for 4 days, with the present cap and speed of leveling why list any ordinary of crafting item for longer than 12 hours (if I am willing to buy it, I want it NOW!. Also, I think this AH has a fee, drop the stupid fee. It only discourages players from using it.
  • calaminthacalamintha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    c0mixfan wrote: »
    Children? Really? Wow. No wonder you were silenced!

If only the same could be done on the forums...

Well, I would've called them nine foot tall, green and regerating but you are not allowed to.
  • rictrasrictras Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 239 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Give or take 20 people, in a game with thousands. Again, my argument isn't to stop banning people from zone chat, it's to stop banning people from ALL chat.

In order to discourage people from continuing to misbehave, you have to give the punishment some teeth.
    The meaning of life, is to give life meaning.
    edited May 2013
    clannamuir wrote: »
    thequeueball,
    You are missing the point. Cryptic has provided ways to sell, and finding a group that does not involve using chat and, you are probably not banned from either. With all the WTS, LFG, LFM messages zone chat is flooded with, it is useless, I have it turned off myself. Banning as player from chat is Cryptic's way of telling you to use the paths they have provided. Plus, it is a way to get a handle on the freaking AD sellers.

Now having defended what exists, here's where I think you may have a grievance. WTB, there is no path for this other than chat. Cryptic needs a message board for this if they want to free up chat.

What I don't like: the AH. I would prefer shops but I can see the argument against shops. What I'd like to see added to in the AH is shorter listing times. While I can understand listing a "purple" item for 4 days, with the present cap and speed of leveling why list any ordinary of crafting item for longer than 12 hours (if I am willing to buy it, I want it NOW!. Also, I think this AH has a fee, drop the stupid fee. It only discourages players from using it.

I am not missing any point. You cannot sell items for gold on the AH. (a side point)

My point is being banned from all forms of communication in game. No warning, nothing. I linked an item in zone chat, I am not forced to sit around for 24 hours until my chat ban wears out.
    edited May 2013
    In order to discourage people from continuing to misbehave, you have to give the punishment some teeth.

Have you looked at my screenshots? I posted more of the chat log for you.

I linked an item once. I wasn't misbehaving. I wasn't spamming. If people are upset over me linking an item, warn me? Ban me from zone chat for an hour? 24 hours? Fine. That is fair. But you are essentially ruining other people's gaming experience because you can click "report" and only 19 other people (again, in a game of thousands) have to do the same.
    edited May 2013
    If I can't have a conversation with anyone anymore just because someone feels the need to advertise gold, items or looking for whatever.

I'm sorry, but the Zone channel is NOT for conversations. Use the PMs for that.
    /ignore_Spammer vanlichtenstein
  • fangownedfangowned Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    shahualing wrote: »
    To be honest the only people that seem to be, "butthurt" are the people getting banned for spamming trade in zone chat.

I don't get why this is an argument. It's pretty simple, if you spam trade in PE zone chat, you run the likely risk of getting chat banned. So, don't do it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spam_%28electronic%29

Online game messaging

Many online games allow players to contact each other via player-to-player messaging, chat rooms, or public discussion areas. What qualifies as spam varies from game to game, but usually this term applies to all forms of message flooding, violating the terms of service contract for the website. This is particularly common in MMORPGs where the spammers are trying to sell game-related "items" for real-world money, chiefly among these items is in-game currency. It is also considered spam for a user in an MMO to flood the chat box with irrelevant, or nonsensical messages for the sole purpose of annoying other players.

Logging in the game 1st time for the day,posting wts "itemx1" for "x" gold and getting silenced from all chat even pms or guild chat is definetely not flooding chat by any means and definetely proves how broken this system is.
  • erethizon1erethizon1 Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yep, you are the problem. Thank you for at least admitting it.

I wasn't spamming anything, as I showed in my screen shot. If you have a problem with me doing the same thing as everyone else ~ which is NOT against the chat rules ~ then turn off zone chat.

I am not breaking any rules. I am not spamming. You are banning people from chatting through EVERY MEANS in game, not just your precious zone chat. Why is this so hard to understand?

The problem is NOT being chat banned from zone. But from every form of communicating in game. Get a clue kid.

Here is the issue. If ignoring someone only blocked them from zone chat then there would be no real penalty. People would try to sell (or buy) their stuff until they got banned and then would go about playing as normal for 24 hours until the ban was lifted and they could bother people in zone chat again. Being blocked only from zone chat is not much of a penalty. It is very easy to have a fine time playing this game without being able to use zone chat for 24 hours.

The current system gives a real penalty for getting ignored by others. If you get banned then you will indeed have a problem playing for 24 hours. This is good. This means that before you type anything in zone chat you need to ask yourself this question, "Is what I have to say so incredibly important to my enjoyment in this game that it is worth risking a 24 hour ban from all chat just to say it?" If the answer is yes then go for it and hopefully you will not annoy enough people to get banned. But, and this is the important part, if it is not that important then don't type in zone chat. Most people do not care that you want to buy something and for one reason or another don't want to use the auction house. Insisting on making everyone read that is going to open you up to a possible chat ban. Unless you are certain that the reward is worth the risk don't say it in zone chat and use the auction house like everyone else.
  • clannamuirclannamuir Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 217 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I am not missing any point. You cannot sell items for gold on the AH. (a side point)

My point is being banned from all forms of communication in game. No warning, nothing. I linked an item in zone chat, I am not forced to sit around for 24 hours until my chat ban wears out.

Point given, I agree that the currency system was invented by monkeys (or producers with too much time on their hands).
  • robertthebardrobertthebard Member Posts: 543 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    fangowned wrote: »
    To the above <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>,you cant sell items in AH for gold unless i'm missing something.So saying once "wts item" in zone chat is not considered spam,if you dont know what spam is google it.and if you dont like seeing wts messages in zone chat blame the game for not having a trade chat.

Some of the emails I mark as spam in my inbox are people sending me unsolicited offers to buy their product/services. I mark them as spam, and never have to hear from them again. It's nice how that works.

In game, I'm in guild chat, and Zone doesn't come in; I have officially ignored all the "salesmen/women" in chat, w/out reporting a single one. Maybe what they need is an actual Market Place, where players can set up shops to sell their items, and where advertising them is only broadcast in the market place.
    Reading comprehension is essential in a medium that requires reading for communication.
    edited May 2013
    You aren't really getting the concept of punishment has to be severe enough in order to discourage negative actions, do you?

Getting banned from all chat for 24 hours sucks. The people have obviously found what you were doing offensive enough to report you at least 20 times. So, in this system, the people have spoken that what you are doing is a negative action and deserves negative reinforcement.

Now, just take your pill, and realize that you did something wrong. If you choose to do it again, you probably will get chat banned again.

You make it sound like 20 people is a lot. This game has over a thousand in the main city at any given time. 20 people out of that thousand is roughly 2%.

Or better yet, a guild of 20 people sitting in zone chat spamming report on everyone. Imagine that? Not exactly hard to pull off, in fact one person with some free time and a decent computer can pull it off alone.

Again, no other MMO has a system like this. Other, dare I say much more successful, MMOs have established trade chats/lfg chats, and rate limiters that stop the real problems. They don't give people control over other people's gaming experience.

Why do you think it's fair to "punish" people because they wanted to use zone chat how they saw fit? Why is your way the correct way? Perhaps the other 980 people in zone chat don't care that you are linking an item?

20 is far from the majority. Add me to ignore if you don't like what I have to say.
    edited May 2013
    Personally, I enjoy it. It's instant justice.

If I were doing something that garnered enough attention to get chat banned, I probably wouldn't do it again.

Yes because linking an item once, is a reason to be banned from all chat in game.

You are avoiding the issue. You are clearly trolling and from this point forward I will not acknowledge you.
  • ogkeltogkelt Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Sounds like this is proof the system works.
    Don't spam, don't get muted.
  • churchilligcchurchilligc Member Posts: 175 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    my guild already reports anyone not trading/selling/buying.

RP? that's a report
    complaining about gold sellers? that's a report
    poor spelling? that's a report
    complaining about exploiters? that's a report
    wanting a wipe? that's a report

really clears the chat up
  • erethizon1erethizon1 Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You make it sound like 20 people is a lot. This game has over a thousand in the main city at any given time. 20 people out of that thousand is roughly 2%.

Or better yet, a guild of 20 people sitting in zone chat spamming report on everyone. Imagine that? Not exactly hard to pull off, in fact one person with some free time and a decent computer can pull it off alone.

Again, no other MMO has a system like this. Other, dare I say much more successful, MMOs have established trade chats/lfg chats, and rate limiters that stop the real problems. They don't give people control over other people's gaming experience.

Why do you think it's fair to "punish" people because they wanted to use zone chat how they saw fit? Why is your way the correct way? Perhaps the other 980 people in zone chat don't care that you are linking an item?

20 is far from the majority. Add me to ignore if you don't like what I have to say.

Those 20 people speak for a lot more than just 20 people. I really dislike all the stuff that is posted in zone chat in this game. All the comments about buying and selling and looking for groups I would prefer not to be said at all. Having said that, I have never ignored a player in any game ever and will never do so. I do not use the ignore function...ever. However, when one of these people that is posting the above types of comments gets silenced, I am happy. I am glad their needless sentences are no longer flooding my screen. Those 20 people helped me out. They may be 2% but they speak for and represent more than 2% of the players.
    edited May 2013
    erethizon1 wrote: »
    Those 20 people speak for a lot more than just 20 people. I really dislike all the stuff that is posted in zone chat in this game. All the comments about buying and selling and looking for groups I would prefer not to be said at all. Having said that, I have never ignored a player in any game ever and will never do so. I do not use the ignore function...ever. However, when one of these people that is posting the above types of comments gets silenced, I am happy. I am glad their needless sentences are no longer flooding my screen. Those 20 people helped me out. They may be 2% but they speak for and represent more than 2% of the players.

Yes that logic. 2% represent 98% of the people.

Sounds like the wealthy in America.
  • a2ura2ur Member Posts: 32
    edited May 2013
    I just get banned for sending trade msg every 2 min. People that are offering the same trades like I'm just report me to get me banned. Now i can't use chat to find a group. I can't use guild chat. I can't even whisper friends to make a dungeon party. This is ridiculous. Now i can just use useless LFG system that can't even compose party properly.
  • gsundered11gsundered11 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Yes because linking an item once, is a reason to be banned from all chat in game.

You are avoiding the issue. You are clearly trolling and from this point forward I will not acknowledge you.

I don't believe you or your conveniently happening to take screenshots. You were probably a serial spammer over some good period of time and people finally got sick of seeing you constantly touting your stuff. Your screenshots show that people were swamping the chat channel with trades so if people were reporting everyone who made a post I would not blame them. Maybe the rest of them were silenced also but unlike you, they learned their lesson.

You don't want to be silenced then use the trade channel. You don't like the chat rules there's the door over there.
    edited May 2013
    I don't believe you or your conveniently happening to take screenshots. You were probably a serial spammer over some good period of time and people finally got sick of seeing you constantly touting your stuff. Your screenshots show that people were swamping the chat channel with trades so if people were reporting everyone who made a post I would not blame them. Maybe the rest of them were silenced also but unlike you, they learned their lesson.

You don't want to be silenced then use the trade channel. You don't like the chat rules there's the door over there.

Trade channel? Clearly we aren't playing the same game, why are you trying to partake in this discussion?
    edited May 2013
    Joking aside, saying you are going to intentionally abuse the system is probably not a good idea.

Abuse like reporting all trades as spam? Wow. This thread is full of abusers.
    edited May 2013
    Yes, the trade channel, the player-created one. It exists, in this game.

AH THE PLAYER CREATED ONE!!!!!!! The one NOBODY knows about. I should have known. I am so sorry
    That will reach all 2 people that use it.

/sarcasm.
  • preludeiipreludeii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well, the people have spoken and don't like trade spam in zone chat. This is the true essence of a democracy.

So...what should we not do? :rolleyes:
    my guild already reports anyone not trading/selling/buying.

RP? that's a report
    complaining about gold sellers? that's a report
    poor spelling? that's a report
    complaining about exploiters? that's a report
    wanting a wipe? that's a report

really clears the chat up
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFgR0m-9FmM

Joking aside, saying you are going to intentionally abuse the system is probably not a good idea.

^ Seems to me like the people do not like non-trade chat. I see no abuse.
  • gsundered11gsundered11 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Trade channel? Clearly we aren't playing the same game, why are you trying to partake in this discussion?

Yes, the player made trade channel. Or make your own. I don't care so long as I don't have to see your spam. I'd like to see the silencing extended to the forums so we don't have the constant wail of 'but I don't like the rules'. As people have said - posting trades in zone chat runs the risk of being silenced. You now know this. Being silenced or not being silenced is now totally in your own hands.
  • robertthebardrobertthebard Member Posts: 543 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    For all the people in guilds, or that have friends that they can't talk to during their mute, might I suggest one of two widely used chat programs: Vent, or Team Speak. Check it out, it doesn't matter if you can't type into chat, you can either have it voice activated, or Push to Talk. Now, if you get banned from that, we'll have to start suspecting you're having more problems than just posting once to sell something...
    Reading comprehension is essential in a medium that requires reading for communication.
  • churchilligcchurchilligc Member Posts: 175 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFgR0m-9FmM

People have stated that the devs have left the decision to the community to decide what's right, if that holds true then there is nothing wrong in what I said.

There are people scamming in zone chat, there are people looking to get a better deal, there are people looking to trade (common, avoid wait time and AH fees), people looking to sell (avoid causing a market crash via undercutting). I don't have a problem with any of this.

People looking to form a group, no problem with that. I'd never use the dungeon finder, never. Not even if they fixed it. Why would I? I can tailor my group to a specific GS and composition for whatever dungeon I want to do and I can inspect everyone in the group prior to leaving if I want to.

People asking random questions, who cares? Answer their question, be a community. Or you know, chat ban everyone so you're playing single player and can be RP as **** lol.
  • rictrasrictras Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 239 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Have you looked at my screenshots? I posted more of the chat log for you.

Which was only a small part of the chat. Of course you aren't going to show us any section that may show you spamming.
    The meaning of life, is to give life meaning.
    edited May 2013
    Which was only a small part of the chat. Of course you aren't going to show us any section that may show you spamming.

Ok you win. I was spamming the **** out of zone (I wasn't)

Why does this justify a ban from all chat in game?
    edited May 2013
    For all the people in guilds, or that have friends that they can't talk to during their mute, might I suggest one of two widely used chat programs: Vent, or Team Speak. Check it out, it doesn't matter if you can't type into chat, you can either have it voice activated, or Push to Talk. Now, if you get banned from that, we'll have to start suspecting you're having more problems than just posting once to sell something...

And what do you suggest the people without guilds do? Or people that are in guilds that don't use voice chat?

Your solutions are not solutions, and you are avoiding the issue.
  • c0mixfanc0mixfan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 92
    edited May 2013
    Ok you win. I was spamming the **** out of zone (I wasn't)

Why does this justify a ban from all chat in game?

To teach you a lesson so that you don't do it again.

If the punishment was only to ban you from zone chat for 24 hours, you'd likely wouldn't learn from that as much as banning you from all chats for 24 hours would.

If you still don't learn from that, well then there's just no educating some people.
    Please play, rate, & review my very first Foundry Quest!

The X Factor Campaign NWS-DCO7OKB6F

Quest #1: The Morning After NW-D13LX4M93

Quest #2 Coming Soon!

Just for fun - Night of the Werebeast! NW-DT5EIZKZZ
This discussion has been closed.