test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

AH auction expire? kidding me?

Comments

• swamprobswamprob Member Posts: 107 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    grzmot33k wrote: »
    I put item on AH for LOOOOONG 5 DAYS, i got a LOT of time to take it back if bid isn't what i wanted.

IMO, the way it should work is that if anyone makes a bid on your item, you should not be able to cancel the auction.

I agree that the AH shouldn't have screwed you over, but you get no sympathy from me for placing a starting bid you couldn't live with.
  • pzzdachupzzdachu Member Posts: 398 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jdnyc wrote: »
    Love how you consider casuals not people. Lol
    I'm a Casual here... I know what he meant, and am not offended.
    Allow me to introduce myself, I am P'zzd Achu.
  • horrifyingclownhorrifyingclown Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If you don't want someone to buy your auction for low amounts of money, increase the minimum bid.
  • calaminthacalamintha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kilo418 wrote: »
    How did he get screwed? He told the AH he was ok with getting anything over 1 AD. I don't see the problem.

Really? You don't see the problem when auctions keep ticking while no one can make new bids?
  • deacon777deacon777 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    swamprob wrote: »
    IMO, the way it should work is that if anyone makes a bid on your item, you should not be able to cancel the auction.

That IS the way it works.
  • jdnycjdnyc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 334 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    mmogfails wrote: »
    Simple people don't get to realize that if you place a product worth of $1000 with $1 starting bid and have it run for 10 minutes, it's not the same as auctioning the same product with $1 starting bid and have it run for 10 days.

They get it. They just don't care. Many see the guy as being a cheapskate circumventing the system to save AD. The system bit back. Only outrage you're going to see is likewise exploiters. Everyone else will probably range from glee to indifference. If you haven't guessed, I'm on the indifference side. I care more about losing the celestial coins. /shrug
  • kyxoankyxoan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 31
    edited May 2013
    grzmot33k wrote: »
    I put item on AH for LOOOOONG 5 DAYS, i got a LOT of time to take it back if bid isn't what i wanted. And i always do it like this

- Min bid - 1AD, why more? i dont want waste cash for it.

The point is, When AH was turned off my items could be bidded for 1 more day, and i thought it would be still 1 day after they open AH again. But nope, It seems like AH was closed, but auctions were going on as if AH was working

Why more? So an item doesnt sell for 1 ad. But you dont want to waste cash making a real starting bid. Basically you are happy to use the system to your advantage, low starting bid = low fee but when it does not yield high profit you cry?
  • mmogfailsmmogfails Member Posts: 92
    edited May 2013
    calamintha wrote: »
    Really? You don't see the problem when auctions keep ticking while no one can make new bids?

He's clearly trolling.
    edited May 2013
    kyxoan wrote: »
    Why more? So an item doesnt sell for 1 ad. But you dont want to waste cash making a real starting bid. Basically you are happy to use the system to your advantage, low starting bid = low fee but when it does not yield high profit you cry?

The auction didn't run for the intended duration, that is 5 days. Is that information too much for your intellect to process?
    edited May 2013
    calamintha wrote: »
    No I don't its Open Beta. Things will go wrong. AND If he had set a min bid of his liking, it would not even be a post.
  • marvellus002marvellus002 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well thenks to that "mistake" I've bought a lot of rare/very rare crafting assets for dirt cheap prices and just sold them for tons of ad.
    Feels like a cheat, but I won't complain :D
  • negnarlodennegnarloden Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So let me put it this way... You go to a car auction and you have an increeeeeedible car, a ferrari lets say, historical, only one produced, the first ever by ferrari, estimated value 5mil, desired by all the guys that are into those types of cars with big cash... In such auction you don not put the bid extremely high couse it will get high anyways... All the ppl come to the auction, it starts at half a milion. You agreed that the auction has to go at least for 5min after the last bid. The first bid goes away, 0.5m $$. The auction owner just than says: sry guys... we have technical problems, we will try to resolve it. 6mins passes. The auction owner comes back and says... uhm well the auction has been won by person with the 0.5mil bid couse we had technical difficulties for 6min... How would you feel? In normal world you would sue the car auction, and/or wouldn't pass the keys.

And coming to the AH ingame... so... if you posted an item just 20sec b4 downtime with minimum bid of 3mil for 3 days. And bcouse the downtime noone was rly able to see the item posted (couse of the downtime), you got cut 100k Ad? (i dont know the initial % cut for posting), and the item was there for only 20 sec, would you still say thats totally ok?
    edited May 2013
    pzzdachu wrote: »
    No I don't its Open Beta. Things will go wrong. AND If he had set a min bid of his liking, it would not even be a post.

It's an open beta, reverse the transaction. What's wrong with that?
  • jdnycjdnyc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 334 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Well thenks to that "mistake" I've bought a lot of rare/very rare crafting assets for dirt cheap prices and just sold them for tons of ad.
    Feels like a cheat, but I won't complain :D

Did you set the minimum bid for 1AD?
    edited May 2013
    jdnyc wrote: »
    Did you set the minimum bid for 1AD?

He also set the duration to 5 days... Don't you see anything wrong with that?
  • deurkier1deurkier1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 70
    edited May 2013
    i lost like 500k ad because of this -_______-
  • snugglemancersnugglemancer Member Posts: 105 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    He also set the duration to 5 days... Don't you see anything wrong with that?
    Not really, he got more than the minimum he was willing to accept. Sounds like a fair deal.
    edited May 2013
    Not really, he got more than the minimum he was willing to accept. Sounds like a fair deal.

You are wrong, the rules were broken the moment the AH went down and the auction time kept running.
    You are wrong. The transaction must be reversed.
  • vorticanvortican Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 367 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The auction didn't run for the intended duration, that is 5 days. Is that information too much for your intellect to process?

The sense of entitlement in the argument is unbelievable. Furthermore, the argument fails for more than one reason. The poster clearly didn't count on anyone bidding so early in the auction process and that is his strategy: assuming that a low price will keep bids away until the frenzied bidding at the end drives the price up. The poster was counting on the auction lasting a long time in order to maximize his profit, hence his long auction time. Thus, he takes a gamble, pays less initially, and gets a higher profit. The alternative is that he sets his minimum bid higher, pays more in fees, but if someone bites, he gets a guaranteed profit at a certain level. More safety for more cost. Clearly, the poster took the riskier route and now complains that his non-guaranteed profit isn't as high as he'd like. Is anyone using the auction house guaranteed a certain level of profit, or even a sale? No. It is always a trade-off between selling an item quickly and potentially for less compared to playing a waiting game and hopefully selling the item for more. It was his strategy, his choice, and his loss. That's how economies work. Sometimes you take a risk and it pays off and others, it does not. In this case, the complainer lost through a choice he made.

Granted, Cryptic could have frozen the auction house, which may have been a smarter decision to avoid this issue, but there was never a guarantee that his item would have sold for more, thus he's lost nothing to which he was entitled.
  • azuregateazuregate Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Simple people don't get to realize that if you place a product worth of $1000 with $1 starting bid and have it run for 10 minutes, it's not the same as auctioning the same product with $1 starting bid and have it run for 10 days.

This is truth. There are a lot of simple people in this thread though, apparently.
  • kilo418kilo418 Member Posts: 823 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You are wrong, the rules were broken the moment the AH went down and the auction time kept running.

If you tell the system your minimum bid is 1 AD, and you get 1 AD or more, it is working as intended. Stop exploiting the system or accept what it comes with. The AH going down would have been a non-issue if his minimum amount was at what he considered to be acceptable.
  • labbblabbb Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013

No , all the transactions where minimum wasn't met were returned to their posters. His min was met . Would it be fair to the bidder ? Either way someone was going to be upset . Once the min was made , he lost control of his item . Would he of got more if the auction continues ? Maybe we don't know . The auction house only shows 400 items , so unless someone knows how to search and the IF less then 400 of his item was on the block , he might of got a bid . Once he set the min for 1 AD , he stood a chance of only getting 1 AD .
  • quietqquietq Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If this was a game you had to subscribe to (paying a monthly fee) and pay for for the initial game from a store or digital down load (on average 49 to 59 US Dollars), I might have the smallest amount of sympathy for you cry babies. IT IS SIMPLE !!!! IF ANY PART OF THIS GAME OFFENDS YOU AND CAN NOT LIVE UP TO YOUR HIGH EXPECTATIONS......UNINSTALL. Then go and create the game you so desperately want to play. But be warned it had better be perfect or you might be called an awesome company. Good luck in your endeavors.
  • fhurion1fhurion1 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    By setting minimum at 1AD, you are saying you will accept ANYTHING over that as a winning bid... period. The Complaint is the amount the auction sold for, which was set by the player. If you per son bid 2 AD on it and noone else bid, that's what it sells for. You can't say he lost out on a higher price due to lost time as you have absolutely no way to prove that. the sole fast is, he was cheated by a price that that he set.
  • snugglemancersnugglemancer Member Posts: 105 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I'm not going to have sympathy for anyone who literally gets what they ask for. I have a lot more sympathy for people who had to pay the posting fees and not be able to sell their items because the AH went down.
    edited May 2013
    It's an open beta, reverse the transaction. What's wrong with that?
    There are no wipes.
  • azuregateazuregate Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    labbb wrote: »
    No , all the transactions where minimum wasn't met were returned to their posters. His min was met . Would it be fair to the bidder ? Either way someone was going to be upset . Once the min was made , he lost control of his item . Would he of got more if the auction continues ? Maybe we don't know . The auction house only shows 400 items , so unless someone knows how to search and the IF less then 400 of his item was on the block , he might of got a bid . Once he set the min for 1 AD , he stood a chance of only getting 1 AD .

Actually, a simple way where no one would have been upset is if the AH were simply stopped when it wasn't functioning.
  • sinfulswesinfulswe Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Mouthbreathers having trouble understanding the problem with low starting bid auctions expiring? It's really ****ing simple.

The risk i AM willing to take is that no one bids on my item and someone gets it for 1 AD.
    The risk i am NOT willing to take is that no one CAN bid on my item and someone gets it for 1 AD.

If you don't grasp the ENORMOUS difference, please go back to pre-school, cause you got issues.
  • vorticanvortican Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 367 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Clearly, the poster knows that. That's why he set his auction to 5 days instead of 1. He understood that a shorter auction time potentially limited the profit he could achieve. He also understood that a lower minimum bid also potentially limited the profit he could achieve. Even if this hypothetical auction had proceeded the entire 10 days as opposed to 10 minutes, there's no guarantee that the item would have sold for a price that he found acceptable. That is why there is a minimum bid and a buyout option. The poster was given all the tools to setup a transaction he felt would be acceptable. He chose to play a game with his auction instead of guaranteeing himself either an acceptable profit or the return of his item. He gambled and he lost.
  • phoenixrte69phoenixrte69 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It should not be possible to cancel an auction once someone made a bid.

You my friend are exploiting a broken game mechanic in order to save AD for posting Auctions, thus you got what you deserved.

Keep on exploiting this game, PWE likes it that way o.O