test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

If you roll need on an item...

iamdoctordeathiamdoctordeath Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
It binds on pick up. Because if you need it, you'll be using it. If you're going to sell it- that's called greed.

You could also of course black out the 'need' option for classes that can't even use the item, but that would make too much sense.

Simple solution to one of the key problems that has ruined the economy, and makes everyone hate grouping. (except ninjas, exploiters and gold farmers, who love it)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by iamdoctordeath on

Comments

• agent2090agent2090 Member Posts: 40
    edited May 2013
    It binds on pick up. Because if you need it, you'll be using it.

I would actually love it if that happened. Too many times have I seen good DC gear from dungeon runs go to someone that isn't a DC.
  • oraymoraym Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Also, disable needing for an item your class can't use.

That only leaves room for people that rolls for an item, binding or not, so that nobody else will have it (yep, there's such kinds of people around).
  • allaerraallaerra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 838 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Just disable need. You should be able to farm items that are not your class if there are none of that class in the party. Need should be disabled if it is not your class.

Just having etiquette would be good too, but obviously that is never going to happen.

Oh and to that guy who was rolling need last night in every skirmish, that's a DB move and next time you are in with me and I am team leader, you are getting kicked:mad:.
  • pzzdachupzzdachu Member Posts: 398 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It binds on pick up. Because if you need it, you'll be using it. If you're going to sell it- that's called greed.

You could also of course black out the 'need' option for classes that can't even use the item, but that would make too much sense.

Simple solution to one of the key problems that has ruined the economy, and makes everyone hate grouping. (except ninjas, exploiters and gold farmers, who love it)
    A totally good suggestion. If I cannot use an item I pass.
    Allow me to introduce myself, I am P'zzd Achu.
  • kevinf08kevinf08 Member Posts: 432 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Ah this thread again.

We all need AD, so we should all need on everything, quite simple.

There's other reasons why everyone should need on everything which I won't go into. Your in the wrong in expecting other players to roll greed on BoE items and are also showing a strong sense of self-entitlement.
  • enderlin50enderlin50 Member Posts: 993 Arc User
    edited May 2013

I like this idea coupled with someone else's idea of paying ZEN to unbind.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • pinkfontpinkfont Member Posts: 563 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    The prices for items in this game encourages people to be greedy. So even if this is implemented people will still need the item just to sell for gold.

Maybe if the Zen/AD ratio was more reasonable people wouldn't feel the need to be jerks, but as it stands, nothing will change that.
    A rich rogue nowadays is fit company for any gentleman; and the world, my dear, hath not such a contempt for roguery as you imagine. - John HAMSTER
  • muzrub333muzrub333 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

This horse has been beaten to a pulp, but to make it simple for you; if an item requires you to use an ID scroll on it, not you, nor anyone else knows if they "need" it. You don't deserve an item just because you might be able to use it, because if you can't use it, you will just sell it, thereby scamming others out of potential profit as well, (and they're the greedy ones, uhuh). Are you such a noble person that you will ID the items, and if you can't equip them, allow everyone to random /100 for them after you've looted them?
    Making things Bind on loot doesn't help anything either if you don't know that you actually need the item. Will you be happy when 90% of the things you thought you needed, that are now bound to you, turn out to be useless, and can no longer be put on the AH, but only sold for a few silver to a vendor.

The loot system is BROKEN due to the need to ID items, and the only way to be 100% truly fair and equitable, is for everyone to choose need.
  • caydyncaydyn Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You can tell if your class can use an item or not even if it is unidentified.
    Running in guild groups or setting up your own team is pretty much the only way to combat this, if the ninja is beaing a real pain then I will talk to the party leader to see if they will boot. If it gets real bad and Im not in the mood then I just let the group know that I am going to stop healing until the ninja is booted.
  • nunavailablenunavailable Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    muzrub333 wrote: »
    This horse has been beaten to a pulp, but to make it simple for you; if an item requires you to use an ID scroll on it, not you, nor anyone else knows if they "need" it...

The loot system is BROKEN due to the need to ID items, and the only way to be 100% truly fair and equitable, is for everyone to choose need.

You're obviously missing the point here. It doesn't matter if you have to identify a piece of armour that has a class requirement (which all except a few slots do), or a weapon, which btw also has a class requirement, you know right away whether you can possibly use the item, or not. The other item slots, like waist, neck, and rings, are open season, no problem there.
  • daegrosdaegros Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ...You don't deserve an item just because you might be able to use it, because if you can't use it, you will just sell it, thereby scamming others out of potential profit as well, (and they're the greedy ones, uhuh). Are you such a noble person that you will ID the items, and if you can't equip them, allow everyone to random /100 for them after you've looted them? ...

What the hell are you talking about? If I, as a DC, roll need on a TR dagger, that is far different than rolling need on a DC symbol. I literally have 0 chance of using a TR dagger. None, zip, zero.

TR item drops, all TR (imo) can roll need. I don't care if it is blue, green, or whatever color it is. It's a rogue item, rogues can roll. I'll still greed it as a BoE, because I'm a greedy AH dweller. But I'll never roll NEED on another class specific item. That is just logic.

Your logic fails hard, imo.
  • jaelithejaelithe Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 99
    edited May 2013
    ID has nothing to do with allowing someone to roll need on an item their class can't even use. Disabling that is the fix.
  • lltsnwnlltsnwn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 787 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

It would help if they at the very least changed the "need" loot roll only for characters that can USE the item else "greed" or "pass".
    12.jpgRanger.jpg
  • iamdoctordeathiamdoctordeath Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This horse has been beaten to a pulp, but to make it simple for you; if an item requires you to use an ID scroll on it, not you, nor anyone else knows if they "need" it. You don't deserve an item just because you might be able to use it, because if you can't use it, you will just sell it, thereby scamming others out of potential profit as well, (and they're the greedy ones, uhuh). Are you such a noble person that you will ID the items, and if you can't equip them, allow everyone to random /100 for them after you've looted them?
    Making things Bind on loot doesn't help anything either if you don't know that you actually need the item. Will you be happy when 90% of the things you thought you needed, that are now bound to you, turn out to be useless, and can no longer be put on the AH, but only sold for a few silver to a vendor.

Did you miss the part where I said- if you roll need, it binds on pick up? Y'know, the entire point of the thread? So the person rolling need won't be able to sell it.

Honestly, you utterly ignored what I said and went off on a rant that even then doesn't make sense- yes, I need to ID all those epic endgame boss loots, which are 99% of what people are ninjaing right now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • notsosweetnessnotsosweetness Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Interesting topic. I came to forum to pretty much ask what is proper etiquette.

Last night I did my first group dungeon run. Having ran the last 36 levels with only my static partner I didn’t pick up anything and just watched to see what the rest of group did. I soon saw that when loot outside of money is picked up a window pops up with the three options of Need, Greed and Pass.

When we had finished the dungeon run (a success btw although man…did we go thru the pots) my static partner and I discussed the roll method and we had different opinions when one needs to do ‘need’ vs. ‘greed’.

What I did was:
    Class specific
    Need - I interrupted this as something that was your class. I have no issue with pass on items within my class if I ‘know’ I don’t need it. But gear that pops up in the middle of fights I don’t stop and examine it outside of passing if not my class. Most of them were unidentified which kinda limits you calling a pass.

Greed - Greed I interrupted as something not your class but wanted it, for whatever reason.

Pass - Pass was obvious.

NON-CLASS SPECIFIC
    My static partner told me I should pick ‘greed’ on non-class items. I had picked ‘need’ on enchantment runes because I do need them to build them for that ‘someday awesome gear’ and asked why everyone/anyone would not pick ‘need’ as well if they are building. I apologize to my group mates last night if I did wrong here. I seriously thought with runes not being a rare item they were not that big a deal. That goes for any non class gear that I can't see well enought to know if I need or not.

I’m pretty new to MMORPs with only 2.5yrs in DDO, even there I only did a few group runs outside my guild. But I learned there are etiquette rules around loot in groups. I don’t want to inadvertently <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> someone off so I am curious what the ‘general’ acceptable trend for when to roll what on:

Need vs. Greed on class specific gear?
    Need vs. Greed on non-class loot?
    edited May 2013
    You're obviously missing the point here. It doesn't matter if you have to identify a piece of armour that has a class requirement (which all except a few slots do), or a weapon, which btw also has a class requirement, you know right away whether you can possibly use the item, or not. The other item slots, like waist, neck, and rings, are open season, no problem there.

No you've missed the point actually. It's not about if your class can equip an item, that as you said is obvious, it is about "needing" the item for an upgrade. Example: I have 15 unidentified green neck items in my bag, tell me which one is an upgrade. Which one do I need as an upgrade, not which one's my class can equip. You can't until you ID them. Chances are that once I ID them, none will be an actual upgrade, so I don't actually end up "needing" any of them, I just used the fact that I can equip them as a way to scam my fellow group mates. So people who come here, claiming others are bad for choosing need for items they can't use, are in fact saying that they feel entitled to equipment, even if it isn't an upgrade, simply because it is usable by their class. In other words, they are not concerned with what is actually fair, they just want guaranteed loot. In other words they are the greedy ones. They just put on the mantle of a victim in order to guilt trip everyone else.
  • spyke2009spyke2009 Member Posts: 674 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    kevinf08 wrote: »
    Ah this thread again.

There's other reasons why everyone should need on everything which I won't go into. Your in the wrong in expecting other players to roll greed on BoE items and are also showing a strong sense of self-entitlement.

Ironically, despite your claims, most modern MMORPG's have self instanced loot drops, and/or systems in place to stop this, are you implying that for no obviously good reason, their ongoing development has somehow begun to go in reverse?

Your claims of self entitlement seem to be simple parroting of the common flawed arguments made by greedy players who enjoy the drama and griefing they cause.
  • banecrushrbanecrushr Member Posts: 129 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I say MAKE all dungeon drops BOP! No more <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> those of us who actually need the stinking item. Problem solved. Let em sell all that greeie weeine <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> instead.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Sir, were now surrounded"!
    Thats great news son, now we can attack from ALL sides"!
  • nunavailablenunavailable Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    No you've missed the point actually. It's not about if your class can equip an item, that as you said is obvious, it is about "needing" the item for an upgrade. Example: I have 15 unidentified green neck items in my bag, tell me which one is an upgrade. Which one do I need as an upgrade, not which one's my class can equip. You can't until you ID them. Chances are that once I ID them, none will be an actual upgrade, so I don't actually end up "needing" any of them, I just used the fact that I can equip them as a way to scam my fellow group mates. So people who come here, claiming others are bad for choosing need for items they can't use, are in fact saying that they feel entitled to equipment, even if it isn't an upgrade, simply because it is usable by their class. In other words, they are not concerned with what is actually fair, they just want guaranteed loot. In other words they are the greedy ones. They just put on the mantle of a victim in order to guilt trip everyone else.

You didn't actually read my post did you? For example where I said in the very last line "The other item slots, like waist, neck, and rings, are open season, no problem there." I'll type this really slowly so you can keep up...

T h e O P w a s t a l k i n g a b o u t c l a s s - s p e c i f i c i t e m s .

It's really pretty obvious from his post, and mine as well, assuming you actually read further than the first half sentence before getting butt-hurt.
  • allaerraallaerra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 838 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Did you miss the part where I said- if you roll need, it binds on pick up? Y'know, the entire point of the thread? So the person rolling need won't be able to sell it.

Honestly, you utterly ignored what I said and went off on a rant that even then doesn't make sense- yes, I need to ID all those epic endgame boss loots, which are 99% of what people are ninjaing right now.

It shouldn't be bind on pickup because, what if I get two sets of boots in one dungeon and want to sell one? The SOLUTION is to make it so you can only roll need on your class items or accessories that multiple classes can use. Logic.
  • naztrollnaztroll Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 59
    edited May 2013
    There will always be those people who Need on everything, don't waste your time posting on forums, it will do nothing to help.
    18.jpg
  • zzzzzdankzzzzzdank Member Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    How bout we make it the norm to set to Round Robin with threshold blue or above green should be FFA. Old school, and still the fairest loot method around.
  • zzzzzdankzzzzzdank Member Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    allaerra wrote: »
    It shouldn't be bind on pickup because, what if I get two sets of boots in one dungeon and want to sell one? The SOLUTION is to make it so you can only roll need on your class items or accessories that multiple classes can use. Logic.

That's called greed, you shouldn't be needing on the second set. You don't need it, you already HAVE it. Just because it's your class item doesn't mean you "need" it, if it's not an upgrade or you already have it then you don't NEED it. Logic.
  • syberghostsyberghost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,474
    edited May 2013
    I like this idea, but it would only work with Bind on Equip items with their engine, unless you introduced code complexities that would invite bugs. But for BoE items, it should be totally doable, and I'd love to see it.

Especially after they add the hinted feature to let you pay AD to unbind an item. This would be a huge moneymaker for them then.
    edited May 2013

Sorry I was using you in the general, and not specific form...yeah that was a bit of a rant. LOL

I did comment on your idea, and believe me this has been hashed out in dozens of threads, if you take all loot types, not just Purples into account Bind on Pick up won't work. I think for Purples there needs to be a totally different system entirely, where everyone just automatically gets one item they need. Purples are their own strange animal, and normal rules shouldn't apply.

My main rant/point is in regards to normal PUG looting of greens/blues/runes...only truly fair practice, with no favoritism, or entitlement is 100% all roll need. Some will say all should roll greed, but we're humans, and one person will always roll need to screw over the rest. If 100 items drop in a dungeon, everyone should have an equal chance at each of those items for the looting to be truly fair; we all deserve an equal share of loot. Would it be fair if out of those 100 items 50 were for a CW, and the CW was the only one allowed to roll need? What if nothing for your class dropped, yet you worked hard with the group to succeed?

I guess to some people fair means having an equal chance, and to others fair is what ever benefits them the most (not directed at you).
  • sasukepetesasukepete Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Okay, fine, there will be people who will always roll need, but at least put a limitation on class specific items. If there is a trickster rogue and a dagger drops, do not let a gwf need on it. This would be a good starting point..
  • erenarerenar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ok, to those who say need on everything... you obviously have no clue about mmo etiquette and protocol.

Need=you need it because you are going to use it
    Greed=you want it to sell or for an alt
    Pass=you've got no space or cba

It is the universal mmo rule, don't try and think you can put your dirty disgusting ninja tricks into this game :P

As one guy said, we should all need on everything because everyone needs AD... read the ruleset. Greed means what it means... i want it but i ain't gonna use it.

But going back to the OP's point, BoP for need is not a bad plan as it means a cleric can't need and sell an item he already has, encouraging him to greed like the rest of the group for sales purposes (putting all on an equal footing). (Just using cleric as an example :) )
  • torskaldrtorskaldr Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Sorry I was using you in the general, and not specific form...yeah that was a bit of a rant. LOL

I did comment on your idea, and believe me this has been hashed out in dozens of threads, if you take all loot types, not just Purples into account Bind on Pick up won't work. I think for Purples there needs to be a totally different system entirely, where everyone just automatically gets one item they need. Purples are their own strange animal, and normal rules shouldn't apply.

My main rant/point is in regards to normal PUG looting of greens/blues/runes...only truly fair practice, with no favoritism, or entitlement is 100% all roll need. Some will say all should roll greed, but we're humans, and one person will always roll need to screw over the rest. If 100 items drop in a dungeon, everyone should have an equal chance at each of those items for the looting to be truly fair; we all deserve an equal share of loot. Would it be fair if out of those 100 items 50 were for a CW, and the CW was the only one allowed to roll need? What if nothing for your class dropped, yet you worked hard with the group to succeed?

I guess to some people fair means having an equal chance, and to others fair is what ever benefits them the most (not directed at you).
    I pretty much agree with your point. The current system would work okay if the option was roll/pass or an automatic roll and the item(s) automatically distributed.
    edited May 2013
    You didn't actually read my post did you? For example where I said in the very last line "The other item slots, like waist, neck, and rings, are open season, no problem there." I'll type this really slowly so you can keep up...

T h e O P w a s t a l k i n g a b o u t c l a s s - s p e c i f i c i t e m s .

It's really pretty obvious from his post, and mine as well, assuming you actually read further than the first half sentence before getting butt-hurt.

I read your post, and sorry I used neck (a class specific item) as an example...feel free to use BP instead. Point remains the same. Tell me which of the 15 unknown items you can equip as an upgrade before ID'ing them. You can't name one, therefore you don't actually know that you "need" it. You just hope you can use it, which is fine, but not really the same as needing it.

Not butt hurt actually, even after you debased yourself with your childish insults. I am actually quite entertained by it all.
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The whole "if you roll Need, it binds" concept won't really help, because....
    kevinf08 wrote: »

...pondscum like this will just Need on it anyway, because they can sell it for some gold.

The correct solution is to not allow people to Need on items that are locked to other classes.