test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

TESO vs. Neverwinter

1235»

Comments

• Options
    ithanelithanel Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    uniquevil wrote: »
    hands on NWO was disappointed due to high expectation
    no customization for character wat was thrown to us is a huge disappointment
    foundry is its only savior i guess and lets see wat rpers can come up with ingame
    only thing that kept me in this game is the FR settings
    ESO total customization like skyrim
    open world exploraton
    for me ESO is still keeping my hopes up while NWO has dashed all my interest
    i still play it upon releases just to see wat the community can come up with
    seems like PW is not listening to us and they have set on the wrong foot creating the game and its too late to change till the next major patch if they plan to keep this game alive for long

I really should stop reading threads like these. There always will be people in need of defending one side, even though we can't say anything about the game, how it's gonna be on release.
    Just take the example of NWO customization, that uniquevil is trying to use as argument against NWO. It's a closed beta, and if that wasn't enough reason for why there is so low "customization" (where you seem to forget the choosable background or the story you can type in for your character, which is pretty awesome if you get that NWO is a RPG), the devs even asked what has to be added customizationwise. The devs ask for things that need to be implemented... never seen this in a huge franchise game (for good reason, they already have a name, they can't show people that they would appreciate "help" in designing a game, because needing "help" is a flaw in our civilization).

The other point i saw in this thread was something like "ESO 950000 facebook likes, NWO 35000, ESO is better". Well, yeah, big franchise games seem to have more money to start a game like this, but that's it. How many games just flopped as they released the sequel of it? Or just think about that there might be a difference between quality and quantity.

and to the last sentence uniquevil wrote: Where do you get your information from? I'm just really curious, because everything I heard about NWO is that it's not out yet, maybe even that it's in closed beta, and that "major patch" might be possible even until the release of the game... I even read in the forums/dev tracker that they are able to read the things we write here, and that they even listen(ed) to it... for example walking animations, customization possibilitys (as mentioned above), and other stuff i didn't read because I'm not that active on forums normally.

Edit: I am really looking forward to ESO, too, but i can't write a thing about it, because i didn't inform myself :)
  • Options
    xanos900xanos900 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 116 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    teso looks like a freaking GW2 ripoff. i predict it'll fail like almost any mmo this days
  • Options
    herakleiaherakleia Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 95
    edited May 2013
    maddmister wrote: »
    OK so what do you all think, TESO or Neverwinter? 995k likes/followers on facebook for TESO vs 35k for Neverwinter, hmm. I dont know but pay to win (neverwinter) definitely puts a huge red mark on this game for me and will shy the majority of folks away. Dont make a game F2P and then make them have to buy items in shop to "win". I would rather purchase the game for $60 outright than do that. So which will be the hero and who the goat? just my 2cents

I liked all the Elder Scrolls games I've played, and I've played them all since Daggerfall. Finishing them is something else; the only one I've finished is Morrowind, and that only once. Am close to finishing Skyrim, but there's always something else to find there.

What I am enjoying most about Neverwinter is the gameplay. So far (GWF is level 37) I'm enjoying the relatively fast paced combat here, and especially the lack of choreography in the team combat I've run. It reminds me more than anything else I've played of City of Heroes, which is a very good thing IMO. I am not interested in encounters that require careful coordination, that send people to live voice chat, or has them researching videos of the encounters. I want the whole team to just charge in and curbstomp stuff. That's relaxing fun, and no game did it better than City of Heroes. If this game remains as much fun in terms of playstyle even into the "endgame" I may stick around for a while.

I'm not sure whether the lure of the Elder Scrolls will translate into an MMO well. Elder Scrolls games are explorer games. I like them because I like exploring. I set myself odd challenges like circumnavigating the game world on foot. You discover all sorts of things there, ruins and shrines and odd sights. The combat is not deep, but you didn't come for the combat. You came for the world.

Level gated zones and regions of instant death to lowbies will not work in an Elder Scrolls game, or at least I don't think they're consistent with the reasons why I play them. I am interested in TESO because I like the franchise. But I am curious to see how it will work.
  • Options
    demiurgerealmdemiurgerealm Member Posts: 109 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    maddmister wrote: »
    OK so what do you all think, TESO or Neverwinter? 995k likes/followers on facebook for TESO vs 35k for Neverwinter, hmm. I dont know but pay to win (neverwinter) definitely puts a huge red mark on this game for me and will shy the majority of folks away. Dont make a game F2P and then make them have to buy items in shop to "win". I would rather purchase the game for $60 outright than do that. So which will be the hero and who the goat? just my 2cents

Is it time for the stupid kids to start throwing poo at each other over which MMO they play?
    -Agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

Realm of the Demiurge Foundry Works

Neverwinter isn't D&D, it is a MMO based on a game that uses D&D terms but isn't really D&D either. NW is fun (for that matter so is 4E), but it isn't D&D, and once you wrap your expectations around that you will be able to enjoy the game for what it offers and not worry about what it does not.
  • Options
    noshiznoshiz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 49
    edited May 2013
    Is it time for the stupid kids to start throwing poo at each other over which MMO they play?

Yep, i believe it is.
    fs_49316d8a5de21281b0f4fc8f0089006b.png
  • Options
    taemekegtaemekeg Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 298 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Well its pretty simple:

Teso = 1.2 million likes even before its out and thats just on facebook likes
    NW = 115k likes on facebook and is currently live

I guess Teso wins.
  • Options
    nevarineswagyolonevarineswagyolo Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I saw some of the comments and TESO will not be WoW style combat, and come on this is not even a good comparison ( TESO wins ofc ), you can not compare serious company like ZeniMax and Cryptic which makes like 100 games just so they hit one right, well they did make a good game out of this NW but idk how long will it last.

but still if we compare any other online game ( at least those I have played besides WoW ) NW is far better.

Still, Neverwinter being D&D has some historical value to it.
    Neravarine
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    undeadcrabbundeadcrabb Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    TESO is a p2p game, not to mention it costs around 60$ to purchase it. Basically, if I want to play the game it have to open my wallet, but I have played Neverwinter since closed beta and still didn't need to pay a dime. Also TESO has more likes, because there are more TES fans, than D&D fans. D&D is mostly popular in USA, whereas TES is known and loved pretty much all across the globe. Also cryptic is not that popular as a company, Zenimax on the other hand is, probably due to many successful game titles bethesda has released. Many good games are underrated because they were developed by lesser known companies, it is not the fan base, that defines the quality of game.

TESO is not yet released, so you don't know how it really is going to be. You can't do your victory dance, before finishing the race.
    Folow me on Deviant art! ;)
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Member Posts: 5,727 Arc User
    edited September 2013

TESO is not yet released, so you don't know how it really is going to be. You can't do your victory dance, before starting the race.

There fixed that for you
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    5e4fd3cb-b728-4870-849c-b007bccaf5e9_zpsqomajucn.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    ceryndrionceryndrion Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Please do not necro threads that have been left to rot.
    I reject your reality and I substitute my own!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My opinions are my own, and do not represent those of Perfect World Entertainment, or Cryptic Studios
    [ Rules of Conduct - Terms - FAQ - Support Centre - Important Stuff ]
This discussion has been closed.