test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

TESO vs. Neverwinter

maddmistermaddmister Member Posts: 16 Arc User
edited September 2013 in Off Topic
OK so what do you all think, TESO or Neverwinter? 995k likes/followers on facebook for TESO vs 35k for Neverwinter, hmm. I dont know but pay to win (neverwinter) definitely puts a huge red mark on this game for me and will shy the majority of folks away. Dont make a game F2P and then make them have to buy items in shop to "win". I would rather purchase the game for $60 outright than do that. So which will be the hero and who the goat? just my 2cents
Devs
Are My Masters!
Post edited by maddmister on

Comments

• quorforgedquorforged Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    TESO is boring old EQ/WoW style combat. Its strength will be the story and setting, which I don't care about. So Neverwinter is the obvious winner for me. Although Pay for Power is a big concern to me here. Too much of it (and it's obvious that there is some, in spite of what was said) and I'll lose interest. But I doubt I'll bother with TESO either way.
  • aesclealaescleal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Neverwinter wins! :) Hopeful thinking on my part I suppose.
    That said, can you please link a reference to Neverwinter being a play-to-win game? The Dev's have repeatedly explained that would not be the case; check out nearly any video where there is a Cryptic staff showing off the game. And on these forums, this has been discussed many times, always with a quote or comment from a Dev directly, stating that they plan to stay away from P2W.
    So if this has changed and you have some inside info, please share!
    Thanks!
  • ehsradehsrad Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Elder Scrolls hasnt even entered beta yet so at this point its impossible to tell, just from looking at the videos they dont even appear to be the same type of game, ES looks way more like Everquest/WOW than Neverwinter. I also dont get what you mean by pay to win, all of the packs are cosmetic additions since everything in there will be available in some form in game (ie Armored horse = regular horse, dire wolf = regular wolf). You could have a look at Star Trek Online made by the same people, a game that allows you to buy ships but the ones you get in game are just as good if not better in some cases.
    What do you mean I'm not kind? Just not your kind!
  • joseph7777joseph7777 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    maddmister wrote: »
    OK so what do you all think, TESO or Neverwinter? 995k likes/followers on facebook for TESO vs 35k for Neverwinter, hmm. I dont know but pay to win (neverwinter) definitely puts a huge red mark on this game for me and will shy the majority of folks away. Dont make a game F2P and then make them have to buy items in shop to "win". I would rather purchase the game for $60 outright than do that. So which will be the hero and who the goat? just my 2cents

I was in the Beta..where did you get "pay to win" from? Or is it just what you tell yourself to skip this game straight to TESO?

Anyway, TESO have only tested _______________ (NDA) in closed beta so far so it is a game that won't see the light until at least the end of the year while Neverwinter might start as early as April.

One last note....are you seriously comparing TES popularity to Neverwinter?

Edit: People are saying TES = WoW or somthing like it...you guys have no idea....as in, one hell of surprise awaits you if you ever get in because it is something..FRESH.
  • maddmistermaddmister Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Hero of the North pack you get the drow with "farie fire" spell exclusive only to that drow. Also those specific pets to those who paid. So unless you paid $200 for the pack you dont get that specific drow nor do you get that spell nor the black panther companion who fights. pay to win?? and that is just the start of it. You will have to buy xp boosters just like in PW, pet specific items to tame/train them, so on and so forth. F2P but not F2W only P2W
    Devs
    Are My Masters!
  • zylaxxzylaxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 591 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    I'll be playing both as NWO will most likely release before June and ESO (it's Elder Scrolls Online, not The Elder Scrolls Online) won't release till November at the earliest.

I do like ESO's character creation alot better, but I love the fact that NWO is content heavy with the Foundry and I feel ESO will be great while playing or leveling up but their endgame will be all about PvP and Raiding and that leaves me to fall away from a game within months after reaching level cap. NWO on the otherhand has plenty of content to keep me busy as log as the DM's continue to churn out Foundry missions.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character is what a man is in the dark
  • joseph7777joseph7777 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Hero of the North pack you get the drow with "farie fire" spell exclusive only to that drow. So unless you paid $200 for the pack you dont get that specific drow nor do you get that spell. pay to win?? and that is just the start of it

Don't care really about the race or spell. It's a race after all it. I played the game and I can tell you Racial bounces are not game breaking or anything that would make you think "<font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> I should have picked that race instead of this"
  • silvergryphsilvergryph Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The Drow Renegade is not a race, its a background. What is a background? In game it is a paragraph of text. That's it. They may expand that, but probably not. As far as the Faerie Fire ability goes, 4E Drow have an ability called Darkfire. I expect that Faerie Fire is just a different skin to the same ability. Light and glowy instead of purple and glowy.
    edited February 2013
    aescleal wrote: »
    Neverwinter wins! :) Hopeful thinking on my part I suppose.
    That said, can you please link a reference to Neverwinter being a play-to-win game? The Dev's have repeatedly explained that would not be the case; check out nearly any video where there is a Cryptic staff showing off the game. And on these forums, this has been discussed many times, always with a quote or comment from a Dev directly, stating that they plan to stay away from P2W.
    So if this has changed and you have some inside info, please share!
    Thanks!

I find that "pay to win" is a tricky phrase. People take it mean a wide variety of things. To me, it's synonymous with "pay for power". I.e., any mechanical game advantage that can be purchased with real money is, to me, "pay to win", to at least some degree.

The founder's packs are blatantly pay for power. The astral diamonds alone qualify.

It's a question of degree of "pay for power", and thus "pay to win", there will be here. Not if.
    Hero of the North pack you get the drow with "farie fire" spell exclusive only to that drow. Also those specific pets to those who paid. So unless you paid $200 for the pack you dont get that specific drow nor do you get that spell nor the black panther companion who fights. pay to win?? and that is just the start of it. You will have to buy xp boosters just like in PW, pet specific items to tame/train them, so on and so forth. F2P but not F2W only P2W

Actually, as long as that alternative spell is balanced with the free Drow, and the companion is balanced with the free companions, I don't think it's pay to win. I don't have a problem with selling races and classes, as long as they aren't a boost in power compared to what's available by playing the game. Getting that right is tricky, of course, but at least possible

In contrast, "more astral diamonds" cannot possibly be balanced with "less astral diamonds", so selling astral diamonds for cash is clearly "pay for power".
  • shiaikashiaika Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Bethesda is making a MMO from his single player games so obviously, get advantage in followers in that silly Tomebook thing. They surely will make a consolized MMO, much like their single player games too.:p Not touching that game even with a 100 feet pole. Not even if it's totally free. Maybe if I'm paid and only depending of how much money.

When you end your quest of labeling this game as P2W just because you say so, tell me. Bcause I'm sure than more than a few will never play a cent and still reach max level and get top gear. Also, are not subcription games Pay to Win? Because if you don't pay the subscription, you cannot win!!! (neither log in!) And don't we pay for all the games? My electricity isn't free! Or my internet!!

First world problems...
  • ehsradehsrad Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I think a lot of people are over-reacting to the exclusive drow thing, its literally one additional skill and a background and since no one actually knows what the farie fire spell actually is yet its hard to label the whole game as pay to win. As others have stated, the mounts are likely just reskinned assets, id be willing to bet the Panther is a reskinned Tiger and the Armored horse is just a reskinned horse with no real advantage other than it looks different. Its no different than if they released a game disc and sold one as a regular edition and one as a collectors pack. You would still be paying extra for something that just says to other gamers "hey, i liked the game enough to buy a special skin for my mount/pet!".
  • dracotamerdracotamer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I believe the P2W people are referring to is all the increased damage buffs, no level requirement buffs/enchants you can buy off the cash shop.
  • kentheprogrammerkentheprogrammer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 37
    edited February 2013
    Founder's packs aren't pay to win unless the drow ability, mounts, companions, or other items turn out to be more powerful than what can be gained in-game without paying. In terms of the Astral Diamonds, that's a purchasable currency by default anyway, even if they're giving you a discount on the diamonds in the Founder's packs (you can actually earn the diamonds in game too without paying), unless the cash shop has more powerful stuff than what can be gained in game, it's not pay to win either. If someone gets a discount on diamonds and has 10 additional vanity pets, who cares? If they buy a Founder's pack and has a sword and set of armor that nobody else can get, that's a different story.

There is already a TON of misinformation out about the game. I don't understand why that is. Do people just want to try to drive folks away from the game? If NWO launches and releases content at a good rate (including classes and races) and doesn't make you pay, that may go a long way in getting some of these detractors back, but there can be a great deal of damage done just by people spreading this ridiculous misinformation.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    dracotamer wrote: »
    I believe the P2W people are referring to is all the increased damage buffs, no level requirement buffs/enchants you can buy off the cash shop.

Twinking has been available in a ton of games without a type of Cash Store and generally P2W matters only at endgame. If a person wants to make their leveling easier by paying $ for an item equivalent to a rare drop at their level, then they should be able to.
    edited February 2013
    Going by what Cryptic already do over on Star Trek Online they will likely have special events that allow you to gain a special weapon or mount for a very limited time and then push it onto the cash shop at some point for those who missed it. All of these items tend to be things that you can totally live without, do i want a sword that glows green or a wolf that has a different colour of fur? I dont mind paying to make something look a little more unique and i think most people will be the same, at this moment in time there is no evidence that points towards me paying cash and getting something way better than anyone else.
    edited February 2013
    In terms of the Astral Diamonds, that's a purchasable currency by default anyway

Indeed. It's "pay for power" that will be a part of the game when it's released, not just something happening with Founder's Packs. Thus, my concern.
    even if they're giving you a discount on the diamonds in the Founder's packs (you can actually earn the diamonds in game too without paying), unless the cash shop has more powerful stuff than what can be gained in game, it's not pay to win either. If someone gets a discount on diamonds and has 10 additional vanity pets, who cares? If they buy a Founder's pack and has a sword and set of armor that nobody else can get, that's a different story.

My understanding is that astral diamonds buy powerful items in-game:
    tornio wrote: »
    it’s the Astral Diamonds you’ll want later on to get the good stuff.

Therefore, selling astral diamonds for cash is blatantly "pay for power". Whether they can be gotten in-game or not is entirely tangential to whether or not it's "pay for power".

It's not a question of "if" there's "pay for power" in Neverwinter, only the degree of it.
    edited February 2013
    shiaika wrote: »

When you end your quest of labeling this game as P2W just because you say so, tell me. Bcause I'm sure than more than a few will never play a cent and still reach max level and get top gear. Also, are not subcription games Pay to Win? Because if you don't pay the subscription, you cannot win!!! (neither log in!) And don't we pay for all the games? My electricity isn't free! Or my internet!!

Agree. And even in the pen & paper game you buy the materials. You invest in the game. It's not necessary to play; sure you can play without the books, but it is sure hard to argue the rules with the DM or other players that way. And your friends will get pretty bothered if you are always bumming from them to use their dice (and books). In essence, you are "paying" to get the advantage, or even the upper hand. No? That's very much how I see it. If Cryptic wants to charge for some convenience items that I can still get for myself in game, then who and how is that hurting? Ok, so it'll be my own definition of hurting next. In the end it's a no win argument to have, but this is my view on it.

Still, to maddmister, I'm betting on NWO.
    :)
  • fruitvendor12fruitvendor12 Member Posts: 318 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Astral Diamonds are equivalent to Dilithium in Star Trek Online, a currency that can be farmed by players with more time than money and sold to players with more money than time. In STO it has been an excellent way to bridge the two kinds of players. Early in the game there was much of the same angst we're seeing in this thread - the controversy has died away to a constant low rumble.

Regardless, one does not have to have dilithium (and I assume Astral Diamonds) for PvE, and for end-game PvP it is useful but as usual not critical when one considers build skill is more important.

Dilithium is most important for non-combat things like housing. Get into a large enough guild and that won't matter as much.

Real point: Cryptic has been honing this approach for awhile now and most customers familiar with it like it.

Nothing anyone can say right now will mellow folks out, you'll just have to experience it like many already have before you can really decide.
  • keirkinkeirkin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    quorforged wrote: »
    I find that "pay to win" is a tricky phrase. People take it mean a wide variety of things. To me, it's synonymous with "pay for power". I.e., any mechanical game advantage that can be purchased with real money is, to me, "pay to win", to at least some degree.

The founder's packs are blatantly pay for power. The astral diamonds alone qualify.

It's a question of degree of "pay for power", and thus "pay to win", there will be here. Not if.

Actually, as long as that alternative spell is balanced with the free Drow, and the companion is balanced with the free companions, I don't think it's pay to win. I don't have a problem with selling races and classes, as long as they aren't a boost in power compared to what's available by playing the game. Getting that right is tricky, of course, but at least possible

In contrast, "more astral diamonds" cannot possibly be balanced with "less astral diamonds", so selling astral diamonds for cash is clearly "pay for power".

And if the only thing you can buy with Astral Diamonds is cosmetic items, convenience items and things like character slots, are the astral diamonds still "pay for power"?
    edited February 2013
    aescleal wrote: »
    Agree. And even in the pen & paper game you buy the materials. You invest in the game. It's not necessary to play; sure you can play without the books, but it is sure hard to argue the rules with the DM or other players that way. And your friends will get pretty bothered if you are always bumming from them to use their dice (and books). In essence, you are "paying" to get the advantage, or even the upper hand.

You're paying for the game, to be able to play the game. Not to gain advantage within it. There's nothing wrong with that.

The analog of "pay for power" or "pay to win" in PnP would be bribing your DM for more XP, treasure, or other special treatment in-game. I would think the problems here would be obvious.
    keirkin wrote: »
    And if the only thing you can buy with Astral Diamonds is cosmetic items, convenience items and things like character slots, are the astral diamonds still "pay for power"?

Depends on the definition of "convenience items" (this is often a cloak for "pay for power" items), but potentially, no, they wouldn't be. But as far as I know, that's not the case.
    edited February 2013
    Astral Diamonds are equivalent to Dilithium in Star Trek Online, a currency that can be farmed by players with more time than money and sold to players with more money than time. In STO it has been an excellent way to bridge the two kinds of players. Early in the game there was much of the same angst we're seeing in this thread - the controversy has died away to a constant low rumble.

Regardless, one does not have to have dilithium (and I assume Astral Diamonds) for PvE, and for end-game PvP it is useful but as usual not critical when one considers build skill is more important.

Dilithium is most important for non-combat things like housing. Get into a large enough guild and that won't matter as much.

Real point: Cryptic has been honing this approach for awhile now and most customers familiar with it like it.

Nothing anyone can say right now will mellow folks out, you'll just have to experience it like many already have before you can really decide.

You put it far better than i did in my previous posts, agree 100% and i know that once the game is properly out and people see how it works all of the angst will die out.
    edited February 2013
    My understanding is that astral diamonds buy powerful items in-game:
    Name one powerful item in the game bought with astral diamonds please. Or a quote from someone that saw a single powerful item and what it was called bought for astral diamonds or link to a Dev post saying that there will be.

Now I didn't explore the whole game, but I didn't see one this weekend.
    edited February 2013
    Depends on the definition of "convenience items" (this is often a cloak for "pay for power" items), but potentially, no, they wouldn't be. But as far as I know, that's not the case.

This is the ramblings of someone with no proof saying "This is how it is!!!!", put up or shut up. Any verifiable concrete evidence that Astral Diamonds buy or will buy powerful items I will take as evidence I am wrong and you are right.
    edited February 2013
    Name one powerful item in the game bought with astral diamonds please. Or a quote from someone that saw a single powerful item and what it was called bought for astral diamonds or link to a Dev post saying that there will be.

Now I didn't explore the whole game, but I didn't see one this weekend.

I linked the information I have on the subject. If you believe that poster was incorrect, I have no basis to disagree with you.

But expecting people to recall and name singular items, especially now that the weekend is over, is silly and an unnecessary standard to establish the basic facts under discussion. That poster says he saw "good stuff" being sold for astral diamonds. I'm inclined to believe him. Perhaps you just didn't run into the right vendor?
    This is the ramblings of someone with no proof saying "This is how it is!!!!", put up or shut up. Any verifiable concrete evidence that Astral Diamonds buy or will buy powerful items I will take as evidence I am wrong and you are right.

I am expressing concerns under the basis of the best information I have available. I do not know for certain that "this is how it is". But I'm concerned that it is.

If the premise of my argument is wrong (i.e., astral diamonds do not buy powerful in-game items), then my conclusion may be incorrect. I can only assert with certainty the validity of my argument, not its soundness.
    edited February 2013
    You're paying for the game, to be able to play the game. Not to gain advantage within it. There's nothing wrong with that.

The analog of "pay for power" or "pay to win" in PnP would be bribing your DM for more XP, treasure, or other special treatment in-game. I would think the problems here would be obvious.

Well it's okay to disagree and have a difference of opinion; that's what this really is. So, coming from that place, when I used to play PnP, supplemental rules were in. If we could find source, we could argue it. So if I wanted, on the weekend I could march down to the local comic book store, go to the D&D counter, and buy me'self a rare and sought after magazine article with a new supplemental rule on this or that. To win an argument in a PnP game that would maybe get me through the next TPK.

That, to me, was pay to win.

So regarding NWO, let's wait for them to finish writing the book before we begin to tearing apart the fine print.
  • rohk007rohk007 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    to me Neverwinter is April/May 2013 is better than ESO Spring/Summer 2014.....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ausdoerrtausdoerrt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013

Likes are pretty irrelevant, at least to me. It's a known fact that Bethesda invests more into marketing and hype than into designing good games. And from past experiences, it's clear that the game will be riddled with bugs, some game-breaking, which nobody cares to fix while they make more horse armor packs. If that's the kind of game you'd rather play than a stable, good-looking, well-designed game from people who love games and love their work, then feel free *shrug*

As for "pay to win", nobody's seen the final game. There isn't much of a competitive element here, and they've promised to only sell convenience and cosmetics. Even if they sell a bit of power, they promised ALL content to be free, which is great. Unless you have proof that they're doing the opposite, I believe they're right until prover wrong.

P.S. To me, restricting content with valuable loot/special story/etc. to paying customers only is more "pay to win" than selling XP pots or other consumables will ever be.
  • syberghostsyberghost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,474
    edited February 2013
    Here's a data point for you from the weekend beta:

Astral Diamonds are the Auction House currency. This is unlike STO or CO, and implies two things:

1) There will be a lot more AD in the game than there is Dil or Q in those games.
    2) You'll be able to obtain it, albeit in small quantities, merely by auctioning mob drops.

Note that, if you VENDOR those items, you appear to get regular coins; gold, silver, copper.
  • hundredhandslaphundredhandslap Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 43
    edited February 2013
    The difference is...

Neverwinter is actually coming out this year. Probably even by the start of summer. ESO is two years away, at least. And will probably be incredibly outdated by then.
  • bobcat1313bobcat1313 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I think ESO is going to be just like SWTOR. A solid game but doesn't live up to the hype. I hope I'm wrong becaus I really want my battle mage. Full plate, sword in one and and magic in the other, but I bet I don't see it.

NWO I think is going to be bigger then one thinks. I really didn't think all that much till this weekend. I didn't even play beta but I can tell it looks like a wonderful game. There is think I didn't like(item indenty loot, and actually starting to wonder about companions the more I see them in action), but over all it looks great and alot of fun.

Thats what I think anyway.
This discussion has been closed.