test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

TESO vs. Neverwinter

Comments

• ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited February 2013
    It's not like you can't play both. I'm personally not very excited about TESO. I like that Neverwinter has stuck by the lore of Faerun. I would have liked an Elder Scrolls online game, but TESO seems like a generic fantasy MMO. Everything I liked about Elder Scrolls lore has been thrown out the window.

Maybe I'll try TESO when it inevitably goes free to play.
  • fruitvendor12fruitvendor12 Member Posts: 318 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    syberghost wrote: »
    Here's a data point for you from the weekend beta:

Astral Diamonds are the Auction House currency. This is unlike STO or CO, and implies two things:

1) There will be a lot more AD in the game than there is Dil or Q in those games.
    2) You'll be able to obtain it, albeit in small quantities, merely by auctioning mob drops.

Note that, if you VENDOR those items, you appear to get regular coins; gold, silver, copper.
    Good to know, and thanks for correcting me.
  • drwarpeffectdrwarpeffect Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I was on an equal footing with ESO and NW until the ridiculous $200 founders pack showed up which pushed ESO in the lead. ESO may similarly mess up their pricing scheme which means the balance could change later, but for now ESO is not only ahead on points (even though further from release), right now I am holding onto my game money for them over NW.
  • baneelement2baneelement2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    yes compare a game with an other that is still in closed beta very intelligent.
  • keirkinkeirkin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    syberghost wrote: »
    Here's a data point for you from the weekend beta:

Astral Diamonds are the Auction House currency. This is unlike STO or CO, and implies two things:

1) There will be a lot more AD in the game than there is Dil or Q in those games.
    2) You'll be able to obtain it, albeit in small quantities, merely by auctioning mob drops.

Note that, if you VENDOR those items, you appear to get regular coins; gold, silver, copper.

Here is another one. I got just over 6k Astral Diamonds in the 6 hours I played just from the praying at the shrine alone and you can refine up to 24k astral diamonds in a day I think that is 3x what CO is.
  • drwarpeffectdrwarpeffect Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    baneel: I have almost as much info about the two games since I refused to waste the $200 or $60 to get into the beta so far. Just because you are evidently somehow limited too much to make a comparison, please do not assume others are so limited.

syber: Any reason to think that these rates will still be true after release? (Really just asking, no implied disagreement intended).
  • garbadukegarbaduke Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 32
    edited February 2013
    The scrolls you need to enchant your items can become extremely powerful. By combining 4 together you get the next tier of scroll..by combining 4 of those you get the next tier...and so on and so on. When fuzing them together, the higher the level, the more chance of failure....unless you add a stone that helps with success. Anyone know if these "stones" will drop in game or will they have to be purchased in the ingame store? Im thinking ingame store. Which wont make this game neccessarily pay to win...it will just make the game pay to faceroll.
  • chili1179chili1179 Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'm fairly certain that the enchants drop.

Everyone gets a combat companion.

Astral Diamonds are obtainable in game.

Seriously, almost everything assumed in this thread can be found with a little effort, then again, most people who complain don't usually want to put forth effort, they just want free stuff and want to cry when they don't get it.
    There is a rumor floating around that I am working on a new foundry quest. It was started by me.
  • syfylissyfylis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    "Pay to Win" apply only to PvP so no summons on pvp and everything is ok.
    >>>>>>>>>>>> Prejt <<<<<<<<<<

33kel5d.jpg

My work: Heroes Blacksmith - Library
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?21051-Heroes-Blacksmith-Library
  • razorjack156razorjack156 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    LOL they do realize that all the stuff people are getting in the Founder's Pack are cosmetic fluff with a good bit of the in game currency? Apparently not, people who don't pay won't get the panther .. but he does the EXACT same thing the wolf they can get does ... so how is that P2W? EXP boosts have no real effect on a characters power .. so once again how is that P2W? Not certain about faerie fire, but probably another fluff spell that makes the target glow .. not exactly earth shattering. The spider is just an odd looking mount. I often wonder if people actually look into things before they post.
  • quorforgedquorforged Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    aescleal wrote: »
    Well it's okay to disagree and have a difference of opinion; that's what this really is. So, coming from that place, when I used to play PnP, supplemental rules were in. If we could find source, we could argue it. So if I wanted, on the weekend I could march down to the local comic book store, go to the D&D counter, and buy me'self a rare and sought after magazine article with a new supplemental rule on this or that. To win an argument in a PnP game that would maybe get me through the next TPK.

That, to me, was pay to win.

Indeed it is. Because the supplements were poorly designed and balanced.

I would also classify that, personally, as a very poor way to play a PnP RPG; not something that should be mimicked. Everyone at the table should be playing by the same rules, and a person's capacity to buy new rules should not translate into greater power in-game.
    So regarding NWO, let's wait for them to finish writing the book before we begin to tearing apart the fine print.

What's the point of a beta if not to tear it apart for flaws? Waiting for them to finish means waiting until it's too late to potentially persuade them against things we don't want in the final game.
  • syberghostsyberghost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,474
    edited February 2013
    keirkin wrote: »
    Here is another one. I got just over 6k Astral Diamonds in the 6 hours I played just from the praying at the shrine alone and you can refine up to 24k astral diamonds in a day I think that is 3x what CO is.

It's 3x STO as well.
    syber: Any reason to think that these rates will still be true after release? (Really just asking, no implied disagreement intended).

Oh, man, I hope I'm not coming off as somebody you can't disagree with; disagree away, my man; disagree away. :)

I think that PWE will want to replicate the success they're having with the STO numbers, where the balance is skewed toward Dil being expensive and Zen cheap, as that means the free players are happy because they're able to get Zen and the whales are spending a lot of money. So I'd expect them to try to balance things such that the AD:Zen ratio stays somewhere between 75:1 and 150:1. But ultimately, a tremendous number of things go into that, and there will be short-term trends that don't necessarily imply long-term trends (such as in STO currently where it spent a long time at 85:1 after the introduction of a lot of new Dil-heavy things, and didn't start coming up until players started to run some of those Dil sinks to their conclusions, and will really start to shift soon when people start completing Tier 5 starbases.)

But if you're asking if I think AD drop rates are close to what they'll be at launch? Yeah, barring some major change to a game mechanic that uses them that wasn't turned on for Beta, I expect we're looking at pretty close to the final numbers on that stuff.
  • klangeddinklangeddin Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    A game is what you make of it. Those "obsessed" with the Pay to win in a mostly PvE setting like Dungeon and Dragons should be are just going to be disappointed no matter how small or large the power gap between payers and non-payers is.
    I've played tons of free to play flash games in various websites that specialize in this kind of thing, even the ones with the lockboxes. Ehi, guess what. I didn't bother opening them and didn't care what was inside, but I progressed nonetheless.
    By the way, I think there are ways to obtain free Zen (I think those will convert in Astral Diamonds) by playing other PWE games. (And probably something will be added in here as well)
  • razorjack156razorjack156 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I hate it when I stray from topic..

From what I have seen both games are appealing to the console crowd. No targeting. Simplified abilities (no rotations, limited number usable at once). ect.

As of right now, as far as looks of characters, NWN is winning. ESO looks to be .. do you want the bulky looking armor with the horns or without? And it looked like 99% of the characters all had a sword. It was just funny that they were bragging how different you could make characters in the demo .. and all the characters looked alike, not to mention the animations were .. very basic. It is still early in their Beta of course so that will (hopefully) change. As a side note the scenery looks decent in both games.

ESO will also probably appeal more to the PvP mindset, since it has three factions and an Open world environment with capture points. Of course, this also depends on mechanics and designs of the fortifications themselves.

Also raiders may prefer ESO, since there appears to be very little focus of adding anything large scale to NWN for endgame.

I hope to enjoy both games myself. I was an avid fan of Forgotten Realms pre 4E and am curious about what has changed after.
  • indy20indy20 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    They confirmed in an interview with the TESO devs that the game play would be tab target combat. Neverwinter for me.
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Since the last video trailer there are a lot of rumors that TESO is going to be more or less PVP centric at end game, if that's the case I'll pass, not really seeing much of anything on the Horizon to take me away from NWO.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • deathreaper4udeathreaper4u Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    I would not bet against TESO.... Bethesda is the best game dev company out there and wins more awards and has more money resources and talent that just about anyone..
    I believe they have won more game of the year awards than anyone.. as a computer tech and a ex 3d graphics guy I can tell u their latest games are top notch and the mechanics and effects are excellent not to mention the stability, which is why ID games, Microsoft Bioware etc and others all work with them.

oblivion, skyrim, dishonored, Rage and fallout are titans in gaming history and no doubt Teso will win MMO of the year watch..

how anyone can say the game is like WOW or everquest is so wacky, the game is not even in advanced beta yet,, and u have not seen it, you saw a early alpha video with simplified graphics, and vertice models, and textures, and landscapes, not a polished beta 2 with advanced models engine and compilers.. skyrim is one of the best rpg games out there from a technical point of view.. so likely, the TESO will be too and heres the thing,, its likely Microsoft pays them a lot of dev money to port TESO to XBOX next gen 720 which would be the first console MMO,, how huge would that be,, think modern warfare territory.. since they have a great relationship with MSFT from Oblivion and skyrim on xbox.. ID games chose them to port DOOM and QUAKE on xbox which is a huge honor , and means if they can do that multiplayer an MMO console is not far behind
    COME WITH ME !
    edited February 2013
    I think we're still quite a ways away from having Skyrim graphics in an MMO. I hope TESO is a good game, I hope it looks great and I hope it lives up to it's history.
    There is a rumor floating around that I am working on a new foundry quest. It was started by me.
  • deathreaper4udeathreaper4u Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    my understanding is teso and other games that have multiplayer mmo type will have several graphics draw set options depending on the users internet speed, so ie , fpr example if they have 1.5-3 mbps , the lowest graphics quality sets load, if they have 6-15 mbps, the medium and above say 15 mbps the high skyrim single player type graphics load.. it can be done the limiting factor is
    internet speed, the next gen consoles will be 8 core cpu, 8 core graphics and solid state drives wicked monsters like the xbox 720, which will be faster than any desktop today and they will be selling by nov this year, the bottleneck is internet isp
    personally I have a 32 MBPS connection so it would not be a issue for me.
    COME WITH ME !
  • indy20indy20 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    TESO isn't being done by Bethesda, its being done by their partner company Zenimax.
    edited February 2013
    Also, Rage was not developed by Bethesda either, they are just a publisher.
  • trollololloltrollolollol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 120 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Another example of why F2P doesnt mean a damn.

Devs put the own website up, B2P model, hype and profit.
    edited February 2013
    indy20 wrote: »
    TESO isn't being done by Bethesda, its being done by their partner company Zenimax.

Zenimax owns Bethesda, its the parent company lol they huge and dominate see below the list they own

game dev companies and publishers just separate for legal and strategic reasons and to keep development a secret,, how long do u think a publisher marketing arm can keep secrets lol

usually game developers and publishers are separate companies,, and don't get along which is why so many problems occur,, and lawsuits and Bk s
    what makes zenimax so powerful and effficnent and smart is they are all in house one family like Microsoft so they have fewer issues with development

Zenimax Media- parent company-

Bethesda Softworks
    Bethesda Game Studios
    id Software
    Arkane Studios
    Machinegames
    Tango
    ZeniMax Online Studios
    Battlecry Studios:

Headquartered just north of Washington, D.C., with offices in North America, Europe and Asia, ZeniMax Media is a video game publisher, managed by an experienced group of executives, which has assembled a strong creative team of world-class game developers, graphic artists and designers, sound engineers, producers and programmers to create and sell premium video game titles to a growing worldwide market.
    ZeniMax creates and publishes original interactive entertainment content for consoles, the PC, and handheld/wireless devices. Its Bethesda Softworks division, founded in 1986 in the early days of the industry, has a long history of success as a publisher of award-winning video games. In addition, the ZeniMax group includes some of the most acclaimed development studios in the world. The Company's growing library of intellectual properties includes such major franchises as The Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Dishonored, DOOM, QUAKE, Wolfenstein, Enemy Territory, and RAGE.

Bethesda Game Studios:
    Bethesda Game Studios is the award-winning development studio known around the world for its groundbreaking work on The Elder Scrolls series. Creators of the 2006 Game of the Year, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, and 2008 Game of the Year, Fallout 3, Bethesda Game Studios has earned its reputation as one of the industry's most respected and accomplished game development studios. Bethesda Game Studios' latest game, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, earned more than 200 perfect review scores and was honored with dozens of 'Game of the Year' awards from the industry's most recognized outlets and events including the 2011 Video Game Awards (VGAs), 2012 Annual Interactive Achievement Awards, 12th Annual Game Developer Choice Awards, and the Golden Joystick Awards 2012, among others.

id Software:
    Founded in 1991, id Software has provided technical, design and artistic leadership as a game developer and technology innovator. id Software's iconic brands such as DOOM and QUAKE have become staples of popular culture for generations of gamers. RAGE, the latest game from id Software, won numerous awards at E3 2010, including 'Best Overall Game of Show' from IGN and three 'Best of E3' Game Critics Awards including 'Best Console Game'.

Arkane Studios:
    Arkane Studios, with offices in Lyon, France and Austin, Texas, was founded in 1999 and has earned an enviable reputation for creating distinctive games. Their most recent release, the innovated first-person action game Dishonored, has received worldwide critical-acclaim, winning over 50 awards at the 2012 Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) as well as GamesCom's "Game of the Show". Since its release in October 2012, Dishonored has received over 100 'Game of the Year' and 'Action/Adventure Game of the Year' awards from the industry's most influential media outlets.

MachineGames:
    Established in Uppsala, Sweden by former founding members of Starbreeze Studios, MachineGames is working on an unannounced project that is being built on id Software's revolutionary id Tech
    COME WITH ME !
    edited February 2013
    The Elder Scrolls Online doesn't look like Skyrim because it can't - MMOs can't yet replicate those sort of graphics on the scale they offer, insisted developer Zenimax Online.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-05-31-why-the-elder-scrolls-online-doesnt-and-cant-look-like-skyrim

There goes that theory, eh?
    edited February 2013
    that article is 1 from eurogammer, lol and 2- almost a year old
    the author knows nothing and never mentions xbox 720 or playstation 4
    he talks about current gen consoles
    next gen xbox 720 with 8 core graphics and 8 core cpu can handle mmo like teso no problem
    one of the reasons GTA 5 was likely delayed as the abilty of next gen xbox 720 is monumental I cant go into detail with NDA s etc but suffice to say MMOs are coming to console and Microsoft could be helping that happen
    in theory lol

the only limiting factor is now your internet speed,, for HD movies w DD 7.1 u need 6-10 mbps , with ultra HD 4000 K res youll need
    15 mbps

if you can watch and u can uncompress 2 HD movies with 7.1 sound at the same time sure as hell can play a MMO w decent datasets on a console lol
    COME WITH ME !
  • warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    i doubt eso will be to good since they doing heavy marketing on him same ea done on swtor,and by looks of gameplay it looks outdated and choppy, so that will be f2p in less then year and im not sure i will even try it then
  • emrendillemrendill Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 70
    edited February 2013
    maddmister wrote: »
    OK so what do you all think, TESO or Neverwinter? 995k likes/followers on facebook for TESO vs 35k for Neverwinter, hmm. I dont know but pay to win (neverwinter) definitely puts a huge red mark on this game for me and will shy the majority of folks away. Dont make a game F2P and then make them have to buy items in shop to "win". I would rather purchase the game for $60 outright than do that. So which will be the hero and who the goat? just my 2cents

If Elder Scrolls Online will be another "WoW" style MMO with a sub fee, it will most likely fail.
  • missoukmissouk Member Posts: 42
    edited February 2013
    teso
    without hesitation
    emrendill wrote: »
    If Elder Scrolls Online will be another "WoW" style MMO with a sub fee, it will most likely fail.

lol? :)
    teso isn't a wow like game with a foundator pack, only one server and crappy dungeons!
    teso isn't a wow like game with a d&d stamp on it
    teso will have a big open world and 3 factions pvp
    anyway, whatever teso is, it is million times better than neverwinter...
  • kyssumikyssumi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 73
    edited February 2013
    Considering races in TESO are locked to spceific factions and you can't ever go to and explore any areas specific to the other factions you can count me out of TESO, no interest at all anymore. Not to mention the ES series in general has gone downhill over the years anyways, Skyrim was a huge dissapointment imo. I know the mmo is much different from all the single player ES games but still.

From what little I have seen so far it looks like PW has changed things up quite a bit with how they are doing Neverwinter compared to all of their past games. I can't say for sure but I can only hope this is true and for the better as they don't have a very good track record with me but we'll see.

On another note the lore and locations and all of Forgotten Realms is extremely interesting to me whereas Elder Scrolls lore really isn't so much.

Either way I am very excited to try out Neverwinter whereas I really couldn't care less about TESO.
    "Reality is but a figment of our collective imaginations." -N.E.S.
This discussion has been closed.