Install Arc
Options

FAQ - AD/AH Exploit Follow-Up

Comments

• Options
    ctdummy80ctdummy80 Member Posts: 57
    edited May 2013
    shajib1234 wrote: »
    Ya all transactions can be tracked, but pwe dosent have the resources to do it. This is not Blizzard that has pretty much unlimited funds to maintain the game.

LOL do you guys even know what it takes to track these transactions? You make it sound like they must have a data center larger than the military to track transactions. there are these things called log files. There are also these things called databases. You'd be very surprised at how little space they take up and how very informative they are.
  • Options
    toyeverdaletoyeverdale Member Posts: 91
    edited May 2013
    felony charges for exploiting a game lol, you got to be kidding.

Depends on what was done. If real world money was exchanged, then yes, charges could be filed. Especially if the money in question came from PWE.

Check your EULA sometime.
  • Options
    ciyojciyoj Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    When are the servers will be on?
  • Options
    bitterbitergnomebitterbitergnome Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I am all for a wipe. It would be sad, but really a wipe is about all that is really going to fix this.
  • Options
    bruggzybruggzy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    "Following an extensive QA check, Neverwinter will begin again later this evening, with servers open for play before midnight Pacific Time. We hope to have them available sooner, and will continue to post updates on the forums and other channels. "

Welllllll .... still waiting. How bout you pick a time you can live up to.
  • Options
    greymasquegreymasque Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    felony charges for exploiting a game lol, you got to be kidding.

For making an illegal (and probably undeclared to tax authorities) profit by violating a contract (EULA/ToS) & hacking? Yea, that's a lawsuit and possibly a felony.
    I'm guessing you don't know much about contract law or internet law...
  • Options
    additionalpyloadditionalpylo Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Everyone is getting a FREE upgrade from their peasant fashion clothes to those of a lowly merchant's daughter!!!! ^.^

As we are supporters of gender equality, male and female toons will receive the dress.
  • Options
    jawiaejawiae Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    People already used this exploit since closed beta. 7 hour rollback will surely fix everything.... I'm not wasting more time with this game.
  • Options
    argantisargantis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Q: What is the ETA for live servers?

I know this was mentioned elsewhere, but I thought it should be added here.
  • Options
    tkdgus0330tkdgus0330 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    When exactly will the server be back up? Even an estimate time for the players and myself would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    wizzinwizardwizzinwizard Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    grimbryte wrote: »
    I was watching a streamer stream 1-60 Cleric in a 24 hr livestream, he got to level 59 before the server went offline. He's getting rolled back, that is very unfair. You can find his stream on twitch.

Eh, I feel for the guy, but if he can level that quickly then he can just do so again and probably even quicker, sounds like he knows what he was doing.
  • Options
    bingobongojrbingobongojr Member Posts: 42
    edited May 2013
    You do realize this exploit has been around a lot longer than like, since this morning, right? Right? ~_^ ...Right?! i mean, i'm not mad about the rollback, even though i did a ton of leveling and stuff right before the downtime. i'm even hoping this will fix the bugged <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> quest i was on and put in a ticket for. i just don't know if you guys are doing enough fixing to make this worth it.

they might as well track those individuals manually. althrough tons of 'that' AD might be long gone by now and could have changed owners like 82 times by now... so yea, pretty much the damage is done so they are just trying to do some damage mitigation, sort of :P
  • Options
    edrick1976edrick1976 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    THis "Gift" really needs to be something special or worth it because this 7 hours is NOT enought in my opinion.
  • Options
    aanuunaanuun Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ctdummy80 wrote: »
    LOL do you guys even know what it takes to track these transactions? You make it sound like they must have a data center larger than the military to track transactions. there are these things called log files. There are also these things called databases. You'd be very surprised at how little space they take up and how very informative they are.

Then why wasn't this exploit dealt with back when it happened on Star Trek Online?
  • Options
    mentalblankmentalblank Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thanks to the Devs for working so hard to fix this issue. Most of us appreciate your efforts, and the rollback is unfortunate but necessary. I, for one, am looking forward to the 'Thankyou' Pack, and am going to continue to support this game. Keep up the good work!
    As to the QQers, there are always people who are never happy. If you've really lost confidence in the devs, then that's unfortunate, but threatening them with quitting the game really doesn't achieve anything, and writing negative posts really doesn't help.
  • Options
    livancicbrelivancicbre Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Awesome, I like the way you handled things. Rollback is the right way to go, thumbs up from me.

-Godsend
  • Options
    bracokombracokom Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i am not happy with your solution and in spit of spending 300 dollars on the game i will not play it again as you did not solve problem
  • Options
    woelff2woelff2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    dezstravus wrote: »

We know that character progress matters in Neverwinter, so as an apology for the lost time and as profound thanks for your continued support throughout this Beta, we are putting together a package of items to give everyone. We plan to distribute this towards the middle or end of this coming week, possibly on Friday 5/24.
  • Options
    wizzinwizardwizzinwizard Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    greymasque wrote: »
    For making an illegal (and probably undeclared to tax authorities) profit by violating a contract (EULA/ToS) & hacking? Yea, that's a lawsuit and possibly a felony.
    I'm guessing you don't know much about contract law or internet law...

It's pretty clear that you know far less.
  • Options
    appledashedappledashed Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    1. Not to upset about the rollback, while it may inconvenienced some it will help with the economy.
    2. Remember this game is still in open beta so we are really at the disposal of what happens. As long as purchased items are given back after a rollback/reset, I see no problem with it. They can wipe characters and restart the world for all I care during the beta.
    3. Yes I have purchased yen and leveled a few characters so I'm not just some guy who wont lose much
    4. I thank them for being open about the downtime and the exploit and doing their best to fix it when it came to light.
    5. This game is fun and I intend to stick through it to full release, even if that means losing some hard work and what not.
  • Options
    evilmasta1evilmasta1 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    People, stop being greedy. Seriously, No ones losing any money, I feel bad for ya'll that lost some time. But it's only seven hours, It's not like every character is getting wiped from the server, and everyone needs to start from scratch.

Everyone wants something for nothing nowadays. Be happy that you're at least getting something out of it, Yeah, you may have to grind some more. But it's not like ya'll don't have the time to do it if you're playing the game in the first place.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The artist formally known on the forums as @CapsLockRAGE
  • Options
    cioclodel12341cioclodel12341 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is awesome news.

My friend who exploited this since day 2 of open beta can keep his 2.3 billion AD and keep selling it to the gold-farming sites.

He already made $8700 :D
  • Options
    jopadocjopadoc Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    gumdoc wrote: »
    Seems like the fairest resolution for all, kudos.

I agree. It sucks for those that had progressed and/or got some fat loots but im sure NWE will hook us up with some cool consulation gifts.
  • Options
    wtfwuzatwtfwuzat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Seriously, most of us just want to play. An ETA would be more satisfying than vengeance on the guilty.
  • Options
    greymasquegreymasque Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    well if you belive they will do that your an idiot

So if I believe they'll do the thing they said they're doing, and which would best protect their profit margins, I'm an idiot?
    Yea, you're either a troll or a kid who knows absolutely nothing about the outside world.
  • Options
    edgenwedgenw Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 124 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Depends on what was done. If real world money was exchanged, then yes, charges could be filed. Especially if the money in question came from PWE.

Check your EULA sometime.
    Honestly, when exploiting leads to gains and losses of real money (as was the case here), I really do wonder why developers don't start looking into taking legal action or reporting criminal action against the abusers.
  • Options
    murdochemurdoche Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You do realize they could have just wiped everything and told you all that... hey it was best to do it that way because of all the whiners? While not good customer service, it owuld have solved everything. Only takes 1 bad apple to spoil the rest. Now for the 2nd issue that this has been around since the beginning. Hmm, a good straight, truthful answer would be nice to get from them on why they allowed it to go on and then go omg wtf lets fix it yesterday. I've played in closed to open beta mmos before, that is simply asking yourself to just stop the game and scrap it because some royally screwed up hard on their side. And this is sadly a serious screw up, as long as its been going on i can NOT believe they were blind/stupid/dumb/idiotic/deaf to it and never heard anything about it till now. Don't go trying to pull the wool over our eyes there. Unless you are admitting to being that stupid. I cant see that. As far as I can see, we will never get any basic truth either, just a oh well here's a FU gift that isnt even worth the lost time.
  • Options
    origionaljpmamaorigionaljpmama Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have spent 30+ hrs this week and would be unhappy to loose all my hard work with under 3 bars to 60.So with the rollback they are doing I will probably only loose a few levels. for those of you that exploited the system They are striping all those exploits during the last day anyone that has done one prior to that date well you are still under investigation/Consider your self lucky and warned .If you did exploit you might still feel the wrath of the Admin.
  • Options
    torvinatorvina Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    so i might have missed this.. but what about the stuff we have on the ah will that be lost or will all be there when the ah is brought back up?
  • Options
    zaodaisazaodaisa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So the jist of it is they acknowledge the exploit was used far longer than 7 hours, that their solution doesn't actually resolve the problem, that the rollback ****s over pretty much everyone?

But at least we get unspecified future rewards to make up for it! I'm sure this is worth the disruption to not actually punish any of the people who have been exploiting for weeks! The actual design implementation that lead to the exploit was <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, and the whole "we're having a meeting to arrange for a discussion to schedule a time to talk about coming up with a plan" response to it is infuriating. Regardless of the reward, this entire ordeal has shown a staggering level of incompetence by the developers.
This discussion has been closed.