test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

FAQ - AD/AH Exploit Follow-Up

Comments

• Options
    archwardenarchwarden Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 55
    edited May 2013
    A question for you then:

What will you do if some weeks have passed, after your fix solution is applied, you find that the in-game astral diamonds economy was indeed destroyed, and no one is buying zen from you, because they don't trust you?
    Availiable for hire for T1/T2 DD at Mindflayer (european gmts):
    Gaurwulf - GF, hybrid tank/dps, GS 12.5k
  • Options
    dobsje25dobsje25 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't know. The fairest resolution in my opinion would have simply perma banned all that used this exploit. And leave it at that. I don't see how the masses have to suffer for the mistakes of the few where games are concerned.

And I'm not talking about the downtime, that is a w/e issue for me. I'm talking about the rollbacks
  • Options
    purplefly22purplefly22 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I bet the thank-you pack will contain a cat. :-D
  • Options
    e11ze11z Member Posts: 144 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    wimpazoid wrote: »
    I've only recently reached level 60 and have been actively farming epic dungeons for purples, I'm somewhat dismayed and would hate to see how much of those hard earned purple geared I've lost dur to the rollback.

Would you rather have a few purples, or 100s of people running around with 800million AD buying alll the latest things having all the best enchantments?
    You do realize this exploit has been around a lot longer than like, since this morning, right? Right? ~_^ ...Right?! i mean, i'm not mad about the rollback, even though i did a ton of leveling and stuff right before the downtime. i'm even hoping this will fix the bugged <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> quest i was on and put in a ticket for. i just don't know if you guys are doing enough fixing to make this worth it.

They will be dealt with accordingly I imagine. And also I thought the Gateway was down up until a few days ago?
    nuzzar wrote: »
    What about the fact that this bug abuse was going on a much longer time, if only used by very few before yesterday? Were those guys tracked down and their doings reverted individually?
    I imagine so..
    vivinana wrote: »
    why do you guys think that a 7 hour rollback is any sort of fix when people had been abusing the exploit throughout all of open and closed betas?

where did the 7 hour number come from?

It will fix the majority.

The game has been running fine up until that sunday.
    I've heard this bug goes back to a minimum of when Open Beta started..
    Can you confirm the actual initial point this exploit began.. I would hate for those using it prior to your stated time getting off, if in fact it has been used from further back.

I believe this is a rumour spread around people that got caught and banned.

@Neverwinter

This is definitely the best service I have seen in ANY mmo i have played.
    Such a fast and dedicated team - you guys deserve a beer thats for sure.
    Tera EU took 2 weeks before they fixed an enchant bug that allowed you to get weapons to Max and they EVEN did no roll back or anything whatsoever. Just a fix and that was it.
    The Best PVP Guild on Dragon/Neverwinter: YoloOldSkoolSwagLoveNeverGingersLuvDupStep even if it's just one of us, you might as well just afk.
  • Options
    dangwozesidangwozesi Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    3 weeks of exploit, 7 hours of rollback. How does it help to balance the economy? This decision is just making majority of the users unhappy because of the probably 2% of people who exploited. Wipe or rollback is not and never a solution for a Open Beta game!

Since it's a 3 weeks old exploit, does it even matter if you delay another day or 2 to have your full force to pin down on the issue? You should too have tools to track down abnormal behavior users. Check your bloody log files! How much of a problem would it be just to track down 3 weeks of data?

Sad to say, right now I don't think PWE is even able to track down half of all the exploiters. Salute to the NW's producer for making such an epic fail decision. good job!
  • Options
    yramragyramrag Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This 7 hour rollback won't solve the problem. This exploit has been going on since day one. All this does is punish the masses that found out while having the ones that have done it since day one a free pass..

Good grief, I keep seeing posts like these about how 7-hr rollback is not enough ... exploit goes back much further ... and so on.

Read the FAQ again. They are trying to balance the whole thing, between the people upset about the economy due to exploits, and between people who DO NOT wish to get wipe or roll-back like a few days because TIME/EFFORT spent is precious.

They are rolling back 7-hour, AND going after individual accounts that has been exploiting since early days. Should they have done this much earlier, before this whole mess? Definitely. But better late than never.
  • Options
    ctdummy80ctdummy80 Member Posts: 57
    edited May 2013
    yarrenze wrote: »
    There is no point in perma-bans, game is f2p, they can just make another account. Multi-accounts are a common thing in PW games. Even the IP ban is pointless, since most of the people have dynamic IP. I'm glad that you finally decided to make some sort of action. What troubles me is that an 7 hour rollback is not enough, but I guess you'd loose more players if there were a 2 day rollback. You better focus on fixing issues now, and in much quicker pace. I hope you'll take this as a warning. No matter how good you are at developing games, there will always be someone equal (if not better) at using your mistakes in their favor. In that manner, I'm thankful for those that abused your faulty system, and that they've stirred up things a bit in the Cryptic and PW staff. Hopefully you will start taking your job more seriously now and show more respect to the players, which are your market and essentially the reason you still have your jobs.
    I appreciate the server rollback, even as short as it is. I hope that you will restrain yourselves from doing similar things in the future. Take care of the problems once they have been reported, not when they escalate into something big like this. You're not a garage studio, nor this is just "another f2p MMO". This is Neverwinter, a game that was favorite of many, and even the very first RPG they played. Even though this game itself doesn't have much in common with original Neverwinter Nights series, you should at least pay more respect to its name and fame. After all, many of the players started playing it because of its name.
    Sincerely, Yarrenze.
    You miss the purpose of the perma bans. it's not to permanently ban someone from playing. It's to permanently ban an account from access thus removing it from the economy and forcing that player to start over as a punishment.
  • Options
    n0vastaronen0vastarone Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Are the exploiters being banned? Please tell me these people are being punished for this
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Join Date. Dec 2007
    The Original Novastar
  • Options
    greymasquegreymasque Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    stocklore wrote: »
    U guys saying stop QQing its a beta are crazy they can call it a beta all they want to but how many beta;s do they start selling stuff for real world money i mean there is no wipe and bugs fixes exploits can go on for years what are they beta testing the credit card machines ? They are playing to whole thing down to try and keep player base but i still love the game and will play :)

Every PWE beta has had the ability to buy Zen with real money. NW's closed beta let you buy Zen with real money.
    Also, it's what is referred to as a "soft launch."
  • Options
    faithles666faithles666 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thanks to the Devs for working so hard to fix this issue. Most of us appreciate your efforts, and the rollback is unfortunate but necessary. I, for one, am looking forward to the 'Thankyou' Pack, and am going to continue to support this game. Keep up the good work!
    As to the QQers, there are always people who are never happy. If you've really lost confidence in the devs, then that's unfortunate, but threatening them with quitting the game really doesn't achieve anything, and writing negative posts really doesn't help.

Actually it does help, by giving them at least some numbers as to how many people are now telling the makers of this game to **** off. This is the same( similar ) ****ing bull**** Sony entertainment pulled with Star Wars Galaxies, and we all know how badly that tanked.

What they should be concerned about is Damage control in the form of player retention. Im going to go out on a limb and GUESS that at least 15% of the current player base will now, no longer play this game. Even if that is a highball estimate, do you really think it won't rise as more and more of the lemmings open their eyes to a completely broken economy ?

If PWE and cryptic are too stupid to save a flagship game, a new title that they have invested so much into at this point, then let them burn, and maybe some other DnD/Forgotten realms game will be made by a company/corp that doesn't want to **** all over its player base.
  • Options
    abelcoeurdacierabelcoeurdacier Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    From what i have read the auction bug was known since star trek online.U know ppl have exploit since start of open beta ,and u want give only a rollback?

How can we assurate u will ban and delete exploiter account ,cheating since 1 month.We will have no evidence it 's do.
    We see a lot of spam on chat game and in mail ,but despite report spam continu again and again.
    I play pvp a lot and classes need to be balanced but if exploiter are full +9 runes it wil be difficult to challenge that.

I think if ppl like the game they will understand we need a full server wipe to have clean base.
  • Options
    klownzeroklownzero Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This will fix very little, as the exploit has been around far longer. Sure they will negate the explosion of damage done the last few hours before the server was brought down. BUT...they will do very little to the smart ones that said nothing and have been doing it since day one. Oh, I'm sure some accounts are banned, but I garuntee there are people that were smart enough to get away with this cleanly, and know that this is nothing to them. At this point, We the legitimate player's are being hurt without really solving anything. 'Oh look, they gonna give us a free gift package". Unless that gift package by some miracle include's the gear and enchantments i farmed in that 7 hours, as that was what i was doing, I am getting screwed. Before the troll's start attacking this, please read. I'm not saying a rollback was entirely a bad idea. Just saying that this effort is minimal solution and more a big F U to us that did not exploit. As much as i hate to agree with it, A clear wipe would have been, albeit, a bigger F U to us, but a solution to the exploit accounts, a REAL solution. This looks like more of an attempt to make it look like they are fixing it, but alas. It isn't.

P.S. Cryptic...If u gimmie some stupid box of fireworks and tell me thank you for my patience...
    When the shadow's embrace you, it is there you will find me.
  • Options
    methodforumsmethodforums Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    :D good job on the roll back. Im deff willing to give up the 5 levels i earned for a big fix like this. The AH is one of the biggest parts of online gaming. and having it all messed up effects alot of the game and loss of players!

Keep it up NW Devs/Staff! im rootin for you
  • Options
    luchiixluchiix Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    what about the bonus exp from the adventure pack? will the also be back rolled back?
  • Options
    cioclodel12341cioclodel12341 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Are the exploiters being banned? Please tell me these people are being punished for this

Oh noes, punished a f2p game that's out for 2 weeks. It's going to be SO HARD to create a new account and exploit all the other bugs.

You're adorable.
  • Options
    js3bjs3b Member Posts: 368 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    greymasque wrote: »
    For making an illegal (and probably undeclared to tax authorities) profit by violating a contract (EULA/ToS) & hacking? Yea, that's a lawsuit and possibly a felony.
    I'm guessing you don't know much about contract law or internet law...

even tho your right he could go in court for violating a contract, you should read the felony word in a dictionary
    Founder back a week ago, already pissed by cryptic ''no roll back'' decision

• Options
    kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    dezstravus wrote: »
    Our hope is that the majority of currency that was gained illegitimately was removed from the game.
    "Hope"??? "Majority of the currency"???
    So you're basically saying you know your roll back doesn't solve much, but "hope" it will be enough of a band aid.
    Well I suppose you made enough $ from this game already and are now shifting ressources to your next project, which will most certainly be based on another license so you can bait another pool of fanbois.
  • Options
    lnsurlnsur Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    muackz wrote: »
    You prefer rolling back approximately 1 day or all the way when the game just started its open beta? As far as I understand, it got worse from the past 7hrs. Eventually all the things will get balanced, just give it some time.

I'll tell you one thing: I don't think the devs and mods are OK with the idea that some people got over 6000-8000$ selling AD to webs and these webs to normal people.
  • Options
    swedishtrexswedishtrex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    for all the people saying the exploit existed more than 7 hours etc etc did you actually read the faq ?

"Q: This bug existed for more than 7 hours. What are you doing about the fact that players took advantage of this before the rollback window?

A: We are performing additional log searches and investigations to ensure that the appropriate actions are taken against any accounts that performed the exploit before the rollback window. Exploits that were performed prior to our rollback window make up a fraction of a percent of total impact, so we will be dealing with those issues selectively as not to cause greater impact on those legitimate testers."

to put it into clear terms, the majority of the exploiting to a level which cannot be handled with individual account investigations was done during this time, while the bug was there and exploited before there was only a limited ammount of people doing it so its manageable by account investigation.

I cannot understand how this seem to be rocket science to alot of you, plz understand the difference in volume and ammount.
  • Options
    amyciaamycia Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    PLEASE most of us want a total wipe with zen and founder pack refund, not the $,the zen, 7h is a BIG JOKE!!! everything is bug since start, i did not use any bug exploit to lvl up, i did not use AH exploit, neither group with GF exploit, but still i want to start everything over, just look at the pol on forum, and read that
    http://www.reddit.com/r/Neverwinter/comments/1eebyi/an_exploiter_claims_to_have_made_almost_six/
    7h won t do nothing,the guy says he doing that since launch,he got 72h ban on his main but still have toons with tons of items to sell..
  • Options
    genryu20genryu20 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2
    edited May 2013
    PEOPLE READ THE FIST PAGE JEEZ LOL

Q: This bug existed for more than 7 hours. What are you doing about the fact that players took advantage of this before the rollback window?

A: We are performing additional log searches and investigations to ensure that the appropriate actions are taken against any accounts that performed the exploit before the rollback window. Exploits that were performed prior to our rollback window make up a fraction of a percent of total impact, so we will be dealing with those issues selectively as not to cause greater impact on those legitimate testers.
  • Options
    morph2404morph2404 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thanks for the FAQ and keeping us informed. Just a little bummed out that I'll have missed out on some lengthy Leadership missions and this happened to be the third time I've been "need to fix exploits/emergency maintenance" out of celestial coins. :(
  • Options
    soulemergingsoulemerging Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't really know about any scheming going on & all that but...I think they've been doing a Great job since open beta. Endorsment/donations aside could YOU make a game like this? & it's free! I mean come on..

~Also, Does anyone know if Access to FOUNDRY is an option?~

I read that FOUNDRY has not been effected by this-is it Tied that deep to the servers? .. that may be down for a few more hours? or days? maybe say as long as it's a quest that's yet to be published or new ones we could work on? Throwing ideas idk but I will wait however long it takes to get my..Fix..

kickbackandgetoveritnoteverythingis.."perfect"
  • Options
    travail01travail01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 151 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    shajib1234 wrote: »
    felony charges for exploiting a game lol, you got to be kidding.

I can't help but think that PWE would come out looking like the bad guy if they took a few hundred kids and teens to court over video game exploits. :p

Now, the guy who claims to have made over $6000 selling his Zen to a gold selling website... That guy probably looks more like a Bond villain. Slicked back hair, eye scar, east-euro accent, wearing some sort of onesie jumpsuit with a turtleneck underneath. That's the kind of guy you can win a court case against.

-Travail.
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
  • Options
    vinchonctvinchonct Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    l1d3n wrote: »
    I have put in a request for Full Refund to PWE. If they do not give me a full refund because of the exploited trashed economy and state of this so called game I will contest the charges with my CC company. $250.00 for <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> and if you want to take my lifetime STO account also go right ahead. $450.00 down the drain all together. I can promise you this I will never again spend one dime in any of your games.

You have failed your paying customers that wanted to support this game and let the exploiters thumb their noses at all of us legit players.
    ...I don't even know why you spent $450 on this to begin with. The stuff you could of used that money with and you spent it on an mmo.
  • Options
    dnh2dnh2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    haha, funny :-D it probably will be something like that :-O
    Everyone is getting a FREE upgrade from their peasant fashion clothes to those of a lowly merchant's daughter!!!! ^.^

As we are supporters of gender equality, male and female toons will receive the dress.
  • Options
    tujunitujuni Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The only way to fix this is a complete wipe. Anything else is just ridiculous....
  • Options
    zuberilolzuberilol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Actually quite annoyed about this, due to the fact that i hadn't played for a week, just started playing during this "to be rolled back time frame" leveled a lot and now i will lose it?

Just ban the applicable accounts and keep everything the way it is, honestly the zen people buy through your website coupled with founders pack purchases imbalances the economy as it is, i gathered from this clear fact that there was intentionally no balance from the beginning (i didn't care either especially with 3 different currencies in the game).

So what difference does it make, we shouldn't have to pay for your mistakes. Plain and simple.
  • Options
    frodinthronefrodinthrone Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    "Exploits that were performed prior to our rollback window make up a fraction of a percent of total impact"

Many, many people were selling [Cat]s for 1 gold in the hours when everybody knew about the problem but you neglected to take the servers down. A fraction of a percent of how much are we talking about here?

I suspect the fraction is more valuable than the entire legitimate economy.
  • Options
    wonderpuffwonderpuff Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    servers up!
This discussion has been closed.