test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Exploit Follow up

Comments

• faethor70faethor70 Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Whew I was worried all the leveling I did this weekend would be rolled back. If that were to happen I'm afraid I would have to spend my money elsewhere.
  • ivaneyesivaneyes Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Sorry if I missed it in some other thread but what exactly was the exploit? What were these players doing? Thanks.
  • modulus321modulus321 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think it might be prudent to take a look at Blizzard's record in some of these situations. They are not afraid to deliver bad news in an effort to protect the game and its universe. From completely undoing past decisions or wiping years of effort from players to redo their system. Make what you feel is the best decision for the game and not for individual players and the players will follow. There *might* be a drop initially and a lot of "OMG I quit", but the integrity will show through.

Its a long term decision and there might be pain in the short term.

For my own opinion, this is what happens when you mix real life economics and directly tie it to artificial entertainment economies. It ruins the fun, if I want this I would be tempted to just play the stock market game. My plan is to pay the same amount as a subscription game a month, so I wouldn't care if this was subscription based.
  • largermidgetlargermidget Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ivaneyes wrote: »
    Sorry if I missed it in some other thread but what exactly was the exploit? What were these players doing? Thanks.

If you made an auction for negative astral diamonds and cancelled it you'd get the astral diamonds, or something similar to that.

Pretty bad really.

What makes it EXTREMELY bad is the fact that this exact same exploit appeared in one of their previous MMO games. Seriously now, how do you not learn from a mistake that big?

The proper game developers must be laughing at you guys right now, just like your player base is.
  • ivaneyesivaneyes Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ty for the info Largermidget!
  • crouton230crouton230 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ok Any word on the servers going back up at all? I have been waiting all day long for them to finally get back up and they still are not back up. Please if an admin looks at this, just reply if you don't mind. And as for The exploit problem I say wipe the game and all the players that bought zen need to have that zen ready for them right after they make a new character.
  • perjure2013perjure2013 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    seathe wrote: »
    I am a cash player. I buy zen and use it. After what I have heard about the AD/AH exploit, i feel the only way to solve this issue is to do a complete wipe. Refund all the zen back to the accounts of the ones that paid real cash for it. The founders packs will still be available to any one that purchased it when they create a character after the wipe. This will wipe out all the hundred of billions of AD and all the wrongfully purchased cats in the game. Some people will quit, some will stay, but it will solve the issue. As for them saying no character wipes after I certain date. Appologize, have everyone that had a character before the wipe, get a few exp boosters to help them level back up. Problem solved.

I like this idea. It's tough for all the items I bought legit with AD, but I would rather lose that, (it's just time anyways) than the real cash I have spent so far.
  • nonsense09nonsense09 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    That would be one solution. Another would be to ban every account that engaged in this and ever account that had the AD transferred to them.

What if someone, who use expoilt, bought my item in AH? You mean i will be banned in this case? Same situation was in Russian Perfect World. There was GL who used exploit and gave money to friends and clan members. They didn't know it was dirty money, but still almost whole 300ppl clan was banned. That was idiotism.
  • kharzonkharzon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just make sure if you do a roll back or a wipe, your billing department has enough staff on hand to do all the refunds that will be asked. I was no part of the exploit, bought nothing that was exploited and sold nothing to exploiters. We, those of use that are like me, should not have to endure a roll back or wipe. It's not like you don't have logs with who put what for how much on the AH. If you don't, you shouldn't be in the MMO business in the first place.

On the other hand, my understanding is this sort of exploit has happened in just about every game that PW owns. It boosts the sales of Zen, then they ban the accounts, alls well and they make out like bandits. Still doing some research to see how legit these claims are, but if they are legit, seems you'll be getting a request from me on a huge refund. That would just be the start.
  • capnmidnitecapnmidnite Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think they should bring in Paul Krugman and Timmy Geitner...their genius has done so much for the US economy.
  • brenawynbrenawyn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    When will the game be back up?
  • danbates2danbates2 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Can't the AH simply be disabled? I got my work done earlier so I could play tonight...poo. I really like this game.
  • brenawynbrenawyn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ok... glad to hear/read it... what's the issue/confusion? Sorry, don't get what your saying/asking.
  • redinisredinis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    They should:
    1: Remove AD and refund for Zen, but only to people who didn't cheat, obviously.
    2: Make the AH for gold and not AD, making only 1 type of currency running around.
    3: and or make a massive wipe, refund all zen spent as a total zen in your account and do 1: 2:
    and everyone is happy
  • skeletunskeletun Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Here is another suggestion (Don't know how doable):

Once the exploits are fixed:
    - Bring up new servers.
    - Offer Wipe/Transfers to everyone for a limited time.
    Those who accept will be given a freshstart on the new server with all items and characters wiped on the Old (beta) servers.
    Those who decline would remain on the current server only experiencing the necessary rollback to clear up the situation.
    - Once transfers are complete consolidate the "Beta" servers/shards to one server.

This gives people a choice. The current server/shards would just be the Beta shards. All new players would be recommended to the "Freshstart" shards, but can create on any. The biggest drawback I see here is that the current servers would eventually become a ghost town. But remaining is a choice left to the player.
    edited May 2013
    skeletun wrote: »
    Here is another suggestion (Don't know how doable):

Once the exploits are fixed:
    - Bring up new servers.
    - Offer Wipe/Transfers to everyone for a limited time.
    Those who accept will be given a freshstart on the new server with all items and characters wiped on the Old (beta) servers.
    Those who decline would remain on the current server only experiencing the necessary rollback to clear up the situation.
    - Once transfers are complete consolidate the "Beta" servers/shards to one server.

This gives people a choice. The current server/shards would just be the Beta shards. All new players would be recommended to the "Freshstart" shards, but can create on any. The biggest drawback I see here is that the current servers would eventually become a ghost town. But remaining is a choice left to the player.

I actually love that idea! I wish there was some way you could put that out there for them.
  • kingzorbinkingzorbin Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Classic case of one of the cheaters crying on the forums :)
    Why is this mmo a flop again? o because you got banned?
    Full wipe or not i'm a legit player and the games good so I play to have fun
    QQ less cheater
  • damatsudamatsu Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    manduchess wrote: »
    Notice how everyone is realizing they want a wipe. Do the right thing here Cryptic and PWE. Wipe and restart. We will forgive you, especially if you do it the right way. Be smart here. With no wipe this game is dead.

this game was dead the moment they made it so you could buy game currency and sell any and all gear on the AH real MMOs have bound on account best in slot gear.
  • walk2kwalk2k Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lisau1974 wrote: »
    It won't. Only way to normalize it is with a complete wipe, but PW/Cryptic are too greedy/lazy to do this as proven by Reddit.

And Reddit strikes again. This game is dead. Absolutely no way to fix it now. People have billions of AD and bought out all the Zen. Wipe, no wipe - you already lost and NWO goes on record as the biggest fail in MMO history.

If I was a HotN player or Guardian, I would try for a class action law suit.

you have a rich fantasy life, don't you?
  • hargeohargeo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Create another shard and move all nefarious behavior and assets there. Block zen transfer from this shard. Its not always a bad thing having exploiters if they can be controlled in isolation =).

Either way, I'm out to enjoy the content, environments and gameplay. It's not like injecting 10 billion AD (or whatever) into the economy ruins the basics of this particular game IMO.
    Just sayin...
    edited May 2013
    kingzorbin wrote: »
    Classic case of one of the cheaters crying on the forums :)
    Why is this mmo a flop again? o because you got banned?
    Full wipe or not i'm a legit player and the games good so I play to have fun
    QQ less cheater

Well im legit too, ppl who exploit just ruin the game. Why do ppl do that???? I dont get it. There is no challenge in cheating.

cheating present participle of cheat (Verb)
    Verb
    Act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage, esp. in a game or examination: "she cheats at cards".
    Deceive or trick.

All you hackers/cheaters out there need to be gone for good! Perma Ban!
  • drzeyusdrzeyus Banned Users Posts: 87
    edited May 2013
    If they cheated then they should get fully banned forever. Not just that account thier ip address and mac address. The illgotten gains then traded or given to others should be DELETED and FUNDS deleted.

How about you as a company FIX the freakin exploits in the first place. Come on that AH one get real you idiots. Fire the people involved with programming that garbage
    edited May 2013
    drzeyus wrote: »
    If they cheated then they should get fully banned forever. Not just that account thier ip address and mac address. The illgotten gains then traded or given to others should be DELETED and FUNDS deleted.

How about you as a company FIX the freakin exploits in the first place. Come on that AH one get real you idiots. Fire the people involved with programming that garbage

I agree with you except the firing of the ppl who programmed it that way bc programming is very very hard. You get one piece of code wrong, and it completely messes up the whole code. Its a very tedious task programming.
  • macejho44macejho44 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    crouton230 wrote: »
    Well im legit too, ppl who exploit just ruin the game. Why do ppl do that???? I dont get it. There is no challenge in cheating.

challenge? Maybe not.

But I'm told that these people made quite a considerable amount of money in this "exploit."

a LOT of money.
  • lilacflame2013lilacflame2013 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lisau1974 wrote: »
    It won't. Only way to normalize it is with a complete wipe, but PW/Cryptic are too greedy/lazy to do this as proven by Reddit.

And Reddit strikes again. This game is dead. Absolutely no way to fix it now. People have billions of AD and bought out all the Zen. Wipe, no wipe - you already lost and NWO goes on record as the biggest fail in MMO history.

If I was a HotN player or Guardian, I would try for a class action law suit.

COOL! Maybe you can go back to playing WOW and stop whining/p@ssing about it here!
    Don't Mess with the Affairs of Dragons for you are Crunchy and Good with KETCHUP!!:p
  • viper2003930viper2003930 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Twitter update: @Qii0152 Fixes are already in the process of being applied.

so it shouldnt be too much longer now guys and girls
    edited May 2013
    macejho44 wrote: »
    challenge? Maybe not.

But I'm told that these people made quite a considerable amount of money in this "exploit."

a LOT of money.

Yea but they are like leeches and ticks! They affect the legit players and they make their money the "easy way". If you want to make money dont steal it from the company. I prefer to work hard for my money. Lol no im not trying to sound mean to you. My intentions are not to argue lol. Just saying bc I dont want to start something.
    edited May 2013
    Twitter update: @Qii0152 Fixes are already in the process of being applied.

so it shouldnt be too much longer now guys and girls

Thanks for the update Viper! : )
  • voodoofrostvoodoofrost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    drzeyus wrote: »

If they knew it was there, it wouldn't have gotten this far. That's why we have an open beta. Closed for a few people, find and fix the obvious issues. Then open beta, throwing thousands of people in the mix. This tests server stability and uncovers a lot more of the unknown issues. These DEVs don't suck, they're following a working model of how an MMO gets to gold. There will be many more exploits discovered, I'm sure. And we'll have another thousand forum posts about how bad things are and bla bla bla.
    This is how it goes. And in my vast experience, these ladies and gentlemen are doing a great job of it. It's SUNDAY, for fkks sake, and they've been at this all day, even calling in back-up to help get us in-game as fast as possible.
    So why not just spend this downtime reading about every other MMO open beta in the history of MMOs and see just how much better we have it here, with the communication and ***-busting on a SUNDAY.
    Or just hit Post Quick Reply and flame my ***. I don't take anything said by QQers on a gaming forum to heart. Love ya ;)
    ign: Samedi
    TR, Beholder Server
  • lilacflame2013lilacflame2013 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    madmedic62 wrote: »
    I smell a class action lawsuit.
    Oh, I thought that was CHICKEN!
    Don't Mess with the Affairs of Dragons for you are Crunchy and Good with KETCHUP!!:p
This discussion has been closed.