test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

PWE's greedy zen store is ruining a great game.

mtgsusmtgsus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 5 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
So bugs and everything aside, I just cannot get over how greedy the zen store model is. I love the combat, races, questing, ect. It's just no matter how much fun I seem to have, I think about how bad the end-game is and how absurdly greedy PWE is, and I just lose all interest in this game. Unless they COMPLETELY overhaul the zen store, I see no future at all for this game, which is a shame. Hopefully Cryptic and other companys learn from this mistake. Gamers can smell bull-**** from a mile away, and their store just reeks of it.

I really, REALLY wish the store and end-game were better. I had such high hopes for this game, being both a D&D fan and a fan of MMOs. The kicker is, I would of easily dropped hundreds of dollars on this game if they werent so blatantly greedy, and I know I'm not alone.

TL;DR: PWE ruined an otherwise awesome game with their greed. Hopefully future MMOs learn from this.

Admin Response from Dezstravus: Thanks for the feedback! We're actively monitoring the feedback on this, so please keep posting your comments! As users in the thread have started, it's our continual goal to make all Zen Market items either optional (i.e. cosmetic/convenience), or attainable through utilizing the Astral Diamond exchange. Overall, Neverwinter is designed to be 100% Free to Play, meaning that we want you to be able to enjoy the entire core experience and have a ton of fun without paying a dime. Please continue to let us know how close we are to achieving this goal!
Post edited by mtgsus on

Comments

• syrumsyrum Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 168 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    This game is greedier than some and fairer than others. Given that this is F2P from the beginning, they are overpriced, IMO. Going against current F2P games that were previous P2P/Subscription, it's on par or a bit better.
  • amill72amill72 Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    We seem to have an opposite view on the game. PWE gave us a game that we do not have to spend a dime on should we not want to. The zen store will keep the game going because of people willing to pay for the extra instead of grind for it
  • sasheriasasheria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    amill72 wrote: »
    We seem to have an opposite view on the game. PWE gave us a game that we do not have to spend a dime on should we not want to. The zen store will keep the game going because of people willing to pay for the extra instead of grind for it

Also PWE allow players to GRIND (granted it may take a while or get luck in AH/drops) and convert TO ZEN and buy stuff.

I don't see many other F2P games does this.
    To grow old is inevitable, to grow up is optional.
    Please review my campaign and I'll return the favor.
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So yeah, you get everything you LOVE for FREE, and then complain that the perks cost money.

I'm not sure how this is greed?

I'm not playing the game in hopes of buying stuff from the Zen stores. I'm playing the game to have fun. I'm not sure how the two are related. You don't even have to touch the Zen store to have a good time in Neverwinter.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • nectarprimenectarprime Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mtgsus wrote: »
    So bugs and everything aside, I just cannot get over how greedy the zen store model is. I love the combat, races, questing, ect. It's just no matter how much fun I seem to have, I think about how bad the end-game is and how absurdly greedy PWE is, and I just lose all interest in this game. Unless they COMPLETELY overhaul the zen store, I see no future at all for this game, which is a shame. Hopefully Cryptic and other companys learn from this mistake. Gamers can smell bull-**** from a mile away, and their store just reeks of it.

I really, REALLY wish the store and end-game were better. I had such high hopes for this game, being both a D&D fan and a fan of MMOs. The kicker is, I would of easily dropped hundreds of dollars on this game if they werent so blatantly greedy, and I know I'm not alone.

TL;DR: PWE ruined an otherwise awesome game with their greed. Hopefully future MMOs learn from this.

So the company that made this entire game, and lets you play FOR FREE, is greedy because some stuff that you can readily ignore is too expensive for you?

Don't open the freaking Zen market window. Problem solved.

Also using the term "gamers" makes you sound like a child.
  • kurtz0619kurtz0619 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 38
    edited May 2013
    There is no problem with the Zen store. I complained about it at first but now I'm lvl 60 without spending a dime. It's F2P, how are you goimg to complain about a free game? It boggles the mind. The only thing I think could be tweaked is the price of respec.
  • s3pts3pt Member Posts: 177 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

You're definitely not alone. The absurd cash shop has made this a fun game to play till some of the new releases, with much more reasonable pricing models come out, rather than a long term game I would happily throw money at.
  • davidwcdavidwc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I will simply say, that is has been proven time and time again, that if you charge less for things, more people will buy them or that less people will buy more of them. The key is finding that balance. If for nothing else, you would garner far more good will by charging a more "reasonable" prices for things. Walmart is a generally reviled company, but they make money hand over fist by selling cheap items en masse. I would stake everything I have that for every person that will buy one item at $60, there are far more than 6 that would buy an item at $10. I think they are wrongly counting on a few large purchases to make them money, when in fact, a multitude of smaller purchases would serve them better. But, that's just my opinion.
  • elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    davidwc wrote: »
    I would stake everything I have that for every person that will buy one item at $60, there are far more than 6 that would buy an item at $10.

You might be right in the general case, but you are definitely wrong when it comes to online gaming.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • nectarprimenectarprime Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    s3pt wrote: »
    You're definitely not alone. The absurd cash shop has made this a fun game to play till some of the new releases, with much more reasonable pricing models come out, rather than a long term game I would happily throw money at.

Hang on a sec..... this game was fun to you, until they released optional things that you had to pay for, and adding these things to the game while taking absolutely nothing away from you made you enjoy the game less?
  • mmcsky1mmcsky1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ironzerg79 wrote: »
    So yeah, you get everything you LOVE for FREE, and then complain that the perks cost money.

I'm not sure how this is greed?

I'm not playing the game in hopes of buying stuff from the Zen stores. I'm playing the game to have fun. I'm not sure how the two are related. You don't even have to touch the Zen store to have a good time in Neverwinter.

No i do not get everything i love for free, respecs are not free, mount training is definitely not free ( 2million AD? how in hell am i going to farm that?),buying anything remotely useful off players is not free.

The overall point is not that we have to pay, is the amount of money we HAVE TO pay, anything remotely useful is over 500k AD.

This game feels more like a single player game with multiplayer available, and yet single players at least give basic core rpg gameplay features.This game needs a lot of refining if they expect anyone with a brain pay for their overpriced <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.
    edited May 2013
    mmcsky1 wrote: »
    No i do not get everything i love for free, respecs are not free, mount training is definitely not free ( 2million AD? how in hell am i going to farm that?),buying anything remotely useful off players is not free.

The overall point is not that we have to pay, is the amount of money we HAVE TO pay, anything remotely useful is over 500k AD.

This game feels more like a single player game with multiplayer available, and yet single players at least give basic core rpg gameplay features.This game needs a lot of refining if they expect anyone with a brain pay for their overpriced <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.

God forbid you actually work for something. It's really not hard to grind out 100k AD. This game at least lets you buy cash shop stuff without cash, if you work for it.

Oh, and again, nothing in the cash shop is required to play.
    edited May 2013
    Hang on a sec..... this game was fun to you, until they released optional things that you had to pay for, and adding these things to the game while taking absolutely nothing away from you made you enjoy the game less?

Yes, its the priciple of it, and I don't consider MMO staples like re-specs to be optional.

Here's a question for you: Are you against lowered prices in the cash shop? If so, why?
    edited May 2013

Your comment is as jumbled up as the person you quoted...

On topic,I think we all want to throw our money into PWE lap, but the only reason we do not is because we feel we are not getting anything worthy of our money.
  • bringerofreddawnbringerofreddawn Member Posts: 109 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

OK, so give me your expert analysis. Why is it expensive? What is expensive?
    How do you determine the "right" price for the items?
    I bet you didn't even put any thought into these questions and just felt like sharing something for the sake of *****ing.
    edited May 2013
    God forbid you actually work for something. It's really not hard to grind out 100k AD. This game at least lets you buy cash shop stuff without cash, if you work for it.

Oh, and again, nothing in the cash shop is required to play.

Oh really? nothing you say... hmm i wonder what will those peeps that screwed up their set up while lvling and now want to pvp?Imagine 6 dollars everytime you decide to change your playstyle.
    And i wonder how 100k is anything close to 2million or 500k AD for mundane things like first lvl mount training are going to be.
    The sole fact that you have to use AD to buy things off the AH is a ridiculous thing at low lvls.
    edited May 2013
    Yes, its the priciple of it, and I don't consider MMO staples like re-specs to be optional.

Here's a question for you: Are you against lowered prices in the cash shop? If so, why?

I would hardly call it a staple. For people who don't put any thought into their character, I guess it is.

I'm not against or for lowering prices. I'm not the one who has to weigh the cost against the product this company is marketing. There is nothing in the cash shop that is necessary for play.
    I suggest you learn basic reading comprehension.
    edited May 2013

On topic,I think we all want to throw our money into PWE lap, but the only reason we do not is because we feel we are not getting anything worthy of our money.

What was jumbled about my post?
  • ravinravin Member Posts: 587 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ugh, yet another poster posting yet another z-store is too expensive. Have you not played any other Cryptic games? They are doing fine with comparable z-stores.
    =\/= ================================ =\/=
    Centurion maximus92
    12th Legion, Romulan Republic
    12th Fleet

=\/= ================================ =\/=
    edited May 2013
    Oh really? nothing you say... hmm i wonder what will those peeps that screwed up their set up while lvling and now want to pvp?Imagine 6 dollars everytime you decide to change your playstyle.
    And i wonder how 100k is anything close to 2million or 500k AD for mundane things like first lvl mount training are going to be.
    The sole fact that you have to use AD to buy things off the AH is a ridiculous thing at low lvls.
    They screwed up. Before WoW and all these other baby MMOs, you were stuck with the mistakes you made.
  • sasheriasasheria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013

It was no different than needing a lot of gold for WoW mount training (that was expensive UNTIL they reduce the cost by a lot and level requirement)

flying mount training? yea.. that is gonna set you back (you do dailies to get the money)

Same thing in here. you can do dailies, profession and other stuff to earn AD. 2mil at 24k a day is 83 days. ASSUMING you don't get anything BoE that you can sell in AH and make any money.
  • chase82chase82 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think the OP needs their head checked, the people who work on Neverwinter need their wages paid as well, besides trying to earn a profit they have to first of pay for server cost and wages at the very least. Arguably you probably only "need" to buy 1 respec, that's 6 bucks for how many hours you get?
  • bcomptonbcompton Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Another I get a plain brown horse instead of an Armored Bear thread... PWE leave the zen store as it is. you read these boards too and you know that the reason that the majority of threads are whinners is because the MAJORITY of the people are too busy having fun playing it instead of posting. I understood what your buisness model was going to be and understood that you need a source of revenue or this game will shut down before open beta ends...
    well back to the game
  • back2workback2work Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Path of Exile does it much better and much cheaper.
    edited May 2013
    davidwc wrote: »
    I will simply say, that is has been proven time and time again, that if you charge less for things, more people will buy them or that less people will buy more of them. The key is finding that balance. If for nothing else, you would garner far more good will by charging a more "reasonable" prices for things. Walmart is a generally reviled company, but they make money hand over fist by selling cheap items en masse. I would stake everything I have that for every person that will buy one item at $60, there are far more than 6 that would buy an item at $10. I think they are wrongly counting on a few large purchases to make them money, when in fact, a multitude of smaller purchases would serve them better. But, that's just my opinion.

The difference is that Walmart doesn't have a system where I can just walk around the store and having fun AND earn free stuff (AD to Zen)

You have to input the AD/Zen market into the equation. If the prices are low, then people who DON'T pay can get anything for free even cheaper (some already do) because of the AD/Zen, now if you see other games where the cash shop is cheaper BECAUSE they don't have any ingame to cash shop currency conversion.
  • kilo418kilo418 Member Posts: 823 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    D'Brickashaw Ferguson spends money at the Zen Store. 'Nuff said.
    edited May 2013
    I would hardly call it a staple. For people who don't put any thought into their character, I guess it is.

I'm not against or for lowering prices. I'm not the one who has to weigh the cost against the product this company is marketing. There is nothing in the cash shop that is necessary for play.

I suggest you learn basic reading comprehension.

Ah the classic "for people who don't put thought into their character" line. This is an MMO that is based on ever changing and balancing skill choices, they aren't set in stone. That argument holds no water.
    edited May 2013
    back2work wrote: »

unless I missed it, does Path of Exile allows you to earn in-game money and convert to cash currency?
    edited May 2013
    back2work wrote: »

And is a completely different type of game.
    edited May 2013
    Ah the classic "for people who don't put thought into their character" line. This is an MMO that is based on ever changing and balancing skill choices, they aren't set in stone. That argument holds no water.

Based of ever changing skills? What are you smoking? Plan out your character and stop blaming your ignorance on the game.