test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

PWE's greedy zen store is ruining a great game.

12346»

Comments

• spyke2009spyke2009 Member Posts: 674 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Im not even sure if I want to respond to anything you are writing because you are only interested in going all hostile and offensive on me right now.

But lets try. You see my logic as flawed. Thats perfectly fine since everyone percieves things differently. The thing is though - nothing is definite, and no one holds knowledge how things should be set up to be "proper".

If you dont have fun from AH, or taking advantage of market then this is clearly not game for you. Personally I dont enjoy modern fps games but im not playing them. What wonders me though is that you have idea what this game is all about yet, you see you are not target of it, but yet you insist on fixing it to your liking.

About whole "game" and "priorities" I can say only that there are titles like farmville or mafia wars considered as a games. Its definitely very wide topic and once again - you have different priorities than developers so just let it go and play something more to your taste.

Also please do keep sticking words into my mouth as Ive never said being "rich" was an "achievement" - im having great laugh right now, so please do provide more of it.

An auction house, is not mandatory for a game to function. Plenty of games function without one. If you do have a better grasp of logic than your previous posts betray, then you will know you can't really argue that to be wrong. And even if you could convince everyone that it is a necessary evil in the game, you still can't say for definite that it's not completely FUBAR right now, with all the exploiters, the founders AD the marketeers, it's gotten to the point where every time an AH is introduced in a game it's more of a problem and a way for abusive players to exploit than a godsend for the average joe player. They need to REALLY start looking into how to stop abuse of markets in these games or watch as it becomes more of a turn off for players.

Stating this isn't the game for me because I see flaws with the lack of regulation in the auction house systems being used and the sheer lack of innovation in terms of how they're implemented, is to me a bit of a ironic and insulting line of attack, stop telling me that this game is not for me because I don't agree we should be turning the game into "neverwinter tycoon: 2013"
    I derive fun from playing the GAME not the MARKET. And I see this game as what it is. A hack job conversion from a different paradigm of RPG into an MMO. Because that's what it IS. And it's not about ME, it's about the fact that those that focus purely on the market are usually exploiting the game and bugs, or it's players. Your wealth COMES from the other players, and gouging them, it's greed in a greedy design, promoting more greed... I'm no idealist, but it's part of what I see as WRONG with these models and directions.

Also those "games" such as mafiawars etc, are the "social games" that aren't very social...many times they're also described as EVIL and highly destructive to games design in general and abuse of the techniques that were devised to make games last longer and be more enjoyable, you then once again come back to the different wording of the biggest fanboy cop out in the history of gaming

"go play something else"

I'm interpreting the arrogant attitude you clearly took when ending your last post, if it's not an achievement to you, then why bring it up?

So how about this, why don't we instead of using such vapid GARBAGE such as "go play something else" as an excuse, discuss the overall impact of the game design changes of this GENRE that we see here, which can be argued to be DAMAGING the longevity and success of MMORPG's, which as it goes is where that goto response fails because FPS games are of a different genre and go by different design methods and ideals.

In otherwords, why don't you stop repackaging the same flawed response, and semantics, and instead give real enough reasons why the designs of this game are GOOD for the genre?
  • fongadorfongador Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 264 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    varsas13 wrote: »
    The prices on some of the stuff should be a bit more tuned down, or throw in some rather common / not too un-common %off sales on the store.

One thing that REALLY! and I mean REALLY dissapoints me is the fact we need to spend 600 Zen to Respec our core choice power points. We can only spend 5$ minimum, right? So this means if we were to spend $ we'd have to do at least 10.

I love the fact that we're able to exchange in-game obtainable currency for the Real $ shop currency, I just feel the power point system should be set to Astral Diamonds only instead of Zen, so. so many players leveling up just putting points into what they "think" is the best choice. Only to get disappointed later on and ever more disappointed when they find out they need to pay 600 zen for a crucial part of their gaming performance

I think their respec cost is actually one of the more reasonable myself. Granted I personally think that that the current end chest should give one free respec token but outside of that whatever...

My gripe is the insane amount of times content needs to be repeated just to meet the criteria of matching the 24k Ad refined limit. They're killing their own game by doing it this current way far as I'm concerned and it isn't necessary. They aren't defeating the ultra grinders and they're simply causing least a portion of their normal gamer status quo to say screw it.
  • shadeonyxshadeonyx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Honestly, I am good with the fact that it's F2P, good with the fact that those that don't want to grind need to pay to get Zen... I am ok with all that...but I also agree that there are certain things that are way too out priced by in game currency... Enchanted keys or even the Zen exchange for things... I think simply the exchange needs to be more fair
    Another thing... ok so you don't want to pay a subscription... great...ok what about those of us MMO gamers who don't mind... I mean really 10$ only gets me 1000 Zen? How is that? sorta sucky....
    I mean maybe you guys might want to look at other games for fairness, your other game worlds have a more equal exchange for Zen, even Star Trek...
    I mean what if I am ok say spending $20 bucks a month? How come that won't get me say at least 10000 Zen... I mean have you seen the prices on some of the stuff we use regularly?

Just curious
    Shade
    edited May 2013
    shadeonyx wrote: »
    Honestly, I am good with the fact that it's F2P, good with the fact that those that don't want to grind need to pay to get Zen... I am ok with all that...but I also agree that there are certain things that are way too out priced by in game currency... Enchanted keys or even the Zen exchange for things... I think simply the exchange needs to be more fair
    Another thing... ok so you don't want to pay a subscription... great...ok what about those of us MMO gamers who don't mind... I mean really 10$ only gets me 1000 Zen? How is that? sorta sucky....
    I mean maybe you guys might want to look at other games for fairness, your other game worlds have a more equal exchange for Zen, even Star Trek...
    I mean what if I am ok say spending $20 bucks a month? How come that won't get me say at least 10000 Zen... I mean have you seen the prices on some of the stuff we use regularly?

Just curious
    Shade

I personally think they misjudged how many would pay $15 a month to deal w/o the bs like having to repeat content over and over and over again just to get a couple thousand AD. Least I know I would have...
  • arlandinoarlandino Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's unfortunate too because it IS a great game. I am really enjoying myself but at level 43 I haven't really made enough AD on my own to do much of anything. I will say I purchased the Founder's pack and was a little put off by the price but I feel I got my money's worth there. But thinking about alts... and bags for the alts...and respecs... and these **** nightmare chests that are staring at me in my inventory for 1.25$ shot at nothing (Guild Wars 2 had just as bad of a greedy cash grab chest system with totally useless stuff in it 90% of the time)...All of these things just seem like a hassle I'm not sure I feel like dealing with. Unfortunately it seems like PW prefers to go for the "high gross/low volume" business model.

It's a shame.
    edited May 2013
    arlandino wrote: »
    It's unfortunate too because it IS a great game. I am really enjoying myself but at level 43 I haven't really made enough AD on my own to do much of anything. I will say I purchased the Founder's pack and was a little put off by the price but I feel I got my money's worth there. But thinking about alts... and bags for the alts...and respecs... and these **** nightmare chests that are staring at me in my inventory for 1.25$ shot at nothing (Guild Wars 2 had just as bad of a greedy cash grab chest system with totally useless stuff in it 90% of the time)...All of these things just seem like a hassle I'm not sure I feel like dealing with. Unfortunately it seems like PW prefers to go for the "high gross/low volume" business model.

It's a shame.

I think it is fair to say if some HoN Founders feel this way as well there is a serious issue in the game design related to of all freaking things Ad & Zen or in retrospect the pay model overall.
    edited May 2013
    arlandino wrote: »

It's a shame.

You should see their latest offering in terms of RMT boxes... shameful. But back on topic:

Yeah these are remnants of the worst of older titles that had highly controversial monetization systems, ZT online had those boxes and they were DISGUSTING. They're basically online gambling and they instill a sense of hatred in me that never truly washes out.
  • darkwingz88darkwingz88 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    spyke2009 wrote: »
    An auction house, is not mandatory for a game to function. Plenty of games function without one. If you do have a better grasp of logic than your previous posts betray, then you will know you can't really argue that to be wrong. And even if you could convince everyone that it is a necessary evil in the game, you still can't say for definite that it's not completely FUBAR right now, with all the exploiters, the founders AD the marketeers, it's gotten to the point where every time an AH is introduced in a game it's more of a problem and a way for abusive players to exploit than a godsend for the average joe player. They need to REALLY start looking into how to stop abuse of markets in these games or watch as it becomes more of a turn off for players.

Stating this isn't the game for me because I see flaws with the lack of regulation in the auction house systems being used and the sheer lack of innovation in terms of how they're implemented, is to me a bit of a ironic and insulting line of attack, stop telling me that this game is not for me because I don't agree we should be turning the game into "neverwinter tycoon: 2013"
    I derive fun from playing the GAME not the MARKET. And I see this game as what it is. A hack job conversion from a different paradigm of RPG into an MMO. Because that's what it IS. And it's not about ME, it's about the fact that those that focus purely on the market are usually exploiting the game and bugs, or it's players. Your wealth COMES from the other players, and gouging them, it's greed in a greedy design, promoting more greed... I'm no idealist, but it's part of what I see as WRONG with these models and directions.

Also those "games" such as mafiawars etc, are the "social games" that aren't very social...many times they're also described as EVIL and highly destructive to games design in general and abuse of the techniques that were devised to make games last longer and be more enjoyable, you then once again come back to the different wording of the biggest fanboy cop out in the history of gaming

"go play something else"

I'm interpreting the arrogant attitude you clearly took when ending your last post, if it's not an achievement to you, then why bring it up?

So how about this, why don't we instead of using such vapid GARBAGE such as "go play something else" as an excuse, discuss the overall impact of the game design changes of this GENRE that we see here, which can be argued to be DAMAGING the longevity and success of MMORPG's, which as it goes is where that goto response fails because FPS games are of a different genre and go by different design methods and ideals.

In otherwords, why don't you stop repackaging the same flawed response, and semantics, and instead give real enough reasons why the designs of this game are GOOD for the genre?

Tl'dr.
    Keep pvping on forums its meta game as well :)
    edited May 2013
    They could seriously offer a plan with full bag inventory and a sum of 25k to 30k a week in AD and I would happily pay for it for around fifteen a month. Even keep the shop for the rest of their stuff. I would just like to login and play what I want without feeling forced to do certain things just to gain some AD assuming I even have the time or don't amusingly out level a tier and what I tried to do essentially becomes worthless.

..and rid of some other locks of course. Makes me not want play a game how it is designed cash shop wise that I would be happy to pay a monthly fee to access.
  • direbornedireborne Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Going to chime in to say I absolutely agree with the OP. I have no problem with F2P model, I have no problem with paying for my entertainment, and I really enjoy the game. However, feeling that I am being coerced into paying puts a huge damper on my desire to stick with it. The main issues for me are:

1. Having to pay for respecs (honestly if you're not going to let us respec at reasonable prices with an ingame currency, at least one free respec at max level is a must.)

2. The leveling is tuned for a player and a companion. However, companions not bought from the zen shop do not hold up past lvl 35-40. Therefore, a player is effectively forced to buy from the zen shop or suffer an unbalanced 20+ levels. It's not impossible to keep going but definitely does not make for an enjoyable experience.

3. Bank slots and bags either need to be a lot cheaper or the initial free space needs to be made quite a bit bigger.

4. Players should have a chance of getting things like keys, dyes, etc. outside of the zen shop. What I mean is that there should be a (small) chance of them dropping somewhere in the game.

3. For god's sake please please please stop with the Admin messages about Nightmares. That is, it would be fine if we could block/hide the spam but as it stands it's a cheap and severely annoying marketing gimmick that's bound to make people like me more hostile toward the idea of the cash shop rather than want to go buy things.

4. The above also goes for the incredibly obnoxious box that offers to buy scrolls upon death. I might have actually considered buying those to begin with but I won't now, so once again your marketing strategy is having an adverse effect.

5. I won't talk about endgame dungeons as the topic has been covered a thousand times over. Just... please fix the queuing system that currently allows a group without a tank and/or healer to be put together, as if it's in any way viable. Longer wait times would be better than having to requeue endlessly, getting kicked over and over and over, or doing the same to others.

6. Foundry. It has great potential but the problem at max level is that it's overtuned and yet offers very little reward. If there was a chance at something valuable (even cosmetic or whatever) dropping then it would go a long way to make players want to do it, and also possibly create Foundry quests - right now, because I know how abysmally unrewarding it is, I can't find the motivation to bother.

You hit the nail on the head with game play. Combat is incredibly fun, leveling feels the least grindy of all the MMOs I've played, there's just the right amount of story and lore. It could be the game to play for years to come.

Except for the pricing model. In its current state I do not see myself sticking around beyond another few weeks, and I know many, many people who feel the same way.
    edited May 2013
    Tl'dr.
    Keep pvping on forums its meta game as well :)

Translation: "I don't have a valid response, so I'm going to immaturely make out that you're attacking me for one comment for which you've already apologized, whilst making out that this is all beneath me"

If you're not going to read responses on the forums or take part in the discussions, then don't post on the forums, there's the same logic you continually fall back on when it comes to the design choices in this game which I disagree with, only used in it's PROPER context. So...
    let's test your sincerity and faith in that logic shall we?
  • flayedawgflayedawg Member Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    direborne wrote: »
    For god's sake please please please stop with the Admin messages about Nightmares

O, please, this. All of the other things this poster mentioned are tiny issues for me, but THIS one is irritating beyond belief. Please stop it.
    Fare you well
    Let your life proceed by its own designs
    Nothing to tell
    Let the words be yours, I'm done with mine ...
  • darkwingz88darkwingz88 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    spyke2009 wrote: »
    Translation: "I don't have a valid response, so I'm going to immaturely make out that you're attacking me for one comment for which you've already apologized, whilst making out that this is all beneath me"

If you're not going to read responses on the forums or take part in the discussions, then don't post on the forums, there's the same logic you continually fall back on when it comes to the design choices in this game which I disagree with, only used in it's PROPER context. So...
    let's test your sincerity and faith in that logic shall we?

I just skimmed through bit of your lengthy post and you are sounding hostile there as I've predicted.
    To be honest its very deep topic to delve into right now, as it would take mulitplie pages of "wall of texts" to even scratch how game design and business works. Lets just say since we are playing game made for profit, they have very different principles than people making game for fun or doing their lifelong dream come true. Thats why im saying you should go play different game because if you can see flaws of this title, and cashgrabbing schemes and it seriously kills your enjoyment of game, there is no point in continuing adventure in neverwinter. They wont change a thing. Unless players massively will stop paying for this game but im not sure if its going to happen as we've seen already 100k zen on ad exchange so it means someone IS paying.

I do agree with most of the points you are making - but I agree with them as a fellow idealistic player.
    I dont have a personal definitive opinion how this game should look because there isnt perfect point of view we could apply to all situations.

Is this game design/ store model working for:
    -pwe and cryptic? yes.
    -f2p folks that have time to grind AD and exchange for zen to buy things from store? yes.
    -hardcore pnp players that want to roleplay? no
    -casuals that wont play too much of an endgame? yes
    -hardcore mmo open world pvp crowd? no.
    we can go on endlessly. The truth is this model works perfectly fine and it wont be changed, so just deal with it.

And my "flawed logic" is only your opinion, so stop making it sound so important like I should care slightly about it.
    You can continue attacking me, and I wont bother reading or just start sounding a bit more positive in your posts.
  • mmartine1mmartine1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As someone who has played WoW, Rift, Defiance, Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, SWTOR, TERA, Vindictus, Age of Conan, Aion, Forsaken World, and probably a couple others I just can't remember, I feel like I have a pretty good idea of what cash shop prices should be for certain things.

And the ZEN and AD prices for mounts and companions are too high. I don't mind paying for things that are of value, but I greatly dislike being overcharged. I know the devs said they're looking into this and that's great. Just adding another (hopefully) informed opinion to the mix.
  • pois0nmanpois0nman Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yup the people actually spending money on the store at these ridiculous prices and the people defending this corrupt and greedy pricing "model" do nothing but prove the point that they are people with "more money than sense".

Case in point, the game is still in Beta. It says so right on this page.

Pretty funny though, Neverwinter could put a pile of dung on their cash shop for $100 and all they would have to do is label it / convince you people it is chocolate cake, and you fools would literally eat it up.

We honestly shouldn't be letting them get away with this kind of stuff, but there is apparently more foolish people per capita when it comes to PWE games, because as long as the handful of fools keep paying these ridiculous prices they will never change!

It is like we need to setup some sort of NBC like PSA with the shooting star and be all like "The More You Know...."

What is it going to take to get these fools on the right side of the fence here?

We aren't saying the developers don't deserve to make any money for their work, but everything needs to be justifiable and reasonable. These prices aren't, nor is the amount of time it would take to grind the AD via the 24k AD / day model by playing for "Free". Opening your Wallet should at the MAXIMUM be like 4 to 8 times faster than grinding AD, not 10, 20, 50, 100 times faster like it is now depending on the item.

And shut up about the auction house already, WE ARE ALL WELL AWARE OF IT, but a BIG THANKS to all the contestants for this years "Captain Obvious" competition though!

The bottom line of that argument is that the auction house has and always will be supplemental, and should never be a requirement. Furthermore the only reason people are making such a killing on the auction house is due to all the exploiting, bad game mechanics (everything being BoE), and bad community (people rolling need on everything, even stuff they can't use so they can sell it on the AH).

And that is only the TIP of the ICEBERG! When it comes to why the auction house and in game economy are complete <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> at the moment.

Wake up people! If you don't then before you know it they will be charging AD and Zen for even more ridiculous things because they know you fools will pay it. I wouldn't put it past them to start charging AD and Zen to post on the forums and submit support tickets in game, nor would I put it past them to start charging AD and Zen to use the LFG queue system or eventually even the Foundry as well.

How would it be any different then them charging for some of the other normal, fundamental / staple MMO features and mechanics that are already on the Zen Store currently?

I'm just waiting to laugh hysterically when they add the option to pay AD and Zen to turn off the System / Admin messages about Nightmares and all that other <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> people complain about on the forums. So don't worry people you will get everything you ask for, you will just have to pay for it! :-P

This all just puts a whole new meaning to the old sayings... "A fool and his money are soon parted".... ""There's a sucker born every minute".... and "There's no such thing as a free lunch".....

GG everyone!

P.S. LOL at todays news / findings, all this exploiting, the economy is all Fed up... No roll backs or complete wipes... ah, funny stuff!

Cryptic / PWE, this is also why you don't charge real money during beta, wipe at the end of beta, and the do the launch on a clean, hopefully mostly bug-less state.

Isn't wiping after beta like MMO development 101?

P.P.S Also when you don't treat your customer's like wallets they tend to be more willing to report bugs and exploits!
  • sasheriasasheria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Due to recent "rash of AH/AD issue" I highly considering that we should move AH to gold standard. STO uses EC (Energy Credit) instead of Dilithium (same as AD for STO) and it worked out well. People are buying selling items like keys and such on AH.

AD should not be in AH.

I highly suggest that AD prices merchant should be reduce a bit. I "presume" it is high right now DUE to the fact you CAN earn more than 24k a day via AH. It is not a good method since not everyone "play the market" so to speak.

Some Quality of Life (QoL) price should be reduce a little and be sellable on AH
    Bag should be account wide (thus can command 10$) but NOT tradable.
    Crafting should be the one producing high level bag (maybe even mats from higher level instances)
    To grow old is inevitable, to grow up is optional.
    Please review my campaign and I'll return the favor.
  • zeuseason411zeuseason411 Member Posts: 107
    edited May 2013
    This may be a f2p but it's 110% p2w more.