test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

PWE's greedy zen store is ruining a great game.

Comments

• sasheriasasheria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    s3pt wrote: »
    Ah the classic "for people who don't put thought into their character" line. This is an MMO that is based on ever changing and balancing skill choices, they aren't set in stone. That argument holds no water.

usually if there is a "major" changes in skill, most MMO would give out FREE respec. But so far, there hasn't been a change in skill that I have read so far.

Now if you are talking about tweaking for "flavah of the month" that is a whole different ball game.
    To grow old is inevitable, to grow up is optional.
    Please review my campaign and I'll return the favor.
  • dagurasudagurasu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Based of ever changing skills? What are you smoking? Plan out your character and stop blaming your ignorance on the game.

You're dense if you think that throughout the lifetime of a game, where the devs have, and will again, balance/tweak classes, you can get away with the same cookie cutter build that you made on day one. And you're all the more dense, and a drag on anyone you play with, if you don't make some kind of optimizations to your character and instead do whatever it is that your derpy little heart desires.
    "my thief is smert, so I'm going to add my points into INT!".
  • nectarprimenectarprime Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    dagurasu wrote: »
    You're dense if you think that throughout the lifetime of a game, where the devs have, and will again, balance/tweak classes, you can get away with the same cookie cutter build that you made on day one. And you're all the more dense, and a drag on anyone you play with, if you don't make some kind of optimizations to your character and instead do whatever it is that your derpy little heart desires.
    And you think after major skill changes that a respec won't be given to players? Thanks for the insults by the way, did I hurt your feelings somehow? Is this your first MMO?
  • ageoffan123ageoffan123 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 36
    edited May 2013
    mtgsus wrote: »
    So bugs and everything aside, I just cannot get over how greedy the zen store model is. I love the combat, races, questing, ect. It's just no matter how much fun I seem to have, I think about how bad the end-game is and how absurdly greedy PWE is, and I just lose all interest in this game. Unless they COMPLETELY overhaul the zen store, I see no future at all for this game, which is a shame. Hopefully Cryptic and other companys learn from this mistake. Gamers can smell bull-**** from a mile away, and their store just reeks of it.

I really, REALLY wish the store and end-game were better. I had such high hopes for this game, being both a D&D fan and a fan of MMOs. The kicker is, I would of easily dropped hundreds of dollars on this game if they werent so blatantly greedy, and I know I'm not alone.

TL;DR: PWE ruined an otherwise awesome game with their greed. Hopefully future MMOs learn from this.

Son, are you suggesting this is pay to win? If you are, then boy are you slow in the head. I know what a p2w mmo looks like, this one is far from it. You do not need to use the zen store at all, it will not hurt you one bit. Tell me one item you can get from the zen store which you can either not buy on the ah, or find an equivalent in the open world?
  • dagurasudagurasu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    And you think after major skill changes that a respec won't be given to players? Thanks for the insults by the way, did I hurt your feelings somehow? Is this your first MMO?

PWE is running the show. I 100% expect that you would never get a skill reset for free, even after major changes to a class, barring MAYBE the introduction of new paragon paths. You're downright naive if you think otherwise with this company.
  • kilo418kilo418 Member Posts: 823 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    PWE is running the show. I 100% expect that you would never get a skill reset for free, even after major changes to a class, barring MAYBE the introduction of new paragon paths. You're downright naive if you think otherwise with this company.

You do realize they offer free respec in their other games when major changes happen, right?
  • back2workback2work Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    And is a completely different type of game.

action-fantasy mmo that free and relies on microtransactions to support the game. nope... no similarities.....
  • sasheriasasheria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013

STO has free respec when major skill changes.
    edited May 2013
    back2work wrote: »
    action-fantasy mmo that free and relies on microtransactions to support the game. nope... no similarities.....

Does Path of Exile offer in game currency to be change to cash shop currency like AD to Zen? and vice versa?
    usually many F2P is one way path. You buy cash shop currecncy to buy stuff BUT you can't earn in-game currency and change to cash currency. PWE allows this.
  • spyke2009spyke2009 Member Posts: 674 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

Given their past actions, they have given out free respecs at intervals or with changes. However the real issue here is that you rose to a terrible argument, and made someone completely out of line, look right.

He started off with sweeping generalizations and called everyone ignorant and implied they'd have to be on drugs to have an opinion that differed from his own... he verbally face planted. All you had to do, was step over him while chuckling to yourself.
  • chintaechintae Member Posts: 110 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I would hardly call it a staple. For people who don't put any thought into their character, I guess it is.

I'm not against or for lowering prices. I'm not the one who has to weigh the cost against the product this company is marketing. There is nothing in the cash shop that is necessary for play.

I suggest you learn basic reading comprehension.

For.Those.Who.Don't.Put.Thought.Into.Their.Character.

Wow, do I ever hate people like you.

Why SHOULD I have to spend hours and hours perusing the forums to find SOMEONE ELSES build and what ever little ability does, all the BROKEN stuff and all the stuff that will probably get fixed all too soon just to plug SOMEONE ELSES build and call it good?

Where is teh discovery? The exploration, the THINKING OUTSIDE THE BOX, the visionary and the trials and misfortune?

That's right, locked behind a $6 dollar respec to DISCOURAGE people from finding viable alternatives and new paths and trials to explore. People can't experiment AND THEY SHOULD BE ENCOURAGED TOO! They shouldn't have the same build as 800,00 other rogues out there because 'it's the most viable'. They should be encouraged to see what other paths are available.

Locking respecs behind a $6 barrier prohibits this and DEVs will not get a chance to see/find and game breaking combos that would completely distort the 'intent' of the skill for the class. Until someone DOES do it and 700k people flock to this new build, and then they 'FIX' it and force people to once again spend $6 to respec.

This is not a good business practice.
  • lollielollie Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sasheria wrote: »
    Does Path of Exile offer in game currency to be change to cash shop currency like AD to Zen? and vice versa?
    usually many F2P is one way path. You buy cash shop currecncy to buy stuff BUT you can't earn in-game currency and change to cash currency. PWE allows this.

Path of Exile doesn't have p2w mechanics like Neverwinter does, so you don't need to buy cash shop items. PoE is a true f2p game.
    edited May 2013
    lollie wrote: »
    Path of Exile doesn't have p2w mechanics like Neverwinter does, so you don't need to buy cash shop items. PoE is a true f2p game.

remember that "pay to win" mechanic is the AH which is happening due to BoE items.
    There is no Pay to win in the cash shop like Path to exile where you can spend $1000 to have your own unique item in the game.

To me this could be "pay to win"
    https://www.pathofexile.com/shop/category/custom-content#
    edited May 2013
    There is no Pay to win in the cash shop like Path to exile where you can spend $1000 to have your own unique item in the game.

Which you don't need. PoE cash items is like buying a pretty dress that glows - their cash shop items give you no power at all, they're just art and glowy effects. Unlike here where you need to buy bags, mounts, pets, respecs, and later the health stones, wards for enchants at 1% chance to fuse or go BOOM, and rez scrolls.

Neverwinter is p2w.
  • moxieusmoxieus Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    came here to say the exact same thing. At every turn there is an Opportunity to pay, it really takes the fun out of it. I would spend money on this game, but the shop is too in your face. It takes all the enjoyment out of it. I am losing interest before I have really gotten into the game. I mean, 40 quid for an epic mount is just silly
    edited May 2013
    lollie wrote: »
    Which you don't need. Unlike here where you need to buy bags, mounts, pets, respecs, and later the health stones, wards for enchants at 1% chance to fuse or go BOOM, and rez scrolls.

Neverwinter is p2w.

you can buy any of those when you grind. that is how I look at it. If this game was Sub base, these items would just be high cost that players would have to grind gold (more than likely cost 1000g or something insane so it won't be abuse) and people will complain the prices are too high.

In PWE games, you can grind and earn every single item without paying a cent. It can be done. Someone even post a method using profession (so you can do it even NOT in the game and using the gateway) to "grind" AD for your main character daily and buy ZEN from player who need AD. and BAM! you can buy all features without spending a dime.

It is just grinding a different method with some value behind it.
    edited May 2013
    remember that "pay to win" mechanic is the AH which is happening due to BoE items.

To me this could be "pay to win"
    https://www.pathofexile.com/shop/category/custom-content#

You yourself, are not the only person that can use said item, and they work with you to make sure that it's reasonable and not completely broken as heck.

Then again, given the directions of the PoE developers currently, I've little to no faith in them. That however doesn't mean their monetization is bad as really, it's such a small aspect to the game and at no point do I feel like I'm being LED to their cash shops, and while respeccing takes time it's not something I need cash or it's equivalent in online currency for.
    edited May 2013
    In PWE games, you can grind and earn every single item without paying a cent. It can be done.

It can be, if your idea of playing a game is like grinding away your life working in a sweatshop making rich people designer sneakers.

I would rather go play a nice subscription game where all the content is given to me, and when I drop an extra $200 I have everything I need and don't feel I would have to drop another $2000 to boost up the rest of my alts and whatnot.

This game isn't worth the investment. I can find much more rewarding games than this.
  • pizzarazzipizzarazzi Banned Users Posts: 46
    edited May 2013
    somebody is paying for the zen

somebody is paying for stuff you buy with ad

you <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>
  • archaicsealarchaicseal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Also PWE allow players to GRIND (granted it may take a while or get luck in AH/drops) and convert TO ZEN and buy stuff.

I don't see many other F2P games does this.

Take AWHILE? Have you ever tried calculating out what "awhile" comes out to? Because if you had you would realize how insane it is. And then if you turn around and look at the price of things in the zen store because grinding isnt an option, you realize how the insane the prices on things are. I am not talking about mounts or dyes here either. Just bags and wardstones are BS on pricing.

In the end, EVERYONE must pay for those things, because grinding for them is ridiculously impossible to accomplish before the next expansion comes out. The game is not free to play, it only pretends to be free to play. Now, you want to spend droves of cash on it, go ahead... I would, but I have already learned my lesson about Cryptic/PWE games in the past and I know what their production pattern is. So yeah, enjoy the neat combat and time killing it provides until your next favorite MMO comes out and move on.
    edited May 2013
    So yeah, enjoy the neat combat and time killing it provides until your next favorite MMO comes out and move on.

This is the only sane way to play this game, for me it's a timekiller between when the next good sub game comes out (soon I hope, looking at two right now - both of which should release this year).
    edited May 2013
    spyke2009 wrote: »
    You yourself, are not the only person that can use said item, and they work with you to make sure that it's reasonable and not completely broken as heck.

Then again, given the directions of the PoE developers currently, I've little to no faith in them. That however doesn't mean their monetization is bad as really, it's such a small aspect to the game and at no point do I feel like I'm being LED to their cash shops, and while respeccing takes time it's not something I need cash or it's equivalent in online currency for.

true. the thing is that people is NOT seeing (or refuse to see) that you can grind for your respec, you can grind for your extra character slot. I see it like vanilla WoW where you have to grind a boat load of money (which for me took a long time to get that 100g) to get my skill and then buying a mount. It took me about a year of playing (I am casual player) to get my flying mount skill.

PWE DOES give you an option to "pay to grind less" which I guess some people think it is same as "pay to win" but I don't think it is.

Now for PvP and to stay competitive, I can see why would someone need to respec and tweak. Remember, repect power NEED Zen (6$) but respect your paragon's path is only AD (which can be grind in game at 24k a day)

Why spend all your power at once? so far I'm leveling just fine with 1 power point in each area. I am earning AD and save up for my respec when I hit 60.
  • only1hero1only1hero1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Why does a Zen market mess up a F2P game when you can't buy wep, armor, or anything to power lvl? I think it's just another thing to whine about.
    edited May 2013
    when I hit 60.

Ehhh, you haven't even hit L60. This explains why you have no idea what's coming.
  • moxieusmoxieus Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    only1hero1 wrote: »
    Why does a Zen market mess up a F2P game when you can't buy wep, armor, or anything to power lvl? I think it's just another thing to whine about.

Do you think that that the micro payments being shoved down your throat are going to stop at level cap? :/
    edited May 2013
    you can buy any of those when you grind. that is how I look at it. If this game was Sub base, these items would just be high cost that players would have to grind gold (more than likely cost 1000g or something insane so it won't be abuse) and people will complain the prices are too high.

In PWE games, you can grind and earn every single item without paying a cent. It can be done. Someone even post a method using profession (so you can do it even NOT in the game and using the gateway) to "grind" AD for your main character daily and buy ZEN from player who need AD. and BAM! you can buy all features without spending a dime.

It is just grinding a different method with some value behind it.

So you can earn stuff in the game, by not playing the game and instead treating it like farmville where you log in via your phone, and push the skinner box buttons.

Holy moley, that sounds like fu..............

ridiculously bad and not fun at all.... D:

Ya know another game with a lot of grind in it? Guild Wars 2, you can gussy it up, you can argue that it's "not so bad" but ultimately most folks left the game because there was a grind wall and not a lot of real content to keep them amused. Grinding is bad. Grinding is not fun. The minute you say "grind" you are no longer talking about having fun, you're talking about tedium.

When a game is well designed, there is no visible grind, I mean it's there but you're too busy having fun to even notice it. And the RNG monster doesn't pop up to scream "hahaha" every couple of seconds. Because if it does, that means that something has gone wrong in the design and developers are using repetition and skinner box methods, to make up for their lack of effort.

So when someone tells me that I can "grind" the items, you've instantly said "you won't enjoy it unless you buy the stuff instead" and "they designed it like this because they're scummy and/or lazy"

You make the case for those against the monetization for them. But I do applaud you for even suggesting that you can succeed in a game by literally NOT logging into it and playing it, and thinking that is a "positive" that's a whole NEW level of silly.
    edited May 2013
    Take AWHILE? Have you ever tried calculating out what "awhile" comes out to? Because if you had you would realize how insane it is. And then if you turn around and look at the price of things in the zen store because grinding isnt an option, you realize how the insane the prices on things are. I am not talking about mounts or dyes here either. Just bags and wardstones are BS on pricing.

In the end, EVERYONE must pay for those things, because grinding for them is ridiculously impossible to accomplish before the next expansion comes out. The game is not free to play, it only pretends to be free to play. Now, you want to spend droves of cash on it, go ahead... I would, but I have already learned my lesson about Cryptic/PWE games in the past and I know what their production pattern is. So yeah, enjoy the neat combat and time killing it provides until your next favorite MMO comes out and move on.

yea.. lets say you need 10080000 which at current AD/Zen is 375 that is 26880zen.

10m at rate of 24k a day = 420 days
    with 2 characters (1 main 1 mule ) = 210 days (with profession and summons)
    with 3 characters (1 main 2 mule ) = 140 days
    with 4 characters 105 days
    with 10 characters = 42 days

note: you can get some Zen early and buy more character slot. level upto 10 and start grinding AD via Gateway (don't use login/logout in game that takes too long) and that is legit way without even selling a thing in AH

I can do a lot with 28k of Zen.

And that is a bit extreme. Of course you could get a little Zen and just play the market (buy zen low AD and sell them back for high AD and buy them back etc etc.) I did this in STO and made money over a course of the month.

Edit: Respec is $6 = 600z
    current market is 375 * 600 = 225000 AD
    that is 10 days of collection with 1 character (225000/24000 = 9.375 round up 10 days)

edit again: how many time are you planning to respec in a character's lifetime (assuming there is no major skill changes and PWE won't give out free respec) STO when there is a major skill changes, everyone got a FREE respec.

I use to remember back in the days when respec wasn't even an option. It is convenience without having to level up another character, but I learn early to plan, but that is how I play.
    edited May 2013
    spyke2009 wrote: »
    So you can earn stuff in the game, by not playing the game and instead treating it like farmville where you log in via your phone, and push the skinner box buttons.

Holy moley, that sounds like fu..............

ridiculously bad and not fun at all.... D:

Ya know another game with a lot of grind in it? Guild Wars 2, you can gussy it up, you can argue that it's "not so bad" but ultimately most folks left the game because there was a grind wall and not a lot of real content to keep them amused. Grinding is bad. Grinding is not fun. The minute you say "grind" you are no longer talking about having fun, you're talking about tedium.

When a game is well designed, there is no visible grind, I mean it's there but you're too busy having fun to even notice it. And the RNG monster doesn't pop up to scream "hahaha" every couple of seconds. Because if it does, that means that something has gone wrong in the design and developers are using repetition and skinner box methods, to make up for their lack of effort.

So when someone tells me that I can "grind" the items, you've instantly said "you won't enjoy it unless you buy the stuff instead" and "they designed it like this because they're scummy and/or lazy"

You make the case for those against the monetization for them. But I do applaud you for even suggesting that you can succeed in a game by literally NOT logging into it and playing it, and thinking that is a "positive" that's a whole NEW level of silly.

Yea to some Grinding is NOT fun. That is why I call it "Pay to Grind less" to some grinding IS fun.

I have some guild mate who bought all the ships (5000z each bundle) without spending a single penny!! and conversion rate is 8k a day.

There are a lot of ship bundles in STO.

some people do love the grind, some don't. The difference in STO is that you can't earn Dilithium (which is same as AD) via auction house which you can in NWN. So you could earn AD faster than Dil in NWN.
    edited May 2013
    true. the thing is that people is NOT seeing (or refuse to see) that you can grind for your respec, you can grind for your extra character slot. I see it like vanilla WoW where you have to grind a boat load of money (which for me took a long time to get that 100g) to get my skill and then buying a mount. It took me about a year of playing (I am casual player) to get my flying mount skill.

PWE DOES give you an option to "pay to grind less" which I guess some people think it is same as "pay to win" but I don't think it is.

Now for PvP and to stay competitive, I can see why would someone need to respec and tweak. Remember, repect power NEED Zen (6$) but respect your paragon's path is only AD (which can be grind in game at 24k a day)

Why spend all your power at once? so far I'm leveling just fine with 1 power point in each area. I am earning AD and save up for my respec when I hit 60.

Well, this deserves a lot more attention as it is far more coherent.

given how long it would take for you to grind an extra character slot, and the fact that would have to factor in a lot more of this silly "Neverwinter: auctioneer" mentality, or a boat load of patience, I simply just boil it down to the fact, that in my opinion, they're just monetizing the WRONG things. And overcharging for what they can be argued to be right about monetizing.

To compare an MMO, to another, but only in the sense that we compare it to how it was several YEARS ago, is to me... highly irrational. Progression in game development should move FORWARD, there's always room for back-steps mind you, but you should never look at a games flaws which are similar to a game on release several years back of the same genre, if it was a mistake the first time, why is it ok for another game to be released with the SAME MISTAKE.

"Did I ever tell you, the definition of insanity..." -Vaas

I just don't see, why some folks feel it's ok for a game to be designed, with the same massively inherent flaws of another game, years after said game has dealt with the problems in a pragmatic way.
    edited May 2013
    Yea to some Grinding is NOT fun. That is why I call it "Pay to Grind less" to some grinding IS fun.

I have some guild mate who bought all the ships (5000z each bundle) without spending a single penny!! and conversion rate is 8k a day.

There are a lot of ship bundles in STO.

some people do love the grind, some don't. The difference in STO is that you can't earn Dilithium (which is same as AD) via auction house which you can in NWN. So you could earn AD faster than Dil in NWN.

What you're describing is not a gamer, you're describing a GAMBLER now.

As I stated, grind is fine to me, so long as it's not tedious and repetitive or lengthy to the point of stupidity. Things are allowed to take some time and repeating content sometimes should be rewarding but... Because they've made grinding the antithesis to paying, they're clearly forced to make the former FAR FAR FAR more annoying than the latter, and the result is some of the most horrendous content I've had the misfortune to see, hacked up and surgically grafted onto an otherwise great game, that I'd be happy to spend money in for skins or whatnot.

This game is NOT pay to win. this game is just guilty of completely garbage monetization that goes AGAINST it.

You can't pay to win, but you can still buy power and you're given a terribly lop sided choice in how you obtain it, you can either be bored to death grinding and gambling on the volatile market, flipping items like burgers. or you can reach into your wallet and pay the silly prices to not be bored...

It's a catch 22... and one that is just not optimal.

What do you think folks will choose? cos if you can't immediately tell the best possible outcome for everyone is to simply not play that choice game and instead take their funds elsewhere and use this game as a free stepping stone to better things, then you need to rethink the whole dilemma.