test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

PWE's greedy zen store is ruining a great game.

Comments

• runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think overall the zen store prices are fine. Just need tweaking on some things. There are a few minor things about the zen store that I don't like. Needs a better preview of mounts, dyes should be single use on a slot not item, and companions should be per account instead of single character. (All just my opinion of course.) But not really the prices themselves.

I'm more upset at the AD cost of things in game than the Zen cost. $30-$40 gets you a rank 3 mount, the fastest, for all your characters. But to upgrade one in game takes $80 or so worth of AD for a single mount.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • callmedeuxcallmedeux Member Posts: 182 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Reading through the QQ most of you can't be lvl 60.

I made 1.4mil today in profit (AD) from drops.

Nothing including the 3 mil swash piece I jsut got that I need or future use that im not selling.

So all in all.. l2p, just play the game at your own pace. Stop trying to be the best. Just play.
  • toomuchstufftoomuchstuff Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I just dont understand why you have to pay 600 Zen to re-do powers. Just make it cost a ton of astral diamonds like the Feats tree imo. The rest could stay as is for all i care.
  • callmedeuxcallmedeux Member Posts: 182 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    You can convert AD to zen using the AH..

So whats the problem
  • elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I just dont understand why you have to pay 600 Zen to re-do powers. Just make it cost a ton of astral diamonds like the Feats tree imo. The rest could stay as is for all i care.

300k AD, ok?

Done and done.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • mortavius1mortavius1 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think that much of the stuff is a bit overpriced. Thirty bucks for a purple pet? That's a bit too steep. Respecs six bucks, welp, I'm only gonna do that once per character then. There were a lot of things I would have bought right off the bat (and multiple times too, for each character) but instead, simply because of the expensive nature of these things, I may (at most) buy only the barest of essentials. I don't need extra bags, vanity items, etc, especially if these things take large chunks of cash during a time when my local economy in RL is in shambles and I am struggling to make it.

The largest organism on earth (the blue whale) is sustained by feeding on massive quantities of some of the smallest organisms in the sea (Krill Shrimp); it feeds on massive amounts. Following that logic, it should hold that if you have a large number of smaller transactions, you should be able to grow larger. In fact, that is the EXACT model that many large corporations use... sell cheap, sell a lot, secure market-share. For what I've seen the prices at in the Zen market, I've decided that the play value I would get by purchasing does not justify the cost of purchase in most cases.... which is sad, because if much of that were half the price, I would be more than willing to buy, since I not only have to purchase for myself (on multiple toons) but also for my wife.

Really, you guys should go back and review how you came up with those prices, and just what part of the player population you are targeting. If you're attempting a wide appeal, during an economic downturn, I suggest a pricing adjustment. If you want to flip your finger to those of us struggling during hard times (when what paltry sum we can scrape up goes for entertainment), then you are free to do so... just don't be surprised at lower than expected sales.
  • eversummernightseversummernights Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Admin Response from Dezstravus: Thanks for the feedback! We're actively monitoring the feedback on this, so please keep posting your comments! As users in the thread have started, it's our continual goal to make all Zen Market items either optional (i.e. cosmetic/convenience), or attainable through utilizing the Astral Diamond exchange. Overall, Neverwinter is designed to be 100% Free to Play, meaning that we want you to be able to enjoy the entire core experience and have a ton of fun without paying a dime. Please continue to let us know how close we are to achieving this goal!

The largest threat to what you're saying here are the high-end enchants. They are mandatory for competitiveness and not really attainable through free play. My suggestion would be to address that from two fronts; first by rising the rates of successful combines on them, and second, by lowering the costs to purshase them. Capping the strength of enchants in PvP is another avenue.

A much more minor, but still annoying deal is the relatively high cost of respecs. Theyre relatively cheap in the grand scheme of things, but this is a feature people are used to having for "free", plus its hard to build a perfect character on your first try. Give everyone a single free respec at 60 and you'll earn alot of goodwill.
  • toomuchstufftoomuchstuff Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    elessym wrote: »
    300k AD, ok?

Done and done.

Sure, its better then wasting anyone's money, someone elses included, every time you want to re-do powers, and if you think Zen prices will stay this low as the game continues on. Well, that should make for a nice surprise for us all then. And why take more Zen off the market that could be used for other things more worth while.
  • maho4200maho4200 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 526 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    dezstravus wrote: »
    Overall, Neverwinter is designed to be 100% Free to Play, meaning that we want you to be able to enjoy the entire core experience and have a ton of fun without paying a dime. Please continue to let us know how close we are to achieving this goal!
    Not remotely close.

Stuff like respeccing shouldn't cost real money, it's ok char slots costs money.
    Neverwinter Online Open Beta is an ongoing success
  • watever2watever2 Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Paying real money to get a random item (Nightmare Lockboxes) is gambling and is verging on p2w. But one thing nobody seems to be mentioning is that Cryptic say the game has not been released and that it is an open Beta, so they are excepting money from people for a game that hasn't actually been released yet...... Is that legal?
    I spent 10 levels worth of AD just to remove an enchantment, really? The in game currency is purposefully made next to useless so you spend more REAL money. I think I would have preferred to pay for the game than have to deal with "Salesman" type nonsense.
  • darkwingz88darkwingz88 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ive already spent 180$ on this game.
    15$ came out of my pocket.
    165$ from converting AD to ZEN.
    (and no, no exploits, im a rogue, and just playing smart with drops I get from t1/t2 instances + Ive pretty much rushed, and sold everything before prices dropped. Also 80k AD for 5g horses week ago)

Its really, really easy to get everything if you arent dirty casual.

We would have very big problem IF there werent people selling zen. Then yeah I would be pretty much screwed as well. But as long as people are buying 50$ zen packages and put it on the sale - we are fine.
  • isopointisopoint Member Posts: 193 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Mount costs are completely out of whack. People are selling the nightmare mount cheaper then the training manual. Then you consider the $60 Guardian pack is pretty decent, but only a limited time? The mounts create an imbalance in pvp and it's not fun there. Need to lower the training cost and the store cost because if you can simply buy the best mount then it creates an imbalance in general.

Bags and bank space costs are high considering it's per character also considering the amount of drops. Consider zone drop currencies be in a separate tab or something.

Companions are also high for being per character and also the fact that the game is balanced around it. How much would tomes cost if introduced? Another unfun issue.

Respecs. Can't even respec attributes. Feat AD cost is ridiculous and powers costing money. Give us spec slots we can switch and you can charge for that, but not simply respeccing.

Enchantments. I guess the highest rank is not considered core?

The rate of AD acquisition in game is nowhere near reasonable to cover some of these basics. You might as well just make the game b2p with the $60 Guardian's pack that covers these basics instead of clamoring about f2p. Why are you so fixated on f2p when clearly you rig the game such to be as annoying as possible if you don't pay? You even have a quest that leads people to the zen store.
  • sejo77sejo77 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Examples for the "high priced" shop items like extra mounts or extra bags are just false.(even the respec token)
    It would be credible if your character couldn't move anywhere without the shop mounts or there would be no space to place your stuff.
    BUT that isn't the case.You can go anywhere you want,you even get free bags and mount/s, companions,you can even buy ZEN for ingame currency,you can get EVERYTHING and this is still not enough?? Oh they are not so "cool" or it takes time to get them?
    Well guess what, things are not working that way.
    I think some people need to lower their ego and expectation and be more generous what you got for FREE.(besides i'm pretty fine all the stuff what i got,i'm pretty fine with my Appaloosa free mount,my two free bags which is enough to store anything and my free Cleric companion is doing her job perfectly)
    By the way,PWE is not your parents and they are not a charity organization.You can't stand in front of them and cry for another present because the sports car you got for christmas is not enough for you and you want a spaceship,like a spoiled brat.You guys throw a tantrum because you can't get the extra stuff for free or cheaper as you imagined?
    Belive me, i would be the first one who stand behind the cause if i would see anything in the shop which makes it P2W or unfair but 'till it's not happening i think everyone needs to chill down.Control your insatiability and try to focus what you have and NOT what others have, in the meantime try to enjoy the game with your friends or make friends :).Oh yes and don't give a f*** when you run into d****es just take a deep breath and move on lol :P.
    That's all thx for listening.
    edited May 2013
    isopoint wrote: »
    Mount costs are completely out of whack. People are selling the nightmare mount cheaper then the training manual. Then you consider the $60 Guardian pack is pretty decent, but only a limited time? The mounts create an imbalance in pvp and it's not fun there. Need to lower the training cost and the store cost because if you can simply buy the best mount then it creates an imbalance in general.

Bags and bank space costs are high considering it's per character also considering the amount of drops. Consider zone drop currencies be in a separate tab or something.

Companions are also high for being per character and also the fact that the game is balanced around it. How much would tomes cost if introduced? Another unfun issue.

Respecs. Can't even respec attributes. Feat AD cost is ridiculous and powers costing money. Give us spec slots we can switch and you can charge for that, but not simply respeccing.

Enchantments. I guess the highest rank is not considered core?

The rate of AD acquisition in game is nowhere near reasonable to cover some of these basics. You might as well just make the game b2p with the $60 Guardian's pack that covers these basics instead of clamoring about f2p. Why are you so fixated on f2p when clearly you rig the game such to be as annoying as possible if you don't pay? You even have a quest that leads people to the zen store.

Account wide mount is just 1.2mil AD - thats one good drop from dungeon delve chest or around 12 okayish.
    Lets say you can do dungeon delves twice during event, once a day. Thats 6 days to get 110% account wide mount.
    Lets say you spend some actual time into game, and make alts for leadership, and do invoke on few alts. 100k is very possible in 2 days without doing any dailies. Just dropping by every few hours to change crafting tasks.

This is mmo, if you expected relaxes singleplayer gameplay that handles you over everything when you want it - you choose badly game to play.

I dont know dudes but i've played wow during tbc, so dont tell me about grind as gathering 5000gold for mount training could take you around week or more of just plain grinding for cash. Im not even going to talk about vanilla.

Yes everything is high priced but there are enough dudes to sell zen here so we can easily buy it by just playing.
    edited May 2013
    I dont know dudes but i've played wow during tbc, so dont tell me about grind as gathering 5000gold for mount training could take you around week or more of just plain grinding for cash. Im not even going to talk about vanilla.

As far as the mounts goes, its not about the grinding. Not at all. Its just crazy. You said yourself that you can buy an account wide mount for 1.2 million AD. Then why does it cost almost 3 million AD to upgrade a single characters mount? The training for mounts shouldn't be anywhere near as high as it is.
    edited May 2013
    runebane wrote: »
    As far as the mounts goes, its not about the grinding. Not at all. Its just crazy. You said yourself that you can buy an account wide mount for 1.2 million AD. Then why does it cost almost 3 million AD to upgrade a single characters mount? The training for mounts shouldn't be anywhere near as high as it is.

On that I completely agree but im not part of the design team so I have no clue - maybe they want later to drop some unique 1% very rare mounts from instances that are green and you can upgrade them to purple?

But yeah there is a lot of incosistent economics. take for example wondrous bazaar and buying enchantments there - 10k for rank2. And they drop like a candy from 20level mobs.
    edited May 2013
    Part of the reason I take issues with mounts in this game is because you can straight up buy it and the speed isn't level restricted as in WoW. The epic flyer was an absolute luxury and you can't fly in pvp so no imbalance there. It did take some time in vanilla, but not too horrible from my experience. Vanilla is moot anyways because even epic ground mounts are completely trivial now.

Another thing is that mounts have different damage tolerance in this game making it more imbalanced.

Either way $40 for a mount seems high even if the game is free.
  • jarfarujarfaru Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ironzerg79 wrote: »
    So yeah, you get everything you LOVE for FREE, and then complain that the perks cost money.

I'm not sure how this is greed?

I'm not playing the game in hopes of buying stuff from the Zen stores. I'm playing the game to have fun. I'm not sure how the two are related. You don't even have to touch the Zen store to have a good time in Neverwinter.
    I totally agree with this. These kinds of post are silly. You get to play a great game for free. Buying from the Zen store is not something anyone has to do. I fully understand this is the way PWE makes its money to support this and all the other games they have going. Have you ever clicked on that games pull down tab on the front page? Thats alot of games to keep running and all but two are free to play.
    edited May 2013
    You guys honestly think $40 for a mount and $30 for a companion per character is not expensive? It's not about costing money. It's about it being overpriced.

Is that really hard to understand? Do you know what overpriced means?
  • justsomewhiteguyjustsomewhiteguy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    dezstravus wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback! We're actively monitoring the feedback on this, so please keep posting your comments! As users in the thread have started, it's our continual goal to make all Zen Market items either optional (i.e. cosmetic/convenience), or attainable through utilizing the Astral Diamond exchange. Overall, Neverwinter is designed to be 100% Free to Play, meaning that we want you to be able to enjoy the entire core experience and have a ton of fun without paying a dime. Please continue to let us know how close we are to achieving this goal!

If this were a high priority for you then you would remove the ridiculous aspect in which you have to pay $10 for more bags. Every MMO has a need for more bag space and the fact that we have to pull out our wallet and give you $10 per bag is outrageous. It's literally one of the biggest issues I have with this game. That and the fact that obtaining a 110% mount with AD is also ridiculous without playing the AH.

I really really enjoy the game, as do others, but this is killing it for me big time. Maybe as a reward for 60 you get a stock 110% mount?
    edited May 2013
    isopoint wrote: »
    You guys honestly think $40 for a mount and $30 for a companion per character is not expensive? It's not about costing money. It's about it being overpriced.

$40 for a mount is fine. Though someone told me yesterday there was even one for $30. I've paid $25-$30 for mounts in other games where you just got one mount. So no, I don't think $40 for a mount that all my characters get is overpriced.

I've already said elsewhere that I wish the companions worked in a similar fashion. If they did i would buy some. Heck, I'd buy them at $30 if they just made it so that they didn't bind to the character. That way I could trade them to whatever character I am deciding to level.
  • lichlamentlichlament Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Everquest Bag : $25
    Everquest Mount : $25+

Neverwinter Bag : $10
    Neverwinter Mount : $30+

Seems fair to me, honestly, I don't see the issue unless your just that broke IRL, in which case you shouldn't be playing this game, you should be looking for a job.
  • spyke2009spyke2009 Member Posts: 674 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Account wide mount is just 1.2mil AD - thats one good drop from dungeon delve chest or around 12 okayish.
    Lets say you can do dungeon delves twice during event, once a day. Thats 6 days to get 110% account wide mount.
    Lets say you spend some actual time into game, and make alts for leadership, and do invoke on few alts. 100k is very possible in 2 days without doing any dailies. Just dropping by every few hours to change crafting tasks.

This is mmo, if you expected relaxes singleplayer gameplay that handles you over everything when you want it - you choose badly game to play.

Yes everything is high priced but there are enough dudes to sell zen here so we can easily buy it by just playing.

face-palmed at every bold part of that post. I think I'd rather see you post this in your native language too, because that butchery of logic AND the English language but enough of that...

You're going by the assumption we should all focus on the AH, a game element that to be honest, has over the past few years has become so ridiculously important in MMORPG games and clearly by design that it's becoming irritating, we all know how many people turn their entire game experience in wow into pseudo auction house botting, or just real botting of it. So for those of us who don't want to play Neverwinter tycoon: 2013? That "just" 1.2 million AD is at the moment at least, not something you can easily throw around and make out it's a minor figure.

You then go on to throw out situational stuff which assumes you're level 60 and the market is not flooded with the items you're referring to. Then you make out this is all mandatory in terms of design in an MMO (false)

Then you again make that mistake of referring to an mmo made in 2004... to justify something made in 2013... as if design ideals haven't changed at all.
  • ozcolloozcollo Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I ended up trying this game in between phases for the XIV ARR beta. Wasn't expecting much but I found a really enjoyable game, much better than I had anticipated! The combat was a lot of fun, the idea behind the foundry was wonderful, and I really enjoyed the style of the game. I thought I might ditch XIV altogether... until I hit 60 and started understanding this games fundamental problems.

The Zen store never bothered me as I was leveling. The pricing was a bit whacky, but I still paid for what I thought was a quality product. Once I learned that you could buy Zen with AD and vice versa and then noticing how intertwined this games actual economy was with real money, I was turned off immediately. I appreciate the fact I can buy items from the store with AD, however, Buying Zen to sell then buying actual endgame equipment reeks of Pay to Win. If they don't find a way to fix this I won't remain a customer.

It's sad, really, I think the game itself has a ton of potential, but the way it's currently set up makes it appear the developers lacked foresight. I'm also worried about the consequences, or lack thereof, with the rampant bug abuse that has pretty much wrecked an already broken economy. This worry may be baseless as I've not played for a few days, but it's still worrisome.
  • fongadorfongador Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 264 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I could spend money in this game but I won't unless they get rid of the ridiculous daily equivalents to earn AD. Until they evaluate that this game is just another with potential that will never live up to what it could be. I have no desire to repeat the same things over and over and over again just to gain some measly AD.

They can change it or not get any money from me. Their call. I have no problem with spending some cash on piece meals. But I'm not going to play the **** market Zen to AD market to compete. I'm down with buying separate items to compete but not that nonsense. So if they continue this route where you have to complete events "x" amount of times just to get a paltry amount of AD that is already limited within itself I'm out. I don't mind spending some cash for "tangible items" but this BS of buying Zen to essentially buy AD is absolutely ridiculous far as I'm concerned.

Their current cash shop methodology is doing nothing but thwarting a great game all things considered. This may be one of the first cases of a good game being done in by greed. I don't think anyone assumes the game should be free but their current cash shop and especially AD venue is absolutely ridiculous. I would much rather pay the norm of $15 a month than deal with this silliness. As I have done in many other mmos.

What am I asking for?

1. Get rid of the multiple completions for refined AD for god's sake. It is already limited to 24k a day. Besides not being a wise sales pitch you're pounding your own content into the ground by this plan and ensuring many won't bother wanting to make alts

2. Evaluate the cash shop. Some things make sense. Much as some may balk I get the amount for a respec but some others such as mount costs are virtually insane. You may want to even consider some account wide deals. Assuming the price for it isn't ridiculous.

You have a good game here but some things from a revenue standpoint are being handled about as wrong as they could be. Which is a shame because overall the customers and employees of said company will eventually fell the effect of it.

...and considering the quality of the initial product it doesn't have to be this way.
    edited May 2013
    spyke2009 wrote: »
    face-palmed at every bold part of that post. I think I'd rather see you post this in your native language too, because that butchery of logic AND the English language but enough of that...

You're going by the assumption we should all focus on the AH, a game element that to be honest, has over the past few years has become so ridiculously important in MMORPG games and clearly by design that it's becoming irritating, we all know how many people turn their entire game experience in wow into pseudo auction house botting, or just real botting of it. So for those of us who don't want to play Neverwinter tycoon: 2013? That "just" 1.2 million AD is at the moment at least, not something you can easily throw around and make out it's a minor figure.

You then go on to throw out situational stuff which assumes you're level 60 and the market is not flooded with the items you're referring to. Then you make out this is all mandatory in terms of design in an MMO (false)

Then you again make that mistake of referring to an mmo made in 2004... to justify something made in 2013... as if design ideals haven't changed at all.

I just stopped reading after first paragraph of your post.
    If you need to go as low as to point out someones mistakes with english language on international forum then cool story bro.

I hope you enjoy your deep mastery of one language.

Enjoy being poor in mmo while I roll over currency without much of an effort.
  • spyke2009spyke2009 Member Posts: 674 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I just stopped reading after first paragraph of your post.
    If you need to go as low as to point out someones mistakes with english language on international forum then cool story bro.

I hope you enjoy your deep mastery of one language.

Enjoy being poor in mmo while I roll over currency without much of an effort.

Your poor grasp of English is easily overlooked so I apologize about that, the logical flaws however, just really are too much, then again the chances of you actually reaching any sort of understanding and middle ground with me, is probably somewhere in the region of slim and none.

Considering you feel being "rich" in an mmo by playing the early market as a huge achievement, clearly we're on different pages when we consider what should be a priority in a "GAME"
    edited May 2013
    spyke2009 wrote: »
    Your poor grasp of English is easily overlooked so I apologize about that, the logical flaws however, just really are too much, then again the chances of you actually reaching any sort of understanding and middle ground with me, is probably somewhere in the region of slim and none.

Considering you feel being "rich" in an mmo by playing the early market as a huge achievement, clearly we're on different pages when we consider what should be a priority in a "GAME"

Im not even sure if I want to respond to anything you are writing because you are only interested in going all hostile and offensive on me right now.

But lets try. You see my logic as flawed. Thats perfectly fine since everyone percieves things differently. The thing is though - nothing is definite, and no one holds knowledge how things should be set up to be "proper".

If you dont have fun from AH, or taking advantage of market then this is clearly not game for you. Personally I dont enjoy modern fps games but im not playing them. What wonders me though is that you have idea what this game is all about yet, you see you are not target of it, but yet you insist on fixing it to your liking.

About whole "game" and "priorities" I can say only that there are titles like farmville or mafia wars considered as a games. Its definitely very wide topic and once again - you have different priorities than developers so just let it go and play something more to your taste.

Also please do keep sticking words into my mouth as Ive never said being "rich" was an "achievement" - im having great laugh right now, so please do provide more of it.

Just keep going all over me with my english, as it clearly makes you feel superior or good. Its funny :)
  • badatmathbadatmath Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Neverwinter... Diablo3 mmo.
  • varsas13varsas13 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The prices on some of the stuff should be a bit more tuned down, or throw in some rather common / not too un-common %off sales on the store.

One thing that REALLY! and I mean REALLY dissapoints me is the fact we need to spend 600 Zen to Respec our core choice power points. We can only spend 5$ minimum, right? So this means if we were to spend $ we'd have to do at least 10.

I love the fact that we're able to exchange in-game obtainable currency for the Real $ shop currency, I just feel the power point system should be set to Astral Diamonds only instead of Zen, so. so many players leveling up just putting points into what they "think" is the best choice. Only to get disappointed later on and ever more disappointed when they find out they need to pay 600 zen for a crucial part of their gaming performance