Install Arc
Options

Game needs a full Character Wipe.

Comments

• Options
    robertthebardrobertthebard Member Posts: 543 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    pzzdachu wrote: »
    How long has the game been open Robert? I only ask cause I have been here about 2 weeks now(?). That isn't a lot to lose when the game is intended to be playable or months if not years. I on't know if the game warrants a wipe or not but if it does sooner is better than later in any cases.

As far as I know, it's only been "live" for a couple of weeks. However, I am not attached enough to it yet to feel the need to start over. The people that I know in game are from other games, and we have other means to communicate. Unlike other games in this genre, it hasn't reached out and grabbed me. A wipe would be a good reason for me to just move on since, as I have indicated, this can be fixed in other ways. Despite the OP's, and others, claiming I must be cheating to disagree with them, I am totally behind banning the offenders, and have been in any thread concerning exploits that I have posted in. So while the OP, and others, can continue to fail to realize that I may just think there are other options that should be pursued, I will continue to hold out that there are other less knee jerk ways to fix it.
    Reading comprehension is essential in a medium that requires reading for communication.
  • Options
    pzzdachupzzdachu Member Posts: 398 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Good answer Robert. Thanks.
    Allow me to introduce myself, I am P'zzd Achu.
  • Options
    cordain87cordain87 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    taemekeg wrote: »
    This is the exact reason why MMORPG industry is suffering, thank you for enlightening us with your wisdom oh mighty one.

I think people like you don't get the big picture. MMORPG's are, by definition, RPG's you play with other people online. There's no rule as to how long you have to play an MMORPG and they are not meant to last forever. I played WoW for 3 years. I was a guild master and main tank of my guild. After 3 years spent on it I came to realize that the most fun I've had in the game was levelling up, doing the silly quests and hanging out in Orgrimmar with friends just having fun with jumping or making fun of NPC's. Not the endgame 25-man raiding. Not the PvP. All the gear-chasing I did took a lot of my time and money. And what did it give me in return? An orange item and a couple of purple items that nobody outside of the game cared about. And acquiring them took a lot of time, frustration and misery.

While WoW is pretty much the standard to which each MMO has to compare itself too (like it or not, it's true), it's not neccessarily a great game. It had excellent customer support, it was almost bug-free, everything was neat and tidy because of the monthly subscription. But ironically, the best part about it was the bugs or easter eggs. The silly looking lvl 1-70 gear. And people with good humor. That's what an MMO is. A game you play with people from around the world and make friends. Play the game on skype with some good friends. Then try to play it alone. The experience is totally different. If you're going solo in an MMO and want to just chase loot - then Diablo 3 is for you.

Was a long reply, but my original point is - MMO's last as long as you want them to. While there are many aspects of this game that I dislike, I don't think PW or any company for that matter has any obligation to make their MMO content last for years, and years, and years...
  • Options
    braddassbraddass Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 108
    edited May 2013
    Blanket statements are bad. Blanket statements indicating that people that disagree with you are cheaters are worse. You're really going to say that, because I'm disinclined to starting over every time somebody finds and exploit and runs it into the ground that I must be taking advantage of the exploit?

I never said everyone who opposes a wipe cheated, just that everyone who did not cheat is negatively affected by the exploiters. It really is simple economics.

I have played MMOs for 13+ years. I have opposed exploiting and cheating in every game I have played. I have seen first hand the damage they can do if nothing is done to correct the effects.
    I am a Lawyer in real life, but I try to roleplay an honorable character ;)
  • Options
    lyokiralyokira Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So free players don't matter? Not sarcasm, just the impression I get from your post, and one that I have seen espoused in this thread by the OP. The fact is, anyone not actively doing end game content isn't affected at this point. Can they be? If it's left alone, maybe. But, as I pointed out previously in this thread, I can get that gear w/out ever looking at the AH, by running the content where it was dropped in the first place. If I'm running in a guild group, I don't have to worry about loot ninjas, and if I'm party lead, I only have to worry about a loot ninja once, because the first time they ninja the loot to sell, they're kicked.
    Well, I was speaking in the PoV of Perfect World there. It's the people who paid which is contributing to their bottom line, so those people are more likely to be treated better. Not saying it's right, but priorities.
  • Options
    jmerithewjmerithew Member Posts: 137 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    As far as I know, it's only been "live" for a couple of weeks. However, I am not attached enough to it yet to feel the need to start over. The people that I know in game are from other games, and we have other means to communicate. Unlike other games in this genre, it hasn't reached out and grabbed me. A wipe would be a good reason for me to just move on since, as I have indicated, this can be fixed in other ways. Despite the OP's, and others, claiming I must be cheating to disagree with them, I am totally behind banning the offenders, and have been in any thread concerning exploits that I have posted in. So while the OP, and others, can continue to fail to realize that I may just think there are other options that should be pursued, I will continue to hold out that there are other less knee jerk ways to fix it.

I'm certainly not point fingers and I totally respect your opinion. It's just the more I look into how situations like this have gone in the past for Cryptic, a wipe really seems like the only way to make sure this is done right. And sadly innocent people will be punished, but if the game is put on maintenance mode or it's shut down early, everyone loses alot more than 2 weeks right at the beginning. I love playing this game, and I'd love for it to last for a long time, but the only way I see that happening are with some big changes a reset, and a "true" launch.
  • Options
    lyokiralyokira Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    cordain87 wrote: »
    I think people like you don't get the big picture. MMORPG's are, by definition, RPG's you play with other people online. There's no rule as to how long you have to play an MMORPG and they are not meant to last forever. I played WoW for 3 years. I was a guild master and main tank of my guild. After 3 years spent on it I came to realize that the most fun I've had in the game was levelling up, doing the silly quests and hanging out in Orgrimmar with friends just having fun with jumping or making fun of NPC's. Not the endgame 25-man raiding. Not the PvP. All the gear-chasing I did took a lot of my time and money. And what did it give me in return? An orange item and a couple of purple items that nobody outside of the game cared about. And acquiring them took a lot of time, frustration and misery.

While WoW is pretty much the standard to which each MMO has to compare itself too (like it or not, it's true), it's not neccessarily a great game. It had excellent customer support, it was almost bug-free, everything was neat and tidy because of the monthly subscription. But ironically, the best part about it was the bugs or easter eggs. The silly looking lvl 1-70 gear. And people with good humor. That's what an MMO is. A game you play with people from around the world and make friends. Play the game on skype with some good friends. Then try to play it alone. The experience is totally different. If you're going solo in an MMO and want to just chase loot - then Diablo 3 is for you.

Was a long reply, but my original point is - MMO's last as long as you want them to. While there are many aspects of this game that I dislike, I don't think PW or any company for that matter has any obligation to make their MMO content last for years, and years, and years...

You know, it's nice to see someone who realizes that MMOs need not last forever. I only wish other game developers would realize the same. (I'd make an MMO with that mindset myself, but gotta start small, and I still need to deal with my laziness. :p)
  • Options
    l4stlifel4stlife Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 66
    edited May 2013
    Sincce the exploit prices on the AH have plumented very low, A week ago I purchased a dagger for 500,000 AD when I had alook at the prices last night the same dagger was selling for 49,999 AD.

So there are 2 arguments to this whole senario,

Argument number 1 - People sending AD on AH before
    people that bought items off the AH before the exploits have paid almost 10 times more than people buying the same item now... which would be the case as the AH has been injected with thousands of item in a very small amount of time (around 3 days) which should have taken months if not years to achieve which has forced the price's down.

Argument number 2 - People spending AD on AH after
    Who cares as they are paying way less... leave it as it is

The only prices that have not dropped are the items that can only be aquired from the zen store (bags, mounts and so on)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    braddass wrote: »
    I never said everyone who opposes a wipe cheated, just that everyone who did not cheat is negatively affected by the exploiters. It really is simple economics.

I have played MMOs for 13+ years. I have opposed exploiting and cheating in every game I have played. I have seen first hand the damage they can do if nothing is done to correct the effects.

Note that I'm not implying that it's simply "I want my AD to matter" either, just the counter point to "you must be cheating if you disagree with me". A strawman to fight a strawman. I haven't seen it in every game I've played, but that's because I'm not looking for it. If I wasn't as much a forum addict as a gaming addict, I wouldn't know about 3/4 or more of the stuff on here. It can't be having that much of an affect, if I can't see it happening.
    lyokira wrote: »
    Well, I was speaking in the PoV of Perfect World there. It's the people who paid which is contributing to their bottom line, so those people are more likely to be treated better. Not saying it's right, but priorities.

Thx for clearing that up. I don't think it's the best way to go forward either.
    jmerithew wrote: »
    I'm certainly not point fingers and I totally respect your opinion. It's just the more I look into how situations like this have gone in the past for Cryptic, a wipe really seems like the only way to make sure this is done right. And sadly innocent people will be punished, but if the game is put on maintenance mode or it's shut down early, everyone loses alot more than 2 weeks right at the beginning. I love playing this game, and I'd love for it to last for a long time, but the only way I see that happening are with some big changes a reset, and a "true" launch.

I have an old PW account, so old that I don't even remember what games it's from. Because of this, I got the emails for the Founder's Pack when they started sending them out to account holders. The fact that I spend an embarrassingly large amount of time gaming/on game forums means that if I can't recall the game, it didn't have a lasting impression on me, so much so that I didn't reinstall it after a HD or system failure. So I can't speak to previous experiences with PW games. I have, however, been involved in more than a few games, SP, MP, MMOs etc. Doing what I would see as an arbitrary wipe is counterproductive, as far as I'm concerned. There are other avenues that can be, and should be pursued first. Based solely on the OP in the Maintenance thread, it seems to me they are indeed pursuing those avenues first.
    Reading comprehension is essential in a medium that requires reading for communication.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    l4stlife wrote: »
    Sincce the exploit prices on the AH have plumented very low, A week ago I purchased a dagger for 500,000 AD when I had alook at the prices last night the same dagger was selling for 49,999 AD.

So there are 2 arguments to this whole senario,

Argument number 1 - People sending AD on AH before
    people that bought items off the AH before the exploits have paid almost 10 times more than people buying the same item now... which would be the case as the AH has been injected with thousands of item in a very small amount of time (around 3 days) which should have taken months if not years to achieve which has forced the price's down.

Argument number 2 - People spending AD on AH after
    Who cares as they are paying way less... leave it as it is

The only prices that have not dropped are the items that can only be aquired from the zen store (bags, mounts and so on)

I fall squarely into none of these categories. I'm not at endgame, although if the game had grabbed me as effectively as other games in the genre, I probably would be. I also don't feel "leave it as it is" is a viable option; ban the exploiters and remove the exploited gear. It's not complicated, although it can be time consuming to track trades/posts. It is far better that than anyone else that's like me, just playing to play, having to start over because somebody is cheating. Go after the criminals, not the entire player base.
  • Options
    kromzorkromzor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't get it. The only people that are going to suffer are PWE.

Thousands of cheap epics on the AH that you can choose to buy or not buy. AD=Zen exchange crashing. It used to be 500+ AD = 1 Zen. Now it stays around 390AD = 1 Zen. Thats a 20% drop in 1 week, lol.

Yeah, they ****ed up. Also in the leveling curve. Even without exploiting you're gonna hit 60 way, way quicker than you would've in say Vanilla WoW. And for what?

So you can farm 160 shards and shell out $120 to get teh h4x0rz enchantment? Or grind AD for 9 months.... for an enchantment.... when you've already likely beaten everything in the game long ago.
  • Options
    l4stlifel4stlife Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 66
    edited May 2013
    I would saggest a server roll back to before the explot started... would only be a couple of days... the longer they leave it the worse it becomes
  • Options
    unirodunirod Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 159 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    They won't do anything. The ignorant and/or blind "fanboys and girls" are still happy. Thinking they are the majority of the playerbase, PWe won't do jack. Face it, this game is done with. Moving on
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    unirod wrote: »
    They won't do anything. The ignorant and/or blind "fanboys and girls" are still happy. Thinking they are the majority of the playerbase, PWe won't do jack. Face it, this game is done with. Moving on

That is such a pity as they game has such potential
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, I'm pretty much done myself. I'm not logging into the game unless they truly address this in an effective way. And considering they haven't responded once to a 114 page thread, but responding to one as to why the login screen can't remember your password, I don't think I'll even bother stating my opinion much longer
  • Options
    rictrasrictras Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 239 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    jmerithew wrote: »

Exploits are always going to happen, no matter the mmo. If a game uses wipes as a fix for exploits, people will have to start all over again on a regular basis. I'm fairly confident that not many people are going to be willing to do that.
    The meaning of life, is to give life meaning.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    PW biggest mistake was going open beta with out proper mass testing... If they had made it open beta for 2 weeks and then do character wipes and zen restore or not enable the zen sotre at all... then these issues would have been addressed with launch and way less of an issue
  • Options
    pboar2006pboar2006 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 421 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

Since you have such intimate insider knowledge on what they will be doing, any hints on new races/classes and whats in Module 1?
  • Options
    klangeddinklangeddin Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    pboar2006 wrote: »
    Since you have such intimate insider knowledge on what they will be doing, any hints on new races/classes and whats in Module 1?

Drows, Rangers and Gauntletgrym!

just pulling guesses out of my ***...
  • Options
    pboar2006pboar2006 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 421 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    PW biggest mistake was going open beta with out proper mass testing... If they had made it open beta for 2 weeks and then do character wipes and zen restore or not enable the zen sotre at all... then these issues would have been addressed with launch and way less of an issue

Open Beta is the stage for mass testing.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    klangeddin wrote: »

Buy no means does this mean anything will be done about all the expliots besides fix the exploit itself so that it does not continue.

I dont think anything will be done about the exploiters themselves and or items that flooded the AH
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    klangeddin wrote: »

Plz be right!!! I wants my ranger, precious....
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    noosed wrote: »
    Goodbye children! We'll miss you!!!

Wanting this game to live up to its great potential makes us children?
  • Options
    unirodunirod Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 159 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Buy no means does this mean anything will be done about all the expliots besides fix the exploit itself so that it does not continue.

I dont think anything will be done about the exploiters themselves and or items that flooded the AH

a reroll has to be done. Anything else just says: " FU, Customer!!!!"
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    a reroll has to be done. Anything else just says: " FU, Customer!!!!"

I say a reroll says "FU Customer". So is your opinion objectively correct, or mine? Neither?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    noosed wrote: »
    Incessantly whining on the forums because the game isn't exactly how you want it, is what makes you a child.
    can you just leave pls ? I bet you are lvl 43ish something and you didn't even begin to understand what the problem is. Most people like me complaining on the forums because we LOVED THE GAME. When I played any other game or f2p(in this case p2w) title which i then liked less and less for different reasons, I JUST LEFT. I didn't log in anymore, I certainly didn't post on the forums.

So this complaining and making noise is the most constructive thing around this pile of ****.

Your "goodbye children bla " <--- if that is all you have to contribute, like I said - just leave. Nothing to do for you here.
  • Options
    zorpennzorpenn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 146 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    They already have said that there will bo no wipe. I dont know why you are still talking :/
    Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
  • Options
    mythrildragonmythrildragon Member Posts: 138 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    at this point a roll back is needed, i won't be spending money on this game if its not done.
  • Options
    notdrizztnotdrizzt Member Posts: 123 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I really hope we get a dev response soon. 115 pages with no PW statement is pretty lame.

Really hoping for a wipe since all these cheaters and exploiters destroyed the game and are now moving on.
    at this point a roll back is needed, i won't be spending money on this game if its not done.

Forget rollback! People were exploiting since day one. We need a fresh, clean start.

Give everyone some free AD, an XP booster, and a floozle pet if you must. This will keep them happy. But wipe already and fix our game!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I say a reroll says "FU Customer". So is your opinion objectively correct, or mine? Neither?

Just because you don't understand or even worse, refuse to understand what the problem is doesn't make your statement valid.

What they could do is open new servers with a reset economy. Then people with common sense can restart there ( which is annoying, i know but better than a broken monopoly). The rest of the sheep can stay on the current old shards.
This discussion has been closed.