test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

This game is already being destroyed.

ayamataayamata Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 290 Bounty Hunter
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I swear it seems just like yesterday that I got to roll my fresh new hero on the HoTN Headstart. I was so excited to FINALLY be able to dive right into this brilliant game that I have been so patiently waiting for.

I hit 60 right on the OBT launch day.
It was only 2 weeks later that the game would already be flooded with cheap ridiculous exploits, malicious elitists, scam artists and rmt-bots.

It kinda upsets me to see the game in this condition.
I loved this game until it went into Open Beta.
Once again I find myself believing that F2P models ruin mmo's these days.
It's like a double-edged sword;
Yes it's nice to not have to pay for it or pay a recurring subscription;
but you have to take into account all of the <my eyes are burning!> that F2P games lure in.

I'm aware it's only been a few weeks into OBT. I'm aware things will be fixed in the future.
But one can only hope most of the negative things will be taken into consideration and be diminished.
I want to love this game again; but as of right now, I'm already looking for something else to play.
It really sucks to hear myself admit that, but Cryptic has a lot of work ahead of them.
I just hope they don't get overwhelmed.
lunapic_136818015258135_1.gif
Post edited by ayamata on

Comments

• Options
    lollielollie Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    f2p games are disposable games. Only good for playing when your subscription game bores you.
  • Options
    ayamataayamata Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 290 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    lollie wrote: »
    f2p games are disposable games. Only good for playing when your subscription game bores you.

LOL. Nicely put. :P
  • Options
    jazzneojazzneo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1
    edited May 2013
    Info Rift going f2p

Trion Worlds has just announced that fantasy MMO RIFT will be headed free-to-play. Though former studio reps were once adamant that the game would remain a subscription MMO, the team has apparently decided it can better compete in a F2P world by being F2P. The hybrid model will include an optional sub with fully free content like dungeons and questing; consumables, cosmetics, and even gear will make up the cash shop.

We asked Creative Director Bill Fisher to explain the whys and wherefores of this decision. Check out our interview after the jump!

so f2p wins the battle

it new game it take time to make updates
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    jazzneo wrote: »
    f2p wins the battle

All f2p wins are games that are <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> from the start, or games that are now yesterday's dinner. The newest, quality games are always going to be subscription.
  • Options
    strahn794strahn794 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There's zero <my eyes. They burn!> in sub based games, it's a fact
  • Options
    battlechantbattlechant Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 33
    edited May 2013
    The game is still young

Keep your fingers crossed it will look better down the road.

To avoid all of the above you mentioned, I solo and keep to myself, lets me enjoy the game.
    BattleChant
  • Options
    flayedawgflayedawg Member Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ayamata wrote: »
    Once again I find myself believing that F2P models ruin mmo's these days.

When they're done wrong -- as most of them are -- yes, they do.

IMO, EQ2's is very well done; LOTRO & DDO aren't bad.

I'm on the fence about this game's, but I'm leaning towards "very bad cash shop model."
    Fare you well
    Let your life proceed by its own designs
    Nothing to tell
    Let the words be yours, I'm done with mine ...
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    if anyone dont want to play this game anymore you can send me your hero of the north account. i take good care of it lol. i dont have problem with the game i enjoy the foundery dungeones pve more then pvp
  • Options
    chai23chai23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    subscription. For a number of reasons.
  • Options
    pressexpose1pressexpose1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    is a bro mad?
    fs_lastplayed.png
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    chai23 wrote: »
    subscription. For a number of reasons.

it dont save game it just make it hard get people to play it
  • Options
    screamingpalmscreamingpalm Member Posts: 304 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Haha, well say what you will about the exploiters and whatnot, but I have to give them credit for outsmarting the devs (whose priority seems to be counting their money and adding new items to the cash shop). There are some pretty smart sheep in the flock (or maybe wolves).
  • Options
    chai23chai23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    flayedawg wrote: »
    When they're done wrong -- as most of them are -- yes, they do.

IMO, EQ2's is very well done; LOTRO & DDO aren't bad.

I'm on the fence about this game's, but I'm leaning towards "very bad cash shop model."

None of which started f2p.

THey all started sub only and went f2p in order to pick up folks who will not play sub only games.
  • Options
    valtrayvaltray Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    free to play. For a number of reasons.
  • Options
    kimonagikimonagi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I agree and its exactly how i feel except you can express yourself with a much better tone then i can. hehe
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    LOTRO was ****ing terrible. What?

Nothing more immersion breaking than walking into a new zone where you are asked to break out your wallet.
  • Options
    gohlargohlar Member Posts: 73
    edited May 2013
    lollie wrote: »
    All f2p wins are games that are <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> from the start, or games that are now yesterday's dinner. The newest, quality games are always going to be subscription.

Rift is a very complete and competent mmo. Probably the best of the "modern" mmos. So no, it's not only for games that are "<font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> from the start". Let alone that Rift lasted years with a sub.

Nothing more immersion breaking than walking into a new zone where you are asked to break out your wallet.

I agree. LOTRO was actually a solid game, it just had a horrible F2P setup.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    is a bro mad?

Be gone, peasant.
  • Options
    nicknameschmicknamenicknameschmickname Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    In f2p games there is nothing to lose when you exploit.

So your main account is banned? Oh well, you transferred all the gear and resources you exploited to a mule account anyway, and you can just exploit your way to 60 on a new account.

The exploits need to fixed in a timely manner, as well as rollbacks issued, neither of which PW is known for or will do, to prevent this from happening.
  • Options
    tfangeltfangel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I take it none of you have played WoW recently, because it's still sub only, and you get every one of those things. Heck, i looked up a list of games that still need a sub, and they are few and far between, with some that have with even worse communities. Out of 13 i could find, only three (WoW, FFXI, and EvE, not counting rift since it's now f2p) have even been updated in the last year or two. Most not even updated since 2010 or earlier. I'm going to get FFXIV because i love the lore and world, but beyond my dabbling in WoW, subs only are going the way of the dodo. Companies just can't make it with how little they pull in compared to f2p.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    chai23 wrote: »
    None of which started f2p.

I didn't say they did -- I suggested them as F2P models that weren't game-ruiners. I stand by that.

Entirely your opinion. It didn't bother me anywhere near as much as it apparently bothered you; my reasons for not playing LOTRO any more have nothing to do with their cash shop or F2P model. Having said that ...
    gohlar wrote: »
    Rift is a very complete and competent mmo.

... you couldn't pay me enough to play Rift again, subscription or otherwise. Some good ideas -- namely the Rift invasions -- but one of the most linear & alt-unfriendly MMOs I've ever played.
    Fare you well
    Nothing to tell
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Rift is a very complete and competent mmo. Probably the best of the "modern" mmos. So no, it's not only for games that are "<font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> from the start".

I said OR.

OR yesterday's dinner, which RIFT now is (sadly). But we (the subscription gamers) have moved on and want a new game to play.

This is the cycle of life.

Clubs (not pubs) are the same - have about a 4 year lifespan before people get bored and move on. It's the nature of people who seek entertainment, need a new thrill always. New place to be seen and new things to do.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    ... you couldn't pay me enough to play Rift again, subscription or otherwise. Some good ideas -- namely the Rift invasions -- but one of the most linear & alt-unfriendly MMOs I've ever played.

Sounds like you didn't understand the game very well. Your loss. /shrug
  • Options
    tfangeltfangel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    EQ2's is very well done;

Last time i tried it, and it may have changed since then, it had most races and classes behind a buy to unlock wall. I'm okay with a few, but when it's the majority of the classes, and every interesting one, it's a huge turn off. I honestly can't say i can believe anyone who says this is a bad model and EQ2 had a good one. It would be like if here you could only play human GWF free, and all other classes were pay to play. Here they haven't even announced if new races and classes would be pay (though they have said drow will be free for all 60 days after launch), but people are freaking out thinking they will.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    tfangel wrote: »
    Last time i tried it, and it may have changed since then, it had most races and classes behind a buy to unlock wall. I'm okay with a few, but when it's the majority of the classes, and every interesting one, it's a huge turn off. I honestly can't say i can believe anyone who says this is a bad model and EQ2 had a good one. It would be like if here you could only play human GWF free, and all other classes were pay to play. Here they haven't even announced if new races and classes would be pay (though they have said drow will be free for all 60 days after launch), but people are freaking out thinking they will.

EQ2 wouldn't let you equip rare items without paying. Gross.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Entirely your opinion. It didn't bother me anywhere near as much as it apparently bothered you; my reasons for not playing LOTRO any more have nothing to do with their cash shop or F2P model. Having said that ...

Fair enough, it's all subjective anyway, but yes I found their model to be utterly disgraceful. On top of that, the way they changed the game to be more solo friendly turned it into a Massively Singleplayer snoozefest until endgame (which took eons to get to). I much prefer the "events" in NWO, that while needs a lot of work, at least is a nice way to incentivize group play. If I want to play a singleplayer game, there are MUCH better alternatives for me than the ironically antisocial platform of MMO's.
  • Options
    nicknameschmicknamenicknameschmickname Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013

All of which can be cured by paying $15 a month to get access to everything. Unlike NWN, where you are stuck paying $40 for one item.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    All of which can be cured by paying $15 a month to get access to everything. Unlike NWN, where you are stuck paying $40 for one item.

Exactly. This is why subscription games are good for us, the gamers (gamers being the ones who pay to play a game, and don't want to pay to have greater power over the poor people like f2p games are set up to encourage). The guy who makes one we really want (as opposed to a less shiny and less complete WoW copy) will be winning.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Sounds like you didn't understand the game very well. Your loss. /shrug

I understood it well enough to get to max level in it faster than I've ever gotten in any previous MMO. I understood it well enough to quickly realize that trying to play more than one alt was a waste of my time. If you liked it, bully for you; I thought it was a mediocre MMO, & Trion Worlds an unimpressive MMO company, which is why, despite my really liking the show Defiance, I refuse to play the game.
    Last time i tried it, and it may have changed since then, it had most races and classes behind a buy to unlock wall. I'm okay with a few, but when it's the majority of the classes, and every interesting one, it's a huge turn off. I honestly can't say i can believe anyone who says this is a bad model and EQ2 had a good one.

Well, honestly, I really liked the "ala' carte" system of classes & races, since there are only a few of each I care about. So, I bought 2 class packs -- Necromancer & Troubador -- & 1 race pack. You're entirely right about the way the model works; the only disagreement I have with you is whether or not it's a "bad" thing. Obviously, someone who wants access to every race & class will not like EQ2's model, & there's nothing wrong with that. Of course, you can always pay the subscription fee & not worry.

I played EQ2 for more than a year, leveled my Troubie to 90th & my Swashy to 70, & in that time spent maybe $60 total, $40 of which went to an expansion pack. If I go back now, I've still got a full stack of Master spell unlockers & half a stack of item unlockers, & a full stack of broker tokens should I ever want to sell anything. The single biggest road-block I face in that game is the Plat cap; my 90 Troubie is limited to 18 plat, which is really low. But having an excellent guild helps a very great deal.

EQ2: $20 for a mount, maybe $25 tops. PW: $40 for mounts that $OE would sell for $25.

EQ2: Additional bags for well under $10 each, & 44-slot bags easily available everywhere. PW: $10 for a 24-slot bag, very few (if any) bags available in-game.

EQ2: Respecs available in-game, for strictly in-game currency. PW: Limited respecs available in-game for Astral Diamonds; full respecs only available by buying Zen, or converting ADs to Zen.

EQ2: no ability to spend real money & buy awesome, end-game gear on broker. PW: buy Zen, convert to AD, buy your epix.

There are three reasons why I think EQ2's model is superior, but I totally understand why others might disagree, & it's all good.
    Fare you well
    Nothing to tell
  • Options
    darkwingz88darkwingz88 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jazzneo wrote: »
    Info Rift going f2p

Trion Worlds has just announced that fantasy MMO RIFT will be headed free-to-play. Though former studio reps were once adamant that the game would remain a subscription MMO, the team has apparently decided it can better compete in a F2P world by being F2P. The hybrid model will include an optional sub with fully free content like dungeons and questing; consumables, cosmetics, and even gear will make up the cash shop.

We asked Creative Director Bill Fisher to explain the whys and wherefores of this decision. Check out our interview after the jump!

so f2p wins the battle

it new game it take time to make updates

And I asked friends when rift goes f2p.
    Awesome.