test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

This game is already being destroyed.

Comments

• darkwingz88darkwingz88 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    spacejew wrote: »
    F2P is what game companies do when they realize they're not making as obscene of a profit as they used to, and decide to make short sighted decisions that increase revenue at the expense of the player base. Eventually, the player base leaves to the point where they just shut it down.

That is not the only F2P model, of course. Neverwinter is a different animal all together. But most subscription games end up being F2P eventually. You could say the F2P conversion is the beginning of the end, although there are companies that are able to milk it for years. It's still a profit, after all. Just not as obscene of a profit.

Games like SWTOR will probably be around for years to come. That's where the franchise name comes into play. Neverwinter could have been a longer term cash cow before making the F2P conversion. They went with instant money though, which is unsurprising given the development process for this game.

Heck, that's why so many F2P conversions still offer subscriptions for game play while selling cosmetic only items in their cash store. People are already invested, and are willing to shell out a fraction of the cost of their subscription on 'pretty' items.

Neverwinters store is fine if you only ever intend on running one character. You aren't buying a game in the cash shop, you're buying a functioning character. For $60 bucks you get one character with most of the things you'd expect from a new release game. It's just that you continue paying more real money for basic quality of life things, such as respec's. Sure you can game the currency, that's fine, but then you're working just to play. If you like Neverwinter, you're probably the type to pay $60 bucks a month on Neverwinter.

DDO as I recall made 17x more money as a f2p model than sub model. I for one dropped there around 200$ but I never ever would subscribe to it.
    I just refuse cash grab korean schemes of macro payments neverwinter has.
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I understand that some folks prefer P2P models, what I'm not getting is the need to incessantly make forum threads about it on a F2P game?

I mean it's not like Cryptic is going to say.."Oh no we made a huge mistake! Quick make with the sub based goodness!" Every single person who is currently complaining could all leave and it wouldn't hurt the bottom line, forum warriors like to think that the have this power over the success or failure of a game, but they really don't considering that maybe 1% of the player base actually visits these cesspools, and maybe .2% visit them for reasons other than forum drama.

I have a simple philosophy, if I think game A sucks, or that game A's business model is borked, I go play game B. Forum rage isn't remembered, it certainly isn't respected, it's a gesture of impotence really.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • etherealjetherealj Member Posts: 1,091 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    DDO as I recall made 17x more money as a f2p model than sub model. I for one dropped there around 200$ but I never ever would subscribe to it.
    I just refuse cash grab korean schemes of macro payments neverwinter has.

DDO was hilariously bad at release. Removing the Dragons from the game name would have been more apropros. Was anyone shocked DDO had to go f2p?
    Use the <removed exploit lead-in> to interact with the auction vendor.
  • timm4444timm4444 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 363
    edited May 2013
    mattplex wrote: »
    EA making an MMO should not surprise anyone of the state of SWTOR.
    I played it for 2 months, had fun. Glad I never went back to it.

FF14 will be MMO salvation.

Until EQN releases.

People said the same thing before launch about. . .

LotRO
    WAR
    Aion
    AoC
    Rift
    SWToR
    TERA
    TSW
    FFIV

. . .What makes you think FFIV:RR or ESO will be any different than those? Dev promises? I remember when I had such naive hope as you put in those two games that any big budget MMO will be anything else than a watered down casual, easymode experience. . .
  • spacejewspacejew Member Posts: 1,044 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Lots of games are bad at release. I can think of one right off the top of my head. 0.o

As to why I bring it up, it should be obvious. They can always add a subscription plan to an already F2P game. They won't, but wouldn't it be interesting if this game reversed the P2P to F2P business model? (Yeah, it'll never happen. Just saying.)
    MoF/Thaum CW SS/Thaum CW IV/Protector GF SW/Combat HR SM/Destroyer GWF WK/Executioner TR DO/Faithful DC
  • ellindar1ellindar1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Maybe instead of just a qq post you could actually put what is making you not want to play. If its other players, I hate to say it, but stay off of internet games in general lol. If its something that changed since going to open beta what were the changes that upset you?
    Halls_Sig.jpg
  • mattplexmattplex Member Posts: 55
    edited May 2013
    timm4444 wrote: »
    People said the same thing before launch about. . .

LotRO
    WAR
    Aion
    AoC
    Rift
    SWToR
    TERA
    TSW
    FFIV

. . .What makes you think FFIV:RR or ESO will be any different than those? Dev promises? I remember when I had such naive hope as you put in those two games that any big budget MMO will be anything else than a watered down casual, easymode experience. . .

Because I played FF14 and I enjoyed it.
    I am hoping there is a sprinkle of FF11 in it, so it isn't a watered down casual easymode experience.

But I could be wrong, either way I am still going to give it a shot, because I enjoyed the beta.
    And I hope they learned their **** lesson from FF14 original.

Your list makes me shudder hahaha Although Rift is still the best MMO out today.
  • ayamataayamata Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 290 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Why is everyone saying that this game isn't going to change it's model ?

That's not even what I'm asking.
    I was simply stating that the F2P model will be most likely be the demise of this game, like most F2P mmo's on the market.
    You actually think I'm one of those naive people who are like OMG PLEASE MAKE THIS GAME SUB ONLY

Gtfo of here.
    That's never going to happen.
    Regardless if it's F2P or not, there's a lot of things Cryptic could've done to save face.
    From the way things are playing out right now, the game's stability is growing weaker and weaker.
    I want to see things fixed, and fixed promptly before they get out of hand.

The Dev's have a lot on their plate that needs attention and resolution.
    lunapic_136818015258135_1.gif
  • ayamataayamata Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 290 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    ellindar1 wrote: »
    Maybe instead of just a qq post you could actually put what is making you not want to play. If its other players, I hate to say it, but stay off of internet games in general lol. If its something that changed since going to open beta what were the changes that upset you?

I definitely stated what was rubbing me the wrong way.
    If you can't understand the original post before making senseless gestures, then maybe you should stay off of a game's forums.

Good day, peasant.
    lunapic_136818015258135_1.gif
  • timm4444timm4444 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 363
    edited May 2013
    Because I played FF14 and I enjoyed it.
    I am hoping there is a sprinkle of FF11 in it, so it isn't a watered down casual easymode experience.

But I could be wrong, either way I am still going to give it a shot, because I enjoyed the beta.
    And I hope they learned their **** lesson from FF14 original.

Your list makes me shudder hahaha Although Rift is still the best MMO out today.

I played and enjoyed most of the games I listed. . .Does not make them the "Messiah" of MMO's. . .

Rift being the best MMO is your opinion, one I do not share. . .

Remember when Rift was in beta and they a t.v. campaign taking cheap shots at WoW? Remember when Tiron boasted that they would "Slay the beast that is WoW". . .

. . .Yeah, none of that actually happened. . .

And FFIV:RR is not revolutionary or even evolutionary. . .It cant be! Square Enix does not have the Testies to try and gamble on a product that they already lost so much money on. . .Expect a safe by the numbers MMO.
  • ellindar1ellindar1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ayamata wrote: »
    I definitely stated what was rubbing me the wrong way.
    If you can't understand the original post before making senseless gestures, then maybe you should stay off of a game's forums.

Good day, peasant.

That's what I thought. General blanket statements that really are directed at other players and no real facts. Gotcha. Next time, just title the post "More QQ"
    Halls_Sig.jpg
  • mattplexmattplex Member Posts: 55
    edited May 2013
    I played and enjoyed most of the games I listed. . .Does not make them the "Messiah" of MMO's. . .

Rift being the best MMO is your opinion, one I do not share. . .

Remember when Rift was in beta and they a t.v. campaign taking cheap shots at WoW? Remember when Tiron boasted that they would "Slay the beast that is WoW". . .

. . .Yeah, none of that actually happened. . .

And FFIV:RR is not revolutionary or even evolutionary. . .It cant be! Square Enix does not have the Testies to try and gamble on a product that they already lost so much money on. . .Expect a safe by the numbers MMO.

I don't see how Rift isn't the best MMO out right now.
    Lot of collectibles. Customizable classes. Constant added patches, huge expansions. Difficulty in dungeons. Just everything and more.

And I just want FF14 really bad, because I am hurting for an MMO that isn't Rift right now.
    It should be fun, but I don't expect it to be a worldbeater.
  • kimonagikimonagi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Think most of the complaining would go away if they could only tell us a few simple things like if top gear will stay BoE and other issues that keep coming back like the daily exploits (there is a new one everyday it seems). Could go a long way to calm everyone.
  • krnefraikrnefrai Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    F2P can be fine, just depends on how it's done. Personally, I never had an issue with Guild Wars 2 F2P system and store. Everyone is going to be unhappy about something though, especially when it comes to an MMO. There are very few sub based MMO's I would want to play either. I can't get into WoW or Rift, Tera was fun for awhile but got old fast, I haven't found anything to keep my attention as long as Lineage 2 did (in their case, when L2 went F2P it really did destroy the game). I'm starting to think I'll never really get hooked on an MMO again, but I keep hoping for that "one MMO" that will last for me. Maybe this one, maybe Archage, I don't know...
  • code004code004 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There's always a group of pretentious ******s that will complain about f2p. It happens in every f2p game, because they think they're above players that prefer f2p, eventually, their passion to argue about it burns out, and it's just a pointless thread with pages, and pages, and pages of raging. Just move along, nothing to see here.
  • kimonagikimonagi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    code004 wrote: »
    There's always a group of pretentious ******s that will complain about f2p. It happens in every f2p game, because they think they're above players that prefer f2p, eventually, their passion to argue about it burns out, and it's just a pointless thread with pages, and pages, and pages of raging. Just move along, nothing to see here.

I see little in the OP post that is elitist or pretentious. You need to be totally blind not to see that some elements of this games buisness model is creating perfect conditions for exploiting.
  • vestige321vestige321 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 149 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    It's ok! A game destroyed in open beta will be successful at launch
    edited May 2013
    I don't see how Rift isn't the best MMO out right now.
    Lot of collectibles. Customizable classes. Constant added patches, huge expansions. Difficulty in dungeons. Just everything and more.

And I just want FF14 really bad, because I am hurting for an MMO that isn't Rift right now.
    It should be fun, but I don't expect it to be a worldbeater.

then don't say it if you don't mean it, YOU stated that FFIV would set the MMO world on fire, now you say "I didn't really mean what I said."

And What Rift has, has been done better elsewhere.
  • pressexpose1pressexpose1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Be gone, peasant.

I'm a peasant because I don't have a blue name? is this how it goes here now? Would you like to come to my house and see what I've amassed? I'm not a young man. I have some toys. I have some disposable income. The leathers I'm wearing in my avatar? Dianese W-Frame GP leathers. about $2500 new. The whole kit with lid? nearly 5 grand The bike I'm sitting on? One of 1500 and one of a few in my garage that will cost you $100000 to buy today.

Am I supposed to be intimidated by your accusations of being a pauper? people like you, one time buyers are of no interest to Cryptic. They want people with regular free money. And I'm not giving it to them rockerfeller. You blue names are just the idiots that paid for the launch campaign champagne
    fs_lastplayed.png
    edited May 2013
    I'm a peasant because I don't have a blue name? is this how it goes here now? Would you like to come to my house and see what I've amassed? I'm not a young man. I have soem toys. I have some disposable income. The leathers I'm wearing in my avatar? dianese W Frame GP leathers. about

If you are not the %1 then you are a peasant. . .:rolleyes:
    edited May 2013
    If you are not the %1 then you are a peasant. . .:rolleyes:

I'm from the UK. We don't concern ourselves with the US. I race at weekends and drink beer in the week. Whatever percent that puts me in I'm ok with it. ( I'd fit your 1 percent, if audited )
    fs_lastplayed.png
  • aislingiaislingi Member Posts: 140 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I swear it seems just like yesterday that I got to roll my fresh new hero on the HoTN Headstart. I was so excited to FINALLY be able to dive right into this brilliant game that I have been so patiently waiting for.

I hit 60 right on the OBT launch day.
    It was only 2 weeks later that the game would already be flooded with cheap ridiculous exploits, malicious elitists, scam artists and rmt-bots.

It kinda upsets me to see the game in this condition.
    I loved this game until it went into Open Beta.
    Once again I find myself believing that F2P models ruin mmo's these days.
    It's like a double-edged sword;
    Yes it's nice to not have to pay for it or pay a recurring subscription;
    but you have to take into account all of the d0uche bags that F2P games lure in.

I'm aware it's only been a few weeks into OBT. I'm aware things will be fixed in the future.
    But one can only hope most of the negative things will be taken into consideration and be diminished.
    I want to love this game again; but as of right now, I'm already looking for something else to play.
    It really sucks to hear myself admit that, but Cryptic has a lot of work ahead of them.
    I just hope they don't get overwhelmed.

I'm the same, but I gotta be honest, WoW has an unbearably high d0uche to cool dude ratio and that game still charges 15 a month.
    Wow cultivated a mentality of self centeredness, and apathy. They did so by ignoring griefers, and trolls. Sure, they may crack down on an exploit but when it comes to community they just didn't care. A banning was one less sub.

I blame Cryptic and PWE. Why because its up to the company to enforce their rules. To lay the foundation of what they want their community to be like.

This is the kind of thing you need to establish from day one. and be consistent. Right now, Cryptic relies on automated reporting and chat baning that boggles any sensible persons' mind. This tells me they don't care. Their joke of a CBT was also a red flag.

First day in I saw several pages of AH listing for bags of holes and I just thought, "here way go!"

the last five skirmishes/dungeons I've said hello at the beginning and not a single person responds, not a word. Even at the end when I say thanks for the party and take care. Nothing. This game is going the WoW route fast. "Gogogo for fast epics!"

A real shame.
    I wanna go back to being weird. I like being weird. Weird's all I got, oh, and my sweet style. -Maurice Moss, The IT Crowd
    edited May 2013
    I'm from the UK. We don't concern ourselves with the US. I race at weekends and drink beer in the week. Whatever percent that puts me in I'm ok with it. ( I'd fit your 1 percent, if audited )

No you would not. . .you have over 10 mill pound sterling in that bike of yours?

thought not. . .

. . .its ok im a peasant too. . .

And thats ok, we here in the US don't give a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> about your soggy island too. . .
    edited May 2013
    No you would not. . .you have over 10 mill pound sterling in that bike of yours?

thought not. . .

. . .its ok im a peasant too. . .

And thats ok, we here in the US don't give a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> about your soggy island too. . .

That's one of 15 bikes knocking around not including the race bikes or the cars. Then there is the race team assets and of course my home assets.

I'd be close. but I'm just a guy who fills his time with d&d. like many others. We certainly are not peasants because we are wise enough to not invest in an obvious money grab.

I'll be at Donnington circuit UK for the next World Superbike round, in the paddock. If anyone wants to come see me PM me. If anyone wants to get in my face I'll see that you have a gate pass :)

I do this stuff :)
    DS2_1223_6151.jpg
    fs_lastplayed.png
    edited May 2013
    That's one of 15 bikes knocking around not including the race bikes or the cars. Then there is the race team assets and of course my home assets.

I'd be close. but I'm just a guy who fills his time with d&d. like many others. We certainly are not peasants because we are wise enough to not invest in an obvious money grab.

I'll be at Donnington circuit UK for the next World Superbike round, in the paddock. If anyone wants to come see me PM me. If anyone wants to get in my face I'll see that you have a gate pass :)

I do this stuff :)
    DS2_1223_6151.jpg

Cool story brah. . .

In other news, I'm the king of Nigeria. . .

And I need some help moving some rather large sums of money. . .
  • watchyourbackwatchyourback Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Cool story brah. . .

In other news, I'm the king of Nigeria. . .

And I need some help moving some rather large sums of money. . .

and still continues to circle threads and drop the troll bomb whenever possible.....

operation rebound
    edited May 2013
    and still continues to circle threads and drop the troll bomb whenever possible.....

operation rebound

Brah, you better "watchyourback" I see someone behind you in the darkness of your lair. . .

:cool:
    edited May 2013
    Brah, you better "watchyourback" I see someone behind you in the darkness of your lair. . .

:cool:

ill send your mom home shortly brah...
  • steppenkatsteppenkat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

This girl is the same one that was bragging about getting a full PvP gear (which can be farmed in 2 days at level 60) in a forum post, so I wouldn't bother talking back.

Some of the elitism she criticises, she shows off as well (though of a different type, same effect: e-peen hardcore gamers are as toxic as snobbish deluxe snowflake collectors).

Though some of the points she makes in the thread are still valid. It's the player communty viral atitude what is destroying the game and doomsday sayers are only going to make it worse.

It doesn't have to do that much with the payment system: sub games have bad players as well, there's only a filter. And honestly, 15 dollars upfront is change.

The freebies will always try to rush their game, reach max level, then quit. This won't change.

The difference between a f2p and a sub model nowadays is that the first system has a chance to hook people (they don't feel like they need to sacrifice anything in order to try the game). It's easier to give some candy samples and then sell them than selling a deluxe box with fifteen flavors. The second case doesn't reward interest, so who would invest on something that doesn't try to hook them in the first place, but instead, set barriers in order to enjoy the content (buy game, then expansion packs, then monthly prepaid card...)? There a reason why more and more people don't care about WoW anymore. If it is such a good business model it would have more players than League of Legends.
    Characters:
    - Titania Silverblade, the Iron Rose of Myth Drannor (Lvl 60 GWF, Destroyer)
    - Gwyneth, the Cowardly Cat Burglar Drowling (Lvl 60 TR, Saboteur)
    - Lady Rowanne Firehair, Heartwarder of Sune (Lvl 33 DC)
    - Satella, Sensate (LvL 44 CW, Renegade, Non-Active)

Check Steppenkat's Foundry Quest Reviews!
    edited May 2013
    steppenkat wrote: »
    This girl is the same one that was bragging about getting a full PvP gear (which can be farmed in 2 days at level 60) in a forum post, so I wouldn't bother talking back.

Some of the elitism she criticises, she shows off as well (though of a different type, same effect: e-peen hardcore gamers are as toxic as snobbish deluxe snowflake collectors).

Though some of the points she makes in the thread are still valid. It's the player communty viral atitude what is destroying the game and doomsday sayers are only going to make it worse.

the flames keep going because nobody from cryptic or PWE responds to such serious dangers to there game really sounds like they truly dont give a ****. even a CM response that its being looked into would suffice alot more than pure silence...