test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Zen only respec makes this game pay-to-win

thehadrielthehadriel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
To begin, let me say that I thought I needed 20 points to unlock the third rank of a power. Apparently this is not true. I am now level 45 with rank 2 in every power. This is not good. I will now be inferior to every single wizard in the game. How do I fix this? Spend $6. Spend $6 and be up to par with the other wizards. Even if I didn't make the mistake of unlocking rank 2 of every power, I still would have made some mistakes in powers I didn't want.

The cash shop as it is currently is ridiculous. It is pay-to-win. Cosmetic stuff? Dyes? Outfits? Mounts? Astral Diamonds? Companions? Fine. But the ability to respec? That's just way over the line. Cryptic, you're restricting us from choosing our skills. Please change this.
Post edited by thehadriel on

Comments

• Options
    wondyrwondyr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    When it states 20 points to unlock it means you have to spend 20 points in the tree then when you go to spend point 21 you can apply it to the skill for rank 3.
  • Options
    wrenaqwrenaq Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Or you could plan your character and have no need to respec ;)
    Also you can sell AD to zen and pay for it that way...I have little trouble raising enough AD and have had enough for a token.
    Not PTW at all it is pay for time..nothing more. How does a respect token make you win? lol.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    wrenaq wrote: »
    Or you could plan your character and have no need to respec ;)
    Also you can sell AD to zen and pay for it that way...I have little trouble raising enough AD and have had enough for a token.
    Not PTW at all it is pay for time..nothing more. How does a respect token make you win? lol.
    A respect token doesn't make you win, but a respec one does. It costs way too much AD for 600 zen.
  • Options
    teldarateldara Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Lets also ignore the fact that all gear in dungeons are BoE and you can ninja them and put it on the AH for AD. Then someone can buy Zen and convert it to AD and buy gear, weapons, and etc.

That's obviously not Pay to Win.
  • Options
    kynttilakynttila Member Posts: 109 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    teldara wrote: »
    Lets also ignore the fact that all gear in dungeons are BoE and you can ninja them and put it on the AH for AD. Then someone can buy Zen and convert it to AD and buy gear, weapons, and etc.

That's obviously not Pay to Win.

That's directly against most players morale (at least I still like to think so) - to force people ninja over in-game currency just because there are barely any other as profitable ways to get AD.
  • Options
    kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Pay to win what?
    Is there some competitive pvp scene with prizes that I'm missing at some point in the game?
  • Options
    riven84riven84 Member, Banned Users Posts: 574 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    thehadriel wrote: »
    A respect token doesn't make you win, but a respec one does. It costs way too much AD for 600 zen.

600 Zen is like 225K AD right now. That's like a day's work.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Pay to win what?
    Is there some competitive pvp scene with prizes that I'm missing at some point in the game?

Win the e-peen contest, duh :)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Pay to win what?
    Dungeons, PvP, etc. No one wants to suck.
    riven84 wrote: »
    600 Zen is like 225K AD right now. That's like a day's work.
    How is that a day's work? It took me forever to make 50k AD.
  • Options
    vesolcvesolc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Dungeons, PvP, etc. No one wants to suck.

Multiple toons and no life. XD
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    vesolc wrote: »
    Multiple toons and no life. XD

Tried to be funny; failed miserably. Good job.

No, you run dungeons, obviously. And sell the good stuff.
  • Options
    vesolcvesolc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    riven84 wrote: »
    Tried to be funny; failed miserably. Good job.

No, you run dungeons, obviously. And sell the good stuff.

Yeah, still no life ;)
  • Options
    moonhammermoonhammer Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The fact that so many posts about the respec and in game talk about it costing Zen to respec means this is a problem. I think Cryptic should just give in and change this make there customers happy so they can keep them instead of chasing them away. The more customers you have the more money you make you don't make money off pissed of customers that have moved on to something else.
  • Options
    imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

No wonder if you make a new thread like this one every day. :p

On a serious note, 225k a day is quick at the moment. T2 epic gear sells well still, praying gives you blue wards that you can sell for up to 100k and there are also other AH methods that work very well even at low levels, but I'm not going to share those here -- or everyone will do it.

But that said, I agree that respecs should be available as a base feature. I don't agree that this makes the game "p2w", because you get more power points than you actually need to have a "perfect" build, there is still a lot of debate going on what is "best". Feats can be respecced with AD. The hardest content has already been beaten and I'm not sure everyone had the mathematically best setup or build, because we don't know yet what that even is. So, all the content is very realistically accessible to everyone, even if you never contribute to the game's upkeep and development.

There is nothing to win, and besides, respec tokens are very inexpensive and you can reasonably earn them by playing the game. I still think respeccing should be offered for free, but at the same time I also don't think it's a big issue unless you're a guide writer or theorycrafter.
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • Options
    fridgefighterfridgefighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, still no life ;)

Weakest insult ever.
  • Options
    breagandaerthbreagandaerth Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    To begin, let me say that I thought I needed 20 points to unlock the third rank of a power. Apparently this is not true. I am now level 45 with rank 2 in every power. This is not good. I will now be inferior to every single wizard in the game. How do I fix this? Spend $6. Spend $6 and be up to par with the other wizards. Even if I didn't make the mistake of unlocking rank 2 of every power, I still would have made some mistakes in powers I didn't want.

The cash shop as it is currently is ridiculous. It is pay-to-win. Cosmetic stuff? Dyes? Outfits? Mounts? Astral Diamonds? Companions? Fine. But the ability to respec? That's just way over the line. Cryptic, you're restricting us from choosing our skills. Please change this.

I disagree. As quick as it is to level if you do not like your feats and do not wish to spend money reroll and be 60 next week. Given how quick it is to level in this game respec is a convenience item therefor not pay to win.
  • Options
    breagandaerthbreagandaerth Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    moonhammer wrote: »
    The fact that so many posts about the respec and in game talk about it costing Zen to respec means this is a problem. I think Cryptic should just give in and change this make there customers happy so they can keep them instead of chasing them away. The more customers you have the more money you make you don't make money off pissed of customers that have moved on to something else.

I don't see it as a problem. I like my builds and have no need to respec. Just reroll your toon if you messed things up.
  • Options
    djleberdjleber Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, still no life ;)

So running dungeons that take 30-40 minutes if u know what ur doing means u have no life? u could do 3 a day after work and socializing. ur telling me theres not millions of ppl who sit in front a tv instead of a pc for hours on end out there? get real

Id call u a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> but thatd be insulting mentally challenged
  • Options
    ravinravin Member Posts: 587 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yet another useless p2w thread to go with the other 1000 useless p2w threads. You couldn't have posted this in one of those?
    =\/= ================================ =\/=
    Centurion maximus92
    12th Legion, Romulan Republic
    12th Fleet

=\/= ================================ =\/=
  • Options
    jnc87jnc87 Member Posts: 40
    edited May 2013
    AD at this point is very easy to gain by selling items on the AH, tho...once the prices get normalized I'm not sure how hard it will be to pay for stuff like a respec.

But...obviously the ratio time:money will be heavily P2W, because we all know that to gain 10$ worth by playing the game you will have to play several hours.
  • Options
    djleberdjleber Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    shahualing wrote: »
    One respec token costs around 240,000 AD. I know people at level 40ish that don't even have that much. At level 22 I don't even have 50,000.

People who say, "BUT YOU CAN BUY IT WITH AD" are full of <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.

No sir you are full of <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. i made an enchant and sold it on the AH and made over 260k in 1 day. There is so many ways of making AD in this game. stop being slack and making a reason to complain about A FREE GAME
  • Options
    thevlakathevlaka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

THIS.
    Gold for respecs or gtfo crytpic/pwe scum cash guzzlers.
  • Options
    h3rflikh3rflik Member Posts: 20
    edited May 2013
    The game is pay2win, even site that review MMO's write that openly about neverwinter online. Thats nothing new, you either accept that or not. The problem will never wanish in this game, its just decision of the publisher and devs to make it so from the start, before the game even started production.
    Anyway this game gonna shutdown in around 1 year, so dont worry about it.

People who defend that this game is not pay2win must never ever played a good game in their life, neither know the word pay2win.
    Pay2win means the publisher offer product that make your game much more easier, by saving time, farming, gear. There is small degree that is acceptable by most players in long term games like +25% drop rate boost or +25% more exp in grindy games. Anything above that could be overdone and stated as pay2win.
    There is no term as pay2savetime or whatever you wanna name that. Time = money = power. So stop making up terms if you dont know what you are talking about.
  • Options
    missusmissus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    And this is why Champions Online (Cryptic's first mmo) was such a huge flop - it was a box price, a monthly sub, AND you had to pay either huge amounts of in game currency to respec OR buy a respec from the cash shop.

And they probably couldn't figure out why people were so pissed off when they had plunked down a $200 lifetime sub and were still expected to shell out to respec their characters :)
  • Options
    spyke2009spyke2009 Member Posts: 674 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    imivo wrote: »

On a serious note, 225k a day is quick at the moment. T2 epic gear sells well still, praying gives you blue wards that you can sell for up to 100k and there are also other AH methods that work very well even at low levels, but I'm not going to share those here -- or everyone will do it.

But that said, I agree that respecs should be available as a base feature. I don't agree that this makes the game "p2w", because you get more power points than you actually need to have a "perfect" build, there is still a lot of debate going on what is "best". Feats can be respecced with AD. The hardest content has already been beaten and I'm not sure everyone had the mathematically best setup or build, because we don't know yet what that even is. So, all the content is very realistically accessible to everyone, even if you never contribute to the game's upkeep and development.

There is nothing to win, and besides, respec tokens are very inexpensive and you can reasonably earn them by playing the game. I still think respeccing should be offered for free, but at the same time I also don't think it's a big issue unless you're a guide writer or theorycrafter.

Another great post, you're pretty much the only one with any sort of compelling counter argument.

However this once again comes back to the crux of all issues, which is simply that we have to as a community ascertain if they (PWE/Cryptic) sell power. If we all agree that it's not the sale of power, that's fine. If they do sell power then while not pay to win, it's pay to obtain power, that doesn't matter if someone else can "eventually" grind and scalp enough AD to obtain said power, it's the fact they sell it in the first place which gets on the nerves of many people.

Pricing is one thing, subjective opinion on what "Pay to win" is another, but the sale of power is largely considered an undesirable montization practice. But it's somewhat of a subjective one. And it's also quite important to consider just how long one CAN realistically catch up to a cash shop user (if power is sold) and if they can remain RELEVANT in terms of stats. It might not DESTROY the game or make it unplayable, but it's still bad design and more than a little imbalanced, considering there are other approaches to monetization, it makes me wonder why go with this one?
    djleber wrote: »
    No sir you are full of <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. i made an enchant and sold it on the AH and made over 260k in 1 day. There is so many ways of making AD in this game. stop being slack and making a reason to complain about A FREE GAME

and the flip side of the coin, the TERRIBLE counter argument, first of all if you're going to come on so strong in your argument, PROVE your points, else given your attitude people will be forgiven for actually ignoring the claims or finding them incredulous. Second of all FREE does NOT have to equal BAD. The arguments about the monetization are NOT negated by the fact it's free. At all. Ever. Period.
    That's childish logic.
  • Options
    blackdevilnlblackdevilnl Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't see how failing your own char makes the whole game pay to win... On another note, yes it's a little bit pay to win at the moment and it will be much and much worse in less than a year. But hey, what do you expect? It's a ftp game from PWE, been like that for at least 5 years now.
  • Options
    lyokiralyokira Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    On a separate note, how long as this game been out? I'd be snarky and suggest simply REROLLING.
  • Options
    pilotmikepilotmike Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    imivo wrote: »

As for T2 gear selling well, sure right now it does for those who paid to play early and got a jump. By the time the masses get to L60 the AH will turn into one big constipated log jam and nothing will move just like the D3 AH.

That said, the game was free. Most MMOs you'd spend 60 for the game and 15/month to play. Your options are
    1: delete and reroll
    2: spend the time to get AD and trade for zen
    3: play as-rolled (and really, I can eff up a 1 car funeral but 4 seconds of reading and you'd have understood how the power mechanic worked)
    4: spend what amounts to 2 cups of starbucks coffee on a respec token

3 of these 4 options let you respec without spending a dime. To me the OP is just sport b*tching.
This discussion has been closed.