What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Zen only respec makes this game pay-to-win

Comments

• Options
    deathknightx1082deathknightx1082 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I still think when it's "open beta" that respecs shouldn't be charged, just because some skills are still bugged or broken. If the game was live already then I could care less if they charged or not. That's just MHO.
  • Options
    riven84riven84 Member, Banned Users Posts: 574 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I still think when it's "open beta" that respecs shouldn't be charged, just because some skills are still bugged or broken. If the game was live already then I could care less if they charged or not. That's just MHO.

The game is live.
  • Options
    terradraconisterradraconis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    riven84 wrote: »
    Wrong.

/10char

No I'm afraid you are.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    gorbulasgorbulas Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    1. the game more or less launched already when they have a cash shop up. open beta is an excuse from f2p publishers like pwe to not compensate the money lost from bugs.
    2. zen doesn't magically appear in-game. someone has to buy it. if you buy it using AD, you bought it off someone that paid for it. pwe can care less where the money is coming from as long as they are getting paid.
    3. why would someone reroll when they can easily quit? its not as easy to level as you think it is. if you don't exploit the foundry or play all day, it will take a few months maybe to reach endgame.
    4. just sit back and relax. enjoy the game as it is. if you take a f2p seriously, its going to be more expensive than a sub game. thats what the f2p model is based on.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    No I'm afraid you are.

Okay bro, keep dreaming.
  • Options
    flayedawgflayedawg Member Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    wondyr wrote: »
    When it states 20 points to unlock it means you have to spend 20 points in the tree then when you go to spend point 21 you can apply it to the skill for rank 3.

Yes, this. I'm level 27, & have many of my skills at rank 3. I'm not sure what the OP was thinking.
    Fare you well
    Let your life proceed by its own designs
    Nothing to tell
    Let the words be yours, I'm done with mine ...
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    The game is live.

true but it's still open beta, the word beta still basically mean its in a test phase.
  • Options
    flayedawgflayedawg Member Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You don't need a respec token to respec your powers or your feats. Each of those tabs has a respec button that if you hit will charge you Astral Diamonds.

I just checked this. You can respec FEATS without a token; there's a button on the lower-left which will cost you some 19k ADs to respec feats.

There is no such button on the POWERS tab; only a button marked "buy a respec token," & another one marked "view paths."
    Fare you well
    Let your life proceed by its own designs
    Nothing to tell
    Let the words be yours, I'm done with mine ...
  • Options
    mutharexmutharex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Okay bro, keep dreaming.

You can respec your feats for AD
    You can respec powers for respec tokens. BTW I just tried and when I tried the powers it told me that I had one purchased respec token. I never bought that, not sure if it was part of the Guardian package or not. Anyone else can bother to check if they have one?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    true but it's still open beta, the word beta still basically mean its in a test phase.

The game is live and everything you do is permanent. The exact meaning of the word 'beta' is irrelevant here, given my previous statement. Don't fool yourself.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    mutharex wrote: »

Yes, and that is not what the other guy was claiming.
    You can respec powers for respec tokens. BTW I just tried and when I tried the powers it told me that I had one purchased respec token. I never bought that, not sure if it was part of the Guardian package or not.

It is.
  • Options
    gorbulasgorbulas Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You can respec powers for respec tokens. BTW I just tried and when I tried the powers it told me that I had one purchased respec token. I never bought that, not sure if it was part of the Guardian package or not. Anyone else can bother to check if they have one?
    Don't mean to be rude but don't you know what you bought? It came with the Guardian package. You can easily check on the founders package site too. If you're too lazy to check that, heres the direct link. http://nw.perfectworld.com/founderspack/guardian . It clearly says 1 respec token
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    The game is live and everything you do is permanent. The exact meaning of the word 'beta' is irrelevant here, given my previous statement. Don't fool yourself.

Now that I think about it I'm pretty sure even Rift wiped everything after open beta, so my bad.
  • Options
    mutharexmutharex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    gorbulas wrote: »
    Don't mean to be rude but don't you know what you bought? It came with the Guardian package. You can easily check on the founders package site too. If you're too lazy to check that, heres the direct link. http://nw.perfectworld.com/founderspack/guardian . It clearly says 1 respec token

I bought the pack for the AD, the mount and the pet/weapon. The rest was sort of extra and didn't really memorize it. But hey, nice surprise. Though I really don't see myself respeccing STATS and Powers really
  • Options
    pilotmikepilotmike Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    spyke2009 wrote: »
    That's not a request either. Drop the attitude, or "get over yourself" and stop responding to my posts.

LOL, Like you could actually DO something if he didn't comply with what must be a "command" and not a request. I don't even know what you're jabbering about, but if there's somebody here with an attitude...
  • Options
    alex3omgalex3omg Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    thehadriel wrote: »
    To begin, let me say that I thought I needed 20 points to unlock the third rank of a power. Apparently this is not true. I am now level 45 with rank 2 in every power. This is not good. I will now be inferior to every single wizard in the game. How do I fix this? Spend $6. Spend $6 and be up to par with the other wizards. Even if I didn't make the mistake of unlocking rank 2 of every power, I still would have made some mistakes in powers I didn't want.

The cash shop as it is currently is ridiculous. It is pay-to-win. Cosmetic stuff? Dyes? Outfits? Mounts? Astral Diamonds? Companions? Fine. But the ability to respec? That's just way over the line. Cryptic, you're restricting us from choosing our skills. Please change this.

Actually selling Astral Diamonds... it's money, right? The auction house has power items too I assume, so selling AD is selling power as well.

I'm glad I heard about this respecc stuff before I got too far along. In WoW I would throw my points in willy-nilly without any research and then respecc at higher level. I guess I'll have to think it through (which isn't as much fun as experimenting.. and what's good for leveling isn't necessarily what's good at endgame.) But I doubt I'll be endgaming in a game where power can be bought so it'snotabigdeal
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Whether this statement is true or not, (and to me it seems pretty clear with the ZEN store open and no future wipes what the reality is), you might want to be careful stating your opinion on these forums. A mod has stated that he considers PWE position that it is Open Beta to be correct regardless and that any threads discussing it may be sanctioned.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Rift is a P2P game and those almost always wipe after OB and then launch teh game.

F2P games usually use OB as a soft launch. There is not going to be any wipe
  • Options
    chai23chai23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Indeed, but you implied that you have farm ~1616 shards, which is far from the most efficient way to do it without paying. At least be honest about that.

Without using the store? Nope.

And this is ONE ASPECT of the game remember. More consideration has to be given to ALL ASPECTS - which completely nullifies the "you can get it in game free" argument as it places it so far into the realm of absurd time based grind, that by the time all things that could be paid for are obtained through grinding, many of them will be obsolete.

There are aspects of monitizing MMOs that turn off many customers, and many of them have been repeated so many times Im surprised MMOs still come out doing many of these things - and the most repeated counter argument Ive heard, the "you can get it in game" argument, becomes absurd when everything is added up. Here are some of the most popular ones.

1. Never sell power. Oops, screwed up on this one. The amount of grind needed to get the same power per toon makes the "you can have it for free" argument laughable.

2. Make it simple. Changing widgets to smidgets to idijits to coins to convert to plat, which can then be sold for credits, then converted to gold bars, just to get an item free....is hilarious. comparing buying -vs- farming for stuff in a game shouldnt be a fourth grade extra credit math problem.

3. Dont make it so hard (time consuming) for free palyers that they want to leave. Yes, games can survive financially on whales alone, however they dont hang around if the game turns into a ghost town because the small percentage of big spenders are the only ones left. Who else spends hundreds of dollars in small time periods to play when there are still games where 15 dollars a month will suffice.

4. Dont charge for human error. Someone tried an ability and now changed their mind. Pay or grind to change it to something else is discouraging at best, pushing customers away at worst.

5. Dont charge for changing the game. That build might be good now, but in any game with any focus on PVP whatsoever, they deal with rebalancing and such. Making players pay or grind to correct design mistakes that needed to be nerfed later on is foolish. And heaven forbid they buff something, and now players who passed on it before want it now - pay up or grind is a mistake here.
  • Options
    eshlaeshla Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There are already a ton of ninjas in this game. I play a wizard and asked a GWF why he needed on gear for a wizard. The whole group started treating me like I was a **** and told me "all gear is for everybody, that's why we can all roll on it."
  • Options
    bzzzdbzzzd Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    chai23 wrote: »
    Without using the store? Nope.

but you can. that's the point. whining about OMG IT COSTS MONEY TO GET BIS OR I HAVE TO GRIND (which how many people in other mmos have?) is especially ridiculous when completely ignoring that the GAME IS FREE ( <- this is important context )

also, implying that converting AD to zen is complicated, come on...

and please do some research next time, after a major skill balance cryptic handed out free respecs repeatedly.
  • Options
    spacejewspacejew Member Posts: 1,044 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    My issue with the AD cost for a respec is that it's constantly going up. I'm always behind the curve to get a respec. Make it a flat cost no matter what level you are, I'd rather not wait for level 60 to have a chance to earn enough for one.

That being said, it's double AD so maybe I can catch the AD cost now. It's stupid that double AD might be what it takes though.
    MoF/Thaum CW SS/Thaum CW IV/Protector GF SW/Combat HR SM/Destroyer GWF WK/Executioner TR DO/Faithful DC
  • Options
    spyke2009spyke2009 Member Posts: 674 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    pilotmike wrote: »
    LOL, Like you could actually DO something if he didn't comply with what must be a "command" and not a request. I don't even know what you're jabbering about, but if there's somebody here with an attitude...

I've already DONE what I was supposed to do on the matter, and it wasn't a "command" it was a "warning" and he/she did not listen to it and failed to cut the crappy attitude or simply stop responding to me which was part of said warning, I'm well within my rights as a poster here to "warn" you, for example. That continuing the antagonistic <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> will just lead me to take it up with the "powers that be" no one said I was, or had to do anything "personally" other than what I'm supposed to do when faced with flame baiting and trolling. I hardly think I'm the only player that's done it either in this regard, as a lot of rivens posts are complete and utter flame bait. I would hazard a guess that you're no better yourself... given you're defending the behavior.
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Win the e-peen contest, duh :)

Not getting that...this simply isn''t that kind of game yet I see the raider locust screaming for 'Their end game" and trying like mad to turn this into wow.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Not getting that...this simply isn''t that kind of game yet I see the raider locust screaming for 'Their end game" and trying like mad to turn this into wow.

Nothing new, it happens every time a new game comes out. You'd think this (or STO for what matters) would be the least possible targets due to their nature, but it still happens it seems
  • Options
    bzzzdbzzzd Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    spacejew wrote: »
    My issue with the AD cost for a respec is that it's constantly going up. I'm always behind the curve to get a respec. Make it a flat cost no matter what level you are, I'd rather not wait for level 60 to have a chance to earn enough for one.

ad -> zen is capped at 500. so a FULL respec (which includes everything) will never be more than 300.000. and you can always respec feats for ad directly, which is cheaper but scales with level.
    Nothing new, it happens every time a new game comes out. You'd think this (or STO for what matters) would be the least possible targets due to their nature, but it still happens it seems

well, I just pity them, with the need of a constant item treadmill to keep them happy.
  • Options
    vitadrink469vitadrink469 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    spacejew wrote: »

That being said, it's double AD so maybe I can catch the AD cost now. It's stupid that double AD might be what it takes though.

Wtf is this guy talking about? I don't know what server you're playing on, but if you are playing on Dragon server the AD cost for a respec (zen) is actually getting cheaper (going down, not up). First few days, AD to Zen rate was 500:1
    Now the AD to Zen rate is about 370:1
    I don't see how it is going up... seems to me it is going down and it will continue to go down. Only time it will spike up, is when there is new OP (which there isn't atm) items sold in the cash shop that everyone will need to progress or play the game.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I don't see how it is going up... seems to me it is going down and it will continue to go down. Only time it will spike up, is when there is new OP (which there isn't atm) items sold in the cash shop that everyone will need to progress or play the game.

price will rise again when new content is released, more people will try to convert ad -> zen than the other way around. right now it's more or less balance between the people farming their zen ingame and people spending them for ad to get their epics out of the AH.

but you can do plenty of foundries and level chars without giving a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> about the shop. new classes are supposed to be free (although they might do it like the drow, pay now or get it free later), so only thing maybe relevant would be char slots - unless you don't just create another account.
  • Options
    chai23chai23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    bzzzd wrote: »
    but you can. that's the point. whining about OMG IT COSTS MONEY TO GET BIS OR I HAVE TO GRIND (which how many people in other mmos have?) is especially ridiculous when completely ignoring that the GAME IS FREE ( <- this is important context )

also, implying that converting AD to zen is complicated, come on...

and please do some research next time, after a major skill balance cryptic handed out free respecs repeatedly.

Ive done all the research needed, thank you.

When you look at how much time is saved by paying, the only thing rediculous is defending p2w. Its not whining when you do a realistic objective analysis of the situation and come to the conclusion that paying gives a huge advantage over grinding for a year or more to attain the things that someone can have by paying today. Overgeneralizing the "the game is free" argument is absurd when you do the comparison of ALL ASPECTS rather than overfocusing on one thing, which is what every single defense of p2w does.

I also did not imply (you guys and your imply LOL) that conversions were complicated. I LITERALLY STATED it was like a 4th grade extra credit math problem. If that is what you call complicated....

No need to attack interpretations and implications when you can address what was ACTUALLY STATED - but this cant be done while refuting the point made, because the point made is too solid to refute. The time consumption expected to get EVERYTHING free compared to paying for it makes the "it can be had free" argument completely absurd.
  • Options
    thehadrielthehadriel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    moonhammer wrote: »
    The fact that so many posts about the respec and in game talk about it costing Zen to respec means this is a problem. I think Cryptic should just give in and change this make there customers happy so they can keep them instead of chasing them away. The more customers you have the more money you make you don't make money off pissed of customers that have moved on to something else.
    Do you really think they would change it? Making it cost gold instead would earn Cryptic a lot of respec-t and make a lot of players happy.
This discussion has been closed.