Install Arc
Options

Zen only respec makes this game pay-to-win

Comments

• Options
    riven84riven84 Member, Banned Users Posts: 574 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    spyke2009 wrote: »
    the sale of power is largely considered an undesirable montization practice.

And yet, even triple-A titles/developers/publishers are adopting this model. Example: ArenaNet/NCSoft with GW2.

It's the future, like it or not. Not long from now the vast majority of MMOs will have this system, so you might as well get used to it and get over yourself and just have fun without worrying about being competitive.
  • Options
    silestesileste Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is why you learn to read and understand your class before you go and do stupid things. Respeccing is not p2w. There are plently of other games that don't let you redo skills, stats, and/or feats. Be glad there is a such thing at all. If you're going to QQ about something being pay2win, at least make some sense. Pointless thread

/endthreadplzthx
    NWDC-2_zps52f863ab.png
  • Options
    imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    shahualing wrote: »
    That's funny, I can't sell anything on the AH, not even Enchants. You must have sold an enchant that is above rank 5, which you need a wardstone (cash shop) to make?

You can get the blue wards by invoking. You get one every 7 days if that is what you spend you coins on (the ones that only stack to 7). They are also under 100k in the AH, so maybe he was smart and bought one, fused to rank 6 or 7, and tripled his investment. It's like in RL: Opportunities are equal. People are not.
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • Options
    beaghan1beaghan1 Member Posts: 404 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    you've played how long now? game is pretty new, if it's that big a deal and you can't buy the zen reroll and do it better the 2nd time.
  • Options
    djleberdjleber Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    That's funny, I can't sell anything on the AH, not even Enchants. You must have sold an enchant that is above rank 5, which you need a wardstone (cash shop) to make?

People need to stop and realize that people don't have time, want, or desire to make this game their life in order to be moderately successful at gathering AD.

do people not realise that blue wards can be bought on the AH for around 80k AD last i checked? i did not pay any zen for my ward. 1 i got from a pack the other i paid AD for which i earnt by selling gear from dungeons
  • Options
    professorzprofessorz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    thehadriel wrote: »
    To begin, let me say that I thought I needed 20 points to unlock the third rank of a power. Apparently this is not true. I am now level 45 with rank 2 in every power. This is not good. I will now be inferior to every single wizard in the game. How do I fix this? Spend $6. Spend $6 and be up to par with the other wizards. Even if I didn't make the mistake of unlocking rank 2 of every power, I still would have made some mistakes in powers I didn't want.

The cash shop as it is currently is ridiculous. It is pay-to-win. Cosmetic stuff? Dyes? Outfits? Mounts? Astral Diamonds? Companions? Fine. But the ability to respec? That's just way over the line. Cryptic, you're restricting us from choosing our skills. Please change this.

you dont have to pay one cent to respec... you farm your daily astrals and exchange for zen.. derp.

On a side note. this game is made after D&D. there is no respec.
  • Options
    alantir1alantir1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    People, but what did you expect from a Korean game?
    We all knew what we were getting into.
  • Options
    imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    alantir1 wrote: »
    People, but what did you expect from a Korean game? We all knew what we were getting into.

Neither PWE, the publisher, nor Cryptic, the developer, are Korean. Cryptic is an US company.
  • Options
    mythrildragonmythrildragon Member Posts: 138 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    To begin, let me say that I thought I needed 20 points to unlock the third rank of a power. Apparently this is not true. I am now level 45 with rank 2 in every power. This is not good. I will now be inferior to every single wizard in the game. How do I fix this? Spend $6. Spend $6 and be up to par with the other wizards.

...or reroll your character now that you know what you're doing, or spend abit of time looking on forums asking questions, searching the wiki...etc.

that being said, there should be a free character use only respec given once per character at either lv10 or 60. all other games that charge for respecs have abit of saving grace that way, and given the fact that this is a beta and alot of the mechanics are still being figured out, and skill descriptions are inacurate at best respecs should be given per char if not a second cus of beta.
  • Options
    ravinravin Member Posts: 587 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    alantir1 wrote: »
    People, but what did you expect from a Korean game?
    We all knew what we were getting into.

Uh...this isn't a Korean game. PW is a Chinese company. That aside, Cryptic is an American company.
    =\/= ================================ =\/=
    Centurion maximus92
    12th Legion, Romulan Republic
    12th Fleet

=\/= ================================ =\/=
  • Options
    spyke2009spyke2009 Member Posts: 674 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    riven84 wrote: »
    And yet, even triple-A titles/developers/publishers are adopting this model. Example: ArenaNet/NCSoft with GW2.

It's the future, like it or not. Not long from now the vast majority of MMOs will have this system, so you might as well get used to it and get over yourself and just have fun without worrying about being competitive.

GW2 was a B2P model with a box price, I eventually left because the game vastly underperformed and failed to deliver on the evolutionary game mechanics and whatnot that it claimed to offer, it was still a grind fest at endgame despite it's manifesto claiming otherwise and they took short cut after short cut on the game, they removed the trinity and failed to offer anything with enough substance to replace it save for "lfg all zerkers 4 warriors 1 mez"

Their cash shop could have and SHOULD have been filled with vanity and cosmetic items, instead it was lockboxes and garbage, and ONE alternate armor skin that was usable once, for each class... they clearly started out with a great idea, and then Nexon suddenly got involved in the financial pie, and then miraculously an ex nexon director was drafted to their monetization team.

There's been more than enough backlash over the shortcomings of GW2, it's not hard to find them and their forums, much like this, were filled with thousand page threads, on drop issues that were then after snarky condescending remarks from their staff, confirmed to be ACTUALLY JUSTIFIED, as the bugs existed.

Also drop the thinly veiled ad hominem <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> too. My opinions are my own, the stance I have is one born of experience and I don't need to get over myself, and don't try and do what you've done with other folks here and make it your business to talk <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> to me. That's not a request either. Drop the attitude, or "get over yourself" and stop responding to my posts.
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    pilotmike wrote: »
    As for T2 gear selling well, sure right now it does for those who paid to play early and got a jump. By the time the masses get to L60 the AH will turn into one big constipated log jam and nothing will move just like the D3 AH.

Yep. "AD is easy, just sell all your l33t epixxxx!" only works when you're one of the lead people obtaining and selling those. (And in an AD-rich environment, with the large pool of Founder AD out there.) In six months, when everyone's 60 & epic'd, and the only "new" AD in the economy is from the daily refining, getting the (for ex) 2mil AD for a tier 3 mount upgrade will be..... interesting.
  • Options
    roxian878roxian878 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Wouldn't call it pay to win... This is a pay to make **** easier ingame. Eventually, anyone can get everything, those who just refuse or are unable to spend real munniez on it are just gonna have their things later ingame as those who do. It's like the people who bought the founders pack, sure they got a headstart now, but in a few days/weeks a lot of players will be equal to them... Doesn't matter.

I must admit tho, I'm used to vanity items only beeing available in stores, like mounts, pets, silly items like hats or glasses... But since I just totally cba to spend my money on ingame things I did what I had to do, play the AH and get my AD for my respec. It goes fast enough if you just check all the buy-outs, undercut nicely, see what sells well, keep track... The zen-respec on the other hand... It'll take me a little bit longer to get cause the economy atm still is ****ty, since people are still trying to get rid of their zen of ridiculous amounts of AD. But eventually that will settle as well, it has been decreasing every day, little by little.

Conclusion : it's doable and I don't care if it's changed or not, either the farm way or the *immediately* way, up to you...
  • Options
    djleberdjleber Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    True, I expected it when coming into it. Just the staggering amount of people willing to bend over and be happy about it, even say how awesome it is...is bewildering.

Why complain on the forums then? just stop playing it - and yes i see your troll about it being korean
  • Options
    neolitheneolithe Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'd be alright with them removing the zen price in exchange for 100g instead. That way you still need to take the time to earn it and you can't "pay to win" it.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    imivo wrote: »
    Neither PWE, the publisher, nor Cryptic, the developer, are Korean. Cryptic is an US company.

Indeed, and before someone brings up Perfect World, the parent company... they are Chinese, not Korean.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    spyke2009 wrote: »
    GW2 was a B2P model with a box price, I eventually left because the game vastly underperformed and failed to deliver on the evolutionary game mechanics and whatnot that it claimed to offer, it was still a grind fest at endgame despite it's manifesto claiming otherwise and they took short cut after short cut on the game, they removed the trinity and failed to offer anything with enough substance to replace it save for "lfg all zerkers 4 warriors 1 mez"

Their cash shop could have and SHOULD have been filled with vanity and cosmetic items, instead it was lockboxes and garbage, and ONE alternate armor skin that was usable once, for each class... they clearly started out with a great idea, and then Nexon suddenly got involved in the financial pie, and then miraculously an ex nexon director was drafted to their monetization team.

There's been more than enough backlash over the shortcomings of GW2, it's not hard to find them and their forums, much like this, were filled with thousand page threads, on drop issues that were then after snarky condescending remarks from their staff, confirmed to be ACTUALLY JUSTIFIED, as the bugs existed.

Also drop the thinly veiled ad hominem <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> too. My opinions are my own, the stance I have is one born of experience and I don't need to get over myself, and don't try and do what you've done with other folks here and make it your business to talk <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> to me. That's not a request either. Drop the attitude, or "get over yourself" and stop responding to my posts.

Of course it's a request, what else could it be? Are you just trying to make yourself look silly or what?

Anyway, I'm not quite sure what your GW2 tirade is trying to say. Well done or not, this is the future. No problem if you don't believe me; you'll see. :)
  • Options
    drenchkatdrenchkat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    To begin, let me say that I thought I needed 20 points to unlock the third rank of a power. Apparently this is not true. I am now level 45 with rank 2 in every power. This is not good. I will now be inferior to every single wizard in the game. How do I fix this? Spend $6. Spend $6 and be up to par with the other wizards. Even if I didn't make the mistake of unlocking rank 2 of every power, I still would have made some mistakes in powers I didn't want.

The cash shop as it is currently is ridiculous. It is pay-to-win. Cosmetic stuff? Dyes? Outfits? Mounts? Astral Diamonds? Companions? Fine. But the ability to respec? That's just way over the line. Cryptic, you're restricting us from choosing our skills. Please change this.

FYI $6 right now is about 200,000 AD... how about you do some quests, do some PvP, and EARN it. Also want to point out....

"Even if I didnt make the mistake"

So because of your mistakes in selecting class features you blame the company for being money hungry? Maybe you should try a little harder and play the game. As easy as this game may be, it seems to not be EASY ENOUGH for those who want to complain about something that takes a little work.... smh.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    djleber wrote: »
    Why complain on the forums then? just stop playing it - and yes i see your troll about it being korean

Why complain about anything that fails to live up to what you believe to be it's full potential then?

I'm sure a lot of parents would be asking themselves the same thing, if they were bad parents xD Besides he didn't say he doesn't want to play the game, he didn't say it was bad, he just said the monetization held it back and sucked.

That's why your argument is a straw man, you're not counter arguing him, you're just arguing against something he DIDN'T say.

Some of the development teams for the games PWE are in fact Korean based originally, PWE is considered a north american company specialized in bringing games from china to western markets.

That's where he's getting confused, but there is...undoubtedly a very eastern feel to the practices of monetization in their games, that's undeniable.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    neolithe wrote: »
    I'd be alright with them removing the zen price in exchange for 100g instead. That way you still need to take the time to earn it and you can't "pay to win" it.

You're joking, right?

Making the AD required for buying the Zen takes less time (if you are level 60) than making 100 gold.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    riven84 wrote: »
    Of course it's a request, what else could it be? Are you just trying to make yourself look silly or what?

Anyway, I'm not quite sure what your GW2 tirade is trying to say. Well done or not, this is the future. No problem if you don't believe me; you'll see. :)

What I mean is, drop the flame bait attitude and badly veiled ad hominem or I'll take the decision out of your hands. I'm not "asking" I'm "warning" you. You can IGNORE that warning, that's fine, don't care. But then that's out of my hands then and up to a moderator to decide if your toxic responses to both mine and other players posts warrant suspension.

My point in the GW2 critique, was a counter argument to your post that it was "the future" of monetization, some form of it may continue on in a truly successful game, I'll give you that, but it won't be anywhere NEAR as bad, and NWO are not that much closer to the right model "in my opinion" not when there's better options, they'll coast by due to being a solid game with familiar mechanics and lore, but will fall short due to the selling power issues, which I know are subjective, but a lot of things are.

I reckon we're done here, if you do feel the sudden urge to respond to me again, just make sure you try and do so in a civil manner. thanks for playing.

Ciao.
  • Options
    lerdocixlerdocix Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    How is that a day's work? It took me forever to make 50k AD.
    Learn to AH then?
    I had 300k AD by level 32.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    That's reasonable...however 100gold probably is a little over blown. 50 gold is probably more reasonable. It's hard to get, but you don't have to farm with a broken build forever to get it.

Not really. My CW, who did all zones and all quests, had just over 50g when he hit 60. After two weeks of T2s, he has about 30g left. Potions and kits are expensive when you have no good income source fir gold. In the same time, I made enough ADs for several respecs. Quite a few respecs, actually.

I still think respeccing should be a basic feature. Or maybe everyone should get a free respec token at level 30 and 60.
  • Options
    neolitheneolithe Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well, you guys want to complain about it taking forever to earn the ad, well, if we make it in game currency that takes forever, then it's no longer pay to win. There is a guy in my guild with like 40g, so I wanted a high number to be slightly unreasonable.
This discussion has been closed.