test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Rokuthy's Hybrid Tanking Build (GF) for End Game PvE (and PvP) content.

Comments

• notniltonnotnilton Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hi there rokuthy... You said that with some slight adjustments Envy's DPS build could be used for tanking. So, i was wondering which adjustments would you make in order to do that? Im very interested in that...

thanks a lot, man!
  • solidwolfysolidwolfy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I went for 14str/19con/13dex

Will I feel less power or is that minimal? ( as in worthless to reroll for )

rokuthy wrote: »
    16/16/12 - 2 human bonus into con, so ended with:

16 str 18 con 12 dex
  • elanithelanith Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Very minimal, so much so its a non factor. ^_^
  • rokuthyrokuthy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 179 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    synozeer wrote: »
    I've got the chest for Grand Regent set. Let me know if you're interested.

Thanks fellas, I've had the regent chest for a while though. It's the other 3 pieces that need to drop. ><
    @rokuthy on Mindflayer
    Play my foundry campaign, Vermilion: Spirit of Gevaudan. The first quest, The Desperate Messenger is now available @ NWS-DM44FZM2W
  • rokuthyrokuthy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 179 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    notnilton wrote: »
    Hi there rokuthy... You said that with some slight adjustments Envy's DPS build could be used for tanking. So, i was wondering which adjustments would you make in order to do that? Im very interested in that...

thanks a lot, man!

The adjustments I'd make are basically what this guide is all about. Our specs have become even closer than before, so really our guides are just boiling down to two different discussions about the same spec. He discusses DPS, I discuss tanking. Beyond that, the difference is marginal.
    @rokuthy on Mindflayer
    Play my foundry campaign, Vermilion: Spirit of Gevaudan. The first quest, The Desperate Messenger is now available @ NWS-DM44FZM2W
  • sand1972sand1972 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 69
    edited May 2013
    Rokuthy,

I just switched from the turtle build to this one. Have to admit Im worried about missing the instant-daily ability of Into The Fray. How fast are your dailies coming up with this build, since you say you arent using it?
    edited May 2013
    sand1972 wrote: »
    Rokuthy,

I just switched from the turtle build to this one. Have to admit Im worried about missing the instant-daily ability of Into The Fray. How fast are your dailies coming up with this build, since you say you arent using it?

They still come up fast enough, just make sure you use frontline on as large a clump as possible, then same with your taunt. It'll take like 1 extra frontline for a daily to pop, that's about it. It's nothing game breaking, but if you want to use frontline, then by all means continue to do so. It doesn't change the build, you just replace lunging strike with frontline and keep on like that.
    @rokuthy on Mindflayer
  • arktourosxarktourosx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 177 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Rokuthy:

With the amount of recovery you're slotting and with the 10% cool downs what kind of reuse times do you see on your abilities?

Also I recently was able to snag a Troll Hammer for pretty cheap on a bid as the cool down ran out. Out of the weapons we can use, which one do you think is best? The crit on the scimitar seems pretty good but so do the defensive stats of the Hammer.

Also weapon enchant thoughts? I was thinking Holy Avenger or Lightning.
    nwsignature.jpg
    edited May 2013
    arktourosx wrote: »
    Rokuthy:

With the amount of recovery you're slotting and with the 10% cool downs what kind of reuse times do you see on your abilities?

Also I recently was able to snag a Troll Hammer for pretty cheap on a bid as the cool down ran out. Out of the weapons we can use, which one do you think is best? The crit on the scimitar seems pretty good but so do the defensive stats of the Hammer.

Also weapon enchant thoughts? I was thinking Holy Avenger or Lightning.

My lunging strike is 5.9 second cool down and enforced threat is 11.2. I personally use the Scim at the moment, but the hammer is fine. T2 weapons should start popping up soon, I know I saw a couple on mindflayer earlier.

I use greater plague fire for weaopn (45% defense reduction at full stack).

And also, Castle Never - first 3 bosses:

TYTV4hK.jpg

And still tanking...

vV3jar9.jpg

Spec is so good.
    @rokuthy on Mindflayer
  • arktourosxarktourosx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 177 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    rokuthy wrote: »
    My lunging strike is 5.9 second cool down and enforced threat is 11.2. I personally use the Scim at the moment, but the hammer is fine. T2 weapons should start popping up soon, I know I saw a couple on mindflayer earlier.

I use greater plague fire for weaopn (45% defense reduction at full stack).

Well I don't think your average person is going to see those kinds of numbers and performance until they get the 4/4 Tier 1 bonus. That's pretty much your bread and butter since it seems like it increases your Power by around 7500 or so I'm guesstimating (depends on how much +HP you got on your accessories). In fact I was surprised you slot Recovery as much as you did (since AP gain is already massive as is and the cool down timers seem only a few seconds difference) instead of more +HP in gems since 25% of the HP you gain would be turned into power basically making each Rank 7 Radiant Enchantment into +740 HP AND +185 Power. That's pretty crazy for one gem slot with your armor on.

Honestly I can't see them leaving the armor the way it is in game. I mean with 30,000 HP (very easy to do) that's +7500 Power which puts us leagues ahead of just about any other class. Even without it I'm managing to keep pace in Tier 1s. I should probably find a guild/group and get Epic Lair done for the helm (the only one on the AH is listed for 1.1m haha).
    nwsignature.jpg
    edited May 2013
    arktourosx wrote: »
    Well I don't think your average person is going to see those kinds of numbers and performance until they get the 4/4 Tier 1 bonus. That's pretty much your bread and butter since it seems like it increases your Power by around 7500 or so I'm guesstimating (depends on how much +HP you got on your accessories). In fact I was surprised you slot Recovery as much as you did (since AP gain is already massive as is and the cool down timers seem only a few seconds difference) instead of more +HP in gems since 25% of the HP you gain would be turned into power basically making each Rank 7 Radiant Enchantment into +740 HP AND +185 Power. That's pretty crazy for one gem slot with your armor on.

Honestly I can't see them leaving the armor the way it is in game. I mean with 30,000 HP (very easy to do) that's +7500 Power which puts us leagues ahead of just about any other class. Even without it I'm managing to keep pace in Tier 1s. I should probably find a guild/group and get Epic Lair done for the helm (the only one on the AH is listed for 1.1m haha).

There isn't a choice between gemming HP and gemming recovery; the choice is between recovery and pure power, and since my power is coming from my 4 piece, I don't need to gem radiants in offensive slots... so I go with recovery. I'm already gemming for pure HP in defensive slots - I'm at 34k hp.

With that being said, this is my hybrid tanking gear setup. I can go pure DPS gear, have about 7,000 power with 15% more crit and put out just as much damage, I just take a little more. Either way is viable, but I prefer the extra durability from the 4700 defense I have. (Going pure dps gear drops my defense to around 2000). The point is though, my 4 piece is really, really nice, but not necessary to put out the sort of damage you see me putting out (take a look at any other DPS guardian). I just gear the way I do because I prefer to tank first and DPS second.
    @rokuthy on Mindflayer
  • leoneheartleoneheart Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    what about the stats which stats did you put into your guardian?
  • scumroachscumroach Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Do you recommend any armor sets for this build?
    edited May 2013
    leoneheart wrote: »
    what about the stats which stats did you put into your guardian?

16/16/12, 2 human bonus in con, so 18 con 16 str 12 dex was my start.
    scumroach wrote: »
    Do you recommend any armor sets for this build?

Multiple sets are viable. The Stalwart Bulwark is incredibly strong - it'll give you 25% of your max HP as power whenever you're being hit by mobs (which should be always). I think the Grand Regent (direct upgrade to Stalwart) is pretty strong as well. You won't get as high of a power bonus, but you'll get 20% of your defense as power, which isn't too bad either.

You could also just go mix matched, but for hybrid I prefer balancing out defensive stats with offensive ones. When I put on my full dps gear my defense drops to around 2k, I gain 2.5k static power and about 10% crit. In my hybrid gear (the Stalwart set), I have 12,000 power while tanking, with 4800 defense and around 20% deflect.

It's really up to you. I don't like telling people how to gear.
    @rokuthy on Mindflayer
  • misterlazmisterlaz Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I decided to respec into this spec and will follow this guide as I level now, instead of randomly placing points.

I am just now level 25 and I'm getting tired of feeling useless in groups. "Tanking" is a term used very loosely in this game and my DPS is always <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. Always last. So I'm hoping that with this build I can at least go through dungeons and group up with my friends and be someone useful.

But as I'm gearing up, what sort of stats should I focus on? I mean, I tolled this class cause I want to tank, and this is a tanking/dps hybrid build which sounds great, but do I forego tanking stats for DPS ones? Or does the tanking gear provide enough dps stats to do the job?
    edited May 2013
    misterlaz wrote: »
    I decided to respec into this spec and will follow this guide as I level now, instead of randomly placing points.

I am just now level 25 and I'm getting tired of feeling useless in groups. "Tanking" is a term used very loosely in this game and my DPS is always <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. Always last. So I'm hoping that with this build I can at least go through dungeons and group up with my friends and be someone useful.

But as I'm gearing up, what sort of stats should I focus on? I mean, I tolled this class cause I want to tank, and this is a tanking/dps hybrid build which sounds great, but do I forego tanking stats for DPS ones? Or does the tanking gear provide enough dps stats to do the job?

For leveling I'd probably just try to equip anything you can find with power on it. Just do as much damage as you can while you're leveling with bros.
    @rokuthy on Mindflayer
  • elanithelanith Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I would also suggest making sure that you always equip the highest damage weapon as well, ill even take a weapon that has no or lower power than i currently have. That is a huge increase of our damage while leveling, and than as much power as you can get your hands on. Not sure if you visit the AH but you can get some decent blue weapons for under 1k AD while leveling as well, those last longer before needing to be replaced (every 5-10 lvls)
  • ganjaman1ganjaman1 Member Posts: 792 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So what jewelry stats are you stacking , it's missing in the screenshot of the gear is there a particular reason for this ?
    edited May 2013
    ganjaman1 wrote: »
    So what jewelry stats are you stacking , it's missing in the screenshot of the gear is there a particular reason for this ?

For hybrid, I'm stacking HP/Defense/Deflect jewelry. However, on my cat I have some more balanced stats: crit, power, recovery, etc. Mainly because the Cat won't transfer direct HP over, so you go with all stat jewelry on that.

For DPS, Revolt rings are solid (power/deflect), the Blessing neck has power/crit/armor pen, the revolt neck has power/crit/recovery.

Just balance your stats, you don't have to stack one particular thing. While I'm using the Stalwart 4 piece though (going to mess with Regent and Timeless once I have 4/4), stacking HP works great for the power conversion, and then defense/deflect for tanking reasons. With that being said, I'm sure stacking even more offensive stats would work just as well.
    @rokuthy on Mindflayer
  • sanctumlolsanctumlol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 382 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I've been wondering is plague fire possibly better than vorpal for pure dps. Plague fire is better for the whole group, but has anyone tested it for solo?
  • viciousfettiviciousfetti Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    havent read all the post so im not sure if you answered this but which runes/enchants do you use on your gear/weapon and cat
  • mistwalk3rmistwalk3r Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    First off: thanks for taking the time to build this guide Rokuthy, very much appreciated!

Question for anyone with pieces of the Stalwart Bulwark set: I've never farmed for a specific piece of gear from a Dungeon before, but now find myself looking for the Helm and Armor--how are the drop rates on these? About how many runs should one expect to need (or would I be better served scrounging the AD to just buy them)?
  • malvoumalvou Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    From my experience, I got the hands from the end boss of Cloak Tower on my first run. Boots I bought, Chestpiece came in the Dungeon Delves Chest at the end of Idris on my first try.

Now if only I could get a brave enough group to do Mad Dragon for the helm.
    edited May 2013
    malvou wrote: »
    From my experience, I got the hands from the end boss of Cloak Tower on my first run. Boots I bought, Chestpiece came in the Dungeon Delves Chest at the end of Idris on my first try.

Thanks for the reply, seems like the drop rates might not be horrendous.

One more newbie question: these are from the regular (pre-60) versions of the dungeons, correct? Not the epic versions?
  • rxmikerxmike Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    A guy today told me he did 86times Idris and didnt get the Armor . I have made it like 4 times and no luck yet. Neither on auction house, I saw a guy selling it today on Dragon but i knew it was gonna cost lots of aD so i didnt ask him . I'll keep farming tough. And Those drops are form the epic 60 dungeons.
    edited May 2013
    rxmike wrote: »
    A guy today told me he did 86times Idris and didnt get the Armor . I have made it like 4 times and no luck yet. Neither on auction house, I saw a guy selling it today on Dragon but i knew it was gonna cost lots of aD so i didnt ask him . I'll keep farming tough. And Those drops are form the epic 60 dungeons.

With delves working properly now, utilize the delve hour the best you can. Will give you the best chance at your tier items.
    @rokuthy on Mindflayer
    edited May 2013
    rxmike wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply as well. Those numbers are...less encouraging.

So they're from the Epic dungeons? It makes sense given their stats, but then why are the item levels as low as 38? One would think they were actually intended for the regular level progression.
  • aedndorfaedndorf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    malvou wrote: »

must be nice, i have run cloak tower and crypts around 8-10 times each with zero drops.
  • vaichanavaichana Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 91
    edited May 2013
    Try delves, now Idris' chest is fixed. I got the armor from Idris herself after the last patch and around 30ish runs. I have seen her drop armors more frequently after the patch though, I think they increased the drop chance.
    The helm is the most annoying to get, it seems hard to find a group to run the dragon nowadays... or at least competent enough people to finish it.

Also, about the item level requirements... I do not know if it's a bug or a twinker's dream. Anyway they are level 60 items statwise.
  • jezeen5jezeen5 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    awesome thanks
    Death or Glory