test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Rokuthy's Hybrid Tanking Build (GF) for End Game PvE (and PvP) content.

Comments

• rokuthyrokuthy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 179 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Updated main post with a few changes and notes:

Note on new powers added.
    Screenshots of Stalwart Bulwark 4 piece, damage examples and my stats added.
    New At-wills/Encounter ability setups with playstyle explanation added.

Overhaul of layout coming soon.
    @rokuthy on Mindflayer
    Play my foundry campaign, Vermilion: Spirit of Gevaudan. The first quest, The Desperate Messenger is now available @ NWS-DM44FZM2W
  • onebitonebit Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thanks for the updates. This is great information for someone whos just getting into the end game.
  • astos2astos2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    First: This is an excellent guide -- thank you.

Second: Have you tested how much Ubiquitous Shield actually reduces damage from flanking mobs? As a dwarf, I have to decide what to cut from your Feats. If it is a flat 25% off damage from flanking mobs, then that's a no-brainer. If it is a 25% reduction of the mobs X% (whatever flanking is) increase, then that's far more questionable.

Third: What companion do you use? I currently just use my wolf, but by max level I imagine something else will be better. Ioun stone? Cat? Maybe even an Acolyte of Kelemvor for the flat 10% damage reduction?
  • pyrosarashipyrosarashi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm wondering, why Lunging Strike in your normal setup? For the longer range on the charge? I use a very similar setup but I generally opt out of Lunging Strike(which I use for soloing, low cd, high dmg, very fast animation) and lately I've been finding myself using Into the Fray, even if it's not traited for dmg. The AP gain is insanely useful, both for myself and everyone else. I spend more time in Villain's dailly so I don't get knocked down as much and do a lot more damage, find it really useful and the movespeed is nice to move between pulls or to help the healer kite adds. But that's just an option, I'm just wondering why you have it vs just relying on threatening rush(granted I think the range is crappy to initiate fights on trash packs but eh) and if you needed single target damage why not gryphon instead or anvil.

Anyway great guide, and yeah situation on tanking is a bit weird at the moment, I guess they didn't want to have one guy tanking everything at once like in other games or something. You can't block for more than a few seconds at a time, you don't have that much mitigation even when fully traited, you don't have very good threat if you don't do good dmg, all this tends to direct you into building as a tanky DPS than an actual tank.
  • sixko1sixko1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 30
    edited May 2013
    rokuthy wrote: »
    Stuff

Thank you for a very informative answer, although it makes me a bit sad :(
  • rabbinicusrabbinicus Member Posts: 1,822 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Anyone know where Stalwart Bulwark gear drops? That set looks fantastic!
    The right to command is earned through duty, the privilege of rank is service.

• rokuthyrokuthy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 179 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    astos2 wrote: »
    First: This is an excellent guide -- thank you.

Second: Have you tested how much Ubiquitous Shield actually reduces damage from flanking mobs? As a dwarf, I have to decide what to cut from your Feats. If it is a flat 25% off damage from flanking mobs, then that's a no-brainer. If it is a 25% reduction of the mobs X% (whatever flanking is) increase, then that's far more questionable.

Third: What companion do you use? I currently just use my wolf, but by max level I imagine something else will be better. Ioun stone? Cat? Maybe even an Acolyte of Kelemvor for the flat 10% damage reduction?

I have not tested if it is a direct 25% damage reduction or if it just reduces the bonus combat advantage that the mobs gain. At the moment, I have 3/3 in the crit talent and 1/5 US. Most of the heroic feat points are interchangeable and can be taken based purely on preference. I'd say maybe only the 3/3 Strength and 3/3 HP (especially if you're using Stalwart 4-piece) and 5/5 encounter power damage is necessary. Everything else can just be taken on personal preference and you'll be doing fine.

As for companion, I use a cat. If they ever activate those things that increase the pet's potential level cap, then I'd use a level 30 Ioun Stone.
    I'm wondering, why Lunging Strike in your normal setup? For the longer range on the charge? I use a very similar setup but I generally opt out of Lunging Strike(which I use for soloing, low cd, high dmg, very fast animation) and lately I've been finding myself using Into the Fray, even if it's not traited for dmg. The AP gain is insanely useful, both for myself and everyone else. I spend more time in Villain's dailly so I don't get knocked down as much and do a lot more damage, find it really useful and the movespeed is nice to move between pulls or to help the healer kite adds. But that's just an option, I'm just wondering why you have it vs just relying on threatening rush(granted I think the range is crappy to initiate fights on trash packs but eh) and if you needed single target damage why not gryphon instead or anvil.

Anyway great guide, and yeah situation on tanking is a bit weird at the moment, I guess they didn't want to have one guy tanking everything at once like in other games or something. You can't block for more than a few seconds at a time, you don't have that much mitigation even when fully traited, you don't have very good threat if you don't do good dmg, all this tends to direct you into building as a tanky DPS than an actual tank.

I prefer lunging strike in most situations simply for the increased range and single target damage I gain out of it. When I list the powers I use, its just a broad sense of what I'm using in MOST situations. I swap in into the fray pretty often while clearing trash packs as it just speeds up the process. One round of enforced threat and frontline surge with fray popped on a big clump is enough for a daily itself (or pretty close), so I definitely both see and utilize the benefit. However, on a lot of boss fights I'm holding the boss off to the side alone, or it's a single target burn, etc. In that case it will always be lunging strike as the benefit from into the fray is negligible, especially if I'm just using single target encounter powers.
    rabbinicus wrote: »

It's the T1 set drops that drop in the T1 instances. There's 3 different sets (Valiant Warrior, Knight Captain, Stalwart Bulwark - I believe). So gloves would be Cloak Tower, boots in Cragmire, helm from Mad Dragon (iirc - either dragon or wolf), and chest from Idris.
    @rokuthy on Mindflayer
    Play my foundry campaign, Vermilion: Spirit of Gevaudan. The first quest, The Desperate Messenger is now available @ NWS-DM44FZM2W
  • thestatesmanthestatesman Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 78
    edited May 2013
    I'd imagine that there will be a rework eventually and that DPS and hybrid probably become less optimal. But then again there's a chance that'll never really happen. I really don't want to end up spending all of my time saving up AD for respecs or even spending money for it. So I'm actually quite torn on how to build right now (and that, unfortunately, is showing in my build. Points are kind of everywhere). But hey, thanks for the guide.
  • rabbinicusrabbinicus Member Posts: 1,822 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Great, thanks for the info!
    The right to command is earned through duty, the privilege of rank is service.

edited May 2013
    Just wondering, what accessories would you recommend, and also, what weapon/armor runes do you think would go well with your current setup.
  • paragon33paragon33 Member Posts: 134 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    This is a very good guide. Ty
    edited May 2013
    onebit wrote: »
    Just wondering, what accessories are you using at the moment?

My rings are + HP defense/deflect at the moment, not optimal for dps but pretty good for hybrid. I look at the HP as HP/4=power, and the defense and deflect is tanky. Could easily go HP crit/recovery if you wanted to. Or you could go power/recovery/crit. There are a lot of options really, but you actually gain more power from HP if you're using the Stalwart bonus.

For my cat, I use the triple stat stuff - ie power/recovery/crit etc. because I don't think you get the +HP gain from items.
    @rokuthy on Mindflayer
  • seveclasevecla Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just wanted to express my gratitude, this thread (and Envy's too) is a priceless resource for new GWs.
  • lyokiralyokira Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Quick question: is there any point in maxing combat superiority if you're maxing tactical superiority?
    edited May 2013
    lyokira wrote: »
    Quick question: is there any point in maxing combat superiority if you're maxing tactical superiority?

I'm going to be perfectly honest here: I have no clue. Taking the 3/3 in the power tree increases duration to 15 seconds, while the feat makes it so you don't need to be hit first. The problem is, I've never NOT been specced fully 3/3 - so if I'm not specced into tact. sup I can't remember if you typically gain a visible buff. I know right now I don't gain a visible buff, but I really don't want to go through the respec costs to test the different setups, IE:

1/3 combat sup with 5/5 tact sup
    3/3 combat sup with 0/5 tact sup
    3/3 combat sup with 5/5 tact sup

That's 3 respecs - that's 12 dollars and 500k AD. So I just take both to be on the safe side and roll with it. If someone else has tested this they can feel free to post the results, but until respec costs are lowered (or I respec to test something else), I'm not going to do it at this time.

It would be nice if when we took 5/5 tact. sup that we'd gain a permanent combat sup. buff just so I know the talent is working at all. With the number of broken GF (and other class) talents in the game, it wouldn't surprise if its just outright broken. But who knows. With the game being as new as it is I've been spending most of my time progressing through dungeons and trying out different specs when I can. I haven't taken much time (yet) to go through testing out various theorycraft. I'll get to it soonish.

If everything works 100% like the tooltips state, then I'd assume 1/3 combat. sup and 5/5 tact. sup would be the way to go.
    @rokuthy on Mindflayer
  • unmokunmok Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I can't remember if you typically gain a visible buff. I know right now I don't gain a visible buff

you get a debuff on the enemy

i have 3/3 combat sup with 0/5 tact sup and the moment an enemy hits me he gets the yellow sword icon as a debuff :)
  • astos2astos2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have noticed that your Hybrid guide and Envy's DPS guide have been slowly converging on one another. It seems like there might even be mostly a consensus on powers/feat points soon. Differences that still remain, as far as I can tell:

- Envy has 1 fewer point in Shield Talent - but your current builds don't seem to use Shield Talent in any of your loadouts.
    - Envy still picks up Knight's Valor but doesn't speak highly of it; while you've dropped it in the most recent iteration as not used.
    - Envy is picking up Knight's Challenge, presumably for PvP; your guide has 1 point in it for positioning. This might be the same, depending on final point loadout.
    - Your build has 5 points in Plate Agility, while Envy's has 5 in Improved Vigor. That appears to be the only major difference in feats -- minor differences exist, but only of a stray point here or there in Heroic feats (which Envy is apparently changing around right now to include Grit in his build, etc.)

Is it fair to say that the major difference between your build and Envy's build at the moment probably boils down to stats chosen on gear? (Envy emphasizes DPS stats, you emphasize tanking stats?) This isn't a criticism, by the way -- to me it sounds like a growing consensus on what works best....
  • j0nixj0nix Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    great guide. using a tweaked variation of it using staggering challenge and crushing pin for epic griffon strike lockdowns and KO's. Having great success. Its easy to land a frontline surge and follow it up with 3 griffons. 90% of the time it results in a kill, if not, they are running off the domination node with 10%

Thanks for the time and effort in writing this guide.
    edited May 2013
    Is it fair to say that the major difference between your build and Envy's build at the moment probably boils down to stats chosen on gear? (Envy emphasizes DPS stats, you emphasize tanking stats?) This isn't a criticism, by the way -- to me it sounds like a growing consensus on what works best....

noticed this too. TBH if you can get the stalwart bulwark stuff its insanely good set bonus provides as much, if not more, damage. Your crit won't be nearly as high, but your power will be higher (assuming u stack HP and power gear on jewelry/waist/enchants, which you should over crit). The armor also comes with innately great defenses. Perfect blend of damage and defense for this build imo.
  • wyldchild777wyldchild777 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Greetings,

First, absolutely great writeup on what appears to be a very solid way of making a "tank" fighter who can still dish out some good dps.

I do have trouble with something though. It's probably due to my newness with the game (decided to take the plunge and join up/install just 3 days ago) that I haven't figured this out yet.

I see that we (players) can get about 20 powers maxed, with some points left over, but only can equip 9 (11 if counting guard at-wills) at a time. Are we supposed to be swapping in and out the powers we'll need based on the situation at hand? Do you go with a particular power setup beforehand based on what you know you'll be doing (setup A for soloing, setup B for dungeoning, etc) and stick with that setup the whole time? Or, do you swap powers in and out on-the-fly while adventuring (in a dungeon: using setup A while going to boss fight, then setup B for the boss fight)?

As I said, it's probably my newness with the game that I don't know the answer to this. I can't recall having played a game, much less an MMO, with this kind of situation before. The closest I think I have come is Guild Wars 1's setup, where there are hundreds of skills available, but can only choose 8 at a time. However, in GW1, you (the player) choose which 8 to use based on the zone/instance you'll be going to, and stick with those 8 the whole time your party is in the zone/instance.
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own"
    - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
    edited May 2013
    I have noticed that your Hybrid guide and Envy's DPS guide have been slowly converging on one another. It seems like there might even be mostly a consensus on powers/feat points soon. Differences that still remain, as far as I can tell:

- Envy has 1 fewer point in Shield Talent - but your current builds don't seem to use Shield Talent in any of your loadouts.
    - Envy still picks up Knight's Valor but doesn't speak highly of it; while you've dropped it in the most recent iteration as not used.
    - Envy is picking up Knight's Challenge, presumably for PvP; your guide has 1 point in it for positioning. This might be the same, depending on final point loadout.
    - Your build has 5 points in Plate Agility, while Envy's has 5 in Improved Vigor. That appears to be the only major difference in feats -- minor differences exist, but only of a stray point here or there in Heroic feats (which Envy is apparently changing around right now to include Grit in his build, etc.)

Yes, they're becoming more similar in terms of point allocation. I'm actually using a different power setup, as well as using different heroic & paragon feats (slightly) than the guide suggests at the moment. I haven't updated it to reflect 100% what I'm doing because I'm making sure it's what I'm fully committing to. The primary differences in our guides at the moment, is most of his commentary will come from the perspective of DPS and PvP. The majority of mine (and every change I make) is from perspective of PvE tanking. I tank with this spec - putting out DPS is a byproduct. The ability to PvP after you're done tanking instances is a byproduct. And while Envy's build can also perform well in PvE, his main concern is going to be DPS'ing. If Cryptic were to change a couple of feats, add a power, anything like that, then I'm sure Envy's guide would reflect what that means as far changes to DPS and PvP builds go, where as I'd immediately update any changes to the tanking setup.

So yes, the build itself is becoming more and more similar, where as the way we play it (maybe) and the purpose of our specs (more so) will be different.
    Greetings,

First, absolutely great writeup on what appears to be a very solid way of making a "tank" fighter who can still dish out some good dps.

I do have trouble with something though. It's probably due to my newness with the game (decided to take the plunge and join up/install just 3 days ago) that I haven't figured this out yet.

I see that we (players) can get about 20 powers maxed, with some points left over, but only can equip 9 (11 if counting guard at-wills) at a time. Are we supposed to be swapping in and out the powers we'll need based on the situation at hand? Do you go with a particular power setup beforehand based on what you know you'll be doing (setup A for soloing, setup B for dungeoning, etc) and stick with that setup the whole time? Or, do you swap powers in and out on-the-fly while adventuring (in a dungeon: using setup A while going to boss fight, then setup B for the boss fight)?

As I said, it's probably my newness with the game that I don't know the answer to this. I can't recall having played a game, much less an MMO, with this kind of situation before. The closest I think I have come is Guild Wars 1's setup, where there are hundreds of skills available, but can only choose 8 at a time. However, in GW1, you (the player) choose which 8 to use based on the zone/instance you'll be going to, and stick with those 8 the whole time your party is in the zone/instance.

Yes, I'll swap out powers for trash, for bosses (different setups for different bosses), for PvP, for solo play, for areas of the map (can add Bull Rush to my bar to follow up a Frontline Surge to send mobs flying off a cliff) - occasionally I'll easily swap powers out mid fight. If adds are getting out control and I'm single target DPS'ing a boss, I'll swap on my AE stuff real quick, wait the 10 seconds and then go clean up adds. If I'm fighting a boss with a huge HP pool, I'll toss on Anvil of Doom for the 25% burn phase. Some of those things may not be 100% optimal because I don't play with a TI-86 in my lap, but the point remains that powers get swapped very often.
    @rokuthy on Mindflayer
    edited May 2013
    do you recall where u got all the stalwart bulwark stuff. Sadly the unicorn vendor doesnt have the pieces with the set bonuses.
    edited May 2013
    j0nix wrote: »
    do you recall where u got all the stalwart bulwark stuff. Sadly the unicorn vendor doesnt have the pieces with the set bonuses.

Stalwart Defender Set:

Arms - Cloak Tower
    Greaves - Cragmire Crypts
    Armor- Throne of Idris
    Helm - Lair of the Mad Dragon

Will add that to the main post.
    @rokuthy on Mindflayer
  • lyokiralyokira Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    unmok wrote: »
    you get a debuff on the enemy

i have 3/3 combat sup with 0/5 tact sup and the moment an enemy hits me he gets the yellow sword icon as a debuff :)

In which case, does the debuff show up with max tact sup, and when does it start showing up? (on combat? Aggro/being targetted?)
  • unmokunmok Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i dont know ... im 11 lvls to low to test this :)
    edited May 2013
    Any tips for the Mad dragon encounter? I'm only missing the Helm from the set and it's proving really difficult to find good enough groups to finish the fight =(
    edited May 2013
    onebit wrote: »
    Any tips for the Mad dragon encounter? I'm only missing the Helm from the set and it's proving really difficult to find good enough groups to finish the fight =(

For the most controlled way to do the fight, I'd recommend doing this:

Run in and get a good threat lead on the boss. Use your blocks, step out of things as necessary, etc. Slowly try to get the boss moved out of the center of the room.. try to get him a little off to one of the sides, either the left or right, doesn't matter. This doesn't have to happen quickly, you can take your time. Make sure you aren't going to die. Make sure you don't stand in the little circles the Magus' will place under your feet. Even if you fully block them, they'll still knock you down.

Once you get the boss off to the side, you're going to want him lined up north to south (head to tail), or south to north, doesn't matter... basically you don't want him horizontally positioned in the room. Incoming mad paint skills:

v1L93sn.png

You're the circle in front of the Dragon (arrow). Your group stacks on the Cleric... if you have a GWF, they should mainly be protecting the cleric and killing adds. If you have a rogue, they can kill adds, Magus' especially and dps the dragon whenever they get a chance (adds are far more important). If you have a CW, they can also help with adds and then put damage on the dragon whenever they get a chance. There's 2 larger add phases - a smaller one with 4 elites (and other magus') around 70% IIRC... eventually the cleric will aggro these things and they'll all end up in the pile with the rest of the group. The main thing for you to do is not freak out and trust them to handle it. Just keep the boss faced north/south so it doesn't turn and start breathing all over your group with conals. During the larger add phase, same thing - you really have to trust your group to handle it. If they can't, then you can try to taunt the big guy out (forget the name of the mob), build some threat, and then pull him back to the dragon. You should be able to tank the big one + the dragon without too many issues, just pot if you need. Once the small adds are cleaned up, your group can finish off the big one, then just finish the dragon.

There are probably faster ways to kill the boss, etc. But in a typical pug setup, this is the most controlled, safe bet.
    @rokuthy on Mindflayer
  • sand1972sand1972 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 69
    edited May 2013
    rabbinicus wrote: »
    It's the T1 set drops that drop in the T1 instances. There's 3 different sets (Valiant Warrior, Knight Captain, Stalwart Bulwark - I believe). So gloves would be Cloak Tower, boots in Cragmire, helm from Mad Dragon (iirc - either dragon or wolf), and chest from Idris.

Stalwart gear comes off of Unicorn vendor in trade area. (Edited- NVM that a non-set bonus version)
    To my knowledge only the Tier 1 Knight, General and Valiant sets drop in instances. (edit- and I stand corrected the Stalwart Bulwark as well)
    And the final fourth Tier 1 Indomitable Set comes from the PVP glory vendor.
  • rugeshieldrugeshield Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I just have one question, I really like the build but. Can you tank ANY dungeon in PvE with a decent team?
    I am really looking for a build that I can tank anything since that's my main focus for this character and if I can PvP with the same character it would be even better.
  • mrchinomrchino Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Updates:

Variation of Debuff Turtle for T2+ Tanking

For a more in depth explanation of this spec, see Venore's Thread.

This is a slight variation to the overall powers and feat breakdown. After two days of testing this spec, I've come to the conclusion that it's just not viable in end game T2 dungeons. This is excluding Epic Dread Vaults and Castle Never as those are the two instances I have yet to run. Once I've attempted and/or completed them, I will give my final take on this spec in regards to its performance in those dungeons. Once again, I do not feel like this spec is viable in the harder T2 dungeons in the current iteration of the game. Future updates may change this spec's viability.

My spec is almost the same as Venore's, with just a few minor variations.

Keep in mind I'm human so I have 3 more points to spend.

5/5 Action Surge
    3/3 Strength Focus
    3/3 Toughness
    3/3 Armor Specialization
    5/5 Distracting Shield
    3/3 Potent Challenge
    1/5 Powerful Attack (leftover point, can go anywhere)

5/5 Armor of Bahamut
    5/5 Plate Agility
    5/5 Shield Master
    5/5 Balanced Shield
    5/5 Overwhelming Impact
    1/1 Ironguard

5/5 Fight On

For powers:

Cleave or Tide of Iron - Threatening Rush
    Frontline Surge - Enforced Threat - Into the Fray
    Supremacy of Steel - Terrifying Impact
    Shield Talent - Enhanced Mark

For playstyle, this spec involves using Into the Fray basically on CD - huge increase in AP gain for your entire party, speed boost and recharges your shield meter. I use Cleave during most trash and some bosses, Tide of Iron when I can really focus on the boss only (can get away with using Tide of Iron 100% of the time though if you want). Can use either daily depending on the situation. I like popping Enforced Threat and Supremacy of Steel - eat all the incoming damage without blocking, then unleash the AE. Follow it up with Frontline Surge for nice burst (or lead into it with that, doesn't matter).

Ok so from what I'm gathering this last spec ISN'T great for T2 tanking? I just wanted to make sure I was reading it correctly. If this is the case do you often tank T2 as in 8300 GS epics? If you are then are you using the hybrid or this refined turtle spec you've put up at the end ? My gear is very similar to yours (about 1150 so a little less) and I went into T2 and struggled a little bit with the hyrbid build. I'm not sure if I just need a little more practice or if the build is really better for the starting epic runs. The hybrid works great for the T1 stuff and I have no issues.