test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Rokuthy's Hybrid Tanking Build (GF) for End Game PvE (and PvP) content.

Comments

• rokuthyrokuthy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 179 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    rugeshield wrote: »
    I just have one question, I really like the build but. Can you tank ANY dungeon in PvE with a decent team?
    I am really looking for a build that I can tank anything since that's my main focus for this character and if I can PvP with the same character it would be even better.

Yes, the primary purpose for this build is PvE tanking. PvP is just an added bonus that you can also do with this build. Here's a screenshot from a game - I particularly like it because of the class composition in the match (full of GF/GWF). 4 of those people immediately messaged me after the game asking what sort of build I was running because they had never seen a guardian do the kind of damage I was doing (they'd obviously never run into Envy and other great guardians), and was accused of hacking in the middle of the match - which is always the first sign that you're awesome.

ZHE54Lq.jpg

But like I said, the build's purpose is to tank in PvE while still being able to enjoy PvP and anything else without feeling like you need to constantly respec. If class balances/changes ever rollout, my primary focus for this guide will always gravitate towards the tanking side of things, so if a hybrid spec becomes obsolete, then my guide would shift more into a tanking guide, as that's what I care more about (in this game). Hope that helps.
    @rokuthy on Mindflayer
    Play my foundry campaign, Vermilion: Spirit of Gevaudan. The first quest, The Desperate Messenger is now available @ NWS-DM44FZM2W
  • rokuthyrokuthy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 179 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    mrchino wrote: »
    Ok so from what I'm gathering this last spec ISN'T great for T2 tanking? I just wanted to make sure I was reading it correctly. If this is the case do you often tank T2 as in 8300 GS epics? If you are then are you using the hybrid or this refined turtle spec you've put up at the end ? My gear is very similar to yours (about 1150 so a little less) and I went into T2 and struggled a little bit with the hyrbid build. I'm not sure if I just need a little more practice or if the build is really better for the starting epic runs. The hybrid works great for the T1 stuff and I have no issues.

I run the hybrid build in T2's. We're working on the last boss of Dread Vault and Castle Never. Everything else is dead. I was running a variation of the turtle tank build when we first hit T2's (Pirates and Frozen Heart). I stuck with it for a few days, thought it was the way to go at the time, then quickly changed my mind after seeing a few of the T2 fights. Went back hybrid, made some adjustments, and have dominated everything ever since.

So to be clear - I run hybrid for everything.
    @rokuthy on Mindflayer
    Play my foundry campaign, Vermilion: Spirit of Gevaudan. The first quest, The Desperate Messenger is now available @ NWS-DM44FZM2W
  • arktourosxarktourosx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 177 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    rokuthy wrote: »
    I run the hybrid build in T2's. We're working on the last boss of Dread Vault and Castle Never. Everything else is dead. I was running a variation of the turtle tank build when we first hit T2's (Pirates and Frozen Heart). I stuck with it for a few days, thought it was the way to go at the time, then quickly changed my mind after seeing a few of the T2 fights. Went back hybrid, made some adjustments, and have dominated everything ever since.

So to be clear - I run hybrid for everything.

Yea I've found most of my success tanking high end bosses by avoiding damage entirely since no matter how much you pump into making your Guard awesome there's too many bosses that just one shot the shield and leave you without anything. I'm having a lot more success keeping guard on a boss and then basically "kite tanking" by using Enforced Threat (ranged), Frontline Surge (ranged) and Lunging Strike (charge when AOEs gone) and doing melee when I can than I have been trying to ride out the AOEs in Guard.

Also because so many of our animations lock us into place unless it's safe to do so I've been avoiding getting locked down in an animation so I can run out of any AOE attacks. Usually this means properly using Cleave and only letting the animation get to 1 or 2 rather than the big swing of 3 if I an anticipate I might have to move with AOE.

Prior to that I was doing a hybrid of DPS gear with the Protector build and while the Guard Meter was substantially better (and lemme tell you those 5/5 in 10% AP while blocking meant my daily was ALWAYS up) it still wasn't good enough to take the hits.
    nwsignature.jpg
  • rugeshieldrugeshield Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yes, the primary purpose for this build is PvE tanking. PvP is just an added bonus that you can also do with this build. Here's a screenshot from a game - I particularly like it because of the class composition in the match (full of GF/GWF). 4 of those people immediately messaged me after the game asking what sort of build I was running because they had never seen a guardian do the kind of damage I was doing (they'd obviously never run into Envy and other great guardians), and was accused of hacking in the middle of the match - which is always the first sign that you're awesome.

ZHE54Lq.jpg

But like I said, the build's purpose is to tank in PvE while still being able to enjoy PvP and anything else without feeling like you need to constantly respec. If class balances/changes ever rollout, my primary focus for this guide will always gravitate towards the tanking side of things, so if a hybrid spec becomes obsolete, then my guide would shift more into a tanking guide, as that's what I care more about (in this game). Hope that helps.

Perfect, thanks a lot, I will def run this build then :D
    edited May 2013
    Updated current powers and feats.
    @rokuthy on Mindflayer
  • aldemmaldemm Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Managed to get full bulwark after a lucky DD chest in Mad Dragon and actually tried Castle Never with my guild. We got 3/4 before calling it and I can definitely add another ticket of confirmation as far as the effectiveness of the build goes in high-tier content in durability, aggro-holding, and specially damage.
    Say rokuthy, do you use the cat companion? I've heard it was viable with its stat buff but just wondering if it's really worth investing so many gems on it for bonuses in recovery and crit.
  • crozenfoxcrozenfox Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Nice build ;)
    Why not Enhanced Mark for dungeon instead of Ferocious Reaction ? because of the 1min cooldown and hp drop at 15%...
    edited May 2013
    aldemm wrote: »
    Managed to get full bulwark after a lucky DD chest in Mad Dragon and actually tried Castle Never with my guild. We got 3/4 before calling it and I can definitely add another ticket of confirmation as far as the effectiveness of the build goes in high-tier content in durability, aggro-holding, and specially damage.
    Say rokuthy, do you use the cat companion? I've heard it was viable with its stat buff but just wondering if it's really worth investing so many gems on it for bonuses in recovery and crit.

Yes, I use Cat - currently from the Cat alone I gain:

Crit 466
    Def 566
    Deflect 231
    Power 231
    Recovery 1105
    Regen 50

And it very rarely if ever dies. I think mine has died once ever.
    @rokuthy on Mindflayer
    edited May 2013
    crozenfox wrote: »
    Nice build ;)
    Why not Enhanced Mark for dungeon instead of Ferocious Reaction ? because of the 1min cooldown and hp drop at 15%...

Because I don't need enhanced mark with the damage I put out.
    @rokuthy on Mindflayer
  • arktourosxarktourosx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 177 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Nice build ;)

Because with this much damage you don't need the extra threat from Enhanced Mark to hold threat on things meanwhile Ferocious Reaction is like a passive "Oh !@#$" ability. It's an extra 3000-5000 heal or so when you get low.

The only other alternative I had considered was Trample the Fallen with Battle Trample for trash clearing. With as much as trash is CC'd doing 25% of your weapon's damage + threat on targets that are CC'd would be a lot of extra damage you're throwing out to clear trash faster. Even on bosses if you end up tanking side mobs that will get CC it'll help keep them on you instead of the healer, too.

Personally I decided this was just over the top and pointless (since if it's CC'd then it's going to die easy/fast anyways) and I prefer Plate Agility which brings me to a nice 20% deflection since I'm not blocking as much with a similar build/playstyle to this. Fun fact: Deflection works on any kind of damage period, even things like falling damage or environmental.
    nwsignature.jpg
    edited May 2013
    Ok.
    And what about str,con,dex ?

I did +200% damage using your build, amasing !
    edited May 2013
    arktourosx wrote: »
    Because with this much damage you don't need the extra threat from Enhanced Mark to hold threat on things meanwhile Ferocious Reaction is like a passive "Oh !@#$" ability. It's an extra 3000-5000 heal or so when you get low.

The only other alternative I had considered was Trample the Fallen with Battle Trample for trash clearing. With as much as trash is CC'd doing 25% of your weapon's damage + threat on targets that are CC'd would be a lot of extra damage you're throwing out to clear trash faster. Even on bosses if you end up tanking side mobs that will get CC it'll help keep them on you instead of the healer, too.

Personally I decided this was just over the top and pointless (since if it's CC'd then it's going to die easy/fast anyways) and I prefer Plate Agility which brings me to a nice 20% deflection since I'm not blocking as much with a similar build/playstyle to this. Fun fact: Deflection works on any kind of damage period, even things like falling damage or environmental.

Haha, funny you mentioned that, I just recently tried Trample with Battle Trample. Was pretty sweet, but went back to Ferocious. Either one is viable.
    @rokuthy on Mindflayer
  • slicerdiceroldslicerdicerold Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 60
    edited May 2013
    My first build through was similar to yours but i picked more of the tanking paragon powers. The paragon lines are really designed to go to end. So i re did the way you have and its more effective. However I still like Indomitable Strength much better then Terrifying Impact when i am soloing. Being able to bounce an end boss is very handy when soloing (except when you bounce it into the wall and it gets stuck an you can't hit him and he can hit you) and Terrifying Impact does not do that.
  • valeri0wnvaleri0wn Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hello again Rokuthy, seem's like I just keep comming back for more of your goodies ;)

I have begun tanking and finding it a blast, but I have a question regarding gear. I have full set of pvp gear(everything you can buy) And when I go instance instances every GF gear I find just have inferior stats. I want to start gearing towards t2 but I am finding it difficult in replacing my existing gear.

Regards
    Valerion
  • evileyecurseevileyecurse Member Posts: 38
    edited May 2013
    Strangely, I could not find a Stalwart Bulwarks's Armor chest piece on the AH... How much does it cost exactly?
    edited May 2013
    valeri0wn wrote: »
    Hello again Rokuthy, seem's like I just keep comming back for more of your goodies ;)

I have begun tanking and finding it a blast, but I have a question regarding gear. I have full set of pvp gear(everything you can buy) And when I go instance instances every GF gear I find just have inferior stats. I want to start gearing towards t2 but I am finding it difficult in replacing my existing gear.

Regards
    Valerion

I never used the PvP gear at all, and I don't use T2 right now. I have a few pieces of T2 but the Stalwart T1 set is just too good at the moment (for what I'm doing at least).
    Strangely, I could not find a Stalwart Bulwarks's Armor chest piece on the AH... How much does it cost exactly?

I have no idea. Just farm Idris. To make it easy, just clear the room of adds before you pull her, then make sure the group kills any small adds first (archers, etc), and tell them to ignore hulks. You grab the first hulk yourself, ignore Idris. She'll spawn a second hulk after a bit, grab that one as well, then just pull the 2 hulks away from the other 4 people in your group. Can just kite them around while your group kills Idris.

There's other ways to kill her but for pugs that one always seemed to work the best for me.
    @rokuthy on Mindflayer
    edited May 2013
    So I should basicly get Stalwart? Does it drop from instances or buy it with unicorn? Sorry so new to 60.
    Edit your screenshots shows your gear but not your rings neckless, what instances do you do for those items? If not to much to ask.
    Regards
    Valerion
    edited May 2013
    So I should basicly get Stalwart? Does it drop from instances or buy it with unicorn? Sorry so new to 60.
    Edit your screenshots shows your gear but not your rings neckless, what instances do you do for those items? If not to much to ask.
    Regards
    Valerion

I always get asked the question of where things drop, so to put this information out there for everyone, in case it wasn't obvious:

Open your queue window for dungeons. Select a dungeon. Read its description. It will inform you of its gear score requirement, and then give you a brief summary of items that can drop, to include: T1 Armor(chest), Arms, Greaves, Helm, etc. It will also state a secondary item, such as Ring, Neck, Belt. This is how I know where everything drops, and hopefully now others do as well.

Also, added a new link to the main post.
    @rokuthy on Mindflayer
    edited May 2013
    I always get asked the question of where things drop, so to put this information out there for everyone, in case it wasn't obvious:

Open your queue window for dungeons. Select a dungeon. Read its description. It will inform you of its gear score requirement, and then give you a brief summary of items that can drop, to include: T1 Armor(chest), Arms, Greaves, Helm, etc. It will also state a secondary item, such as Ring, Neck, Belt. This is how I know where everything drops, and hopefully now others do as well.

Also, added a new link to the main post.

I was already aware of this, I understand some question's gets tedious to answer. Although I simply got a shield from a t1 instance and it wasn't the same name as the one you were using I was just not sure if some items could drop as ''random'' items and not in the list. But thank you for the answer regardless.
    edited May 2013
    I was already aware of this, I understand some question's gets tedious to answer. Although I simply got a shield from a t1 instance and it wasn't the same name as the one you were using I was just not sure if some items could drop as ''random'' items and not in the list. But thank you for the answer regardless.

I wasn't really directing the answer to you, it was just a broad answer. My shield is T2. There are some 'off-set' type items that drop in instances as well.
    @rokuthy on Mindflayer
  • lyokiralyokira Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just an off-thought, but wouldn't knight's challenge be more suitable for the burn down strat? Granted you take more damage when using the skill, but having double damage about 30% of the time (which you can time to burst with other encounters/dailies) might make it more worthwhile..
    edited May 2013
    lyokira wrote: »
    Just an off-thought, but wouldn't knight's challenge be more suitable for the burn down strat? Granted you take more damage when using the skill, but having double damage about 30% of the time (which you can time to burst with other encounters/dailies) might make it more worthwhile..

Sure, I'll test it out.
    @rokuthy on Mindflayer
  • solidwolfysolidwolfy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    @ rokuthy

What base abilities did you go with when you made the character?
    edited May 2013
    solidwolfy wrote: »
    @ rokuthy

What base abilities did you go with when you made the character?

16/16/12 - 2 human bonus into con, so ended with:

16 str 18 con 12 dex
    @rokuthy on Mindflayer
    edited May 2013

Regards
    Valerion

The PvP gear is pretty good all around. It adds a lot of +Power, Defense and Deflection but lacks the extra defenses of the Stalwart Bulwark set. The big difference between the two is PvP gear gets +HP and +Power with +20% Guard meter and Stalwart Bulwark gets +Regen +Recovery with +25% Power. Basically if you get the PvP set, the only reasons you'll be running T1s are for the Accessories (rings, neck, belt, etc) and the hopes of getting the Stalwart Bulwark armor piece. I mean PvP gear alone should give you around 9000 odd rating so you're going to be really ahead of the curve.

The gloves are incredibly cheap on the Auction House and I picked up a pair for 9000 Diamonds. Otherwise most of the gear you will run into will be pretty much worthless. Even the Shield of the Crusher can be picked up for 2000 Diamonds on the Auction House and is even usable at 49! I bought mine for a couple of gold at 49 cause it's that common and Cloak Tower is extremely easy to farm for any group.
    nwsignature.jpg
    edited May 2013
    @ rokuthy
    What kind of stones do you use on stuff ?
    Crit or power ?
    edited May 2013
    @ rokuthy
    What kind of stones do you use on stuff ?
    Crit or power ?

Offense - recovery
    Defense - hp (defense on cat is - defense) = power
    Utility - movement cause nothing else
    @rokuthy on Mindflayer
    edited May 2013
    With the amount of recovery you're slotting and with the 10% cool downs what kind of reuse times do you see on your abilities?
    nwsignature.jpg
  • supjeremiahsupjeremiah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 569 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Rokuthy you need to get online. Grand Regent dropped for someone in my guild but he might sell it.
    Envy - 60 Guardian Fighter - Mindflayer

Wrath - 60 Great Weapon Fighter - Mindflayer

Envy's Guardian Fighter DPS Conqueror Guide

Youtube Channel

http://www.twitch.tv/supjeremiah
  • synozeersynozeer Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've got the chest for Grand Regent set. Let me know if you're interested.
    Guild: Chocolate Stand | Main: Hzarn (GF)/Danteel (HR) | Watch PvP Videos