test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Rokuthy's Hybrid Tanking Build (GF) for End Game PvE (and PvP) content.

1232425262729»

Comments

• Options
    konamorekkonamorek Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    How about the pet? Shall I buy green, blue or violet cat ?
  • Options
    silveralucardsilveralucard Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 410 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    best is still the blue cat, if you have a lot od AD to spare you can buy the purple one or upgrade your blue one, however for the cost is not worth it you will gain just 1 - 2% overall stats and using a rank 8 eldrich rune.
    Everything works out in the end . If it hasn't worked out yet, it isn't the end...
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    hmm, and how about the sets? I mean, is stalwart bulwark's set still viable? I have noticed that the graphichs of those items got changed and their stats a little bit too. And how about that 22% of armor penetration? I have the same build as u have added and my armor penetration is 90.
  • Options
    silveralucardsilveralucard Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 410 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    to ar pen you need to add the % of the Dex so you reach 24% with this build and the 15 dex (with the camp fire buff around 2250 arpen), as for armor, well stalwart is not viable anymore after the change, for this build is better to use timeless, grand regent is another option that will help, but timeless is the best
    Everything works out in the end . If it hasn't worked out yet, it isn't the end...
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    I have 17 DEX and it gives me 7% if I checked it well, so it isn't still 2250... So Timeless is viable for pvp and pve aswell?
  • Options
    fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    konamorek wrote: »
    I have 17 DEX and it gives me 7% if I checked it well, so it isn't still 2250... So Timeless is viable for pvp and pve aswell?

1645 Armor Penetration (17%) to get to 24% for PvE if you have 17 DEX.

Timeless is very viable for both general PvE and PvP. However, for any serious tanking, like kiting huge numbers of mobs, it is better to use a custom Regen+Deflection/Lifesteal set or one of the other tanking sets. An alternative is to swap in defensive jewelry and a defensive pet like Acolyte of Kelemvor if you have any trouble with survivability (I never do so, I do not have this setup yet).
  • Options
    sslothzzsslothzz Member Posts: 224 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Dunno, Timeless doesn't seem very good for me. Grand Regent is pretty much as expensive as Timeless, and pretty much as not optimal. Especially in pvp - i don't like the idea of triggering the set bonus (time waste). I use four random things in my pvp set, two of them are blue - and the toon rips enemies apart.
    Knight Captain is great for team buff, yet it is another T1. I still think it is the BiS for now.
    Devs have to realise that T1 GF sets are way better than T2.
  • Options
    crowdpleasingcrowdpleasing Member Posts: 30
    edited September 2013
    Does the power bonus from Grand Regent get doubled for conqueror spec?
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Does the power bonus from Grand Regent get doubled for conqueror spec?

4pc bonuses are buffs rather than item stats. Therefore, they are never affected by Reckless Attacker.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    fondlez wrote: »
    1645 Armor Penetration (17%) to get to 24% for PvE if you have 17 DEX.

Timeless is very viable for both general PvE and PvP. However, for any serious tanking, like kiting huge numbers of mobs, it is better to use a custom Regen+Deflection/Lifesteal set or one of the other tanking sets. An alternative is to swap in defensive jewelry and a defensive pet like Acolyte of Kelemvor if you have any trouble with survivability (I never do so, I do not have this setup yet).

i do agree you can play with your def stats in order to be tanky again, for example you can use a CN/MC shield and weapon set and change som Radiant defense (HP) for Deflection/Def so you are going to be tanky and DPs again.
    sslothzz wrote: »
    Dunno, Timeless doesn't seem very good for me. Grand Regent is pretty much as expensive as Timeless, and pretty much as not optimal. Especially in pvp - i don't like the idea of triggering the set bonus (time waste). I use four random things in my pvp set, two of them are blue - and the toon rips enemies apart.
    Knight Captain is great for team buff, yet it is another T1. I still think it is the BiS for now.
    Devs have to realise that T1 GF sets are way better than T2.

both are expensive right now cause they are both goods for hybrids that were following this guide con conqueror Spec.. timeless bonus can be triggered really easy XD in pve using enforced threat or frontline surge as first so when you hit 3 enemies you trigger the effect in dungeons basically the same if you use into the fray and you buff your pet and other 2 party member you will trigger the effect.

grand regent has more defense and less power than timeless at the end if you Gear enough both can be equally complicated to deal with, but if you were following this guide that means that your belts, rings, neck, are slotted for power so the best ooptions to work with are those 2.

Knigths captain i do agree is the best for your party at the end, but since with the buff is not affecting you then usually that set is used for tanking only.

i use timeless and i continue to be a really powerful oponenet in pvp, and i am able to tank the MC dragon ligthing bolt with the CN set/timeless and usually 2 in DPS chart, i slot into the fray for the party AP gain so we can continue to pop up dailies, i use power slotted rings and neck, and for pet ArPen like in this guide.
  • Options
    silentmorbussilentmorbus Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    hello,i have a queston...i love that class i always roll a tank in all mmorpg an GF is a great class,your quide was a revelation for me,but there is a riddle that i cannot resolve: i've selected tactical superiority feat but since then the combat superiority icon does appear on my foes no more,why? is that a bug? it works properly or not? plz help and ty again :)
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    hello,i have a queston...i love that class i always roll a tank in all mmorpg an GF is a great class,your quide was a revelation for me,but there is a riddle that i cannot resolve: i've selected tactical superiority feat but since then the combat superiority icon does appear on my foes no more,why? is that a bug? it works properly or not? plz help and ty again :)

Because it turns Combat Superiority into a passive increase in damage. Look at tooltips and your logs carefully with and without combat superiority equipped.
  • Options
    silentmorbussilentmorbus Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    ty so much :)
  • Options
    thaeorinthaeorin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Ok... I have been following this guide... (A+ guide, btw) and I have the armor, full set of Bulwarks. I have enchanted like listed... and my AP is only at 925 (9%)... I dont get it. I even put a Dark enchant in the blue belt... instead of a power one (gold one). What gives?
  • Options
    rabbinicusrabbinicus Member Posts: 1,822 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    thaeorin wrote: »
    Ok... I have been following this guide... (A+ guide, btw) and I have the armor, full set of Bulwarks. I have enchanted like listed... and my AP is only at 925 (9%)... I dont get it. I even put a Dark enchant in the blue belt... instead of a power one (gold one). What gives?

What rank are your enchants?
    Bear in mind that the guide hasn't been updated for a while and Stalwart's isn't optimal since it was nerfed this Summer.
    The right to command is earned through duty, the privilege of rank is service.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    rabbinicus wrote: »
    What rank are your enchants?
    Bear in mind that the guide hasn't been updated for a while and Stalwart's isn't optimal since it was nerfed this Summer.

Understatement of the year. Stalwarts went from being the best set in the game to the worst by a large margin. Literally any other set gear combination would be better. Any guide that still mentions Stalwarts is completely out of date and should really be closed for necro. I pity anyone who followed it and committed huge time and resources (remember the game is Bind on Pickup now) to get the set.

Also, it is worth noting that neither of the armor sets mentioned in this guide have Armor Penetration (ArP not "AP" which is something else entirely). So, you would have to gain ArP exclusively via your enchants, jewelry, weapons and/or your augment companion (Cat, Ioun Stone of Allure or Ioun Stone of Might). There are also 2pc from armor sets, like High General and Knight's Captain that grant ArP, and ironically that combination is probably one of the best now for both PvE and PvP.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    the only usefull part from this guide is timeless, still works with this build, but there are more optimal builds out there, i use timeless with the build after the fiasco with stalwart, however after i unlocked my boons i stopped playing neverwinter seriously so you better follow another guide since this one is oudated, still i have 17k GS with the MC sword and shield set and with this guide ;), still 24% maximun ARP rest on power, and depending on your build you should reach 3500 def and deflect ;)
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    SO.... now that I have "wasted my time"... is the build still good? What armor is suggested now? I am currently sitting on 12.2GS... but if the aggro, etc., isn't there... I might as well be sittin at 5k. Enchants are currently a mix at 5 to 7. I had this before and I had about 26% (I was gonna change over to Regents... but was told by another tank... that wasn't so good with this build...).
  • Options
    omgnicktakenomgnicktaken Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    they really should do something about the GF gearing options. I was thinking about coming back.. updated, logged on, saw the stal nerf.. looked over all the other sets to see if there is something else made viable - nope. I would have no problem farming for another set. Stal was op, i get it. The problem is - every single set out there atm seems complete garbage. The problem with the timeless is that it is just too easy to reach the soft cap on crit without the bonus, making it redundant. Thought about arpen 2 pc-s.. and again, even with rather low dex i feel like i have enough of it. Guardian is not the dedicated boss killer, so having 18-20% is more then enough and again easily obtained without the bonuses. So yeah.. don't ask for an advice about what the "best" set for the gf is atm.. cause they all sort of suck, some more then others.
  • Options
    rabbinicusrabbinicus Member Posts: 1,822 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    SO.... now that I have "wasted my time"... is the build still good? What armor is suggested now? I am currently sitting on 12.2GS... but if the aggro, etc., isn't there... I might as well be sittin at 5k. Enchants are currently a mix at 5 to 7. I had this before and I had about 26% (I was gonna change over to Regents... but was told by another tank... that wasn't so good with this build...).

You haven't wasted your time, you just have invested in some gear that is no longer nearly as useful as it once was. Timeless gear is still solid for conquerors as is High General, Grand Regent, and Knight Captain. Holding aggro is about both skills and damage, and requires active management.
    The right to command is earned through duty, the privilege of rank is service.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Ok... farming the equipment is not a problem... I suppose... the real question is where can I find an updated guide for a tank. I don't DPS... I have a GWF and a CW for that. I have always ran a tanky tank... well... until Neverwinter. I am looking for a viable tank spec, with a tank set. Any help would be appreciated. I almost have enough AD for the "cat"... but even with the cat and the armor set... with Dark enchants... I am going to have a really hard time getting 22% AP without sacrificing what I feel are tanking stats (hp, defense, etc.).
  • Options
    kolbe11kolbe11 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Ok... farming the equipment is not a problem... I suppose... the real question is where can I find an updated guide for a tank. I am going to have a really hard time getting 22% AP without sacrificing what I feel are tanking stats (hp, defense, etc.).

An "updated" build guide is not necessary for a tank build as those builds were largely unaffected by the changes made within the last 2 months. As such, I'd recommend a few things:

The "tankiest" armor sets are :
    1) Legendary Lliyanbruen Set
    2) Grand Regent Set
    3) Gauntlgrym Indomitable Champion Set

Depending on which one you pick determines WHAT you should stack. Example: You go for the Grand Regent set, but have low recovery, regeneration and ArP. So, you run out and buy:
    1) Thickgristle Belt for the regen when tanking mobs & bosses in DD's
    2) Ancient Slavemaster's Necklace Pow/Recov/Defense w/ Dark Enchant for ArP
    3) Ancient Necromancer's Rings x 2 w/ Azures for Defense
    4) Fabled Lliyanbruen weapon set for ArP

You don't REALLY need to have a huge amount of ArP if you are not going to be DPS'ing, BUT it helps to hold aggro if you can at least get their attention by hurting them a little.

Regardless of your choices, just think about building your GF AROUND the armor/weapons you choose, not what "build" mold you should fit into.
    "It is said that idle hands are the Devil's tools: Idle geek hands, however, came up with gunpowder, nuclear weapons, and toilet plungers." -Illiad
  • Options
    j0shi82j0shi82 Member Posts: 622 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I'm using 2x2 Regent/Feywild to go tanky with my Conq GF. I have 4k def 2k deflect and 1.5k regen which is more than enough for tanking purposes. Plus GG for kiting.
  • Options
    avertyoureyessavertyoureyess Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Has there been an update to this build for Tyranny of Dragons?
  • Options
    ernwingernwing Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I have a character based upon this build. Seems I have to redo all my feats with mod 4. What's changed?