What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Neverwinter maintenance - 05/09/13

Comments

• Options
    icecoldleoicecoldleo Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Welcome to the internet: where a MMORPG that is truly: a diamond breaking out of the rough, will cause forums to flood with complaints first on maintenance then on the status of the game...
  • Options
    s4bres4bre Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    reputation? u cant damage a value that equals Zero ^^ mentioning that mess STO in the same context with the term reputation is already close to cyberterrorism :D i played it for months hoping for new high level content....just to find myself starving off ..playing 2 or 3 instances to get the stupid marks,salvage etc for weapons i just needed to play the same 2 or 3 instances a bit better.. LULZ
  • Options
    kronykus420kronykus420 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    solyad1 wrote: »
    You test it in the closed betas like they did with SWTOR and refund everyone's currency when the game goes live. THAT is how you test the system wise guy.

Any more questions smartass?

and obviously everything just works and nothing slips through the cracks... fact is bugs are bugs and will continue to be found. beta is beta whether open, closed, or otherwise... beta is the time for testing the system as a whole. the level of beta is nothing but an indication of the amount of "bugginess". Just because they are accepting real money doesn't indicate the system is "live"... at this point there are no character wipes, meaning the money you spend isn't lost, wasted, or need to be refunded... it doesn't mean all the problems are fixed...
  • Options
    bishop2c3bishop2c3 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You seem like a knowledgeable bunch of guys, I just have two quick questions:

1. Would it be possible to put the maintenance notices in a persistent RSS feed, so we don't have to dig for them? I would love to add it to my guild news page.

2. The server status light on the launcher is green. Is that something that needs to be manually toggled or does it detect whether the server is being used or actually up? I can see if they are testing before they put it back online how it could show green. This is really confusing to people and defeats the whole purpose of the light. If they can work out something to make it show accurately, can this be added as a widget to my webpage too? It would be so nice.
  • Options
    aletresaletres Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2013
    wtf... i
  • Options
    whemmywhemmy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As far as I was concerned the normal time of maintenance was fine, OK it happened just after I got my daughter home from school (hence loads of EU cry-babys - because they are kids for the most part) what it has meant is that I've had all morning and most of the afternoon to play - which IMHO is great!

Maintenance is always needed on any sort of system, and one in Beta as this is, will need more than most, as far as the live/beta discussions go, the release status is down to the publishers and in this case it's clear it's beta - btw as regards RL money - NO ONE is forcing anyone to pay anything for anything, if you have spent money in a beta its really on your own back and you have no one to 'blame' as it is a beta - for all you know this could all end up being wiped prior to being set free/live!
  • Options
    jackdragon9jackdragon9 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    RMT means people pay for content. It means everything unless they are going to refund the money. Where does it say they are going to give me my money back?
    You know that a lot of people buy to get into certain closed betas. Like the closed beta they had earlier for founders. Are you trying to say that they aren't closed betas then?
  • Options
    okaminosukeokaminosuke Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 155 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Emergency maintenances exist in each and every online game. Stop crying already.
  • Options
    solyad1solyad1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 127 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Open beta vs. Closed Beta

Closed beta is generally used with a limited number of folks via a key to test certain mechanics and systems.

Open Beta is generally the first step into Live play with the one simple fact anyone and every one can login and play. This period of time means no wipes and no refunds on things purchased without proof a game break or bug. This is also when full stress testing is done and adjustments are made to help make the game more stable under situations that are not able to be tested during a closed beta.

This is defined by each MMO company differently. This just happens to be how Cryptic/PWE do things. if you don't like it find another game company.

They are taking RMT and will not be refunding it so the game is LIVE. Have a nice day.
  • Options
    ixandelixandel Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I believe they are doing network maintenance as well as server maint. At least the Dev post on the first page says Network maintenance.. so the serves could be up they just disabled login while they fix some network issue.
  • Options
    chucruteeeechucruteeee Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    so.. dishes are washed, floor is cleaned... hows this downtime going?
  • Options
    wmhdave2wmhdave2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Kudos to PW for having someone actually update us on the forums.
  • Options
    dskiperdskiper Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If they are taking money for a good or service, this thing is LIVE. You can keep telling yourself it isn't, but that doesn't negate the fact that people are paying for content and will not be refunded for what they have spent. RMT = LIVE.

You have no idea how program developing is going, do you?

Concept/Pre-Alpha: In this stage of development, the script is more of an abstract idea than an actual working program. Through this stage the coding starts and changes to functions are being made until a working draft is created.

Alpha: In this stage you have a working script, but it probably still has lots of bugs that need to be worked out. You might not have all your features yet, but the core of the program is running and can be tested extensively.

Beta: In this stage the program is near completion. All of the features are working and the software is often opened up to the public to test. There may still be some bugs that need to be worked out that may not have shown up in alpha testing. <- Neverwinter is here!

Final/Stable Release: After you have Beta tested your script for an amount of time, and feel that all the bugs have been worked out, you would release a final or stable version of the script. This is the last stage, and means that the script is complete and finished. This is often referred to as version 1.0 with any future changes making that number go up.

Source: http://php.about.com/od/programingglossary/qt/alpha_beta.htm
  • Options
    atomicoxyatomicoxy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    great work guys, cant wait to login in the game.
  • Options
    offkhochioffkhochi Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just now Server it's Close agian ?
  • Options
    tyfenriontyfenrion Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Shouldn't be long now according to their Twitter feed.
    "We drag with stiffening fingers, our swords and up the hill
    The path is steep and tangle, but leads to battles still"

~ Tyfenrion De'Fel, Menzoberranzan Renegade Wizard ~
    Beholder
  • Options
    paragon33paragon33 Member Posts: 134 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    -Yeah ever since a few updates ago I crash every 3rd or 4th time entering city. Never used to happen at all :/. This could be from coming back from quests to leaving dungeons or Arenas after Q. Very annoying... Its obviously a memory leak because RAMS (even on Gpu) is off the chart at that point. I do notice my Nvidia does not crash but my Radeon does. (both high end).
    -Also people now seem to be getting the "stuck at patching" problem after crashes (also new); which compounds with this issue lol.
    Its not the DNS flush issue from before that some had.

Let me say though, most of us appreciate your speed and great effort with keeping in contact with the player base. You are doing a great job overall. Plz keep it up and TY.

Mentions:
    -While were at it can you stop making us log out to switch characters... o.0
    -Less important "wtb" option for visibility of low lvl quests; its like looking for a needle in a haystack. And tons of people out lvl a skirmish quickly and end up not being able to get achievement because they lose access... Foundry, Qing content easily causes this...)
    -AH is still almost unusable; more so for selling. At least get the sorting fixed... (Its not worth it unless you have something really good.)
    I am personally a lil hmmm about the double dipping fee, feels a lil to steep? Its not the avg players fault you dumped 6k x2mil+ AD into the game... (aka of coarse its an AD sink; but still) The limit to daily AD conversion from raw mixed with this do kind of work against each other.

-Gold why even have it; should just be all AD because Gold usage is laughably useless. Its a nitch; which could be a lil more colorful with more purchasable uses. But hey being able to trade it for keys now is working well enough.

-Finally letting people replace drop outs or afks in pve/pvp would be nice....
    (..and probably atm more important then anything Ive mentioned.)

[Retracted; didn't come out the way I meant]

Sry just going off top of head while waiting for servers. (Not a rant) Im sure there are more important things I missed...
  • Options
    blackravenxinblackravenxin Member Posts: 20
    edited May 2013
    @solyad1 try this on for size during one of their CB's I think Rusty Hearts they made us spend real life cash to test the cash shop. This was BEFORE Cryptic entered the scene. They refunded the zen upon OPEN BETA but didn't refund any after that.

you have to follow the companies description of what closed beta, open beta, and live are. Not your own. Cryptic is saying the game is in open beta.

deal with it.
    if spending real money during OB bothers your then stop spending it and wait.

Sheesh...
  • Options
    mclearymcleary Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    They are taking RMT and will not be refunding it so the game is LIVE. Have a nice day.

The fact that it's "live" has no relevance, it is still in the beta phase of testing. This is indisputable, the fact that they are not refunding purchases, does not change the current state of the game. It does not magically fix problems with the net code, it doesn't magically add the upcoming class, it doesn't add the Drow Race, it doesn't add the companion tomes etc.
  • Options
    kronykus420kronykus420 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    dskiper wrote: »
    You have no idea how program developing is going, do you?

Concept/Pre-Alpha: In this stage of development, the script is more of an abstract idea than an actual working program. Through this stage the coding starts and changes to functions are being made until a working draft is created.

Alpha: In this stage you have a working script, but it probably still has lots of bugs that need to be worked out. You might not have all your features yet, but the core of the program is running and can be tested extensively.

Beta: In this stage the program is near completion. All of the features are working and the software is often opened up to the public to test. There may still be some bugs that need to be worked out that may not have shown up in alpha testing. <- Neverwinter is here!

Final/Stable Release: After you have Beta tested your script for an amount of time, and feel that all the bugs have been worked out, you would release a final or stable version of the script. This is the last stage, and means that the script is complete and finished. This is often referred to as version 1.0 with any future changes making that number go up.

Source: http://php.about.com/od/programingglossary/qt/alpha_beta.htm

++

gotta love people *****ing about subjects they don't understand
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    well there is no hope of this thread being useful, new page = more debate about the status of a game!!! This is the internet everyone who disagrees with you for more than 2 replies is never going to agree with you... At least not on a forum
  • Options
    blackravenxinblackravenxin Member Posts: 20
    edited May 2013
    icecoldleo wrote: »
    well there is no hope of this thread being useful, new page = more debate about the status of a game!!! This is the internet everyone who disagrees with you for more than 2 replies is never going to agree with you... At least not on a forum

quite true...unfortunatly
  • Options
    whemmywhemmy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hmm guess I get a green light on the initial screen faster than the login server kicks off
  • Options
    firkitupfirkitup Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Why is everyone complaining so much, Technically this is a free game it's your choice if you want to spend money on it.
    Anyone remember Everquest's frst 18 months it was down almost everyday and that had a monthly fee and people put up with it.
    If you enjoy the game then let them fix the issues and stop moaning as it will only make it better.
  • Options
    iluvatarrulesiluvatarrules Member Posts: 172 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

I dissagree
  • Options
    naeron1966naeron1966 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 58
    edited May 2013
    If they are taking money for a good or service, this thing is LIVE. You can keep telling yourself it isn't, but that doesn't negate the fact that people are paying for content and will not be refunded for what they have spent. RMT = LIVE.

No. If they tell you that the game is in Open Beta then it has not gone Live yet. If you want to pay money now you can, but you must accept that more frequent patches and maintenance are likely as the game is not ready for launch yet.
  • Options
    iluvatarrulesiluvatarrules Member Posts: 172 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

I disagree again
  • Options
    leyeguingleyeguing Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    what time is it?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    iluvatarrules your reasoning?
  • Options
    cmpinpointerrorcmpinpointerror Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Cryptic Developers, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Founder's Pack Users Posts: 646
    edited May 2013
    Update: We're ready to test internally very soon. Once all checks are complete, we'll be ready to open Neverwinter to our fans!
This discussion has been closed.