What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Foundry Nerf and Items

Comments

• Options
    rtiger3rtiger3 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't really see this problem in STO. The only particularly exploitative foundry STOs are the ones that lets you get the daily done in 5 minutes or less. That is still only once a day, and XP wise, it is generally better to do story missions or mirror grinding (And mirror can net you 3-4 levels an hour.)

As many of others have stated, stop reading farming as "Ogres in a barrel"
  • Options
    arktourosxarktourosx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 177 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Total shame.

I mean I get nerfing the exploit, but nerfing everything else in some giant blanket maneuver is pretty terrible. Now you not only make enough loot for it to be worth a **** (many maps are pretty combat intensive since you actually do get hit) but now you don't even make enough XP to consider it viable at all.

Hopefully this is just a band-aid fix till they can get a proper fix in for the exploits and then allow rewards again.
    nwsignature.jpg
  • Options
    angpeasant007angpeasant007 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You know what? never mind. Not worth getting into this argument.

For the record: Exploit mods and farming mods are not the same thing. You people need to quit saying that they are.
  • Options
    boydzinjboydzinj Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    rtiger3 wrote: »
    I don't really see this problem in STO. The only particularly exploitative foundry STOs are the ones that lets you get the daily done in 5 minutes or less. That is still only once a day, and XP wise, it is generally better to do story missions or mirror grinding (And mirror can net you 3-4 levels an hour.)

As many of others have stated, stop reading farming as "Ogres in a barrel"

I believe they want this foundry to be a story telling device (or monster killing that can kill the adventurer) of 15+ minutes or so.
  • Options
    darthannondarthannon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    egoboosted wrote: »
    Actually we're not....I have a group to do PnP RPing with...sorry you're without one, maybe you should address that instead of trying to enforce your playstyle on everyone else.

This isn't D&D, that's merely the setting and the skin on things, this is an Action MMO and as such there should be the options available for GAMERS not you people that just need to escape your reality.

"Egoboosted" indeed.

You are not the rule by which other gamers are measured. "Gamer" is a term that embrace many different aspects, and many different tastes and people. You have the hardcore gamers, which play any kind of game, console, PC, pen-and-paper, boardgames, tabletop, smartphones, anything as long as it can keep them entertained. Gaming is a life style for us, and as much of a "reality escape" as watching a movie or going to a concert.

Then there are casual gamers, people who only play bubble witch saga on facebook and the occational round of CoD on their Xbox. They play games mostly as a way to pass time when they aren't really doing anything else.

Then, there are the power-gamers who believe they are actually achieving anything in a game, who go our of their way to get everything done as quick and painless as possible, exploiting, boosting, anything, to quickly get to the "top" of their game.

I know which "gamer" I am, and I have gotten a decent idea of what kind of gamer you are, but we are both "GAMERS" and both of our wishes are equally important, and none of us has to bring the other down. Lets just play our game the way we want and not be rude or judgmental shall we?

Now, onto the topic at hand: Lowering XP is not the right way to address this issue, most of us can agree on that. As already mentioned, having no xp or loot makes foundry missions a waste of time, rather than what I liked about it: An alternative to the boring questline made by Cryptic.

I don't care about plays, ratings, tips, or anything like that. I love making foundry quests, I like to get the occational review of it, and I like to play, rate, review and tip other foundry quests.

What they should do instead is to change the way XP is allocated in a foundry quest. I am all for people wanting to just hack and slash the **** out of hordes of enemies, and see that XP bar rise by the second, and all those potions, greens and scrolls of identify come rushing at them like a tidal wave of loot goodies. That is fine, and not an exploit at all, that is just a quest designed for a certain audience.

Now, a Foundry Quest that exploits by cramming 250 enemies in a room, and exploit the enemy AI in a way where it is just a meatgrinder for AOE farm... Now that is not what the foundry was intended for. It wasn't like the devs (who decide what their game and tools are supposed to do) sat down and said "wouldn't it be cool to give players the way to exploit AI and aoe-farm to lvl 60 in three hours?". Thus, it is an exploit. Enemy intense, but also a bit more time consuming and challanging quests, are not exploits. It is a challange vs reward style of quest. It's hard, because you have to kill loads of enemies, but you get more XP and loot. Perfectly fine, and as intended, per developer's comment.

So how do they fix the exploit quests, not the farm quests? Find common "Indicators" that show that there is exploits in a quest.

Are all enemies crammed in one room? Check number of rooms and/or enemies/m^2. If any of these turn up as outrageous, disalow the "publish" option, much the same way as they do when you make unintentional mistakes. "Quest/Map Not complex enough."

Is the average playtime very low, but high amount of xp/min? then lower the exp for that specific quest. Wasn't there supposed,as per the E3 vid, to be an algorithm to do all this already btw..? Perhaps improve on the parameters or the algorithm itself, to lower xp for these kind of exploit quests automatically.

These two suggestions are just off the top of my head, but in my humble opinion, which I respect, both of these should at least be tried before punishing the entire playerbase by lowering xp on all quests, legit or no.

I really hope the devs rethink this.
  • Options
    darthannondarthannon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Are all enemies crammed in one room? Check number of rooms and/or enemies/m
  • Options
    culgrimculgrim Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Please keep in mind that this is still in Beta phase, and remember what that means. Perhaps this is to test how changes would be looked at. Regardless what we should be doing is going in there and TESTING it to see what it feels and plays like.
  • Options
    diswraithdiswraith Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    culgrim wrote: »
    Please keep in mind that this is still in Beta phase, and remember what that means. Perhaps this is to test how changes would be looked at. Regardless what we should be doing is going in there and TESTING it to see what it feels and plays like.

There is a live cash shop and they are making money. This is not a beta.
  • Options
    back2workback2work Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    tilt42 wrote: »
    I would venture the guess that the people who were grinding like hell through these Foundry missions mostly weren't the players who were going to pay for content anyway. Cryptic realizes this. It can be hard to understand what goes on behind the walls of a game studio at times, but I assure you they're not stupid. They make mistakes like anyone, but they don't do things at random.

Acually its rather the opposite..... i have a couple of friends who raced to lvl 60 to spend their cash. and when i say spend cash, 2 of them alrdy broke the $1k mark. they wanted to use the money on gear / items they will be using for a while not stuff they will out lvl in a day or two.
  • Options
    adamjm85adamjm85 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well with these changes I have little reason to continue with this game. I spent a great deal of time making Foundry Quests for people because I wanted them to experience adventure and better stories than were in the normal game. Now that playing through someone's hard work is little more than a waste of game time I see the Foundry becoming unused.
  • Options
    ellindar1ellindar1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You know what? never mind. Not worth getting into this argument.

For the record: Exploit mods and farming mods are not the same thing. You people need to quit saying that they are.

And 'you people' need to learn that we don't give a **** because to us its the same stupid thing. This is D&D. Go enjoy an adventure and quit trying to farm something that was meant to bring creative content to the game.
    Halls_Sig.jpg
  • Options
    horrorscope666horrorscope666 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 415 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    imivo wrote: »
    It's not black and white. With my "main character", who is at the level cap, I switch between story-driven, low combat quests for the experience and the creative aspects, and combat-heavy, more simple modules for the action and the potions/ID scrolls. Gold income is very limited when you are done questing through the zones, but expenses increase (major injury kits, potions, scrolls, crafting supplies). The latter doesn't seem viable anymore, so I will need to see if I can find a "grinding spot" in a regular zone. This is time that I won't spend on exploring foundry quests.

With my alts, well, I don't even know what to do about them right now. My plan had been to level them through a wide variety of foundry quests, leaving reviews and a tip for each of them. Different ones, none of the farming stuff. This provided both gear upgrades and XP. I just went through a medium combat module on my level 20'ish rogue and I found a grand total of zero green drops. XP was lower, as well, but still good enough for me. But no item drops, or very minimal drops, is a deal breaker for me. In a game like this, loot matters. Yes, story matters too, but if I only cared about the story, I'd flop on the couch and read a book.

I won't say, "I wish I had leveled my alts before this patch, like everyone else.", because that's cheap polemic and it isn't how I feel. But I feel "punished" (too strong a word) for something I didn't participate in, while those who did now have their characters at level 60 and are not even affected by the consequences of their actions.

Plus, I don't see why the drops were reduced. Not only why so drastically, but why they were lowered at all.

Yeah that is pretty solid logic there.

And just to state again in every mmo, you get in early because you will be able to exploit your way to the top and those coming behind you... will suffer with the changes. I'm waiting to see a game know this will happen and come in with an ultra conservative model and loosen up on it as they go.
  • Options
    chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Member Posts: 2,617 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    YOU CAN ONLY USE THE CREATIVE TOOL FOR PURPOSES I DEEM WORTHY. EVEN IF IT'S WITHIN THE RULES OF THE GAME.

Wow, a lot of people in this thread really seem to think they're the main character of neverwinter. O_o
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • Options
    giggliatogiggliato Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    hmm, some people play the Foundry for the stories that others have written, XP, loot? We care not for these things.
  • Options
    projectnarnarprojectnarnar Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    giggliato wrote: »
    hmm, some people play the Foundry for the stories that others have written, XP, loot? We care not for these things.

so you play the foundry for story stuff? this is an MMO not a solo game
  • Options
    s4kur1t4s4kur1t4 Member Posts: 15
    edited May 2013
    I just ran through a foundry quest, my inventory almost filled out from all the item drops, most of them being green, runes, also got about 5 scrolls and 3 potions, i don't see where this nerf is at the momment.
  • Options
    pilf3rpilf3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's pretty sad to say but I have avoided the foundry since OB because With all the whining and all the nerfage calls I was pretty sure this would happen and I didn't want to get used to a certain expectation only to have it taken away.

I will still keep away from the foundry for a good long while till I think they are done "fixing" things.

That said there needs to be a way to make gold to buy those pots and other goodies at endgame or peeps will get sick of it and leave.

For you DDO folks out there imagine being a lvl 25 toon and not being able to make enough money for your basic needs like repairing, pots and low lvl toon twinkage, when I say twinkage I speak of those like me that like to TR, have been playing for years and do not like to take 3 months to hit cap again.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Neverwinter Thieves Guild
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    s4kur1t4 wrote: »
    I just ran through a foundry quest, my inventory almost filled out from all the item drops, most of them being green, runes, also got about 5 scrolls and 3 potions, i don't see where this nerf is at the momment.

Yep did several just to see not much difference, the only thing I see now is there are no more quest that hand you XP and loot on a silver platter.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    valkrillvalkrill Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I had this idea that I would be able to play my first character following the Cryptic storyline and get it to max lvl then be able to lvl my alts using the foundry. Honestly that probably wont happen now which is sad. The thing is, I want nothing to do with the 50 Ogres EZ Xp <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. That being said I wasnt against it either. I wanted the ability to pick a different mission, one after the next and just lvl that way. I guess its still possible though I dont know how long it would take now. What exactly was the issue? Was it the kill xp was too high, or was it the completion/reward xp?

I agree that this nerf is going to effect this game in a bad way though. The fact remains that whether you do Foundry for the story or just doing for the xp/farming there needs to be a reward. While story alone is good enough for some, most players want to hit max lvl within a compareable amount of time to those who do Cryptic missions only.
  • Options
    stupidconversionstupidconversion Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There are people that live in dread fear that someone, somewhere, is having a good time.

People complain about different experiences or different paths constantly until everything they complain about is removed and all they have to complain about is how *boring* the game is now that everything they complained about has been removed.

And then they move on to the next game, and do the same thing. It is kind of amazing how *quickly* it happens these days.
  • Options
    sportvandorasportvandora Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There are people that live in dread fear that someone, somewhere, is having a good time.

People complain about different experiences or different paths constantly until everything they complain about is removed and all they have to complain about is how *boring* the game is now that everything they complained about has been removed.

And then they move on to the next game, and do the same thing. It is kind of amazing how *quickly* it happens these days.

Well said.
  • Options
    evardisfoxxevardisfoxx Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Well said.

I agree. Complaining that you can't farm one mob over and over again to powerlevel to 60 and ignore 90% of the game content in the process just so you can race to 60 and do that end game 10% remaining content over and over and over again, then *****ing to everyone on the forums and the devs and anyone who will listen about how unfair and imbalanced everything is and how everyone should listen to you and do things your way. I don't know what to say to those guys. They can't be helped.

There's some fair discourse to be had and fine tuning on this and that, of course, this is beta and player feedback is important, but "The 1%" of incredibly vocal and opinionated players objecting loudly and without offering constructive criticism, those players who trash talk the game in in-game chat where the devs are OBVIOUSLY not collecting your feedback from (try using a support ticket for your feedback or contacting them directly), and those guys trying to be Spartacus boycotting the game or saying they'll play something else or spend money elsewhere unless the devs change things, and their friends will quit too... stop. Just stop. I roll my eyes at thee.
  • Options
    pushiiitpushiiit Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    tagen wrote: »
    While I agree there should be *some* item drops from mobs in Foundry quests, if that is the ONLY reason people are playing then there are bigger problems. I play the Foundry quests for the stories and creativity of the authors and I will continue to play, drops or no drops.

The only reason I have played any quests in this game is because of the EXP and items. If I want a story I'll read a book that actually has a compelling story.
  • Options
    levitatemelevitateme Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think I'm totally going to advertise my non-grind map as a grind map now so that I can get some testers.
    Currently working on : Shopping Mall Security (NW-xxxxxxxxx)
    Author of the LGBT quest: Alternative Entertainment (NW-DHQPDNBZM)
  • Options
    wolonggongwolonggong Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    pushiiit wrote: »
    The only reason I have played any quests in this game is because of the EXP and items. If I want a story I'll read a book that actually has a compelling story.

This.

if the people claiming the foundry should only be about story would start making threads DEMANDING that all XP, loot, money be removed from all foundry quests...then I will start to believe them, and how disconnected they are from gaming as a whole.
  • Options
    ctans03ctans03 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't see why the people who spend countless hours meticulously crafting enjoyable experiences should suffer because of individuals who are exploiting the system. When the exploiters forced Cryptic's hand to remove xp and such from Foundry quests, they also discouraged many players from exploring the content available from the Foundry. The vast majority of gamers look at time vs. reward, and right now, there is little to no reward for both the Foundry creators and players because of those who exploited.
  • Options
    sirsitsalotsirsitsalot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    pilf3r wrote: »
    That said there needs to be a way to make gold to buy those pots and other goodies at endgame or peeps will get sick of it and leave.

There is. It's called buying Zen and purchasing Astral Diamonds and buying things on the Auction House.

There is a reason why they don't want a FLOOD of item drops. Too many hit the AH, the prices get driven down. Fewer ADs needed. Fewer ADs needed, less need for Zen.

It's ALL about Zen sales. Why? Because that is this game's ONLY revenue stream.

Also, if one could fast-grind XP then it won't be long until you hit max level... And unless Cryptic is really doing something different with NW than they have with CO and STO before it, once you get to endgame, you will be inundated with repetitive <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> with it taking months for new stuff to come out, and when it does it will just be more of the same.

So in a way, the foundry nerf probably did you a favor, if you look at it from a certain point of view...

I mean really. Once you hit max level and get max gear, what's left in terms of progression. Nothing you can play in the game will give you anything you need. So even the core game would be as poinless as some of you guys feel the Foundry has been made...
    I'm not really a John Galt,
    but I play one on the forums...
    :P
  • Options
    angpeasant007angpeasant007 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ellindar1 wrote: »
    And 'you people' need to learn that we don't give a **** because to us its the same stupid thing. This is D&D. Go enjoy an adventure and quit trying to farm something that was meant to bring creative content to the game.

Sooo...when Sergeant Knox sends me on a mission to kill a dungeon full of bandits, that's TOTALLY different than when a Foundry mission tells me to go kill...a dungeon full of bandits?

And for the record: I have played both types of quests in the Foundry. So, well, there goes your lame insult towards me. If your story mods are as pitiful as that, I'll make sure to steer clear of them.

Heavens to Besty: Someone likes different things than someone else!

burn-the-witch-burn-witch-kill-monty-python-demotivational.jpg

You all just really, REALLY need to stop worrying about what other people choose to do with their time. As I pointed out in another post: even if you got rid of every single farming quest (NOT to be confused with actual exploit mods that hinders the enemies AI) the farmers MIGHT play your story, but they won't read a single word or give a single <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> about how much time, love, blood, sweat, tears, and Mountain Dew you put into your piece of work. They'll just follow the glowy trail and kill the mobs in their way. You will not, I repeat, NOT change their perspective on anything. None of them will "see the light" and think that grinding was just the wrong way to go about things. They won't become the new prophet and tell their friends their tale about how now their viewpoint has been changed. Sorry. Your stuff, NOBODY'S stuff, will ever be that good.

Hate to burst your self-righteous, holier-than-thou bubbles.

P.S. When you say that this is D&D I will assure you that I have played D&D and I can inform you that I've played a lot of D&D hack and slash dungeons as well as role-play campaigns. There isn't just one way to play D&D you know.
  • Options
    imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    There is a reason why they don't want a FLOOD of item drops. Too many hit the AH, the prices get driven down. Fewer ADs needed. Fewer ADs needed, less need for Zen.

Foundry quests only drop green items, and green items have no AH value. Doing even the easiest of the epic dungeons, Cloak Tower, takes about twenty minutes and yields 2-4 epic items and various blues, and Dungeon Delve awards another 5 (one for each player) blue or purple items. These flood the AH and prices are already very low.

Stuff that is sellable on the AH has never come from Foundry quests.
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • Options
    ysil6969ysil6969 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The fix for this is pretty simple. Once a foundry mission receives a high enough rating, devs review it for possible exploits. No exploits found it gets promoted to full fledged foundry mission (100% exp) If edited it has to go through a review again.