test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Foundry Nerf and Items

mrgobgob34mrgobgob34 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 7 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Foundry
Before I even state my issue, I agree that what they did needed to be done, exp wise. It was dumb to be able to get that much experience doing so very little. But if they don't at least change it back so that items drop from mobs, I feel like people will stop doing foundry's all together. I have done 6 foundry's after the maint, and I received about 8 items, half of which being grey items. I used to do a few when I was low on diamonds, and needed a few more potions, or identification scrolls. Now I don't receive any at all.

I know that might seem like a silly argument to make, but I really enjoyed the mobs dropping the little items (potions), and the very occasional blue or green.

Let me know what you all think, if you agree or disagree.
Post edited by mrgobgob34 on

Comments

• Options
    theaszuretheaszure Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I agree there is no incentive at all for me to do foundry content now which is a shame as some people put A LOT of effort in making awesome ones. (not talking about the exploited sh*t)
    [XBOX] - Malvious - Oathbound Paladin
  • Options
    mrgobgob34mrgobgob34 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Exactly, as it stands right now I have no desire to do foundry's, for anything.
  • Options
    tagentagen Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    While I agree there should be *some* item drops from mobs in Foundry quests, if that is the ONLY reason people are playing then there are bigger problems. I play the Foundry quests for the stories and creativity of the authors and I will continue to play, drops or no drops.
  • Options
    crazydavekecrazydaveke Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    tagen wrote: »
    While I agree there should be *some* item drops from mobs in Foundry quests, if that is the ONLY reason people are playing then there are bigger problems. I play the Foundry quests for the stories and creativity of the authors and I will continue to play, drops or no drops.

+1 and AMEN to that!!
  • Options
    eros1986eros1986 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Congratulations people, you just made the foundry useless. ;)
    It was an awesome tool for xp/farming, especially for alts.

Why didn't they just add a TAB for xp foundry is out of my mind.
  • Options
    zaphtasticzaphtastic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    eros1986 wrote: »
    Why didn't they just add a TAB for xp foundry is out of my mind.
    Yes, something like that would be the best solution -- preferably as part of a tagging system so the farmers can farm, the 'hardmode' people can have their challenge quests, and story authors can tell their stories.

However, that would be tacit admittance (and dev approval) of the fact that a large portion of the playerbase wants to use the Foundry for powerlevelling/farming. We asked the exact same thing in COH (which was very much 'plagued' by farm quests to the point that it was impossible to find story quests), and never got an answer. Here's hoping it goes down differently here... though right now things aren't looking promising.
  • Options
    vertisonevertisone Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 67
    edited May 2013
    Foundry is a powerful tool for roleplayers, players who want to tell a story, and those who want to experience them. It is like reading an awesome book, do you actually get anything out of it besides a good read? I don't think it was ever intended for farming and XP farming. There are other ways of doing this, Foundry just is no longer one of them.
  • Options
    quorforgedquorforged Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Please explain why other people (a majority of players in fact) wanting to play Foundry quests for reasons that differ from yours is a "problem"?
  • Options
    hardrokkahardrokka Member Posts: 34
    edited May 2013
    Action really was required, but I think they went about it way too rashly. These nerfs punish everybody who uses Foundry maps. It will do nothing but deter people from making/playing with Foundry. THIS IS A VERY BAD MOVE!

These are my suggestions on how to fix these issues;

Player characters are cloned when they first play a Foundry map.
    XP gained and items achieved only affect the clone in the Foundry maps.
    Doing this means that players can quest and level up in Foundry without it affecting their
    Neverwinter experience.

This should be a wake up call.

If Foundry fails, Neverwinter will fall apart very quickly.
  • Options
    eros1986eros1986 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    vertisone wrote: »
    Foundry is a powerful tool for roleplayers, players who want to tell a story, and those who want to experience them. It is like reading an awesome book, do you actually get anything out of it besides a good read? I don't think it was ever intended for farming and XP farming. There are other ways of doing this, Foundry just is no longer one of them.

Roleplayer's and PnP, the fun killers of this game ^^

MMO work only if people have fun, you may have fun reading a wall of text inside a game while others have fun killing endless enemy. favoring one category more than another lead only to unhappy customers.
  • Options
    vertisonevertisone Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 67
    edited May 2013

MMO work only if people have fun, you may have fun reading a wall of text inside a game while others have fun killing endless enemy. favoring one category more than another lead only to unhappy customers.

There are other ways to grind mobs and farm XP, why do you need the foundry to do this when it is already available to everyone? THe only difference is that you now have to leave town.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

If you think mindlessly grinding is fun, then you're playing the wrong game! D&D has always been about story telling.
    This is what is wrong with RPGs today. Everybody is obsessed with a false sense of achievement. I bet only a small minority of players actually even read the dialogue in quests!

If you want to grind non-stop. Go play one of the countless asian RPGs that do exactly that.
  • Options
    egoboostedegoboosted Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

So....because this was the way you used it, it means it's the intended way?

Comparing the Foundry to reading a book is asinine. PART of any "Role-Playing" experience is also CHARACTER development. This was a knee-jerk reaction that really made it pointless to do the Foundry at all, over ANY other kind of content.

Suggestions such as those from "hardrokka" are also completely pointless and useless. I don't care about my "Neverwinter Leveling Experience", like most players I care about the endgame. The "middle-game" is just a means to an end, meant to keep me playing long enough to learn my class and line Cryptics pockets a little bit.

I agree that where it was isn't a good place, but now we're at the other end of the spectrum, fortunately this is a free game so when I walk away from it I'm not losing anything more than the $60 I put in. But this will lead to the death of the game...period.
  • Options
    tagentagen Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    quorforged wrote: »
    Please explain why other people (a majority of players in fact) wanting to play Foundry quests for reasons that differ from yours is a "problem"?

Because if playing Foundry quests is done ONLY for the xp and item drops, then that would imply the xp and items are better or more easily acquired in foundry content than in normal content.

I am not saying that those who play differently than I do are wrong, just that if player-created content is ONLY used to more efficiently/easily farm items, then balance is very off somewhere.
  • Options
    egoboostedegoboosted Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    hardrokka wrote: »
    If you think mindlessly grinding is fun, then you're playing the wrong game! D&D has always been about story telling.
    This is what is wrong with RPGs today. Everybody is obsessed with a false sense of achievement. I bet only a small minority of players actually even read the dialogue in quests!

If you want to grind non-stop. Go play one of the countless asian RPGs that do exactly that.

Actually we're not....I have a group to do PnP RPing with...sorry you're without one, maybe you should address that instead of trying to enforce your playstyle on everyone else.

This isn't D&D, that's merely the setting and the skin on things, this is an Action MMO and as such there should be the options available for GAMERS not you people that just need to escape your reality.
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Some of us argued this with Star Trek Online. The problem is that we're trying to write stories for a game that kept adding mindless grind after mindless grind where the goal was to shoot people in the face. At some point, some of us had to accept that we are writing stories for a different kind of game.

The folks grinding the Foundry are simply playing the Foundry like the devs designed most of the game to be played. Maybe I'm wrong, since I have yet to play NW.

How much of this game, in general, is about a rich story and how much of it is rinse and repeat?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    shauncatshauncat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This isn't D&D. It is an MMORPG that licenses IP from a Dungeons & Dragon campaign setting.

Perfect World is a Taiwanese corporation.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    There are other ways to grind mobs and farm XP, why do you need the foundry to do this when it is already available to everyone? THe only difference is that you now have to leave town.

Untrue, not in any efficient way. At least have an example or a clue before you spew out ignorant comments.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    egoboosted wrote: »
    Untrue, not in any efficient way. At least have an example or a clue before you spew out ignorant comments.

your definition of efficient is obviously not the developer's definition of efficient as shown in the latest patch. sucks for you.
  • Options
    chonir01chonir01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 141 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

If injury kits were not 20s a pop and pots were not 7.5s a pop I would'ent have to grind now would I?

The dev's forced the grind when they put those prices on items and gave us so few ways of getting gold. The main currency is AD, where the hell is the AD vendor that sells potions / Injury kits? Until you can answer that you have nothing worth saying to me.

I enjoy running the T1 / T2 epics. I'm required to have injury kits for the wipes that happen, Go on tell me how you NEVER wipe in T2's? Or maby your entire party plays cuddles around the campfire for 5 mins after every wipe? You dont use potions in T2s? What the hell am I saying .. your level 15 .. none of this computes for you at all does it.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    your definition of efficient is obviously not the developer's definition of efficient as shown in the latest patch. sucks for you.

I hope you enjoy eating your words, mark mine kiddo, this will change.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    egoboosted wrote: »
    I hope you enjoy eating your words, mark mine kiddo, this will change.

i want to thank you personally for supporting the developers by the way for MY enjoyment, i have yet to drop a single penny. stay classy.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    i want to thank you personally for supporting the developers by the way for MY enjoyment, i have yet to drop a single penny. stay classy.

You do seem like that type.

Fortunately $60 is literally nothing to me, so you're welcome. Hey...I paid my taxes also so that you and your type can continue collecting your "benefits".
  • Options
    rtiger3rtiger3 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I can't say I agree with the nerf at all. While I can agree that ogre shooting gallery is a blatant abuse of the system, legit ogre farming maps (Where the ogre can actually kill you) is little more then just XP grinding, and isn't much easier then any other map. The main difference here is that all your really getting is XP, and your missing out on storyline and story awards, as well as bonus XP that comes with completing story quests.

The real point here is which is faster, XP wise? Grinding in an ogre farm, or completing quests in the main storyline? If foundry grinding is indeed faster, then simply cut foundry XP in half. As things are now, with foundry worth no XP or items, I will NEVER do a foundry mission, not even for the daily mission.
  • Options
    quorforgedquorforged Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If you think mindlessly grinding is fun, then you're playing the wrong game!

eros didn't say mindless grinding.

Fun combat killing lots of monsters is not mindless grinding.
    D&D has always been about story telling.

Not true. Early D&D was barely about story telling at all. It was a more of a "lets see if we can survive a dungeon delve and steal some loot" game. People barely cared about the characters at all, and backstory was pretty much "this guy is my last guy's twin brother".

And furthermore, this is a video game. Video game RPGs aren't really about roleplaying any more than any other video game. They just use mechanics that originated in PnP RPGs.

RPGs are games. There's nothing "wrong" with wanting to play a game to the best of one's ability, and having fun doing that. Quest dialog is tangential to gameplay. There's nothing "wrong" with not caring about it.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    shauncat wrote: »
    Perfect World is a Taiwanese corporation.

Perfect World only published Neverwinter. Cryptic Studios designed it. They are a US company.
  • Options
    imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

It's not black and white. With my "main character", who is at the level cap, I switch between story-driven, low combat quests for the experience and the creative aspects, and combat-heavy, more simple modules for the action and the potions/ID scrolls. Gold income is very limited when you are done questing through the zones, but expenses increase (major injury kits, potions, scrolls, crafting supplies). The latter doesn't seem viable anymore, so I will need to see if I can find a "grinding spot" in a regular zone. This is time that I won't spend on exploring foundry quests.

With my alts, well, I don't even know what to do about them right now. My plan had been to level them through a wide variety of foundry quests, leaving reviews and a tip for each of them. Different ones, none of the farming stuff. This provided both gear upgrades and XP. I just went through a medium combat module on my level 20'ish rogue and I found a grand total of zero green drops. XP was lower, as well, but still good enough for me. But no item drops, or very minimal drops, is a deal breaker for me. In a game like this, loot matters. Yes, story matters too, but if I only cared about the story, I'd flop on the couch and read a book.

I won't say, "I wish I had leveled my alts before this patch, like everyone else.", because that's cheap polemic and it isn't how I feel. But I feel "punished" (too strong a word) for something I didn't participate in, while those who did now have their characters at level 60 and are not even affected by the consequences of their actions.

Plus, I don't see why the drops were reduced. Not only why so drastically, but why they were lowered at all.
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • Options
    bleakhartbleakhart Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    People are much less likely to do foundry missions now, period. I don't care how story driven some people are the majority are still going to want some modicum of a reward for the time they sank into the mission. Lets say TR#6342 goes in with his hireling to do Foundrymission1337 with a estimated play time of 41minutes, while his GF#9 buddy gos dungeon slumming for roughly the same time (varies by dungeon but just try to keep up with the rough examples im laying out).

TR#6342 pops out later, he enjoys the mission and its story but other then a warm fuzzy feeling inside he has little to show for the 41 some odd minutes he just spent doing it. He gives a nice review, four stars but dosnt leave a tip because well now he needs to go farm up AD to buy that really expensive retrain token so he can oneshot GF#9 later in pvp.

GF#9 on the other hand is cuddling up with the auctioneer, putting up the nice blue he just got for probably 50k-100k AD, after that hes going see about where he wants to put that power point he just earned when he leveled in that dungeon. Oh hey he even made a friend look at that! GF#9's friend list is getting bigger, he might even make a guild now with their help!

(Moral of the story, foundry will see less action, GF#9 will call for TR nerfs.)
  • Options
    zaphtasticzaphtastic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    imivo wrote: »
    It's not black and white. With my "main character", who is at the level cap, I switch between story-driven, low combat quests for the experience and the creative aspects, and combat-heavy, more simple modules for the action and the potions/ID scrolls. Gold income is very limited when you are done questing through the zones, but expenses increase (major injury kits, potions, scrolls, crafting supplies). The latter doesn't seem viable anymore, so I will need to see if I can find a "grinding spot" in a regular zone. This is time that I won't spend on exploring foundry quests.

With my alts, well, I don't even know what to do about them right now. My plan had been to level them through a wide variety of foundry quests, leaving reviews and a tip for each of them. Different ones, none of the farming stuff. This provided both gear upgrades and XP. I just went through a medium combat module on my level 20'ish rogue and I found a grand total of zero green drops. XP was lower, as well, but still good enough for me. But no item drops, or very minimal drops, is a deal breaker for me. In a game like this, loot matters. Yes, story matters too, but if I only cared about the story, I'd flop on the couch and read a book.

I won't say, "I wish I had leveled my alts before this patch, like everyone else.", because that's cheap polemic and it isn't how I feel. But I feel "punished" (too strong a word) for something I didn't participate in, while those who did now have their characters at level 60 and are not even affected by the consequences of their actions.

Plus, I don't see why the drops were reduced. Not only why so drastically, but why they were lowered at all.
    This this this. People, stop seeing things in black and white. There isn't a "them" and "us". There are NW players, and that's it (note that I'm not talking about exploiting... that's obviously over the line).

I personally dislike farming, and you won't see me doing any quests anytime soon. However, many of my guildies liked to play farm quests in COH (same system as the foundry) for various reasons. Maybe they want to play something easy to wind down. Maybe they want a reliable way of making some (currency) without being bothered by others. Maybe they want to see how powerful their character is. Maybe they want to rush past a certain set of 'hell levels' after they exhausted normal levelling options (or the quests are REALLY bad for that range). Who cares? Let them! None of this affects your gameplay, or mine.
  • Options
    isakongmingisakongming Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?204272-Foundry-Missions-took-a-hammering

Yep, already talk in guild chat about quitting once they finish the main content. The foundry was going to be an unending amount of guild content for us and it was killed in one blow.

Cost is now greater than the reward, its nothing more than a money sink now. and why? people making too much gold in a game where gold = no actual value because it CANNOT RUIN an economy based on AD and ZEN and you cant use gold to get EITHER of them!

And THAT is the point...you can have 100000000000000 gold and it gets you nothing other than potions and injury kits! Oh wait, I forgot that it would mean I could buy an endless supply of garbage companions and mounts also. Stupid nerf...nixing the XP I can understand so people cant powerlevel but gold? items? Nerfing blues would be understandable but from what I heard, they were not dropping often.